daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 19th, 2014, 01:00 AM   #1461
radamfi

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theijs View Post
"because of fraud we don't expand this service to more stations."
Why is fraud more likely from credit cards? They are already accepting them at most of their main stations, where surely fraud is more likely than at rural stations with no ticket office.
radamfi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 19th, 2014, 01:55 AM   #1462
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6074

They only use it at main stations for tourists. If there wouldn't be tourists they wouldn't have accepted them at all.
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 01:39 PM   #1463
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Dutch railroads unsafer because of ERTMS?

In the Netherlands many trains run on tracks that switch between unprotected, ATB-EG, ATB-NG, ERTMS L1 and ERTMS L2 several times per day. Some of those trains even cross the border, with yet other systems again.

According to this source (in Dutch) railway experts have expressed their concerns over a future mixed ATB-ERTMS railway network in the Netherlands. They claim that the drivers may get used to the safety net ERTMS provides, causing them to drive more careless under the old ATB system. They claim after the introduction of ATB-NG some accidents happened on ATB-EG tracks, because the driver expected a safety to kick in that didn't.

The experts are seriously arguing that a driver relies on the train control system to keep them safe. I claim the opposite: A driver drives the train, the train control system is only there to protect against the consequences from the mistakes that he bound to make. This weekend I spoke with an active and a former train driver. Both agreed with me.
Old May 19th, 2014, 02:38 PM   #1464
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

The problem is that this
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
I claim the opposite: A driver drives the train, the train control system is only there to protect against the consequences from the mistakes that he bound to make. This weekend I spoke with an active and a former train driver. Both agreed with me.
is what should be, but this
Quote:
The experts are seriously arguing that a driver relies on the train control system to keep them safe.
is what happens in reality.

Not because drivers want to be careless on purpose, but because humans tend to get used to helping technologies and then pay less attention.

When designing a fail-safe system you must always consider that humans will make mistakes, no matter what.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2014, 01:28 PM   #1465
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

The unfortunate truth is also that driver education has been severely reduced over the last years. Contrary to the past drivers are actually taught to rely on those systems more. In the past drivers could actually fix problems, whereas nowadays, except for 'have you tried turning it off and on again?', there really isn't much else you can do in case of problems.

A train control system should be a fail-safe and leave the actual driving to the driver. Most modern systems don't. Most are so comprehensive in their functions that the driver is there only to perform the tasks that are still to difficult to be performed by a computer. The resulting tasks are so monotonous, that that will decrease the drivers attention when it is actually needed. Maybe less automation on trains would be better.
Old May 20th, 2014, 01:43 PM   #1466
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Quote:
A train control system should be a fail-safe and leave the actual driving to the driver. Most modern systems don't. Most are so comprehensive in their functions that the driver is there only to perform the tasks that are still to difficult to be performed by a computer. The resulting tasks are so monotonous, that that will decrease the drivers attention when it is actually needed. Maybe less automation on trains would be better.
I disagree. For repetitive tasks, machines usually are more reliable than humans. In the future, drivers will be more like supervisors of an entirely computer-driven vehicle, on the lookout for problems, not for driving. Maybe with future precision infrared cameras, even closing and opening of doors in stations will be automated.
Old May 20th, 2014, 01:51 PM   #1467
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post

I disagree. For repetitive tasks, machines usually are more reliable than humans. In the future, drivers will be more like supervisors of an entirely computer-driven vehicle, on the lookout for problems, not for driving. Maybe with future precision infrared cameras, even closing and opening of doors in stations will be automated.
That's not safe. That's positively dangerous. Even little things like laptop's or smartphones are known to lead a life of its own from time to time. Uncontrollable malfunctioning machinery is the greatest danger to mankind.

And supervisors are there to sleep. Nothing else. There's a Homer Simpson in all of us.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2014, 02:26 PM   #1468
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
That's not safe. That's positively dangerous. Even little things like laptop's or smartphones are known to lead a life of its own from time to time. Uncontrollable malfunctioning machinery is the greatest danger to mankind.

And supervisors are there to sleep. Nothing else. There's a Homer Simpson in all of us.
That is about training. Once again, I make a parallel with airline pilots: they are "idling" some 90% of flight time, just looking at screens and reading messages, graphs and info on them, while the computer actually "flies" the plane. Aviation has never been so safe (much safer than rail travel, but that is another discussion).

You just need to train people constantly to be responsive to emergencies and unexpected events.
Old May 20th, 2014, 02:43 PM   #1469
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

With so much time spent on training and brainwashing, you might as well drive the damn thing yourself!
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2014, 08:10 PM   #1470
Mackem

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post

There are plenty of driverless Metros around, and I haven't heard of chaos and rider protests. Even systems like the DLR in London or the Nuremburg U Bahn are heavily monitored so no system is allowed to wander off by itself. the Homer Simpson problem is more for bored/tired drivers passing red lights etc.
Mackem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2014, 12:06 AM   #1471
radamfi

Paper tickets are to be withdrawn from 9 July, replaced by disposable smartcards

http://nos.nl/artikel/650426-einde-p...er-9-juli.html
Old May 21st, 2014, 12:08 AM   #1472
Wilhem275
The Transporter

And what about international tickets?

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Old May 21st, 2014, 12:42 AM   #1473
Suburbanist
on the road

It was about time
Old May 21st, 2014, 12:44 AM   #1474
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
And what about international tickets?
They will probably keep using it. All stations that are visited by international trains also have ticket offices, as far as I know. So that shouldn't be a problem for ticket issuance on machines (which, in any case, is usually not a good idea as you can often find cheaper tickets to Belgium or Germany online; travel on Thalys cannot be bought on NS machines anyway).
Old May 21st, 2014, 01:48 AM   #1475
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

NS is working with SNCB, DB and SNCF to have them print barcodes on tickets they issue which allow travel to the Netherlands. Some gates will be equipped with barcode readers, so they can pass through. If a passenger does not have a ticket with a barcode when he arrives at a gate, he can request for help and then the gate will be opened remotely.

That's the idea at least...

Suburbanist, Wilhem275 liked this post
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2014, 02:13 AM   #1476
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Yep, my doubt is not about tickets issued by NS, but about tickets issued by other companies which include trips inside NL.
Trips which may also begin/end at a minor station, so I hope that remote opening will work (and I hope operators will show a bit of mercy to stranded passengers...).

Old May 21st, 2014, 07:43 AM   #1477
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
NS is working with SNCB, DB and SNCF to have them print barcodes on tickets they issue which allow travel to the Netherlands. Some gates will be equipped with barcode readers, so they can pass through. If a passenger does not have a ticket with a barcode when he arrives at a gate, he can request for help and then the gate will be opened remotely. That's the idea at least...
How long until everyone knows that all you need to enter a station is a good story? (And maybe a good fake ticket...)
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2014, 12:41 PM   #1478
radamfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
How long until everyone knows that all you need to enter a station is a good story? (And maybe a good fake ticket...)
Presumably there will still be checks on trains as usual? So the barriers are just extra.

The experience in the UK, though, is that barriers have led to reduced checking on train.
Old May 21st, 2014, 01:22 PM   #1479
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Smaller station will not get barriers. The frequency of onboard checks varies. I regularly do the eastern Netherlands to Schiphol run. Sometimes you get checked every 20 minutes or so, but more often not at all (either because it's to crowded to traverse the train or because the conductor doesn't feel the need to).
Old May 21st, 2014, 10:01 PM   #1480
radamfi

Is there a list of stations with gates, and which stations will have staff to help you through the gates if you don't have an OV-Chipkaart? At stations with staffed gates, what time of day will there be staff and when there are no staff, will the gates still be in operation?