daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure

Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure Shaping space, urbanity and mobility

Old September 13th, 2011, 04:25 PM   #361
WatcherZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda goats View Post
Are the wires higher from the ground in Blackpool, to allow double decker trams to use the line?
If the hight is the same, does that mean you could get double decker trams on any tram network?
Yes, you could also run a double decker tram in Manchester City Centre too as the wires there are higher so double decker buses and lorries can safely pass underneath but outside the on road sections it is lowered to normal rail height and a double decker tram couldnt get under many bridges on the wider network.
WatcherZero no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 15th, 2011, 09:57 PM   #362
BoyamIjealous

Likes (Received): 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackenziesoley View Post
Found a couple of HD video's on Youtube that you guys may enjoy

This video is of them building on of the new Flexity 2 trams

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yexsRSVoQrM

And a few of the new tram running around

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOkrudSFZUU
So a truck load of iron and plastic goes in the back, gets formed, stuck together and painted, and a tram comes out the front/ Superb! Great videos, and a great-looking tram. Boy, am I jealous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpjones1978 View Post
Do you think they`ll ever re-open the fleetwood line?
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipdigby View Post
The Preston and Wyre Railway society want it reopened as a hybrid heritage/branch line service connecting with National Rail services at Poulton. The trackbed and line exist as far as just past the tip at Fleetwood. Beyond that point there is probably room to slot a single track as far as Freeport. Of course the more obvious solution might be string up some 600v catenary and link up with the tram in Fleetwood on street as far as the ferry.

Currently there is some very significant residential development going on around Burn Naze that is going to be reliant on utilising the A585 Amounderness Way (originally designed for half the current traffic) to get off the peninsular. A reinvigorated branch could go some way to alleviating this additional demand. However any non-developer led project is doomed at the moment, as neither Lancs County Council or Wyre Borough Council have the personnel, drive or desire to push through anything of this ilk.

Best regards,
Slip
Don't be so gloomy! One day, someone in the DfT will realise just how many people live on the route of that line. It's passed Grip Stage 1. Presumably, Thornton would need a bridge instead of the level crossing, but nothing that can't be done with the political will. Oh, hang on, I see the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny de Rivative View Post
Ah, good old Blackpool! It looks like it's on the cusp of a new dawn, and good luck to it! We all owe a great debt to the home of "Progress" for holding on to its trams throughout the dark decades. Without it, I would never have had my lifelong fascination from childhood holidays.
One of my favourite buildings of all time was Yates's Wine Lodge, (even through a haze of Bismarck Port in the 1980's!) Please, please build something nice in its place, to restore the architectural balance of Talbot Square . . .

Oh, and please replace the clock in that lovely little art deco building at Little Bispham !!
Hear hear JDR! I remember childhood hols before we moved to Cleveleys, in the same way. And late teenage nights out often began at Yates, or the Yacht Club, as we called it. You could get loaded on Aussie All-Ins dirt cheap, before moving on to Jenkinsons.

Last edited by BoyamIjealous; December 6th, 2011 at 08:48 PM.
BoyamIjealous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011, 04:34 PM   #363
slipdigby

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyamIjealous View Post
Don't be so gloomy! One day, someone in the DfT will realise just how many people live on the route of that line. It's passed Grip Stage 1. Presumably, Thornton would need a bridge instead of the level crossing, but nothing that can't be done with the political will. Oh, hang on, I see the problem.
Alas, the DfT has zero interest in actively reopening local railways. All projects undertaken in the recent past have been pushed forward by local government in one form or another. Considering that Lancs CC's interest in this sort of thing of late has been limited to the developer funded station at Buckshaw Parkway (a site much larger and further down the line in terms of development that Burn Naze), I'm not sure how much impetus there is in terms of getting trains back to Fleetwood.

Also, I'm fairly sure that a lack of political will is not the issue regards building a bridge (why?) at Thornton. The lack of room certainly is however

Best,
Slip
slipdigby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2011, 05:26 PM   #364
BoyamIjealous

Likes (Received): 141

Quote:
Alas, the DfT has zero interest in actively reopening local railways. All projects undertaken in the recent past have been pushed forward by local government in one form or another. Considering that Lancs CC's interest in this sort of thing of late has been limited to the developer funded station at Buckshaw Parkway (a site much larger and further down the line in terms of development that Burn Naze), I'm not sure how much impetus there is in terms of getting trains back to Fleetwood.

Also, I'm fairly sure that a lack of political will is not the issue regards building a bridge (why?) at Thornton. The lack of room certainly is however

Best,
Slip
As to why a bridge, no new or re-opened rail line can have level crossings, so one will have to go over the other. If it still had the barriers, and a few goods trains a year, it would be OK.
BoyamIjealous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2011, 10:59 PM   #365
slipdigby

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyamIjealous View Post
As to why a bridge, no new or re-opened rail line can have level crossings, so one will have to go over the other. If it still had the barriers, and a few goods trains a year, it would be OK.
I'm fairly sure that this is not the case - anecdotal evidence includes the Ebbw Vale line (last freight service 2003, reopened to passengers 2008) features at least one level crossing. Indeed the Ffestiniog's 2011 CTL (Cross Town Link) in Porthmadog is a "new" level crossing in terms of alignment (if not purpose).

I'll drag through the ORR's August '11 Level crossings guide when I get chance.

Best,
Slip
slipdigby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 01:54 PM   #366
Freel07

Likes (Received): 2614

Quote:
I'm fairly sure that this is not the case - anecdotal evidence includes the Ebbw Vale line (last freight service 2003, reopened to passengers 2008) features at least one level crossing. Indeed the Ffestiniog's 2011 CTL (Cross Town Link) in Porthmadog is a "new" level crossing in terms of alignment (if not purpose).

I'll drag through the ORR's August '11 Level crossings guide when I get chance.

Best,
Slip
I'm not sure about re-opened lines but I thought that new level crossings weren't likely to be approved. The Welsh Highland may have got away with it as I think its classed as a light railway.
Freel07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2011, 01:16 AM   #367
Johnny de Rivative
. . . heard it second

Likes (Received): 4759

Here's a few holiday snaps from aday out yesterday. We were hoping to see the new tram under test, but unfortunately there was no sign of it. HOWEVER, one of the drivers told us it was due to be out on Friday 7th, possibly even further North than just the test track between Starr Gate and Pleasure Beach . . .

Old October 5th, 2011, 11:29 AM   #368
martin2345uk
I'd like to get off now.

Likes (Received): 932

Aah... Is it just me or is there something magical about double decker trams that modern ones just can't quite match...?
martin2345uk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2011, 12:46 PM   #369
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 426

Yes you're right Martin. Not at all convinced by the typeface they've chosen for the station signs though.
Old October 5th, 2011, 10:51 PM   #370
mackenziesoley

Likes (Received): 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin2345uk
Aah... Is it just me or is there something magical about double decker trams that modern ones just can't quite match...?
I think Blackpool in general has something special about it. Been too long since I was last up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeds No.1
Yes you're right Martin. Not at all convinced by the typeface they've chosen for the station signs though.
They remind of Southeastern station sign down here (just a lighter blue on the trams). Would have thought they'd have picked purple to match the new trams.
mackenziesoley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2011, 11:14 PM   #371
martin2345uk
I'd like to get off now.

So what's the latest with the Blackpool tramway? How much of it is still to reopen and what are current timescales looking like..?
Old October 9th, 2011, 06:56 PM   #372
Johnny de Rivative
. . . heard it second

Likes (Received): 4759

Hi martin.

At the moment, it is only open between Pleasure Beach <> Little Bispham, but they are also using the Southernmost section, between Pleasure Beach and Starr Gate, as a test track for the new trams.

The whole system will close down for the Winter on 6.11.11, and hopefully re-open fully from Starr Gate <> Fleetwood next April 2012.

I guess this will free up the whole alignment for testing during the Winter months. Marvellous!
Old October 9th, 2011, 07:44 PM   #373
martin2345uk
I'd like to get off now.

Ooh great stuff! Really can't wait to see the new sleek trams mingling with the old double deckers!
Old October 24th, 2011, 11:45 PM   #374
metrogogo

Likes (Received): 388

Anybody know if this bus stop located next to the North Pier is still in use you, can see from this photo how it is disrupting the tram service.
image hosted on flickr

photo taken during the 125 years anniversary celebration September 2010.

Last edited by metrogogo; October 26th, 2011 at 10:21 AM.
metrogogo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2011, 12:43 AM   #375
Zim Flyer
Rock Lord

Likes (Received): 32

Hi metrogogo, the area has been redesigned, so the tram tracks and road have been seperated from each other around the Metropole so a bus stopping there now doesn't intervene with tram movements.
Zim Flyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2011, 01:21 AM   #376
metrogogo

Likes (Received): 388

Thanks Zim, that should solve the problem.

image hosted on flickr

This photo shows how the the bus as pulled up across both tram lines with disruption in both directions.

Last edited by metrogogo; October 26th, 2011 at 10:21 AM.
metrogogo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 02:15 PM   #377
Goldie

Likes (Received): 5

As a South Yorkshire boy, it's great to see that Sheffield Corporation Tramways Roberts car out and about in the first picture above - one of the pleasures of Blackpool that I hope still features after the conversion to light rail's complete.
Goldie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 04:47 PM   #378
russp

Likes (Received): 1

Another tram delivery today during daylight hours this time.

russp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 06:59 PM   #379
martin2345uk
I'd like to get off now.

Fantastic shots there matey!!! Can't wait to take a trip to Blackpool to see these bad boys in action.
Old November 18th, 2011, 11:19 AM   #380
cal_t
Transport Advocate

Likes (Received): 7

How many of the older trams are fitted with the new bus like doors?