daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 28th, 2012, 07:25 AM   #6141
Robosteve

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron2K View Post
It's an R-class road indeed...

Another hint: think of agriculture. And Romans.
Hmm, let's try a wild stab in the dark then. R46 east of Ceres.

Reasons: Position of mountains and the general shape of the road seem to match up with R46 on Google Maps, and also the shadows are in the correct position for late afternoon on a road of that orientation.
Robosteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 28th, 2012, 10:45 AM   #6142
mapman:cz
Ministerský rada

Likes (Received): 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robosteve View Post

Reasons: Position of mountains and the general shape of the road seem to match up with R46 on Google Maps, and also the shadows are in the correct position for late afternoon on a road of that orientation.
And add the fact that Ceres was a goddess of agriculture for ancient Romans and you're perfectly correct, sir!

BTW Langeveldt already posted a new one ...
Old December 28th, 2012, 03:51 PM   #6143
adevahi

Likes (Received): 1067

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post
massive props to anyone who gets this tricky one..

clue, it's one of only about four national highways in its country..

¿National 4 of Rwanda between Ruhengeri and Gisenyi?
adevahi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 04:20 PM   #6144
Robosteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapman:cz View Post
And add the fact that Ceres was a goddess of agriculture for ancient Romans
Ah, interesting. I didn't know that, otherwise it would have been very obvious given the last hint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapman:cz View Post
and you're perfectly correct, sir!

BTW Langeveldt already posted a new one ...
Outside of the rules, though. I'll post another anyway:

I have no idea how difficult people are going to find this one, so hints will be forthcoming if nobody gets it soon.
Old December 28th, 2012, 09:45 PM   #6145
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

Roadmarkings suggest driving on the left side of the road.
Perhaps somewhere in SE Australia ?
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 09:55 PM   #6146
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19398

Could well be true. Unfortunately 2x2 is a far too common cross-section among Australian urban motorways.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 10:53 PM   #6147
Ron2K

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robosteve View Post

You'd be correct.

Sorry about confirming it so late, currently moving so have been offline quite a bit.
Ron2K no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 11:36 PM   #6148
Langeveldt

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by adevahi View Post
¿National 4 of Rwanda between Ruhengeri and Gisenyi?
Afraid not..
Langeveldt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 11:38 PM   #6149
Langeveldt

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswnl View Post

Nope
Clue states its one of only 4 national roads in the country
Langeveldt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 11:41 PM   #6150
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

That was not meant for your pic.
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2012, 07:15 AM   #6151
Robosteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswnl View Post

Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Could well be true. Unfortunately 2x2 is a far too common cross-section among Australian urban motorways.
Fair enough, I tried to take an image near a distinctive-looking intersection.

A hint based on this: The motorway isn't in a major city (I wouldn't really even call it urban), it's part of a national highway and is passing through a large town (hence the motorway standard) here. Note that "national highway" has a very specific meaning on Australian roads, which should narrow it down.
Old December 29th, 2012, 07:18 PM   #6152
Robosteve

Apparently I'm not very good at picking roads that are easily guessed.

Here's another hint that should practically give it away: That highway isn't on the Australian mainland.
Old December 29th, 2012, 07:43 PM   #6153
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Off topic, but I've never gotten a handle on Australian road classifications... Why is this bit written in the past tense: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...ute_Numbering? Do the National Routes no longer exist?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2012, 07:50 PM   #6154
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19398

New South Wales renumbers its roads by January 1, 2013. They will introduce alphanumeric route numbers. (A1, B1, etc).
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2012, 09:16 PM   #6155
Robosteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Off topic, but I've never gotten a handle on Australian road classifications... Why is this bit written in the past tense: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...ute_Numbering? Do the National Routes no longer exist?
Australian route numbering is an utter mess, not least because the Federal government doesn't dictate very much in the way of policy, so each state is free to do things its own way.

Some states are better at numbering than others, but regardless of consistency within each state, policies change when you cross state borders. National routes and national highways were an attempt to unify that, and are now being gradually phased out (as Chris points out) in favour of alpha-numeric numbering -- which once again doesn't have its numbering policy laid out by the Federal government.

Some states (like Victoria) choose M, A, B and C designations by road quality. Others (like New South Wales) choose the letter by the route's significance. Then there's the fact that some state capital cities (like Melbourne) retain some relics of the old numbering scheme (national and state/metropolitan routes inside the city) even once the rest of the state is on alpha-numeric numbering.

Also, Tasmania, Victoria and South Australia converted to alpha-numeric numbering before the National Highway system was obsolete, so they still had to mark the routes as being national highways. So now you have things like the M31 road to the north of Melbourne which has a National Highway shield around it, which will lose that shield when it enters NSW (which is converting to alpha-numeric numbering later and doesn't have to sign the national highway).

Oh, and the alpha-numeric road numbers are being chosen based on the old system where possible, which doesn't always make a great deal of sense. For example, in Sydney you can be driving on the M2, and suddenly you can exit to go onto A2 (formerly Metroad 2) or stay on the same road to be on M7. This is for historical reasons, as Metroad 2 was constructed before the M7, and so what is for all intents and purposes the same road has an abrupt change of number.

Like I said, an utter mess. I envy the US in this regard, with its consistent Interstate route numbers.

But to more directly answer your question, they still exist on road signage but are being phased out over time. I believe New South Wales will be the first state not to sign its National Highways next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
New South Wales renumbers its roads by January 1, 2013. They will introduce alphanumeric route numbers. (A1, B1, etc).
A minor correction, NSW is beginning the transition in early 2013. The target for completion is the end of 2013, not the start.

Last edited by Robosteve; December 29th, 2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old December 30th, 2012, 01:42 AM   #6156
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

btw, who's the next?

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 07:37 AM   #6157
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

Likes (Received): 189

Highway 1 and Eastland Drive (C142), East Ulverstone, Tasmania

Someone else can go with the next picture....

Tasmania is a little different again regarding the route numbering. They were the first state to introduce alphanumeric numbering (during the 1980s I think..) however they have never alpha'd the main highway through the state; it has always been National Highway 1. I don't really think Tasmania needs much route numbering at all , let alone alphanumeric - most of their roads go nowhere.
essendon bombers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 07:46 AM   #6158
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

Likes (Received): 189

imo I don't think Australia needs alphanumeric numbering at all; most of my fellow Australian forumers will disagree with me here though. I think our road network is too simplistic to need one, Australian don't refer to the highways by their numbers anyway; I prefer the American style with shields. I would favour an extended version based on the old national routes (black/white shields) plus most states have state based route network and metroads (blue shields) plus national based tourist route network (brown pentagon)
essendon bombers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 08:23 AM   #6159
Robosteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by essendon bombers View Post
Highway 1 and Eastland Drive (C142), East Ulverstone, Tasmania
Correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by essendon bombers View Post
imo I don't think Australia needs alphanumeric numbering at all; most of my fellow Australian forumers will disagree with me here though. I think our road network is too simplistic to need one, Australian don't refer to the highways by their numbers anyway; I prefer the American style with shields. I would favour an extended version based on the old national routes (black/white shields) plus most states have state based route network and metroads (blue shields) plus national based tourist route network (brown pentagon)
I'm semi-agreed on this point. Fundamentally, I think alphanumeric numbering is a good idea. But the implementation of the alphanumeric system Australia is using is so poor that we were better off with the old one.

Personally, I'd like to see Victoria's method of road numbering (number just about every through route; select M, A, B or C based on road standard and condition) adopted as a national standard. It's a lot more useful when choosing a route to know that an A road is of a high standard and well-maintained (as in Victoria) than to know that it's considered to be of national significance (in NSW).
Old December 31st, 2012, 04:26 PM   #6160
Ron2K

Likes (Received): 17

This one hasn't been guessed yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post
massive props to anyone who gets this tricky one..

clue, it's one of only about four national highways in its country..

Road markings are very South African, so it's probably in one of our neighbouring countries. I'm guessing the A1 in Botswana, specifically the stretch between Lobatse and Gaborone, but I'm probably very wrong...
Ron2K no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways