daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 23rd, 2008, 08:44 AM   #41
jmancuso
make it so...

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBridge View Post
Why would anyone want to build highrises 8KM outside the city centre then, when there's so much open space left?
it's in another developed area in houston (uptown/ galleria area) and not out in the middle of nowhere.

the skyline in the distance....
image hosted on flickr

Quote:
...less popular than cities like San Francisco or London.
again, popularity is a relative term. the LA area is one of the largest metropolises in the world and an almost has as many people as greater london and the bay area combined. houston is among the fast growing in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicform
i LOVE truthiness. most of the tall buildings in that photograph are over 10 years old.
maybe not 10 years old but other than centerpoint, london really didn't start to see tall buildings until the 70's.

Last edited by jmancuso; January 23rd, 2008 at 08:50 AM.
jmancuso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2008, 02:31 PM   #42
Trae

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
You really expect me to even explain this? Are you sure you can't come up with the answer yourself?
Explain, because Houston is growing faster than both of them.
Trae no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 06:09 PM   #43
SkyBridge
a.k.a. Sequentia

Likes (Received): 1849

Since when is growth linked to popularity this explicitly?
Old January 23rd, 2008, 06:20 PM   #44
Dallasbrink
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

SkyBridge, being from Dallas, i would usually jump on the bash Houston band wagon with you, but not this time. The Texas Metro areas are for more spread out then other cities around the world, so your going to see sky scrapers forming there own little sky lines apart from the Downtown area. Also Houston is growing at an alarming rate as well as the other 3 cities in the Texas Triangle so since allot of companies are re-locating to Texas and the TRIANGLE i would say that growth is contributing to popularity on this one.
Dallasbrink no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 06:34 PM   #45
ArchiTennis
Angeleeeeeeeno

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Since when is growth linked to popularity this explicitly?
This is a thread relating to the Ritz Carlton. Stop your mumbo jumbo and save it for a city discussion thread.

Anyway, how far along is the Ritz now? any news?
ArchiTennis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 06:47 PM   #46
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 12363

Quote:
Study a bit of history about skyscrapers and you might find out marvels, none of which have happened in London
oh dear... i know that london had taller buildings than new york or chicago until a height limit was introduced in 1889 because queen victoria didnt like them. i know that until the international movement came along, all the innovations in tall buildings were pinched directly from british victorian engineering. i know that the first building to have all these innovations was the grand midland hotel in london with hydraulic lifts, concrete floors, fire proof construction, revolving doors, and a mere 500 rooms. 89 meters tall, finished in 1870 with several floors trimmed off it to save money. at the back was a train station with the largest single span roof in the world, 74m wide, 30m high and 213 metres long.

i know that the british houses of parliament has the victoria tower, a 12 floor 98.5 metre tall archive for the british parliament set around a central service core of lifts with a 553 step stair case. there are 8 rooms per floor on it and when counting the spire it's only 120.8m tall. it was finished in 1858.

there's queen anne mansions (now demolished), the cecil hotel (which actually had more floors than what everyone thinks was the world's first skyscraper in chicago), the natural history museum, the now demolished imperial institute, the central criminal courts (although sadly the monumental waterhouse design was never built), the assizes courts in manchester (destroyed in world war 2) and crystal palace complete with its two 82 metre tall observation/water towers.

i mean the definition according to wikipedia is -
Quote:
This definition was based on the steel skeleton—as opposed to constructions of load-bearing masonry, which passed their practical limit in 1891 with Chicago's Monadnock Building.
but , but , but... the victoria tower! taller. older! etc. lol.
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 07:46 PM   #47
nygirl

Likes (Received): 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchiTennis View Post
This is a thread relating to the Ritz Carlton. Stop your mumbo jumbo and save it for a city discussion thread.

Anyway, how far along is the Ritz now? any news?
Agreed, this is not the place to vent your frusterations with Houston, SkyBridge. No offense if you are simply trying to get your opinion across on Houston and how it grows but I think other then the backlash you are getting and will get, that noone gives a flying fk about your opinion.

Seriously shaddup and get back to topic which is a 66 floor! Ritz Carlton! in Houston.... !. Good for Houston and I hope we get the ball rolling on this one soon.

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 08:04 PM   #48
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 170

does this thing twist?.....or does the glass just shrink on top?
xXFallenXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 09:08 PM   #49
SkyBridge
a.k.a. Sequentia

Likes (Received): 1849

There are some seriously immature people here - why would you even want to swear on a forum? And read a bit better! I am not ventilating anything against Houston, from what I've heard Houston is a great city with many nice buildings and places. I am only questioning the location of this tower, because it is my belief (and also that of many others) that skyscrapers are built for a purpose and not just randomly.

Okay, back to a great looking building now. I don't think I should waste more time on people who can't read, swear and can't take any critics at all. Must be an easy world if you can only be positive about every development in your city
Old January 24th, 2008, 12:03 AM   #50
Trae

Well this tower is built for a purpose and not just randomly. Did you care to look at the photo above? Take a look at this one:

image hosted on flickr
Old January 24th, 2008, 12:05 AM   #51
Dallasbrink
BANNED

I think its the closeness to the sea that puts that mist in the air to give this city some awesome pics.
Old January 24th, 2008, 12:11 AM   #52
Dallasbrink
BANNED

huhhhhhhhhh....my mind just been blown!

This tower looks like Museum tower that been proposed for the Dallas Art District for the past year!

Ritz
Old January 24th, 2008, 12:46 AM   #53
Trae

Maybe a little, but Houston's Ritz is taller and doesn't have those balconies that the Museum Tower in Dallas has. By the way, photos from the site:

Under construction it seems.
Old January 24th, 2008, 12:49 AM   #54
nygirl

Likes (Received): 430

It looks great, does it have a slight twist?

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 01:12 AM   #55
dios tanatos
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
Wow.

It's kind of obvious that METRO isn't building now, but they are about to start construction this year, and all 38 miles will be complete before 2012.

It's kind of obvious to you, but not to someone who doesn't live in Houston.

I insist, so far the rail line along Post Oak Blvd is nothing but a project from the Transit Authority.
dios tanatos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 01:42 AM   #56
Trae

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl View Post
It looks great, does it have a slight twist?
No, I believe it is just straight up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dios tanatos View Post
It's kind of obvious to you, but not to someone who doesn't live in Houston.

I insist, so far the rail line along Post Oak Blvd is nothing but a project from the Transit Authority.
It is WAY more than just a project, and will begin this Summer 2008. Part of it will be a subway. But if you don't live in Houston, how can you "insist that it is nothing but a project"?
Old January 24th, 2008, 03:48 AM   #57
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Likes (Received): 168

This one should top out roughly around the 700 ft. mark.
Old January 24th, 2008, 08:45 PM   #58
dios tanatos
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post

It is WAY more than just a project, and will begin this Summer 2008. Part of it will be a subway. But if you don't live in Houston, how can you "insist that it is nothing but a project"?
And who told you that I don't live in Houston?
What I meant is , you can deceive the non-residents who read this thread, but we Houstonians know perfectly well that the rail line you're talking about is nothing more than a PROPOSAL. It has yet to be submitted to a referendum, and in case of approval federal funding must be obtained to finance it. So the whole thing is a long way off.
dios tanatos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 11:55 PM   #59
Trae

Quote:
What I meant is , you can deceive the non-residents who read this thread, but we Houstonians know perfectly well that the rail line you're talking about is nothing more than a PROPOSAL. It has yet to be submitted to a referendum, and in case of approval federal funding must be obtained to finance it. So the whole thing is a long way off.

You are not up to date on things.
Old January 25th, 2008, 02:36 AM   #60
jmancuso
make it so...

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
actually, *i think* it has passed the referendum and the plans are in place for the post oak route (which went from being BRT for LRT) and now the only hurdle is federal funding and as sure as a bear shits in the woods, they will drag their feet but it will happen.