daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 1st, 2008, 09:02 PM   #61
farhan007

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBridge View Post
^ Has more to do with city planning than with history IMO. Luckily ideas on this are turning around, and we're seeing more and more cities becoming healthy.
no it has everything to do with history and what era the city boomed.... London was a major city before the automobile and houston was boomed after the automobile was invented.... That is the difference between London and Houston and it is the main difference between sprawled American cities and cities that were boomed before the 1900's
farhan007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 1st, 2008, 09:08 PM   #62
farhan007

Quote:
First of all, Rotterdam too has a lot of the same problems with open space. And I don't need to calm down, this is a highrise forum not a city forum and I am interested in all projects around the world. So I'm not "coming down" to this section, I visit almost all threads and read them with great interest. As for Houston, maybe succesful wasn't the right term to use. I should've said 'more liveable'. The car dominated cities you are referring to carry many problems with them and make them less popular than cities like San Francisco or London.

I am in many ways involved with highrises, also in my studies, and I believe that in many cases highrises are used in the wrong way. Building highrises outside the city near huge open spaces for me is a wrong way of building highrises. That's all I was trying to say.
funny... about the "more livable" argument you have..... Unlike you I lived in both type of cities(dense and sprawled).... I currently live in the Boston area.... I used to live in a suburb of Houston(Sugar Land).... In my own personal experience, living in sugar land was so much easier and livable than living in Boston....
farhan007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 03:07 PM   #63
SkyBridge
a.k.a. Sequentia

Likes (Received): 1849

^ First of all, everything you say IS city planning. Cities were planned around cars, biggest mistake ever made. We'll need at least 50 more years to fix this.

Secondly, I also lived in both type of cities. However, I lived in the city centres which is not comparable to living in a suburb. Living in a suburb is comparable to living in a small town or village, which indeed can be very nice! I don't see how this adds to the discussion of lifeless/empty city centres.

Funny by the way, Boston always seems like a great place to live somehow! Does it depend on the neighbourhood?
Old June 8th, 2008, 11:23 PM   #64
Trae

Likes (Received): 20

New renderings:

More (there is a Ritz logo in the design plans):

http://www.wulfe.com/BoulevardPlace.asp#
Trae no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 11:31 PM   #65
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6534

nice design, really like it. especially the slight twist
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 12:11 AM   #66
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28354

it gives it a bit extra.
Eric Offereins está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 02:23 AM   #67
The other Dude

Likes (Received): 10

but they are not efficient, if it takes two hours just to go from the suburbs to downtown, something is wrong. and as much as i know LA has a very bad public traffic system, which increases pollution. if you have 50km of small houses without shops and other things everyone has to go downtown for shopping, which produces a lot of traffic. well, this all is so offtopic :-D
Old June 9th, 2008, 03:17 AM   #68
Angelino

Quote:
I cannot disagree more The entire concept of a 'city' is clustering residences, offices and leisure in an area as small as possible. The most succeful and liveable cities in the world are not Houston, Los Angeles and Dallas but the most dense ones - Amsterdam, New York, London, Paris, Tokyo, Hong Kong, etc.

Also, pollution has NOTHING to do with density. Spreading out cities with suburbs only increases traffic - this is a proven fact.
I think your way off base. Why does a city have to be void of open space? If your idea of enjoying life is people living on top of each other, there are many who would disagree. Aside form New York Cities magnificent skyline and street life, what makes it livable is knowing you can escape the congestion, noise, and pollution of the city, by heading to Central Park. A ture oasis. More modern, newer cites, offer plenty of beautifully lanscaped parks and open spaces.
Angelino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 03:20 AM   #69
Trae

Memorial Park is not too far away from this place. It will soon be just a light rail ride away. Memorial Park is like 3x the size of Central Park, too.
Old June 9th, 2008, 03:41 AM   #70
Angelino

Quote:
First of all, Rotterdam too has a lot of the same problems with open space. And I don't need to calm down, this is a highrise forum not a city forum and I am interested in all projects around the world. So I'm not "coming down" to this section, I visit almost all threads and read them with great interest. As for Houston, maybe succesful wasn't the right term to use. I should've said 'more liveable'. The car dominated cities you are referring to carry many problems with them and make them less popular than cities like San Francisco or London.

I am in many ways involved with highrises, also in my studies, and I believe that in many cases highrises are used in the wrong way. Building highrises outside the city near huge open spaces for me is a wrong way of building highrises. That's all I was trying to say.

Skybridge, have you ever actually visited Los Angeles? Have you seen some the the cites incredible attractions, like Venice Beach, the Griffith Park Observatory, nestled atop the beautiful Hollywood Hills, or the Getty Museum, located on a hillside of the Santa Monica Montain range. I can go on and on, but it's clear your definition of a "Successful City", is all about highrise buildings and density, not natural beauty. Los Angeles, as most west coast U.S. Cities, have developed in and around hills, mountians, and the Pacific ocean. Newer cities like Dallas, Houston, Denver, Salt Lake, San Diego, Los Angeles, Phoenix, etc, are actually gaining in polulation and commerce as America's population continues to move westward.
Old June 9th, 2008, 03:44 AM   #71
iliamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
woah, that is the most hideous parking lot i have ever seen...

great development though!
iliamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 04:08 AM   #72
Trae

That parking lot is going to get redeveloped, too. With the light rail coming through (and partial subway), it is bound to happen.
Old June 9th, 2008, 08:15 AM   #73
SkyBridge
a.k.a. Sequentia

Surely, cities need open spaces! What makes these open spaces succesful and SAFE is what borders it.

Surely L.A. is a great place to live for many people. However, to me there is very little ´city´ to L.A. and a lot of ´town´. That's no big deal, that's what gives it part of it's charm apart from the setting. The low density however is also part of what has made L.A. one of the unsafest cities in the country in the past 100 years, let's not forget that.

My point was not that low density cities are bad, at all. My point was that towers should first be means and not an end. Towers built in low density areas don't make sense because the reason they are and should be built are lack of space. Lowrise buildings can too have spectacular architecture, without some of the downsides of highrise buildings.

Just my two cents, you don't have to agree but I know a lot of experts do by now. Carelessly building highrises belongs to the past century.
Old June 10th, 2008, 03:04 AM   #74
Angelino

Quote:
Surely, cities need open spaces! What makes these open spaces succesful and SAFE is what borders it.

Surely L.A. is a great place to live for many people. However, to me there is very little ´city´ to L.A. and a lot of ´town´. That's no big deal, that's what gives it part of it's charm apart from the setting. The low density however is also part of what has made L.A. one of the unsafest cities in the country in the past 100 years, let's not forget that.

My point was not that low density cities are bad, at all. My point was that towers should first be means and not an end. Towers built in low density areas don't make sense because the reason they are and should be built are lack of space. Lowrise buildings can too have spectacular architecture, without some of the downsides of highrise buildings.

Just my two cents, you don't have to agree but I know a lot of experts do by now. Carelessly building highrises belongs to the past century.
I'm not sure what the "Experts" say. But when it comes to FBI crime statistics for US cites, in 2007 Los Angeles ranked 31st in terms of crime, with Detroit #1, Baltimore #2, Washington DC # 7, Miami # 15, Houston # 16, Boston # 29, etc.
Old June 10th, 2008, 03:15 AM   #75
SkyBridge
a.k.a. Sequentia

^ Rankings don't mean that much to me, because compared to European cities even #31 is pretty bad, especially when you look at violent crimes. But this of course has nothing to do with this particular building in Houston
Old January 18th, 2009, 07:07 PM   #76
Houstonian

Likes (Received): 2

As for this development..

Construction progress has stopped and this thing is On Hold... (Due to the economy duh!)

Also the developer of this project and the city are having a little dispute over a LITTLE bit of land.

This is not a proposal anymore and it already has been approved..

Can someone move this thread to the u/c section?
Houstonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 06:40 AM   #77
jacobchan

Likes (Received): 4

happy that safe not close in city
just better few day ago was close
jacobchan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 08:46 AM   #78
ir desi

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhan007 View Post
funny... about the "more livable" argument you have..... Unlike you I lived in both type of cities(dense and sprawled).... I currently live in the Boston area.... I used to live in a suburb of Houston(Sugar Land).... In my own personal experience, living in sugar land was so much easier and livable than living in Boston....
What a funny coincidence! I lived in Houston for two years, in (Piney Point, in Spring Branch ISD). We were strongly considering Sugarland as well when we first moved to Houston. I'm now in Acton, MA, about 25 miles out of Boston. If you are comfortable saying, where in Boston are you?

I personally find Boston much more livable. Even though, frankly, I lived in one of the best parts of the city, the city just didn't have the same aura as Boston.
Besides, I could never get over the sulfur stench from the refineries, even though I was 6 years old at the time. Not to rag on Houston too much though, I did enjoy it quite a bit in other ways. In some ways, the ridiculous urban planning worked out. Most people who worked where my dad did could get to my father's office tower (on the Sam Houston Tollway just south of the Katy freeway interchange) within 10 minutes of their homes. The Galleria Mall was hardly 15 minutes from home and downtown no more than 20.

To Skybridge, yes, Boston is really different depending on how far out you live. The inner city, extending about 10 miles in any direction, is very, very dense and highly "livable". However, Boston's suburban metro is one of the largest in the nation, and effectively extends 50-60 miles out in any direction (except the water of course). Getting outside the 128 belt, density drops below even Atlanta, primarily due to extremely high wealth levels and town zoning laws that are amenable to forcing 1 acre minimum lots and enormous green spaces separating homes. In this way, there is a really strong tradeoff. Although the commute time to, basically anywhere, is 20-30 minutes minimum, the schools are the best in the state (which are best in the country) and the living is easy and quiet. The problem is, suburban Boston is as auto-dependent as any other suburb around the country even though the inner city is ideal for mass transit. To give some perspective, 2 MBTA subway lines outweigh the total ridership of the MBTA's 14 commuter rail lines put together
By the way, does anyone know if they ever fixed the traffic lights on San Felipe Dr? I remember very clearly that the lights ALWAYS favored the crossroad, not the main road!

Wow, I just realized the posts I am responding to are a year old...
ir desi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 09:59 AM   #79
Houstonian

I think he/she won't respond any time soon.
Old January 19th, 2009, 09:26 PM   #80
Houstonian

Here are photos of the construction before it was put on hold..

Haif Channeltwonews

image hosted on flickr

Haif ingleberd