daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 2nd, 2014, 02:11 AM   #1681
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Unfortunately yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
Unfortunately, they are.
Fortunately indeed
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 2nd, 2014, 02:55 PM   #1682

Likes (Received): 1035

Quote:
There had been green locos as well.

Back in the good old days EMUs were green.
DMUs were red (a.k.a. red devils)

link
Local services were light blue (A.K.A. blue angels), they later changed it to red.

Link
Electric locomotives and carriages were painted turquoise but it was to difficult to match the right color so they changed it to dark blue (A.K.A. berlin blue).

Link
Diesel locomotives were painted brown.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...S_2326-III.JPG

The liveries changed with spoorslag '70 (a big overhaul of the Dutch network in the 70s).
Electric and diesel locomotives were painted grey with yellow. (Also a big logo on a locomotive is nothing new).

link

All stop and local services were painted yellow with 3 diagonal light blue stripes.

link
In 2003 they rebranded it to sprinter services and it also got a new livery (A.K.A. vlaflip livery).
They repainted SGMm in white with a blue wide stripe with yellow doors.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...47sprinter.jpg

The intercity service were painted yellow with a wide dark blue stripe as we know it today.

link

The Benelux service also got different liveries.
In the early days the EMUs, carriages and locomotives were painted in dark blue with a yellow stripe.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...23-04-1981.jpg
In the 90s the Benelux got new carriages and locomotives and a different livery was used using the intercity livery but instead of blue they used the brown/red color which was used by the Belgian railways.

link

Due to problems with the V250 the Benelux remained and the carriages were repainted to the fyra livery, the locomtives were changed by green Br186 due to problems with the old ones. Also a part of the carriages used for national services was painted in the Fyra livery and used for Fyra services using red leased Br186.

http://treinenweb.nl/news/1485

Ofcourse now we know the problems with the V250 remained and the whole Fyra plan was shot down.
The Fyra service was split in 2 parts. One part went to the national network and one part went to the Benelux which will be upgraded to benelux+.

The national service also got rebranded to Intercity Direct. The carriages are repainted back to the old intercity livery using new bought Br186 in intercity livery.

It is still unkown what will happen to the Benelux carriages altough I think that they also will be painted to the intercity livery.

Wilhem275, Road_UK liked this post

Last edited by 3737; August 2nd, 2014 at 03:04 PM.
3737 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2014, 04:07 PM   #1683
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Those trains looks so archaic from today's point of view and it wasn't really that long ago when they were first introduced. I bet at that time they were hailed as a great step forward from whatever was running on those lines before. I wonder how our current trains will be viewed 40 years from now.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2014, 05:13 PM   #1684
Road_UK
BANNED

And then of course we still remember the "Wadloper". Diesel trains running from Leeuwarden to Groningen, Harlingen and Stavoren....

At that time these lines were still run by NS, but now Arriva took over....

Old August 2nd, 2014, 05:26 PM   #1685
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

I think Arriva and Veola are doing a good job with their regional lines. They have new-ish trains, instead of being just dumpgrounds for old NS stock (I'm sure Plan-V sets would e in use on the Staroven, Wupthen or Delfzijl
Old August 2nd, 2014, 05:36 PM   #1686
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
I think Arriva and Veola are doing a good job with their regional lines. They have new-ish trains, instead of being just dumpgrounds for old NS stock (I'm sure Plan-V sets would e in use on the Staroven, Wupthen or Delfzijl
Well, the Dutch Arriva stock certainly looks a lot nicer then some of their stuff in the UK... (by the way, you have managed to spell every single destination wrong and just added Delfzijl )

Although Arriva Trains Wales has received new stock, pretty similar to the Dutch ones...

Old August 2nd, 2014, 05:40 PM   #1687
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Well, the Dutch Arriva stock certainly looks a lot nicer then some of their stuff in the UK... (by the way, you have managed to spell every single destination wrong and just added Delfzijl )
Blame my keyboard app for not having a contextual multilingual function that don't mess up continuous typing of foreign words.
Old August 2nd, 2014, 05:43 PM   #1688
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Blame my keyboard app for not having a contextual multilingual function that don't mess up continuous typing of foreign words.
Are you on your mobile right now? I'm on my laptop now and got English, Dutch, German and French spellchecker through Google Chrome. On my smartphone I bought Swiftkey from Android and it is the best on the market. You can have up to three languages and it is indeed the best.
Old August 2nd, 2014, 05:53 PM   #1689

Quote:
Funny thing is that Veolia, Arriva and Connexxion used plan v before they got GTW's.
Old August 2nd, 2014, 05:59 PM   #1690
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3737 View Post
Funny thing is that Veolia, Arriva and Connexxion used plan v before they got GTW's.
Yes, but that was because they inherited NS stock right?

Another question: wasn't Geerdijk station going to be closed for extremely low ridership?
Old August 2nd, 2014, 10:19 PM   #1691
radamfi

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Although Arriva Trains Wales has received new stock, pretty similar to the Dutch ones...
What new stock do you mean? I think you mean the Class 175

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_175

but they are about 15 years old and were originally used by the now defunct franchise North Western Trains (later First North Western).
radamfi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2014, 06:57 AM   #1692
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3737 View Post
Benelux which will be upgraded to benelux+
Hahahahaha, good one. 'upgraded', my ass. I can't believe anyone is buying that shit.
Old August 3rd, 2014, 01:15 PM   #1693
Suburbanist
on the road

What will be the route of this "upgraded" train? Amsterdam C. - Schiphol - (HSL) - Rotterdam C. - (HSL) - Breda - (HSL) - Noordkempen - Antwerpen C. - Mechelen - Zavantem - Bruxelles-Nord - Bruxelles-Midi?
Old August 3rd, 2014, 03:52 PM   #1694
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6074

Why would it go through Breda? Doesn't seem like it's on the route. Fyra was supposed to have 2 routes: Amsterdam-Bussels and Amsterdam-Breda, right?

Last edited by MrAronymous; August 3rd, 2014 at 03:59 PM.
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2014, 03:54 PM   #1695
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
What will be the route of this "upgraded" train? Amsterdam C. - Schiphol - (HSL) - Rotterdam C. - (HSL) - Breda - (HSL) - Noordkempen - Antwerpen C. - Mechelen - Zavantem - Bruxelles-Nord - Bruxelles-Midi?
Almost: it will go through the Hague and it will also call at Berchem and Brussels central.
Old August 3rd, 2014, 05:55 PM   #1696
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAronymous View Post
Why would it go through Breda?
To provide a fast link between Breda and other cities further east (Tilburg, s'-Hertogenbosch, Eindhoven, Venlo, Nijmegen) with a direct link to Belgium without the need to backtrack to Rotterdam.
Old August 3rd, 2014, 06:03 PM   #1697
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:

To provide a fast link between Breda and other cities further east (Tilburg, s'-Hertogenbosch, Eindhoven, Venlo, Nijmegen) with a direct link to Belgium without the need to backtrack to Rotterdam.
These eastern cities run via Utrecht and Roosendaal anyway, so there's no need to move the current line.
Old August 3rd, 2014, 06:31 PM   #1698
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
These eastern cities run via Utrecht and Roosendaal anyway, so there's no need to move the current line.
There is no direct IC train linking Utrecht with Roosendaal. The latter will keep being served by regional Belgium trains extending from Essen to Roosendaal as they do now. All these cities I mentioned have direct ICs that call in Breda, where these connections via the new high-speed link will be made. So they'll be withing Belgium reach with just one transfer instead of 3 or 4.

The sector of HSL-Zuid south of R'dam Lombardijen sits quite empty and can accommodate these services without any interference with Thalys trains. That was the 60% of purpose of building HSL-Zuid: faster links between Rotterdam and Antwerpen.

Only Dordrecht will be significantly worse than the old situation, but there is no divine right for Dordrecht to get direct trains to Belgium and it is for greater good of all those cities I mentioned.
Old August 3rd, 2014, 11:10 PM   #1699

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
Hahahahaha, good one. 'upgraded', my ass. I can't believe anyone is buying that shit.
Benelux- indeed.
In the past: Amsterdam-Brussels (classical line) 2:44, Now: The Hague-Brussels 2:56 (Its shorter but also slower ) In 2016: Amsterdam-Rotterdam (classical line), Rotterdam-Brussels (HSL-Zuid) 3:21.
The reason why it is almost 40 minutes slower is due to the fact that 1 extra stop is added and the locomotive needs to change side at Breda which takes a lot of time and therefore make it slower.

In the past: Amsterdam - Schiphol - The Hague - Rotterdam - Dordrecht - Roosendaal - Antwerp - Mechelen - Brussels Central - Brussels south/midi.

Amsterdam – Schiphol – Den Haag – Rotterdam – Breda (The locomotive needs to change side) – Noorderkempen – Antwerp – Mechelen – Brussels national airport – Brussels-Central – Brussels south/midi.

I still hope the NS takes the option in the IC200 tender to buy new Benelux rollingstock. At least the speed can go to 200 km/u instead of 160 km/u and the switch at Breda can go faster which will reduce some of the time.
Old August 3rd, 2014, 11:52 PM   #1700
radamfi

Likes (Received): 58

Presumably it will be better for anyone travelling between Belgium and Rotterdam, Schiphol or Amsterdam to change at Breda and get the Intercity Direct. Hopefully connections will be good. What frequency will Thalys be by that point?
radamfi no está en línea   Reply With Quote