daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 16th, 2014, 07:00 PM   #1281
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
Now, since adding two outer tracks at Weesp doesn't seem a heavy work (just widening the foot subway and closing a gap in the Stationsweg underpass), I would do that immediately; even before doubling the Ringspoorbahn.
What I have in mind is a sort of simplified Leiden Centraal.

Did I just miss this info, or there are really no plans to do that?

Thanks, as usual it's a fascinating network.
I think Pro-Rail prefers the approach of having trains running on time, avoiding overpass tracks/sidings. Many busy railways don't have outer tracks altogether. The usual practice is just to dispatch the ICs and hold up the regional trains, should need arise.

Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2014, 08:19 PM   #1282
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

That is an understandable policy, applied to timetable design (overtakes can become a nasty affair); but in practice, having such frequent traffic and no buffer areas means having a disaster every time a mosquito flies in the wrong direction... I mean, the concept of "holding up regional trains" has some limits, when you're supposed to send a Sprinter out every 10-15 minutes with an IC in the middle.
We're talking about a 30 km single track (per direction), with 6 stops in the middle; nothing terrible per se, but with 8 trains/h (which are supposed to increase in near future) it begins to trigger an alarm.

Given the fact that they're building a huge project around A'dam Zuid, I would spend a few more millions and snap in half that 30 km section with a simple trick

You may fill in more/closer trains, or be less bonded when building timetables, or fear less domino effects.
Btw, at Weesp the overtake action is actually meant to happen by timetable (for the Hilversum line); while Flevolijn is expected to become more crowded.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2014, 08:37 PM   #1283
Suburbanist
on the road

I agree. Many sectors need 4-tracking.
Old February 16th, 2014, 09:44 PM   #1284
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
I'm trying to find out what a double white light signal means, as it can be seen at 28:52 in this video. Usually one for each track, often before particular places with bad visibility (tunnels, bridges, curves).
It can't be an info for drivers, because in that position it may be hidden behind other trains. And it comes in many different shapes and positions.
I guess it may be a warning of incoming trains made for workmen who must operate close to traffic; it's also similar to the one used for service grade-crossing in main stations.
Sometimes they're blinking, sometimes they're not, I can't get the logic behind them.
They are there for that exact point, they flicker when that block section is occupied, and are on when the track is free! They look like this:

The other blinking lights are indeed for service crossings at large stations, they work exactly the same but look different:

Wilhem275 liked this post
da_scotty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2014, 02:14 AM   #1285
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Sorry for the total OT*, just a quick update about my Erasmus.
Good news are that Den Haag uni have Economics courses included in the Erasmus program. This would be just perfect for me.
Bad news... it's the only one regarding Economics in the whole NL. So, the competition will be harsh, my chances are not that good

*We don't have a Roadside Rest Area thread in the Railways section, we should have one, named "The Loco Shed" or something like that...

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2014, 06:10 AM   #1286
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
Sorry for the total OT*, just a quick update about my Erasmus.
Good news are that Den Haag uni have Economics courses included in the Erasmus program. This would be just perfect for me.
Bad news... it's the only one regarding Economics in the whole NL. So, the competition will be harsh, my chances are not that good

Aren't your university affiliated with Tilburg, Nijgmen, Rotterdam or Maastrich unis?

Beware, also, that here in the Netherlands they have usually separate programs (and tracks) for Econometrics and Applied Math.
Old March 13th, 2014, 08:01 PM   #1287

Likes (Received): 1035

Today the new rebuild Rotterdam central station was officially opened by king Willem-Alexander. It is the first station that is finished of a big rebuilding project of the most important stations of the Netherlands transforming them into new public transport hubs.

The old station dated from 1957.

The new station

King Willem-Alexander with mayor Aboutaleb of Rotterdam under the new roof.

BringMe, dimlys1994 liked this post
3737 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2014, 12:47 PM   #1288
Arnorian

Likes (Received): 14615

Has this been posted before?

BringMe, Suburbanist, NS162, 3737, Nexis and 1 others liked this post
Arnorian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2014, 01:21 PM   #1289
Suburbanist
on the road

Neat.

I didn't realize local trains Heerlen-Sittard were hourly only.
Old March 14th, 2014, 01:24 PM   #1290
cees
billieron

Likes (Received): 10

And I still do not understand why there isn't a northern connection along the afsluitdijk. I understand that the connection itself is not that prior because there's a weak economic connection with both parts of the country. But i assume that a northern rail connection like that could improve both sides in increase markets, increase availebility in workforce, tourism, jobs, etc.
Also i can figure that a railway track along the dyke shouldnt be to costly. They are even planning to strengten the dyke, why not drop a railway track along, I asume with no cost for buying out grounds would make this a relatively cheap project. while it covers a huge gap in railway connection in the netherlands. Instead they are investing in the huge high speed line connections wich arent that helpfull for local economies. such a connection could save hours of traveltime between certain places while the high speed connections are only saving minutes.
cees no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2014, 01:46 PM   #1291
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6152

You can forget about that. There were two options to improve rail connections between the Randstad (Amsterdam and Schiphol, mostly) and the North and they were:
1) a railway across the Afsluitdijk, or
2) a railway through Flevoland connecting Lelystad to Zwolle.

They chose the latter.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2014, 02:03 PM   #1292
cees
billieron

Likes (Received): 10

I know that this is not going to happen. But idea is not to improve the connection of the randstad and the north. But to connect the north, with the other north. on both sides they are dealing with a weakening economy. and to connect both sides could strengten both sides. just to make the north more compateble and sustaineble.
cees no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2014, 02:25 PM   #1293
Suburbanist
on the road

Fryslan doesn't have a really weak economy. As far as rural regions go, the whole Netherlands is quite strong by European standards. However, its population loss is, up to a point, inevitable as society inches ever towards an economy where most jobs are service-related and concentrated on cities, whereas farming, fishing, greenhouse agriculture, modern wind farms and the like don't employ much people with technological changes they see.

I support faster rail link ZWolle-Leeuwarden and a high-speed rail link Zwolle-Groningen (and then to Germany - Bremen )
Old March 15th, 2014, 07:23 PM   #1294
Surel

Likes (Received): 2154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
You can forget about that. There were two options to improve rail connections between the Randstad (Amsterdam and Schiphol, mostly) and the North and they were:

They chose the latter.
And it is quite a pity, because the distance between Amsterdam and Breda is around the same as between Amsterdam and Leeuwarden.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2014, 04:40 AM   #1295
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
Uh, no, a route via the Afsluitdijk was never an option.
The other big options besides the Hanzelijn via Lelystad and Zwolle, were several versions of a "Zuiderzeelijn", which would connect Lelystad to the north via Heerenveen instead of Zwolle.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2014, 12:51 PM   #1296
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

When the Afsluitdijk was built a railway was certainly an option. The engineers reserved space for a double tracked railway line next to the motorway. However, when the motorway was doubled (somewhere in the seventies?) they used that space as it was apparent at that time that the railway would never be built since a route through Flevoland was more desirable.
Old March 17th, 2014, 01:00 PM   #1297
da_scotty

In the meanwhile the first generation of VIRM Doubledeck-EMU's will be renovated, new interiors improved aerodynamics and better enviromental gimmics! They will look like the NID trains!

funny detail, the old catering lifts will be converted to bagage space!

Slagathor, 3737 liked this post
da_scotty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2014, 01:08 PM   #1298
Suburbanist
on the road

What was the last Dutch train series that was manufactured in Netherlands?
Old March 17th, 2014, 01:19 PM   #1299
da_scotty

Mat.64 (Plan V/T ) I believe, and the Mailtrain Motorpost(MP) . It was build by Werkspoor. After that a lot of the body work was done at Talbot in Achen, with finishing (electrical/interior) work in the Netherlands
Old March 17th, 2014, 02:49 PM   #1300
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

In fact only plan T (mat '64 4-car sets) was entirely built by Werkspoor. Plan V (mat '64 2-car sets) was split between Werkspoor, Talbot and DŁwag. This model was made between 1966 and 1976, while Werkspoor stopped rolling stock manufacture in 1972. Talbot Aachen was chosen because a lot of miners got jobs there after the coal mines in Limburg closed down. DŁwag was already contracted by Werkspoor earlier because they didn't have enough capacity to build all plan V's themselves.
Come to think of it, that's a recurring theme at Werkspoor: The main reason only 25 1200 class locomotives were built, instead of the intended 75, is that Werkspoor wasn't able to build them quickly enough (and they were expensive). So NS acquired the 1100 and 1300 classes instead.

Klausenburg liked this post
M-NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote