daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 27th, 2013, 03:31 PM   #1241
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6152

Quote:
Originally Posted by radamfi View Post
There is an express bus service running from Alkmaar to Leeuwarden every hour, 7 days a week, with clever connection possibilities at Den Oever so that passengers from Den Helder and Hoorn can also travel to Leeuwarden with virtually no waiting in Den Oever as the bus schedules are carefully coordinated.

What I find bizarre is why the bus service along the Afsluitdijk is so good whereas there is no service between Lelystad and Enkhuizen along the N302. The train alternative is a long detour via Amsterdam.
I've taken the bus from Enkhuizen to Lelystad a few years ago. That's gone now?
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 27th, 2013, 08:24 PM   #1242
radamfi

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
I've taken the bus from Enkhuizen to Lelystad a few years ago. That's gone now?
I had a look at 9292.nl and I can't see any bus options. I remember looking at the bus stop at Enkhuizen station a couple of years ago and noticed it was down to 1 bus a day, early in the morning.

I now realise that it still runs once a day, but only on school days, which is why nothing is showing on 9292.nl as it is school holidays now.

http://wiki.ovinnederland.nl/wiki/Li...tion_/_Centrum
radamfi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2014, 11:12 PM   #1243
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26128

Today:

Quote:
http://www.globalrailnews.com/2014/0...ilway-station/

Design/build contract winner announced for Dutch railway station
6 JAN, 2014

Strukton and VenhoevenCS have been awarded a design/build contract for a new station in Alkmaar.

Awarding authority ProRail is leading a redevelopment of the station as part of a wider regeneration of the city, which lies north of the Dutch capital of Amsterdam.

Strukton said its bid “contributes to the maximum revaluation of the station vicinity and the public space around the station”.

Construction is expected to begin later this year and be completed by the end of 2015.

The station will remain open throughout the redevelopment – a challenge Strukton believes it is experienced in managing, with the company already involved in a major transformation of Utrecht Centraal station.
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2014, 01:02 PM   #1244
dimlys1994

Today on Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/f...perations.html

Husa Transportation to cease rail operations
07 Jan 2014

NETHERLANDS: Husa Transportation Group has announced that it is to close down its Husa Transportation Railway Service rail freight activities, with the loss of around 75 jobs, disposal of 20 locomotives and planned sale of the HTRS Süd business in Germany. The group's other logistics activities are not affected.

HTRS was launched 10 years ago with the acquisition of ACTS, initially hauling domestic refuse before expanding into the international container market.

The company has been working 'in a highly competitive environment with difficult market conditions such as ever-increasing prices for infrastructure and a non-existent "level playing field" with respect to alternative modes', said founder and CEO Rob van Gansewinkel. 'After almost 10 years, we feel like a dog which is running in circles'. The business has made an ongoing loss despite an annual turnover of €35m for the rail activities.

'We must regret that the privatisation of the railway market has failed us, and it seems that in the long run only the former state-owned enterprises and a few listed companies seem to survive in this market,' said van Gansewinkel. He estimated that turnover of at least €200m would be needed to ensure a viable business.
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 03:37 PM   #1245
dimlys1994

Today:

Quote:
http://www.globalrailnews.com/2014/0...grand-opening/

Rotterdam Centraal prepares for grand opening
10 JAN, 2014

Rotterdam’s brand new international rail station, Rotterdam Centraal, is to open on March 13, concluding a seven-year project to improve the Netherlands high-speed connection to the rest of Europe.

The new station is covered by a huge 250-metre-wide roof and will house platforms for national rail services, the city’s metro system and high-speed services from France and Belgium.

Rotterdam is the first stop for many international high-speed services arriving in Holland and with passenger numbers expected to triple between now and 2025, the decision was taken to demolish the old station, designed by architect of Sybold Ravesteyn, and start again.

The opening will provide the opportunity for a double celebration, with 2014 also being the 175th birthday of the Dutch railway network.

Old January 11th, 2014, 08:50 PM   #1246
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Interesting data (shot with a potato) about suicide rates in Europe, focused on suicides in railway.

Despite a general suicide rate below average, NL has a much higher rate of suicide using the railway.

I wonder if there is a cultural reason for this.
My explanation also includes the fact that, since we're talking about absolute low numbers, even random factors may lead to high percentages.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 09:49 PM   #1247
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

When was the last revenue regular service pulled by steam locos in NEtherlands finally withdrawn?
Old January 12th, 2014, 02:00 AM   #1248
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Somewhere in the sixties I believe.

Regarding suicide rates: for some odd reason you can find a lot of mental institutions in close proximity of the railway. I suspect this adds something to the amount of suicides committed each year. Furthermore, Dutch trains run on a high frequency at high speeds and are overall quite punctual, all in all the success factor of this method is very high, unfortunately. To mitigate suicides along the railway, ProRail is adding lots of extra fences which should act as a first barrier.
Old January 12th, 2014, 02:21 PM   #1249
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 791

The last service was on the 7th of January, 1958 by loc 3737, traveling from Geldermalsen to Utrecht Maliebaan (National Railway museum)

Suburbanist, BringMe liked this post
da_scotty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2014, 02:50 PM   #1250
Suburbanist
on the road

That is earlier than I thought, considering Netherlands had and still has vast coal deposits in Limburg.

However, I don't want to imagine how bad air quality was around busy lines like Utrecht-Amsterdam with all the filth byproducts of coal-fired steam locos.
Old January 12th, 2014, 02:52 PM   #1251
Suburbanist
on the road

I like the New Rotterdam Centraal station a lot. The entrance lobby is quite impressive.

Rotterdam C. and Arnhem C. are the two best station projects in Netherlands IMO.
Old January 13th, 2014, 03:56 AM   #1252

Likes (Received): 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_scotty View Post
The last service was on the 7th of January, 1958 by loc 3737, traveling from Geldermalsen to Utrecht Maliebaan (National Railway museum)
I did what ?
Still it's sad to see that most of the Dutch steam locomotives were scrapped. Only a few survived and most dutch herritage railways uses German steam locomotives.

Also this year the Dutch railway exists 175 years.
Does someone know if they will celebrate it like they did in 1989 ?
3737 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2014, 09:05 AM   #1253
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3737 View Post
Still it's sad to see that most of the Dutch steam locomotives were scrapped. Only a few survived and most dutch herritage railways uses German steam locomotives.
Did the construction plans survive? Could they be built from scratch? They have done that in the UK.
Old January 13th, 2014, 10:57 AM   #1254
Go Ahead Eagles

Likes (Received): 1172

@Rotterdam Centraal
image hosted on flickr

Slagathor, Wilhem275 liked this post
Go Ahead Eagles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2014, 11:07 AM   #1255
Red85
AARRGGHH

Likes (Received): 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
Today:
Complete overdone next to this gem:

Redicilous and hidious peace of crap which is out of it's element in that area designed by an idiot who has'nt even visited the site I guess.

Slagathor liked this post
Red85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2014, 04:49 PM   #1256

Likes (Received): 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
Did the construction plans survive? Could they be built from scratch? They have done that in the UK.
Yes that should be possible in most occasions.
There were plans for the 175 year anniversary to rebuild the SHM 814 altough it is postponed due to financing problems.
And there are plans to rebuild a NS 3500 blauwe "brabander".
This plan is probably also postponed because it was part of the bidding for the cultural city of Europe for 2018 for the cities in the province Brabant. But Leeuwarden will become cultural city of Europe for 2018.

In the UK and Germany a lot of steam engines were send to a railway yard to rot away like for example Barry scrapyard or Hermeskeil but in that case a lot of steam engines were saved from those railway yards for herritage railways.
The president of the Dutch railways from 1947-1959 (Den Hollander) was a man who modernized the Dutch railways after WW2. He prefered to rapidly electrify the Dutch railway network and hated steam engines because they were old and expensive. In WW2 most of the EMU's and DMU's were stolen or destroyed by the germans. In the first few years the Dutch railway was rebuild the remaining dutch steam engines and steam engines from the UK/Germany/Swiss and even Sweden. After most of the railway infrastructure was rebuild and the first the newly EMU's and DMU's went into service mid 50s.
Most of the mainline steam engines were downgraded to shunting or imediately scrapped. There even goes a rumour that one day in the late 50s Den Hollander saw a steam engine on the main line towing a goods train instead of one of the new mainline diesels. He got furious and demanded that the steam engine would be scrapped the next day which happened.

Some steam engines were preserved at the National Railway museum in Utrecht but aren't drivable (SpM). Some of the smaller locomotives which were used for tramways and shunting tasks were preserved for heritage railways (MBS, SHM).

At the moment none of the remaining Dutch locomotives are allowed to drive on the mainline due to the fact that they aren't equipped with ATB or they don't work.

A list of all the remaining pre war Dutch steam engines

SS 657 "Frog" (Working at MBS)
NS 6513 (Rebuild at SHM)
NS 7742 "Bello" (Working at SHM)
Eagle (Replica of first steam engine, working SpM)
NS 705 (not working SpM)
NS 1010 "Nestor" (not working SpM)
NS 1326 "Big Green" (Not working SpM)
NRS 107 (Not working SpM)
NS 3737 "Jumbo" (Not working SpM)
2104 "Blikken Tinus" (Not working SpM)
NS 6317 "Brute" (Not working SpM)
3737 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 03:17 AM   #1257
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Questions about the development of Den Haag - Rotterdam.

1) The current junction between Den Haag HS and Centraal/Laan van NOI has no grade separation, and this seems a bit substandard, compared to other main nodes in Randstad.
Are there any plans to build a flying junction?
West of HS station there's plenty of space, although it would be much more funcional to build it on the east side of the station, to keep the advantage of island platforms interchange. Laan van NOI doesn't have such setup and that is a pity (but the frequency of Metro can compensate this problem).

2) I understand that the plan is to have four tracks also between Rijswijk and Schiedam, and the Delft tunnel is being built according to this. Will works on the whole line begin with the second half of the tunnel, on will it be a third phase?

3) What will be the setup of Schiedam - Rotterdam C.? I mean, how the Hoek v.H. line will be arranged into these four tracks.

The Hoek v.H. line is pretty bizarre: a dedicated two-tracks line which runs in the middle of nothing for most of it course, and then ends in a rather tiny village. Probably a touristic line, in its origins.
Pure fantasy: any plans to convert it into a Metro line and/or divert it through the Naaldwijk area?

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

Last edited by Wilhem275; January 29th, 2014 at 03:23 AM.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 04:14 AM   #1258
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
The Hoek v.H. line is pretty bizarre: a dedicated two-tracks line which runs in the middle of nothing for most of it course, and then ends in a rather tiny village. Probably a touristic line, in its origins.
Pure fantasy: any plans to convert it into a Metro line and/or divert it through the Naaldwijk area?
The line will be converted to metro, and extended slightly so it terminates closer to the beach.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotterd...ure_extensions

Wilhem275 liked this post
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 08:34 AM   #1259
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
The line to Hoek van Holland was once an important part of the link between the UK and the continent. International trains to all parts of Europe (even as far as Moskva) left from there, taking passengers to/from ferries to the UK.
It is for this reason that the station still has 4 400m long platforms (which aren't in use however).
This traffic has now dissapeared...

The first half of the line runs through quite a dense populated urban area. It will be converted to a metro, with probably a rather high frequency service between Rotterdam and Maassluis, with some trains continuing all the way to Hoek van Holland Haven, and in summer, Strand. (As is now already the case with the sprinters).

In Schiedam the metro is already prepared for connecting it to the railway. Have a look on google maps...

Quote:
So you see that converting it to Metro is not pure fantasy. It's happening. What is currently however still a dream, that might once be reality is a light rail line from Maasluis, via Naaldwijk to Den Haag.

Wilhem275 liked this post

Last edited by K_; January 29th, 2014 at 08:50 AM.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 10:22 AM   #1260
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

1) There are no plans to build a fly-over or dive-under between Den Haag HS and Den Haag Centraal as the current traffic (2 IC trains and 4 local train per hour) can be handled as it is right now.

2) The double tracking is only envisages for Rijswijk - Delft-Zuid. For the foreseeable future, Delft-Zuid - Schiedam will remain 2 tracks.

3) The so called "Hoekse lijn" will be converted into a metro line and will be operated by RET. After Schiedam Centrum (where metro line A currently ends) the tracks will connect to the Hoekse lijn, freeing capacity on the main line.

A connection to the main line will remain, as the future metro Hoekse lijn will see some cargo trains running during the night.

Wilhem275, Coccodrillo liked this post
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote