daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 22nd, 2014, 03:53 PM   #1841
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
PS: at the moment my biggest issue, apart from not having a house, is discovering if I can obtain an OV-studentenkaart. If so, I'll proclaim myself new King of the Netherlands.
Your university should have some student org. that helps exchange students find homes. You will also find many written ads on some mural.

As for OV-Studentenkaart - no, you cannot apply to one, unless you are a Dutch citizen, completed regular primary education in Netheralnds, offspring of parents who have lived in Netherlands, or (EU/EEA citizens only) work more than a certain number per hours per month.

If you want to travel by train a lot, you can apply for a weekend off-peak pass (€ 29/month, minimum commitment 1 year, thus 12 x €29 = €348). It gives unlimited second-class travel from Friday 19.00 till Monday 4.00.

Last edited by Suburbanist; August 22nd, 2014 at 04:13 PM.
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 22nd, 2014, 03:59 PM   #1842
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

You just crushed my biggest dream for the next 5 months...

Is there any simple day pass, for single use?

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2014, 04:12 PM   #1843
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
You just crushed my biggest dream for the next 5 months...

Is there any simple day pass, for single use?
Yes, the Dakgaart. Is costs € 50,80 for 1 day of unlimited train travel.

There is also a Dal Voordel discount pass. It costs € 50, is valid for one year and gives 40% discount off-peak (peak times: Mon-Fri 6.30-9.00; 16.30-19.00) and also for "Dagkaart" fares.

From time to time, certain stores sell discounted day passes, you usually have to buy a code on the counter, pay and activate it online. You can check this and this webistes that often collect info on which stores are selling promotional "dagkaart". Pay attention between the distinction of sales period and travel period (usually far longer than sales period).
Old August 22nd, 2014, 09:25 PM   #1844
Theijs

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
You just crushed my biggest dream for the next 5 months... Is there any simple day pass, for single use?
Add present, DEEN and BLOKKER have day tickets for offer.
Theijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2014, 12:39 AM   #1845
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
There is also a Dal Voordel discount pass. It costs € 50, is valid for one year and gives 40% discount off-peak (peak times: Mon-Fri 6.30-9.00; 16.30-19.00)
Please be aware that you need to have a Dutch address and bank account to be eligble to purchase one of these passes. While you can probably figure out a way around the address requirement, the bank account will be more difficult.

NS requires you to pay using iDeal, a payment system only available for Dutch bank accounts. By paying for a pass you're authorizing NS to deduct any further payments from your bank account. For Dal Voordeel this will be a yearly withdrawel of € 50, for other subscriptions it will be a monthly payment.

Terminating the subscription at the end of the contract term is always possible of course, but you are also required to remove the product from your OV-chipkaart at a ticket vending machine. If you don't remove the product from your OV-chipkaart in time, NS will bill you for another contract period - even if you don't use it!

Quote:
and also for "Dagkaart" fares.
NS stopped selling Dagkaarten with a 40% discount somewhere last year, as they deemed the usage to be too low now that people can use the OV-chipkaart.
Old August 23rd, 2014, 12:58 AM   #1846
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
NS stopped selling Dagkaarten with a 40% discount somewhere last year, as they deemed the usage to be too low now that people can use the OV-chipkaart.
Here is what I found on NS website

Quote:
U kunt een Dagkaart combineren met een Dal Voordeel, Dal Vrij, Altijd Voordeel, Weekend Vrij of Voordeelurenabonnement op de OV-chipkaart. Zodra u incheckt reist u die dag reist u dan op de Dagkaart.
Old August 23rd, 2014, 02:49 AM   #1847
AlexNL

Ah, I get where you're coming from. That sentence is confusing, as it's not intended to say anything about potential price reductions. It only says that you can load the Dagkaart product onto a OV-chipkaart that already holds an NS product.

It intends to say something like this:
"If you buy a Dagkaart, you pay € 50,80 for one day of unlimited train journeys with NS. When you check in, your card won't be charged again as you have already paid € 50,80."

Normally it's not possible to have more than one NS product on an OV-chipkaart. You can't have Weekend Vrij and Altijd Voordeel (-20% peak, -40% off-peak) on the same card. Selecting the right product is quite challenging for the validators, so they opted to go with this route. The Dagkaart is an exception to this limitation.

Suburbanist liked this post
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2014, 11:32 AM   #1848
radamfi

Likes (Received): 58

Wow, I also assumed that you could get 40% off the Dagkaart. You could get 40% off the old paper Dagkaart. It is a good job that high street shops sell those cheap e-tickets.

The website http://www.treinreiziger.nl used to advertise a website which would sell e-tickets after the offer had expired, for a slight premium. That was good for people living outside of the Netherlands who didn't live near the relevant shop selling the cheap tickets. The site previously said that NS didn't mind that. But now the website says that it is illegal.

http://www.treinreiziger.nl/reizen/k..._acties-144654

Hopefully the 25 euro offer at Eindhoven airport will continue for a long time!
radamfi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2014, 04:36 PM   #1849
Theijs

Quote:
Originally Posted by radamfi View Post
Hopefully the 25 euro offer at Eindhoven airport will continue for a long time!
For now the Blokker offer is cheaper, and you can pay with credit card.
http://www.blokker.nl/nl/blknl/ns-da...-dagkaart-2014
Old August 23rd, 2014, 06:48 PM   #1850
radamfi

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theijs View Post
For now the Blokker offer is cheaper, and you can pay with credit card.
http://www.blokker.nl/nl/blknl/ns-da...-dagkaart-2014
That offer is probably good for Wilhem275, now he is in NL. He might be well advised to stock up in case the offer sells out (OP=OP!)

If I was visiting NL before 7 September it would be good for me as you don't need to print off the ticket. Sadly I'm not planning to visit NL until probably around Christmas time now. The advantage of the Eindhoven airport ticket is that it is valid until July 2016 and it is valid in peak hours.
radamfi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2014, 07:34 PM   #1851
AlexNL

Be aware that the Blokker dagkaart has some limitations:
- With NS, you have to check in before using it. Checking in is only possible during off-peak hours, but once checked in you can also travel during peak hours. If you don't check in, you won't have a valid ticket!
- With other operators, you'll have to stamp your ticket using the yellow validators on the stations. Traveling during peak hours is not permitted.
- You are required to pay a supplement to use the ICE and IC Direct trains.
Old August 25th, 2014, 01:09 AM   #1852
Wilhem275
The Transporter

This morning I arrived in Amsterdam and then I had my weird trip around the city, and I truly enjoyed it.

I even witnessed the Weesp bridge being raised, and I must admit it scared me since I didn't expect a bridge going airborne there

The lady at the info desk had a WTF moment when I showed her my route, but then confirmed the ticket was valid.
Onboard staff said nothing but the first one wanted to check also the credit card (meant from DB as an identification document) and paid extra care at the day of validity.

Now I'm DH, moving with trams (and swearing a lot because the way they show the network is terrible).

Some things I read about usage of OV-C:
1) You don't pay if you check in and out in the same station within a certain time (60' is plenty of time even for a trainspotter...)
https://www.ov-chipkaart.nl/reizen/g...nofuitzwaaien/

2) They say that, travelling with the same mode of transfer, check out is requested only at the final stop. https://www.ov-chipkaart.nl/reizen/g...t/overstappen/

But I don't get it: this way I could check in, make a round trip of the whole network (within 35' of and check out at a station near the origin, and just pay the short trip.
And what happens at ticket check, do I just show them my OV-C which had been checked in somewhere?

I must be missing something...

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Old August 25th, 2014, 01:15 AM   #1853
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Off-topic: Have you managed to sort accomodation yet?
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2014, 01:26 AM   #1854
verfmeer

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
2) They say that, travelling with the same mode of transfer, check out is requested only at the final stop. https://www.ov-chipkaart.nl/reizen/g...t/overstappen/

But I don't get it: this way I could check in, make a round trip of the whole network (within 35' of and check out at a station near the origin, and just pay the short trip.
And what happens at ticket check, do I just show them my OV-C which had been checked in somewhere?

You can only travel to every station without check-out interuptions if you go the direct route. If you don't use one of the routes shown in the reisplanner (travel planner), you have to check out at your via location. So if you go from Rotterdam to Utrecht via Amsterdam Centraal, you have to check out and check in at Amsterdam Centraal.
verfmeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2014, 01:52 AM   #1855
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Well, they'd better write this in the document...
I was thinking about this today in Weesp, having in front of me two SLTs, at the same platform, both showing the destination "Hoofddorp"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Off-topic: Have you managed to sort accomodation yet?
NO! I'll have a sure (and nice) roof till Friday, but I must sort out something before...

Something is moving, but still very slowly. Tomorrow the courses begin and I'll ask tutors and other people what to do (I've been in town for 5 hours and I already have randomly hooked up the right contact ).

Old August 25th, 2014, 02:11 AM   #1856
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 520

Quote:
Originally Posted by radamfi View Post
Last week I used the new Antwerpen to Eindhoven bus, run by DB, and I had a normal DB e-ticket same as you get for the train. The driver didn't bother to check the ID. However, although the bus was branded DB, the bus had a Dutch numberplate and had a Dutch speaking driver (so presumably Dutch or Belgian). Maybe my ID would have been checked if the driver was German!
Buses are owned by Arriva (I guess) and registered in Groningen. That's why buses have Dutch plates. DB was looking for coach drivers couple months ago. I was curious when I read about driver jobs opening for a shuttle service in between Dusseldorf and Antwerpen (as was stated on the website).Drivers are Dutch, mostly from vicinity of Eindhoven.

The same is with IC Bus operating in between Berlin Hbf and Wroclaw / Opole (Poland)[ with free WiFi on whole route]. Buses are registered in Poland (Opole - so presumably coaches are own by Sindbad - huge Polish cross-European coach company) and drivers are for sure Polish. We've talked together.

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2014, 02:45 AM   #1857
AlexNL

Quote:
This morning I arrived in Amsterdam and then I had my weird trip around the city, and I truly enjoyed it.
Welcome!
Quote:
Now I'm DH, moving with trams (and swearing a lot because the way they show the network is terrible).
The HTM network map is somewhat peculiair indeed. It's not fully complete either, metro line E (the one from The Hague to Rotterdam) is not shown on the map as it is operated by RET!
Quote:
Some things I read about usage of OV-C:
1) You don't pay if you check in and out in the same station within a certain time (60' is plenty of time even for a trainspotter...)
https://www.ov-chipkaart.nl/reizen/g...nofuitzwaaien/
Correct. This is so people can cross the gates to say goodbye to others boarding a train, or for some quick shopping at the station.
Quote:
It depends.

1) If you have touched in in a vehicle, you have to touch out when leaving the vehicle. You can't touch out in a different vehicle, not even if it's running on the same route.
2) If traveling by subway or train, you touch in and out on the stations. When taking a train and you're traveling over a different route ("from A to B via C") you'll also have to do that at the point you're traveling via.
3) When traveling by train and changing operators while en-route, you will have to touch out at operator A and in with operator B.

Quote:
The 35 minutes only applies to transfers between vehicles and transporation modes. When traveling by bus or tram, you can remain checked in until the vehicle reaches its terminus. If the vehicles leaves the terminus when starting a new ride, your check-in has been invalidated.

When traveling by train, two rules come into play:
1) You are not allowed to travel towards the station where you touched in.
2) The maximum trip duration is 6 hours

You will be fined if you are caught traveling to your touch-in station. Rule #2 is not strictly enforced by ticket inspectors, but it's a possibility that the backend systems operated by NS will mark those trips as 'fraudulent'.

They already do that for people having a "Traject Vrij" abonnement (pass valid for routes between two stations).

Quote:
That's all there is to it, yes. Please be aware that if you hold a personal OV-chipkaart (the one with name and photo on it) you must make sure that the information on the card is still readable.

Furthermore, you're not allowed to share a personal OV-chipkaart, even when making a single full-fare trip!
Quote:
The OV-chipkaart system can be quite complex, yes. This is because it has to satisfy dozens of stakeholders (governments, passengers, operators, and so on) and has to be able to cope with boatloads of terms for reductions, passes, etc. However, once you get the hang of it the system can work pretty well for you.

Wilhem275 liked this post
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2014, 04:24 AM   #1858
Suburbanist
on the road

Just another detail: in some relations, there isn't a single allowed route, but two or maybe more (?).

Those I know of (I'm sure there are more):

- you can travel between Schiphol (and points beyond) and Almere (and points beyond) both via Amsterdam Zuid or Amsterdam Centraal.

- you can travel between Breda, Tilburg and stations in between to Amsterdam, Schiphol, Almere and points beyond via 's-Hertogenbosch or via Rotterdam/HSL
Old August 25th, 2014, 10:07 AM   #1859
Theijs

Quote:
Now I'm DH, moving with trams
As I'm working here, we can meet up for a drink.

Quote:
As explained by Alex: use of OV-Chip in trams and buses is vehicle bound, metro and railway is station bound.

Wilhem275 liked this post
Old August 25th, 2014, 10:42 AM   #1860
AlexNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
- you can travel between Breda, Tilburg and stations in between to Amsterdam, Schiphol, Almere and points beyond via 's-Hertogenbosch or via Rotterdam/HSL
Be aware that you are required to buy a supplement ("Toeslag") when traveling via the high speed route between Rotterdam and Schiphol. You can do this at the ticket vending machines, or by using the 'Toeslagzuil' on the platform.