daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 28th, 2008, 05:32 PM   #61
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

you keeping this going is childish!

Sponsored Links
Old January 29th, 2008, 11:45 AM   #62
tonkster

Likes (Received): 49

Lets drop it then. Agreed?
tonkster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 03:40 PM   #63
Rizzato
Blue Collar

dude...it's not even built yet so how the hell can you say with confidence it will be 'iconic'.
show me some pics when it's completed and then we'll see. But dont expect everyone to bow down just because this thing is 'unique'.
Old January 29th, 2008, 05:54 PM   #64
tonkster

I dunno man, the majority of the designs MAKE come up with tend to be referred to as iconic, theres just something about them. And this was designed with the intention of being iconic, with the majority of the British forumers agreeing (from looking at the renders) that it probably will be so. I hope so anyway! We'll just have to see.
Old January 29th, 2008, 07:27 PM   #65
Bel Ludovic

Likes (Received): 2

Birmingham has long sought to conflate its having the second highest urban population in Britain into an official 'Second City' status, and to that end has developed an obsession with development size - often at the expense of development quality.

Birmingham's attempts to have the biggest this, tallest that, most whatever, and a host of facilities prefaced with the word 'National', have failed to conclusively settle the issue of which is England's most important city outside London - a long-running debate that is currently hurtling out of Birmingham's favour. Nonetheless the city's endeavours continue.

Combine the above with memories of the brief high Birmingham experienced when Selfridges opened, and you can see that the drug of attention-seeking 'iconic' architecture is going to be a difficult one for the city to give up.

As for attention to detail, getting non-'iconic' buildings right and fostering small-scale quality, the prevailing attitude in Birmingham has been that these can go hang - and I see no evidence that this will change any time soon.

I have deep reservations about The Cube. Some rather fine-grained development of plentiful character was demolished to make way for it, in a city where meaningful character is relatively thin on the ground.

I'll reserve judgment until it's finished, but part of me thinks Birmingham is condemed to make the same mistakes over and over again, in frantic search of the love and admiration from the rest of the country that it so craves and that so stubbornly eludes it.
Bel Ludovic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 10:19 PM   #66
mikey23

Likes (Received): 123

[QUOTE=Bel Ludovic;18049308]Birmingham has long sought to conflate its having the second highest urban population in Britain into an official 'Second City' status, and to that end has developed an obsession with development size - often at the expense of development quality. Care to expand? Examples?

Birmingham's attempts to have the biggest this, tallest that, most whatever, and a host of facilities prefaced with the word 'National', have failed to conclusively settle the issue of which is England's most important city outside London - a long-running debate that is currently hurtling out of Birmingham's favour. Nonetheless the city's endeavours continue.

Combine the above with memories of the brief high Birmingham experienced when Selfridges opened, and you can see that the drug of attention-seeking 'iconic' architecture is going to be a difficult one for the city to give up. It's the 3rd Most photographed Building in the UK, so I wouldnt exactly say it was brief

As for attention to detail, getting non-'iconic' buildings right and fostering small-scale quality, the prevailing attitude in Birmingham has been that these can go hang - and I see no evidence that this will change any time soon. Go check out the Brum development list - i think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I have deep reservations about The CubeI too am slightly concerned with it tbh. Some rather fine-grained development of plentiful character was demolished to make way for it, in a city where meaningful character is relatively thin on the groundDebateable as what is meaningful character?

I'll reserve judgment until it's finished, but part of me thinks Birmingham is condemed to make the same mistakes over and over again, in frantic search of the love and admiration from the rest of the country that it so craves and that so stubbornly eludes it.
Old January 30th, 2008, 12:13 PM   #67
tonkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bel Ludovic View Post
Birmingham has long sought to conflate its having the second highest urban population in Britain into an official 'Second City' status, and to that end has developed an obsession with development size - often at the expense of development quality.

Combine the above with memories of the brief high Birmingham experienced when Selfridges opened, and you can see that the drug of attention-seeking 'iconic' architecture is going to be a difficult one for the city to give up.

As for attention to detail, getting non-'iconic' buildings right and fostering small-scale quality, the prevailing attitude in Birmingham has been that these can go hang - and I see no evidence that this will change any time soon.

I have deep reservations about The Cube. Some rather fine-grained development of plentiful character was demolished to make way for it, in a city where meaningful character is relatively thin on the ground.

London is seeking to build "iconic" architecture too, thats not a critiscm you can limit to birmingam. We dont try to have the "biggest this, tallest that" either because due to height, planning and other restrictions this is more often than not impossible. What we are trying to do is redevelop and rejuvenate the worst parts of our city centre and make it an exciting and interesting place to be, in its own right. Which is what all Englands regional cities are trying to do. Why should we be vilified for wanting something that everyone else wants too?
Old January 30th, 2008, 07:15 PM   #68
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12201

Every generation has a building style that is closely identifiable with that period, and while they are in fashion every generation regards its own style as "iconic". The 60's/70's had International Style architecture... what was considered good design was to plan the function of the building first, and form came later...ie.. the form of the structure would simply reflect the interior use of the building. The 80's brought in Post Modernism, which fancifully played with historical reference, etc... but basically still followed many of the rules of International Style. After the PoMo phase ended, people did start to look aghast at some of the extreme examples that had been built. In my opinion, the late 90's and 2000-2005 will be known for the novelty shapes that architects played with.. in many cases the form of the building was designed first, and the function of the building was fit into whatever space was available. In my opinion this is just a style like any other style, and is probably near the end of its run. Who knows what will be the fashion for architecture in 2010? Fashions go in waves.
Old January 30th, 2008, 11:14 PM   #69
Bel Ludovic

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonkster View Post
London is seeking to build "iconic" architecture too, thats not a critiscm you can limit to birmingam. We dont try to have the "biggest this, tallest that" either because due to height, planning and other restrictions this is more often than not impossible. What we are trying to do is redevelop and rejuvenate the worst parts of our city centre and make it an exciting and interesting place to be, in its own right. Which is what all Englands regional cities are trying to do. Why should we be vilified for wanting something that everyone else wants too?
Indeed... don't start me on London!

Believe it or not, I am a Birmophile - but I despair of the way the city promotes itself ("more miles of canal than Venice", etc.) and the way that those in charge of doing exactly what you said - redevelopment and rejuvenation - keep falling asleep at the wheel, eg the Orion building. Or the National Sea Life Centre - a terrible building waved through because of the 'big name architect' cachet it brought with it. Yes, there are plenty of successful regeneration efforts in Brum - but too many examples of 'redevelopment at any cost'.

And yes, other British cities are just as guilty of the pursuit of iconic architecture. But they seem somehow better than Birmingham at the small stuff, the bits of city in between the 'icons'.
Bel Ludovic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 02:19 PM   #70
Brummyboy92
Birmingham = #1

Likes (Received): 1309

Bad News

The canal wall next to The cube has collapsed on the site, I will give you more information as I get it
Old February 17th, 2008, 04:40 PM   #71
Brummyboy92
Birmingham = #1

Likes (Received): 1309

It was just a joke that is not funny
Old February 17th, 2008, 05:13 PM   #72
Flogging Molly
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Guys, with project threads like this try and post links to the website and media links which show fly throughs. It helps give people a clearer indication of the building then two small images do.

I personally love this building and it has already drawn a huge amount of media locally and nationally.

http://www.thecubeiscoming.com/
Flogging Molly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 01:37 AM   #73
rob_right
In the brig

Likes (Received): 0

Looking very sexy in that flythrough - gives a far better impression than the renders on the first page.

Thankfully New St Station, that huge concrete blot on the landscape which also features has an early appointment booked with the wreckers ball!
rob_right no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 02:52 PM   #74
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Likes (Received): 1537

The day will come when this is building has been finished and most people will not give a fig about the negative comments made about it. It will just be a part of the fabric of the city, with people enjoying their apartments (not me because I am always broke) and the other facilities it offers.

I could well be wrong. As long as this doesn't turn out to be Orion. Buildings like Orion are friggin travestys. How dare they build such awful dross in our city centres.
Old February 18th, 2008, 02:58 PM   #75
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Likes (Received): 1537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bel Ludovic View Post
Indeed... don't start me on London!

Believe it or not, I am a Birmophile - but I despair of the way the city promotes itself ("more miles of canal than Venice", etc.) and the way that those in charge of doing exactly what you said - redevelopment and rejuvenation - keep falling asleep at the wheel, eg the Orion building. Or the National Sea Life Centre - a terrible building waved through because of the 'big name architect' cachet it brought with it. Yes, there are plenty of successful regeneration efforts in Brum - but too many examples of 'redevelopment at any cost'.

And yes, other British cities are just as guilty of the pursuit of iconic architecture. But they seem somehow better than Birmingham at the small stuff, the bits of city in between the 'icons'.
I agree with all of this. I once interviewed a lady from Birmingham Marketing..or whatever it's called now and she came out with so many cliche quotes. More canals than venice....etc etc. Hmm yes because I'd much rather sail the canals of Birmingham than Venice.
Old February 20th, 2008, 10:14 AM   #76
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

I quite like this building - are there any more renders? What is it going to be used for? Retail? Mixed?

There's some real dicks on this thread as well. So you don't like it, so what? Do you really have to make such a big song and dance about it and then stoop so low as to make personal attacks against the people supporting it? You guys must be 8 or 9 years old or something. Grow up and stop acting like immature little arse holes.
Old February 20th, 2008, 10:18 AM   #77
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Dallasbrink, this piece of shite tower that you posted in another thread is faaar uglier than The Cube. You must have absolutely NO taste in design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasbrink View Post
Reunion Tower Dallas

image hosted on flickr

Old February 20th, 2008, 01:46 PM   #78
tonkster

hahaha, well said City thing.

In answer to your question regarding useage, its going to be mixed use - residential, a hotel, retail & leisure, and a top quality restaurant in the crown looking out over the city.

For renders and a fly through video try following the link posted by Flogging Molly earlier on this page.
Old February 29th, 2008, 04:26 AM   #79
Rizzato
Blue Collar

haha
Anyways, I think my post (above) looks too harsh in the context of this thread. I did not notice there were people bad mouthing it, and I didnt mean to add to it.
So just remember, when this is finished I will check it out and I'm one who does not judge things by their renders.
cheers
Old May 30th, 2008, 10:15 PM   #80
Bachy Soletanche
Disco and drugs trade

Likes (Received): 3475

Just a quick update, now (27th May 2008) looks like: