daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 14th, 2014, 10:22 AM   #1801
radamfi

Likes (Received): 58

I just picked up a Dagkaart at Eindhoven Airport for €25 at GWK Travelex. It comes as a disposable smartcard with an expiry date of 1 July 2016. Is there anywhere else I can get this ticket? Is it valid on non-NS trains?
radamfi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2014, 11:12 AM   #1802
Kirov88
Je Maintiendrai

Likes (Received): 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by radamfi View Post
I just picked up a Dagkaart at Eindhoven Airport for €25 at GWK Travelex. It comes as a disposable smartcard with an expiry date of 1 July 2016. Is there anywhere else I can get this ticket? Is it valid on non-NS trains?
You can't use a Dagkaart from the NS on non-NS trains. I can't find this product on Travelex' website so it's hard to tell.
Kirov88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014, 03:53 PM   #1803

Likes (Received): 1038

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
That "E" before the "186" looks Italian. If thex followed the Dutch numebring system, it would have had a 4-digit number. And using the German syste, it wouldn't have had the "E".

As far I know, when first German 189 locos entered in Italy they were "reclassified" as E 189. Then Swiss Re 484 (Bombardier AC/DC Traxx) were renamed E 484 on the front panel (remaining Re 484 on sides), and DC-only Traxx locos bought by Italian companies became known as E 483 (being similar to E/Re 484).
If they used the Dutch numbering system the 186001 would have been the 1901.
The red BR186 locomotives, Belgium HLE28 and some other BR189 locomotives (locon for example) used in the Netherlands also have an "E" prefix so its not something new.
Also most of those locomotives have a red beam between the headlights which I think is also only necessary in Italy.
3737 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014, 04:22 PM   #1804
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6165

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriedisUnIzlietne View Post
Will NS ever change it's livery? Many public transport companies change theirs every 10-20 years or so, and the NS livery seems very out of date. This is the visualization I came up with - all of the blue and much of the yellow has been replaced with sleek gray and black.
[IMG]
I like it, but ditch the yellow nose (you don't need it, Dutch trains are not required to have a more visible front) and put some orange in there. It is Holland after all.

Estonia shows the way.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014, 07:54 PM   #1805
radamfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirov88 View Post
You can't use a Dagkaart from the NS on non-NS trains. I can't find this product on Travelex' website so it's hard to tell.
I only found out by accident as I saw a sign at the airport advertising that you could buy train tickets there. I was curious to see if they had paper tickets or eenmalige OV-chipkaarten so I asked the lady. She then told me they only sell one ticket, the 25 euro dagkaart. I think she also said it allowed free travel on the bus from the airport to Eindhoven but I may have misheard that. That's a bargain considering the usual shop offers don't allow travel in the morning peak. The lady even said she buys them herself when she goes to Amsterdam in the morning.

I haven't seen any publicity about this ticket anywhere. Maybe they don't want people to know about it!
Old August 14th, 2014, 07:59 PM   #1806
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 63103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
I like it, but ditch the yellow nose (you don't need it, Dutch trains are not required to have a more visible front) and put some orange in there. It is Holland after all.

Estonia shows the way.
The Swiss were the front runners of course and already showed in the 1970s how it should have been done here in the Netherlands.

SBB Re4/4'' 11133 by maurizio messa, on Flickr

Swiss Express by maurizio messa, on Flickr

Slagathor, Mojito liked this post
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2014, 01:22 AM   #1807
radamfi

Quote:
Here is the front and back of the ticket:

https://flic.kr/p/osQDDr

https://flic.kr/p/oKjVFT
Old August 16th, 2014, 01:27 AM   #1808
Theijs

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
When I arrived by airplane I saw indeed two banner's with such advertisement: one around the luguage belt and another in the main hall, next to the GWK/Travelex office.

Last edited by Theijs; August 16th, 2014 at 10:33 PM.
Theijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2014, 09:49 PM   #1809
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

DB had indicated earlier this year that they wanted to step out of Thalys. Now NS has shown interest to take over their 10% share. NS is already owner of 2 Thalys train sets, but still this is a bit strange, because since the V250 debacle they said they weren't interested in high speed rail anymore.
Old August 16th, 2014, 09:56 PM   #1810
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

NS has announced it will deploy laser-cutting technology ro reduce accumulation of leaves on tracks during fall. That is often a cause of delays on worst defoliation days, for Netherlands has some nasty trees whose leaves, when compressed (as in: train wheel crushing them), can become sometimes as slippery as as a greased track.
Old August 16th, 2014, 10:03 PM   #1811
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Quote:
Here is the front and back of the ticket:
Interesting. It doesn't state anywhere on the front nor the back that it is only valid on NS lines. In fact on the back it says, you need to check in and out for every carrier. Given that text, if it it wasn't valid for the other carriers I would have explicitly put a remark on the front ('Alleen geldig op NS lijnen' or something similar). I've seen a remark of that extend on a railway ticket before already, even though I can't remember on what ticket that was (probably a Kruidvat/HEMA-ticket or a second-to-first-class upgrade ticket).
Old August 16th, 2014, 10:15 PM   #1812
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
for Netherlands has some nasty trees whose leaves can become sometimes as slippery as as a greased track.
Yes, and of course all countries around the Netherlands don't suffer from the same problem at all. In fact this laser system is already tried and tested in Britain, you know, that country with the wrong kind of snow. Oh wait, the AB V250 suffered from the wrong kind of snow too.

There as several precautions you can take (sanders on all trains, rail brakes and more driven axles). Except for the rail brakes on some models, NS uses none of them.
Old August 17th, 2014, 12:54 AM   #1813
radamfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
Interesting. It doesn't state anywhere on the front nor the back that it is only valid on NS lines. In fact on the back it says, you need to check in and out for every carrier. Given that text, if it it wasn't valid for the other carriers I would have explicitly put a remark on the front ('Alleen geldig op NS lijnen' or something similar). I've seen a remark of that extend on a railway ticket before already, even though I can't remember on what ticket that was (probably a Kruidvat/HEMA-ticket or a second-to-first-class upgrade ticket).
I have shown it to a Dutch ticket expert and he said if it is not valid on other train companies it has to say so on the front. Maybe it says that on the regular priced (50.80 euro) ones from the machine?
Old August 17th, 2014, 12:58 AM   #1814
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
DB had indicated earlier this year that they wanted to step out of Thalys. Now NS has shown interest to take over their 10% share. NS is already owner of 2 Thalys train sets, but still this is a bit strange, because since the V250 debacle they said they weren't interested in high speed rail anymore.
My guess is that NS wants to make sure that Thalys will continue to serve the Netherlands 14 times a day as NS promised the government, and that they want a piece of Thalys's revenues.
Old August 17th, 2014, 02:23 AM   #1815
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
My guess is that NS wants to make sure that Thalys will continue to serve the Netherlands 14 times a day as NS promised the government, and that they want a piece of Thalys's revenues.
Could it be that NS International (new brand of NS Hi-Speed) buys some second-hand TGVs from SNCF and fit them to run on the route?
Old August 17th, 2014, 02:36 AM   #1816
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

I don't think so. There's no need for that, because:
1) Thalys and Eurostar will be the high speed carriers between Amsterdam and Brussels
2) There will be classic IC service via The Hague and Breda to cater for passengers not wanting to pay for the HST
3) The tender for the IC200 rolling stock specifies "fit for operation in Belgium" as one of the options for a subsequent order.

Given that ICRm will be 40 years old in 2025, NS might be looking to replace the ICRm stock with IC200 stock by that time. By including this option in the tender for IC200, they avoid having to go through yet another tendering procedure when the need to replace ICRm arises.
Old August 17th, 2014, 02:20 PM   #1817
radamfi

14 Thalys trains per hour doesn't seem very much for such an important link as Amsterdam - Rotterdam - Brussels.
Old August 17th, 2014, 02:24 PM   #1818
radamfi

Is it likely that the Thalys frequency could be reduced? 14 trains per day doesn't sound like much for such an important route.
Old August 17th, 2014, 02:27 PM   #1819
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
14 Thalys trains per hour doesn't seem very much for such an important link as Amsterdam - Rotterdam - Brussels.
LOL

MrAronymous liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2014, 02:42 PM   #1820
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Quote:
14 Thalys trains per hour
That actually would have been cool. However a line with that many high speed trains per hour already exists: the Tokaido Shinkansen (and the line between Tokyo and Omiya is probably even more busy!)