daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 1st, 2014, 08:26 PM   #1561
radamfi

Likes (Received): 58

There must be some logic to the way it is done in NL? Maybe they are trying to promote automatic top-up? It is good that you can top-up in supermarkets, but why do you have to use the machine and not the manned till or the self-service tills like you get in some AH stores? In London I get rid of loose change by topping up my Oyster card and the shops will top-up by any amount, even 1p. The London Underground machines will also accept any amount multiple of 5p in cash.

Are the Dutch thinking of allowing payment by contactless bank card? London buses have accepted them for over a year and it will soon be rolled out to the Underground and National Rail, including daily and weekly capping. Ultimately they may get rid of the Oyster card in favour of contactless bank card.
radamfi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2014, 10:28 PM   #1562
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

NS will start trialling contact less payment with a bank card this summer.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 12:48 AM   #1563
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6101

Quote:
Originally Posted by radamfi View Post
There must be some logic to the way it is done in NL?
No, it's just putting themselves over customers. This way they don't get the useless coins.

Silly_Walks liked this post
MrAronymous está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 01:47 AM   #1564
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

But shops generally like coins, as they often have a shortage of change, so an OV-Chipkaart loader which gives them easy access to coins and small bills would actually work to their advantage.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 03:30 PM   #1565
Theijs

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Why have NS introduced a minimum top-up of €4?
it's all about costs... At Arriva machines you can chose the amount yourself, but you can only pay by bank card.

Let's hope for costumer friendly innovation: http://mobile.railwaygazette.com/ind.../profile/21619
Theijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2014, 01:00 AM   #1566
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Are the Dutch thinking of allowing payment by contactless bank card? London buses have accepted them for over a year and it will soon be rolled out to the Underground and National Rail, including daily and weekly capping. Ultimately they may get rid of the Oyster card in favour of contactless bank card.
Indeed. Credit based payment is disadvantageous to the customers and advantageous to the provider. It is then rather unnecessary with new bank cards or even mobile apps.

Dutch smartphone penetration is around 70 %. I dunno how much of those have a NFC, in the UK it is around 10 %, in the US it is 70 %. Anyways in the next few years the penetration with NFC phones will soar. NFC bank stickers are also very easy to manufacture.

But I understand that such a system as OV card has certain inertia.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2014, 01:42 AM   #1567
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

I don't want my public transport payments linked to my bank account or phone bill.

I guess I'm a segregationist... :/

Road_UK, Dooie_Amsterdammert liked this post
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2014, 12:22 PM   #1568
radamfi

The advantage of using contactless bank cards is that processing can be done away from the vehicle, such as using overnight batch processing, unlike smartcards which require processing on-the-fly. The NS Business Card already enables you to pay later.
Old July 12th, 2014, 07:54 PM   #1569
radamfi

So, any news about how the replacement of paper tickets with the eenmalige OV-Chipkaart is going?
Old July 12th, 2014, 08:55 PM   #1570
MrAronymous

A 'meldpunt' has been made for customers to file a complaint. Here's an article in Dutch.
Lots of complaints can be called invalid, as you can still buy a one or two way disposable OV-chipkaart ticket. Somehow people seem to not know about its existence.
Old July 13th, 2014, 04:34 AM   #1571
AlexNL

Quote:
So, any news about how the replacement of paper tickets with the eenmalige OV-Chipkaart is going?
Overall it's going pretty well: there is lots of staff on stations to help out when people have questions, and at busy stations extra (temporary) validators have been placed to cope with the increased demand and dwell times.

Not everything is going well: the ticket vending machine in Wijchen ran out of tickets. As the 'Nijmeegse Vierdaagse' is held close to that area, a large influx of visitors is to be expected to and from that station. Running out of tickets on such a time is inconvenient, to say the least.
Old July 14th, 2014, 06:38 AM   #1572
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAronymous View Post
A 'meldpunt' has been made for customers to file a complaint. Here's an article in Dutch. Lots of complaints can be called invalid, as you can still buy a one or two way disposable OV-chipkaart ticket. Somehow people seem to not know about its existence.
What happens when someone with a paper ticket tries to get in to the station?
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2014, 06:43 AM   #1573
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
What happens when someone with a paper ticket tries to get in to the station?
Some gates have been fit with QR/barcode readers.

For the time being, there are also a station agent near the gates on station where international trains call and gates are activated.

AFAIK, the compulsory presence of a QR code for European tickets issued on paper abroad will kick in mid-2015
Old July 14th, 2014, 08:32 AM   #1574
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

If I travel by train from Mayrhofen to Sneek, I travel with a paper ticket all the way, issued by the ÖBB. Changing in Jenbach, Munich and Düsseldorf is not a problem. How do I go about in the Netherlands with my valid ÖBB ticket? I also have to change at Arnhem, Zwolle and Leeuwarden...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2014, 10:30 AM   #1575
AlexNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
If I travel by train from Mayrhofen to Sneek, I travel with a paper ticket all the way, issued by the ÖBB. Changing in Jenbach, Munich and Düsseldorf is not a problem. How do I go about in the Netherlands with my valid ÖBB ticket? I also have to change at Arnhem, Zwolle and Leeuwarden...
As long as you don't leave the station you won't encounter gates, and only a part of the stations will be equipped with gates. Sneek is not on the list.
Old July 14th, 2014, 12:13 PM   #1576
Road_UK
BANNED

Ok, but what if I want to interrupt my journey in let's say Zwolle for an hour and I wish to leave the station? How do I get back in?
Old July 14th, 2014, 01:41 PM   #1577
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

If you pass an exit gate with a OV-chipkaart you check out. If you get back into the station you pass an entry gate and check in again. Yes, this also means you have to pay the base fare again.

The NS-forum has a nice example illustrating this: Single trip Maastricht-Groningen: € 25,40, Maastricht-Utrecht: € 22,90, Utrecht-Groningen: € 23,90. So if you interupt your trip, in this case your fare would almost double! NS recommends using an E-ticket in this case, which does allow you to interupt your journey.

Last weekend I experienced the NS service attitude again: Due to planned maintenance there were limited service around Schiphol and Utrecht. Okay, that can happen. However there also was a points malfunction preventing travel from Schiphol in the Amerfoort direction. All the information signs only displayed which trains didn't run. Zero information on the alternatives. In the entire station of Schiphol there wasn't a single person that could tell me the best way to travel to the East. In the end I relied on my own knowledge and selected a route over the Hanzelijn (damn that tunnel makes your ears pop!) via Zwolle and then further east. Once on route I used the NS travel planner, with suggested trains that according to the platform signs were cancelled. In the end it only took 45 minutes extra, which could have been only 15 minutes if I hadn't passed up on an earlier train, because at that time I was still under the impression the direct train was running (which wasn't).
Because of my route knowledge I could choose an optimal alternative. Less seasoned travellers and tourists were left to there own devices. No information and no staff with enough knowledge. That really bad NS (and ProRail)!

Road_UK liked this post
M-NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2014, 01:54 PM   #1578
Road_UK
BANNED

That's all well and good, but in Austria they still issue paper tickets only, which is what I'm using to travel to and in the Netherlands. If ÖBB and DB allows me to interrupt my journey in their countries, but I'm limited to railway stations in the Netherlands only then obviously there is some poor thinking going on, and not very good for international rail travel. You can't expect people to pay to walk in and out of a railway station when they have already payed for their fare in the country of departure.
Old July 14th, 2014, 03:55 PM   #1579
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

All foreignly issued paper tickets have 2D-barcodes, similar to the E-ticket I mentionned. Thus you can interupt your journey at any intermediate station you like, as long as you complete the journey at the validated date.

Modifying the gates to accept both barcoded tickets and chip cards would have been much easier then the route they actually chose. But they probably didn't because for not-invented-here reasons.

Road_UK liked this post
M-NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2014, 04:29 PM   #1580
MrAronymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
Modifying the gates to accept both barcoded tickets and chip cards would have been much easier then the route they actually chose. But they probably didn't because for not-invented-here reasons.
Which other route? They're going to put at least one code scanner gate at gated stations in the future. They're already testing equipment in Maarssen.