daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 19th, 2008, 08:38 PM   #1
alta-bc
alta-bc

Likes (Received): 0

MISC | Public transport to airports

What are some examples of very large airports with NO direct metro, subway or LRT connections to airports and very small airports WITH direct connections? This is concerning connections to the city's rail based transit system, not airport people movers.

One that comes to mind is Toronto (YYZ), very large airport, no connection.

Last edited by dimlys1994; March 17th, 2016 at 08:32 PM.
alta-bc no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2008, 08:52 PM   #2
sterlinglush

Likes (Received): 5

LAX: no rail connection into the airport. There's a stop nearby on the Green Line but it's not the same thing. San Diego's airport also lacks a rail connection, even though the Trolley passes quite close by. There's no rail link to New York LaGuardia, either. Detroit is a major airport but the city has only a one-way people mover/ circulator line downtown and no regional rail system.

Both Chicago airports, SFO, Atlanta, Newark, JFK, Portland, Minneapolis, DFW, and St Louis, BWI, and Washington National all have rail connections. Burbank has a commuter rail station of its own. Boston's airport has a dedicated stop but it still requires riding a bus.

The US generally lacks airport rail connections but the trend seems to be to connect them. The rail systems in Houston, Charlotte, Seattle, Sacramento, Washington (Dulles), Denver, and Phoenix all seem to have plans for links to their airports. Even Little Rock is looking into extending its streetcar to the airport.

I live in the suburbs of Seoul. The Airport Express from Incheon Airport (international) only goes as far as Gimpo Airport (domestic), which in turn is on the subway. The trip would be much less of a hassle if the line were finished, and extended all the way to Seoul Station. I live on the same line and could theoretically get to Incheon in less than 2 hours that way! Elsewhere in Korea, the Gwangju and Busan airports are due to get rail links sooner or later. Daegu is a fairly important airport here but the subway passes close by and provides no direct connection.
sterlinglush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 02:22 AM   #3
TexasBoi
Texas-NoVA

Likes (Received): 33

As of right now, DFW airport has no connection from it's local LRT line. I don't think the TRE connect there either. But the Orange Line is proposed to connect from downtown Dallas to DFW airport and is scheduled to open in 2013. But I think it's hitting a bit of problems with construction costs right now.

More information on Dart.org.
TexasBoi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 02:24 AM   #4
serbsil
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Here we have two aiports: Cumbica (Guarulhos) and Congonhas. None of them has a subway, railway, BRT ou LTR to them. Only special bus lines to some points of the city.

But there is a project to link Cumbica airport to city center by rail/subway system in 20 minutes called "Airport Express".
serbsil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 03:38 AM   #5
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8834

Small airports with mass transit:

Dusseldorf Flughafen which has both a Stadtbahn (U79) and S-bahn service (S7). (17.8 million passengers)

Hannover Flughafen has an S-bahn service (S5). (5.4 million passengers)

Nürnberg Flughafen has a U-bahn connection (U2). (3.6 million passengers)

London-Luton has an airport railway station but it is quite a walk from the terminal. I believe there is a bus service to the station though. Not really mass transit, but better than nothing! (9.94 million passengers)

Stockholm Arlanda has an airport express train (very fancy looking too!). (13 million passengers)

These are all the small airports I can think of now. I'll probably come back with some more later.

More regionally important airports with no mass transit (though not necessarily larger airports)

Melbourne International has no rail connection though it does offer a premium charge bus service to the centre. It is not that large, but it is highly important as it is the main airport for the whole of the state of Victoria and for Australias second largest city (21.4 million passengers).

Auckland International has no rail connection and only a premium charge bus service to the city centre. Although this airport has low passenger numbers, it is the main airport for the whole of New Zealand handing most of the international travel for the country (just over 11 million passengers).

Last edited by Svartmetall; January 20th, 2008 at 03:47 AM.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 06:34 AM   #6
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 67

Beijing currently relies on a chronically congested 6-lane tollway to get to its airport, but in a few months it will get ICTS rail to the city. But the projected end of the line is still a long subway ride away from three-quarters of the city.

Shanghai has the Maglev, but it currently ends at a suburban metro station so it's not "direct".
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 08:16 AM   #7
Hybrid 87
a.k.a. The King Arthur

Likes (Received): 525

Riga is planning to build a railway or a tram line connecting the airport. it's a part of the airport reconstruction/expansion project. it's still not deside what type of line it will. At the beginning all projects had a tram line and the general plan of until 2018 (or so) ha a tram connection to the airport.
Old January 20th, 2008, 07:02 PM   #8
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

I don't see why a metro or light rail would go to an airport... Most airports are too far outside of the city to warrant them.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 10:48 PM   #9
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 101933

Iampuking, agree. Airports should be connected to cities by express rail lines.

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库

_Night City Dream_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 12:46 AM   #10
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3272

Berlin Tegel had sweet f-a when I landed there a few years back, and it's quite centrally located (within city limits I think). I know it's not that big, but most flights ex-UK seem to land there.

As already mentioned 'London' Luton doesn't have a direct rail link, but Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted and London City all have dedicated stations / branch lines well located for the terminals... Gatwick probably the best located.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 12:54 AM   #11
ChrisH

Likes (Received): 12

In the UK, Birmingham and Southampton airports both have mainline railway stations. Birmingham has (I guess) 10 million passengers a year, but Southampton only about 2 million passengers a year.
ChrisH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 01:00 AM   #12
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
In the UK, Birmingham and Southampton airports both have mainline railway stations. Birmingham has (I guess) 10 million passengers a year, but Southampton only about 2 million passengers a year.
Plus Manchester has a dedicated rail link and I think Glasgow is getting one

I don't think Liverpool John Lennon, Leeds-Bradford or East Midlands airports have rail links even close, and Teeside airport, despite having a dedicated station, only sees a train per week or something ludicrous.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 03:57 AM   #13
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
I don't see why a metro or light rail would go to an airport... Most airports are too far outside of the city to warrant them.
It all depends on the city. In Vancouver, this is not the case... the airport is less than one hours drive from the city centre - and that's driving in peek hours city drive - not highway. It's less than 19 km away I know. So we are building a metro line - the Canada Line not only to serve City Centre to Airport, but also City Centre to Suburb (Richmond)
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 05:38 AM   #14
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2617

I always think of Manila's NAIA.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 07:10 AM   #15
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8834

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
Berlin Tegel had sweet f-a when I landed there a few years back, and it's quite centrally located (within city limits I think). I know it's not that big, but most flights ex-UK seem to land there.

As already mentioned 'London' Luton doesn't have a direct rail link, but Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted and London City all have dedicated stations / branch lines well located for the terminals... Gatwick probably the best located.
Berlin Tegel is shutting down to be replaced by Schönefeld I believe which will have S-bahn (S9 and S45), Regionalbahn and there may also be an extension of U7 of the U-bahn to it so it'll be much better provisioned (this is why I left it off the list).
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 07:11 AM   #16
spongeg

Likes (Received): 1742

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
It all depends on the city. In Vancouver, this is not the case... the airport is less than one hours drive from the city centre - and that's driving in peek hours city drive - not highway. It's less than 19 km away I know. So we are building a metro line - the Canada Line not only to serve City Centre to Airport, but also City Centre to Suburb (Richmond)
in non rush hour you can drive it in 15-20 minutes

Istanbul's airport has some kind of LRT connection - i saw it on the Amazing Race
spongeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 07:45 AM   #17
brisbanite

Likes (Received): 454

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
Well Heathrow has the tube going to the airport. It takes a long time to commute to the city but its a lot cheaper than the Heathrow Express from Paddington. I have used the tube a few times from Heathrow as it has connections to other lines, so in that way it becomes practical.
brisbanite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 09:45 AM   #18
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
Plus Manchester has a dedicated rail link and I think Glasgow is getting one

I don't think Liverpool John Lennon, Leeds-Bradford or East Midlands airports have rail links even close, and Teeside airport, despite having a dedicated station, only sees a train per week or something ludicrous.
Newcastle's metro goes out to the airport there as well.
Old January 21st, 2008, 04:00 PM   #19
Dourado
Hello other grown-up

Likes (Received): 511

Belo Horizonte's International Airport is 35km from downtown and has no train, metro or light rail connection. There are 2 special bus lines and a regular one, however.
Old January 21st, 2008, 07:40 PM   #20
Chavito

Likes (Received): 5

Madrid

Metro Line 8 has two stations connecting the two terminals of the airport

Aeropuerto T1, T2 y T3
Aeropuerto T4

Mexico City

Metro Line 5 - Terminal Aérea
Chavito no está en línea   Reply With Quote