daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 6th, 2014, 03:20 PM   #1521
XAN_

Likes (Received): 760

Hm, it seems the entire "legalise" thing aren't so harmless after all.
-H. Kürsch, 2002
XAN_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2014, 11:10 PM   #1522
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 63066

Here's 2 picks I took yesterday on the Maasvlakte in the Port of Rotterdam.

IMG_7326 von Momo1435 auf Flickr

IMG_7334 von Momo1435 auf Flickr

Suburbanist, kyah117, Slagathor liked this post
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2014, 06:25 PM   #1523
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21250

Over €1bn earmarked for railway improvements

Quote:
The government and regional councils are to invest €1.1bn on improving the railway networks, junior infrastructure minister Wilma Mansveld said on Tuesday.

Some €430m will be spent on expanding ‘capacity and quality’ at Amsterdam’s central station. Platforms will be widened and the ‘spaghetti’ of train tracks will be unravelled, the minister said.

The plans also involve building railway bridges to increase capacity to Utrecht, Eindhoven and between Schiphol and Lelystad, where the local airport is due to undergo significant expansion.
- See more at: http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archive....t9rCC3Du.dpuf
Old June 24th, 2014, 04:52 PM   #1524
Suburbanist
on the road

"Airport travel guarantee" product to be launched by NS

NS will start a pilot program this summer whereas passengers bound to Schiphol can pay a small fee (€5) in an app as get comprehensive travel assistance and insurance on their trips to Schiphol Airport for outbound flights.

This guarantee will ensure that, in case of delays or disruptions of train service, NS takes alternative action if needed (like putting the passenger on a taxi) to allow a passenger to reach the check-in counters in Schiphol on time. If even such measures are not enough, and the passenger misses the plane, (s)he will get compensation for the fees incurred to reschedule the flight + accommodation or money lost on unused flight segment.

Source (in Dutch)
Old June 24th, 2014, 06:08 PM   #1525
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
NS will start a pilot program this summer whereas passengers bound to Schiphol can pay a small fee (€5) in an app as get comprehensive travel assistance and insurance on their trips to Schiphol Airport for outbound flights.

This guarantee will ensure that, in case of delays or disruptions of train service, NS takes alternative action if needed (like putting the passenger on a taxi) to allow a passenger to reach the check-in counters in Schiphol on time. If even such measures are not enough, and the passenger misses the plane, (s)he will get compensation for the fees incurred to reschedule the flight + accommodation or money lost on unused flight segment.
Most travel insurances will already cover the costs incurred when you miss a flight due to a late train. The only new thing is that NS will indeed be motivated to prevent the damage from occurring in the first place...
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2014, 09:01 AM   #1526
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

I'm curious for the exact conditions of this guarantee. Like why should I take an earlier train when the guarantee will make sure I'm in time even if I cut it very close.

Also €5 is pretty expensive. Even for the longest journeys, such as from Maastricht or Groningen, that 20% of the fare. For shorter journeys the guarantee could be over 50% of your fare.
Old June 25th, 2014, 09:10 AM   #1527
Theijs

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
Like why should I take an earlier train when the guarantee will make sure I'm in time even if I cut it very close.
One should have a smartphone with a special NS App, and stick to their travel schedule. No doubt NS will oblige you to take an earlier train, e.g. you arrive 2 hours before departure, when the check-in desk just opened.
Theijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2014, 11:49 AM   #1528
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theijs View Post
One should have a smartphone with a special NS App, and stick to their travel schedule. No doubt NS will oblige you to take an earlier train, e.g. you arrive 2 hours before departure, when the check-in desk just opened.
I think it will be still worth for situations like a transcontinental flight, a package tour for the whole family (when missing the plane = no holiday).
Old June 26th, 2014, 06:53 AM   #1529
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post

Source (in Dutch)
NS took me from Utrecht to Eindhoven Airport to catch a plane with a taxi on their costs, it is few years ago and there was no guarantee back then...
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2014, 07:13 PM   #1530
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26155

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=542

The Hague – Brussels open-access plan shelved
Thursday, June 26, 2014

THE municipal government of The Hague and Arriva have abandoned plans to launch an open-access cross-border service linking the Dutch city with Brussels, which was due to begin operating in December 2015.

The Hague's councillor for transport Mr Peter Smit said that the municipality had found it impossible to set up the service, dubbed Lage Landen Lijn (Low Countries Line), which would have offered an alternative to Thalys and NS International services.

The main reason for the cancellation is reportedly difficulties finding viable train paths for the service, particularly on the congested section between Brussels North and Brussels South. Other reports in the Dutch press also suggest the service does not have the support of the Dutch Ministry of Infrastructure.

Proposals for the Lage Landen Lijn emerged as a result of dissatisfaction with the now-withdrawn Fyra service, which left The Hague without any international trains to Belgium. The tendering process was managed by The Hague Trains Holding, a limited company registered in the Netherlands which is wholly owned by the municipality of The Hague, with Arriva shouldering all of the financial risk.

Following the collapse of Fyra, a cross-border service was reintroduced but this is considerably slower than the Benelux service superseded by Fyra in December 2012
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2014, 07:42 PM   #1531
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

If the problem is between Brussels North and Brussels South... they can just arrive to North, then there is plenty of connections to proceed. After all, it's a regional link.

But clearly the main problem is not that.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2014, 03:25 PM   #1532
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
If the problem is between Brussels North and Brussels South... they can just arrive to North, then there is plenty of connections to proceed. After all, it's a regional link.
The problem with Brussel North is that a train arriving from the North basically has to leave towards the South (and vice versa). You can't that easily reverse trains there without eating up a lot of capacity.

If I was an open access operator intending to run to Belgium I'd either go around Brussel to Brussel South, or go to the airport. From next year onward the Airport will get good IC connections with most of the country, so it would be a good "hub" for international trains as well.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2014, 08:44 PM   #1533
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

The "Sprinter Next Generation", the next generation of commuter trains for the Dutch railway network, will be built by either Alstom or CAF. The final decision will be made after the summer.

Source: an NS news article about sustainability.
Old June 28th, 2014, 04:16 AM   #1534
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6101

What will they replace? Do they mean the generation after the SLTs? They sure like planning ahead.
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 06:37 AM   #1535
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
If I was an open access operator intending to run to Belgium I'd either go around Brussel to Brussel South, or go to the airport. From next year onward the Airport will get good IC connections with most of the country, so it would be a good "hub" for international trains as well.
Well, I agree. I just didn't know Brussel North has a lack of sidings.
But still, I believe the main limit to this service is not south of the border...

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 10:16 AM   #1536
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 63066

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAronymous View Post
What will they replace? Do they mean the generation after the SLTs? They sure like planning ahead.
This is indeed a next generation of trains for the Sprinter services. These are already needed because the last batch of options for the SLT was never picked up.

They will replace the old SGM Sprinter sets and the soon to be reactivated DD-AR sets (made from the cars have not been renovated into the DDZ/NID IC sets).

They will come into service from 2018.

Here's the original press release from the NS (in Dutch):
http://www.ns.nl/over-ns/nieuwscentr...g-materieel-ns
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 01:54 PM   #1537
MrAronymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
These are already needed because the last batch of options for the SLT was never picked up. [/url]
Because of the toilets/snow incidents? Seems weird to just purchase different train stock for no reason. Is NS not yet satisfied with the current SLT?
Old June 28th, 2014, 03:07 PM   #1538
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

They are, but because of the toilets they are not allowed to buy the new sets...
Old June 28th, 2014, 03:27 PM   #1539
XAN_

Likes (Received): 760

What's the big deal with toilets, anyway?
-H. Kürsch, 2002
XAN_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 04:34 PM   #1540
MrAronymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_scotty View Post
They are, but because of the toilets they are not allowed to buy the new sets...
They can't buy the new sets with toilets? Weird.

@Xan_, They left out the toilets on these trains, which frequently stop, with the reasoning that you could use the toilets on the stations (eventhough not even all (especially small) stations have a toilet). Which makes sort of sense because a lot of times these Sprinter trains act as a RER/Commuter train system, and you don't often find toilets there either. The public and media then made a big deal about it, so then parliament (a.k.a. government, who has a big stake in NS) ordered for them to be built in.