daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Photography, Heritage and Architecture

Photography, Heritage and Architecture Participate in the FPC, the weekly Filipino Photo Contest

Old September 24th, 2010, 12:18 PM   #601
Mercato
Jeb Bush

Likes (Received): 378

Disclaimer: Well, I am definitely no fan of the Dictatorship, nor to Meldy and Ferdie’s nefarious activities. Howbeit I have to admit that La Imeldific was indeed La Guapa and a patroness of the Arts. Her works or what remains of them are still a legacy to Las Filipinas today. Ferdinand was indeed an enemy to many hispanists who fled overseas. He further cut down the teaching of the Spanish language sometime in 1972. Here is one song for the colourful Imelda done in classic Tango. All for the sake of Art, of course.

Well, the vid contains interesting State visits anyway.

La guapa Imelda

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgJTkTIgtvg

fonsucu | October 05, 2009

Fotografías de Imelda Romuáldez de Marcos, viuda del fallecido dictador filipino Ferdinand Marcos.

Canción: Yira, de Carlos Gardel

LETRA

Cuando la suerte, que es grela,
fallando y fallando
te largue parao....
Cuando estés bien en la vía,
sin rumbo, desesperao...
Cuando no tengas ni fe,
ni yerba de ayer
secándose al sol....
Cuando rajés los tamangos
buscando ese mango
que te haga morfar...
la indiferencia del mundo
que es sordo y es mudo
recién sentirás.

Verás que todo es mentira,
verás que nada es amor...
que al mundo nada le importa
Yira...Yira...
Aunque te quiebre la vida,
aunque te muerda un dolor,
no esperes nunca una ayuda,
ni una mano, ni un favor...

Cuando estén secas las pilas
de todos los timbres
que vos apretás,
buscando un pecho fraterno
para morir abrazao...
Cuando te dejen tirao
después de cinchar,
lo mismo que a mí...
Cuando manyés que a tu lado
se prueban la ropa
que vas a dejar...
¡Te acordarás de este otario
que un día, cansado,
se puso a ladrar!

Mercato no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 24th, 2010, 12:23 PM   #602
Mercato
Jeb Bush

Dahil Sa Iyo

First off, I have to point out that the Mike Velarde here is the musician Velarde who wrote the piece in Commonwealth Era Philippines. He is absolutely not the same person as the preacher guy doing gigs today. If he was, he must have an incredibly long life span equal to those of the Biblical Old Testament forefathers. Not.

This was a personal favourite of La Imelda, without a shadow of a doubt. The song was one of those done in triplicate, Tagalog, English and Spanish. It must be remembered that this was Commonwealth Era Philippines of the 1930s. The great Walled City of Intramuros was still intact before WWII and its many hispanoparlante inhabitants were also patrons of the arts. In fact, many of the old Commonwealth Era commercial advertisements were done en espanyol, like the Coca Cola advertisements published in the forums elsewhere.

This one could also be construed as an early form of a Tag-lish cancion.

"Dahil Sa Iyo" (Because of You) Original English/Tagalog Version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHI2RypmtmI

Scythe214 | November 05, 2008
U.S. Copyright ©1964 Dexter Music Co. - Words and Music by Tom Spinosa and Mike Velarde Jr.

TOM SPINOSA: "The melody of "Dahil Sa Iyo" was originally written by Mike's father in 1936 in the Philippine Islands at the Manila Hotel where we met on one of my voyages to Manila. We were discussing it way back then. I was the orchestra leader on the USS President Lincoln. So I got acquainted with his father very well but it wasn't until 1949 that I actually wrote the English lyrics to it and made the deal with Mike. When I met Mike Jr. at the Jai-Alai night club in Manila in 1946, Mike did not have the song, but when we met again in May of 1949 he told me his father had given the song to him and I wrote the English lyrics to it.

The agreement I had with Mike was that I would take the tune to the U.S. and try to do something with it, whether through my publishing company or someone else's, and if I succeeded placing it we would divide the composers rights between us.

For the last 15 years I've been plugging it by handing out copies to Singers and Orchestra leaders throughout the world. This was possible due to my frequent travels abroad. I have a recording session scheduled on it with Tri-World Records of San Francisco."

2/12/64

Mi vida es un libro [ Dahil sa iyo ]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP_5eExDufg

fonsucu | July 02, 2010
Singer: Guillermo Gómez-Rivera
Song: Solo por ti [Dahil sa iyo].
Author: Miguel Velarde.

LETRA

Mi vida es un libro
en que todo está escrito,
los mil y un sufrimientos
que tanto me atormentan.
Y si hoy estoy a salvo
lo debo a tu cariño
pues solo tu querer
me pudo levantar.

Solo por ti
es muy bella la vida,
solo por ti
yo no quiero morir.
Bien debes de saber
que tú eres el origen
de todo lo que es amor
en mi escondido edén.

Solo por ti
es feliz la existencia,
y es mi ilusión
a tu lado vivir.
Puesto que ya es verdad
esta dulce esclavitud
todo el ritmo de mi canción
solo es por ti.

Last edited by Mercato; September 24th, 2010 at 12:48 PM.
Old September 24th, 2010, 12:29 PM   #603
Mercato
Jeb Bush

Dahil Sa Iyo

DAHIL SA IYO (ORIGINAL VERSION) - Mabuhay Singers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6k_pvOFOgc

philclassic | September 20, 2009

"Dahil sa Iyo" is one of the most popular Kundiman in the Philippines. It was composed by Miguel "Mike" Velarde Jr. in 1937. Rogelio de la Rosa sung it in the 1937 movie "Bituing Marikit". The original Tagalog lyrics were written by Dominador Santiago. Sung by the Mabuhay Singers under the music supervision of Leopoldo Silos. The audio is from a vinyl phonograph played and recorded via USB turntable.

ABOUT THE SONG

Miguel "Mike" Velarde Jr. composed "Dahil Sa Iyo" for the movie "Bituing Marikit", the first full length film by Sampaguita Pictures in 1937 starring Elsa Oria, the "Singing Sweetheart of the Philippines" and Rogelio de la Rosa.

One of the most popular examples of the genre of the Kundiman, this "classic Filipino love song" has been translated in many other languages.

Representing an earlier era remembered in nostalgia, it is one of the most popular songs in Tagalog, and a favorite in the Philippines as well as among Filipino communities abroad.

Its popularity in the Philippines is such that some think it ought to replace the current national anthem, "Lupang Hinirang," and that it should be played as such at a possible future state visit by American president Barack Obama to the Philippines.

"Dahil Sa Iyo" has become a standard on the repertoire of many artists performing Filipino romantic and popular music. Its canonical status as a classic Filipino love song was again confirmed by its inclusion on the 2004 runaway hit compilation album Great Filipino Love Songs.

The song is a personal favorite of Imelda Marcos, the wife of former Filipino President Ferdinand Marcos, who sang it frequently. In 2008 the song was still associated with her in Manila: "Suddenly, the heads of Peninsula Hotel lobby guests swiveled. Imelda Marcos had walked in. Without missing a beat, hotel musicians struck up 'Dahil sa Iyo.'"

Speaking of the song, its own composer, Miguel "Mike" Velarde Jr. relates: "Sometime in 1960 a famous US singer who made a personal appearance in Manila presented me a contract seeking authority to record 'Dahil Sa Iyo' in the States. The five figure offer was fabulous but I turned it down - simply because she wanted to change the title to an American title. I couldn't, and wouldn't sell the identity we are trying hard to establish. The merits of the song is its identity.'"

REFERENCE:

1.WIKIPEDIA

2. Contemporary Filipino Composers by U.P. Prof Helen F. Samson (Manlapaz Publishing Company, 2004)

3. 101 Filipino Icons (Adarna Publishing, 2007)

DISCLAIMER:

The audio presented in this video is not intended for commercial use or profit. Any commercial use may warrant royalties and/or compensation to the original publishers, artists and composers. The copying and distribution of materials posted here for commercial use is strictly prohibited by their original publishers.

Philclassic's Youtube channel is a non-profit resource and it exists strictly for the appreciation, restoration and preservation of vintage, traditional and classical Filipino music.

Maraming Salamat Po!

Sa buhay ko'y labis
Ang hirap at pasakit
Ng pusong umiibig
Mandi'y wala ng langit
At ng lumigaya
Hinango mo sa dusa
Tanging ikaw, sinta
Ang aking pag-asa

Dahil sa `yo nais kong mabuhay
Dahil sa `yo hanggang mamatay
Dapat mong tantuin
Wala ng ibang giliw
Puso ko'y tanungin
Ikaw at ikaw rin
Dahil sa `yo ako'y lumigaya
Pagmamahal ay alayan ka
Kung tunay man ako
Ay alipinin mo
Ang lahat sa buhay ko'y
Dahil sa `yo

Old September 24th, 2010, 12:43 PM   #604
Mercato
Jeb Bush

Dahil Sa Iyo

Other renditions done by Filipino or Foreign Artists…

My personal fave choir … these guys can really sing without any instruments.

2005 UPSA: Strasbourg, FRANCE; Dahil Sa Iyo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddKp6YwLk6I

melvicgcano | March 22, 2007
The University of the Philippines Singing Ambassadors (UPSA)

Alsace, France

Dahil Sa Iyo by Pilita Corrales

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAdQZMI5Yno

joelvanrijn | August 02, 2010

Sung by crooner Julio Iglesias, the husband of Filipina Isabel Preysler and the father of Enrique Iglesias.

JULIO IGLESIAS - 08 DAHIL SA' YO (TAGALOG) 1973

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7Wfe...eature=related

filipepassos83 | June 22, 2009
AUDIO - JULIO IGLESIAS - 08 DAHIL SA' YO (TAGALOG), ALBÚM - ASÍ NACEMOS, 1973

The Lettermen - Dahil Sa Yo (Because of You)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYEGT38F6gI

worship999 | August 10, 2007
One of the most beautiful songs ever written, sung by the Lettermen from the USA.....A Love song from the Philippines...simply enchanting..ah...

Rico J. Puno│Dahil Sa Iyo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U9c_...eature=related

pinoytayo4ever | May 10, 2009
Rico J. Puno

Album © Greatest Hits
Song ® Dahil Sa Iyo

Sung with the American gringo twang…

[Your Charms are Mine(??)]

Jerry Vale - Dahil Sa Iyo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jABPG...eature=related

itscalang | February 09, 2009
From the Greatest Hits Album

Nat "King" Cole Sings "Dahil Sa Yo" (audio only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIXpJZzLMrU

evancortez2 | February 05, 2008
The legendary Nat "King" Cole sings the Filipino standard "Dahil Sa 'Yo"("Because of You") before a very appreciative Filipino audience at the Araneta coliseum in Manila sometime in 1961 or 1962.

A Japanese tribute …

Dahil sa iyo by Tadao Hayashi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39YCw22cSfg

homeboy0102 | March 20, 2008
an intrumental filipino love song classic done by tadao hayashi version which he made a big hits of the late 80's. An everlasting love song recorded by the various international artist too. Enjoy!

A Polish tribute …

Polish-American tenor sings "Dahil Sa Iyo"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJAav...eature=related

dontagala | June 25, 2008
Who would have thought Polish-American tenor Mark Piekarz could sing "Dahil Sa Iyo"... giving Imelda Marcos a run for her money

3 Filipino Tenors in New York sing Dahil Sa Iyo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPNa4kAuXws

21sings | January 17, 2008
Performing at the Snug Harbor Cultural Center as part of the first ever National Asian American Theater Festival representing East West Players. Lito Villareal, Randy Guiaya and Antoine Reynaldo Diel perform Filipino song Dahil Sa Iyo The 3 Filipino tenors are Lito Villareal, Randy Guiaya and Antoine Reynaldo Diel. (order from tallest to shortest) They are all in the United States in Los Angeles but are willing to tour anywhere for a performance. If interested in hiring them they can be reached at 3filipinotenors@gmail.com Thank you for your comments, we appreciate the love and support.

Old September 26th, 2010, 05:39 AM   #605
Linguine
leisure cook

Likes (Received): 3391

All-American choir sings like Pinoys

By Edson C. Tandoc Jr.
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 00:43:00 09/26/2010

Filed Under: Music, Culture (general), Internet, Social networking

COLUMBIA, Missouri—They sashayed, swayed their hips and flashed their sweetest smiles. And they even had the right “p”and “t” sounds.

Filipinos were amazed at how an all-American choir performed the Filipino folk song “Paru-Parong Bukid” with flourish, sounding every bit like Filipino singers.

The video-recorded performance by American college students of Northwest Missouri State University in Maryville has been going around on YouTube and Facebook, shared and reposted by thousands of Filipino viewers.

The young members of the choir Madraliers appeared to be having fun singing an old native song they probably never heard growing up.

The video, which runs for less than three minutes, shows a group of young men in black coats and young women in colorful gowns dancing as they sang “Paru-parong Bukid,” complete with the proper accent and pronunciation.

The Madraliers, composed of mostly music majors in the school, sang the folk song in two concerts in November last year: on campus and at the Liberty United Methodist Church in Liberty, Missouri.

Big YouTube hit

But the video gained popularity among Filipino Internet users only this month.

“When I originally posted the song, I did not know it would become such a big hit,” said Andrew Sanders, one of the choir members.

But another YouTube user reposted the video just early this month—and has gotten close to a 100,000 views since then.

“It just shows the power of music, being able to bring people together,” said Sanders, who has also been getting e-mails praising their performance. “It also shows that the hard work our choir does is appreciated.”

Learning the song was fun, Sanders recalled. “We wanted to get as close to having a correct accent as possible, and since we have had so many comments on how good our diction was, I believe we have achieved that goal.”

Exuberant, refreshing

“I find the style of the music exuberant, refreshing and enjoyable to hear,” said choir conductor Brian Lanier. “I was immediately intrigued by the interesting use of the language, the harmonic structure, and the humor of the text.”

This is the first time that Lanier, an associate professor of the university’s choral music education, taught his choir a song from the Philippines.

Lanier came across the folk song from a collection of pieces he got from a publisher last year, and got a translation of the lyrics.

He got help from the wife of his accompanist Richard Boettner in teaching his choir members the correct way of singing the song. Boettner’s wife Bing is a Filipino who hails from Bacolod City.

“I invited her to come and help me with the language as well as share some insight into the song and its meaning,” Lanier said.

Lanier recorded Bing speaking the lyrics line by line. He rehearsed the song with his choir members for several weeks and when he felt they were ready, he invited Bing back to hear the result.

Bing, a registered nurse, has been living with her husband Richard in Missouri since 1988 after they got married in the Philippines.

Correct dance steps

She grew up knowing the folk song by heart so she also helped in teaching the Madraliers the correct dance steps.

Sanders recalled: “She showed us a lot about the song as far as interpretation goes, with the original dance moves that she learned when she was a little girl singing the song.”

Bing recalled dancing the song as a student in the Philippines.

“Just the mention of the song brought back many pleasant memories of childhood and school days,” Bing said. “I grew up with it. It was also part of our music class.”

Bing focused on teaching the American choir members the Filipino way to pronounce the “p” and “t” sounds. The bigger challenge, however, was how to make the American students sway as gracefully as Filipinos would dance normally and effortlessly.

Hard work

Her hard work paid off: “I listened to them sing during practice and also during one of the performances. They did sound like Filipino singers.”

Those who saw the live performance enjoyed the song, too. Many of those who watched last year’s concert were musicians themselves, but Lanier said they “were very enthusiastic and they enjoyed the actions and the humor in the song.”

Lanier is particularly interested in exploring music from other cultures. He usually includes a song or two from other countries in his choir’s yearly repertoire.

He said: “I believe that through the study of music we can gain insight into the heart and soul of people from other countries.”

So what did “Paru-parong Bukid” tell him about the Filipino culture?

“I think the Philippine people have a wonderful sense of humor,” Lanier said. “They are not afraid to laugh at themselves. They can write beautiful music and appreciate life.”

Link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aCinWb0-ks

Last edited by Linguine; September 26th, 2010 at 05:55 AM.
Linguine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 08:41 AM   #606
hakz2007
Moderador

Likes (Received): 2978

Pandanggo Rinconada
Philippine folk dance from Nabua

Obviously the dance was an offshoot of the Spanish fandango that was introduced to the natives' repertoire of festival dances. The Pandanggo Rinconada derived its name from the sub-region of the Bicolandia where a distinct Bikol dialect is spoken. That subregion comprising the Camarines provinces is called Distrito de Rinconada. the other sub-regions of Bikol are Bikol Estandarte (Naga district), Bikol Albayano, Bikol Catanduanes, Bikol Masbatenyo and the Bikol Sorsogon also called Bisakol due to the heavy Bisayan influence in their language particularly Waray. In fact, some linguists classify the dialect spoken in Gubat, Sorsogan as Waray.

The Pandanggo Rinconada is a staple among the Christmas veladas (evening programs or shows) in Nabua, Camarines Sur.
hakz2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2010, 02:41 PM   #607
Jrommel
BRANNED

Likes (Received): 180

Ang dapat ay Aral, trabaho, ipon pera,saka mag-asawa.Aasenso ka.Garantisado.Natulungan mo pa ekonomiya mo.Tulungan ang sarili, magulang,pamilya at bansa para makaahon sa kahirapan.
Old December 14th, 2010, 06:20 AM   #608
Acer_Cyle
El Latino Zamboangueño

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercato View Post
Zamboanga Hermosa Chorale "Bienvenidos"

Full credits to cutecarl22 | January 27, 2008
Zamboanga night
@
Pagadian City

last September 18,2007

>>>An example of Zamboangueño Song

"Los Filipinos son Hispanos y Latinos"

(http://www.facebook.com/pages/Zamboa...15948905085917)
(http://cbk-zam.wikipedia.org/wiki/) (https://www.facebook.com/groups/Arondayot/)

Last edited by Acer_Cyle; December 14th, 2010 at 10:29 AM.
Acer_Cyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2010, 06:22 AM   #609
Acer_Cyle
El Latino Zamboangueño

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercato View Post
Another popular song is Zamboanga Hermosa which praises the beauty of the women of Zamboanga. The song originated in the pre-war era, but it was only during the later part of the 1930’s when it was made popular by Matias Ranillo, Sr.,(a Dipolognon) Governor of Zamboanga Province. Later, a Cebuano Vod-a-vil show director, Borromeo Lou, popularized it. A Zamboangueño well-known local write and poet in Spanish who wrote the lyrics was Vicente Orendain. The following are the lyrics of Zamboanga Hermosa

ZAMBOANGA HERMOSA

Zamboanga Hermosa, preciosa perlita
Orgullo de Mindanao
Tus bellas dalagas son las que hermosean
Tu deliciosa ciudad

>>>>>>this is "Zamboanga City's Official Hymn"

Flores y amores que adornan tu jardin
Eres la imagen del bello eden;
Zamboanga hermosa, preciosa perlita
Orgullo de Mindanao

A much earlier song, composed during the Spanish regime is Leal y Valiente Villa de Zamboanga.

Zamboanga Hermosa - Major Chords (With Lyrics)

Full credits to BehGerElle14 | November 03, 2009
11th track of Major Chords album. Cancion de La Bella Ciudad de Zamboanga! Asia's Latin City!

Zamboanga hermosa

Full credits to fonsucu | March 13, 2010
Del álbum Nostalgia Filipina II, Zamboanga hermosa ( de la tradición popular zamboangueña).
Canta Guillermo Gómez-Rivera.
Música: Rondalla del maestro Roberto Buena.

LETRA / LYRICS

Zamboanga hermosa,
preciosa perlita,
orgullo de Mindanao.

Tus bellas mujeres
son las que hermosean
tu deliciosa ciudad.

Las flores y amores
que brindas en tu jardín
son dulces recuerdos
de un viejo edén.

Zamboanga hermosa,
preciosa perlita,
orgullo de Mindanao.

>>>this is "Zamboanga City's Official Hymn"

"Los Filipinos son Hispanos y Latinos"

(http://www.facebook.com/pages/Zamboa...15948905085917)
(http://cbk-zam.wikipedia.org/wiki/) (https://www.facebook.com/groups/Arondayot/)
Acer_Cyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 06:39 PM   #610
Mercato
Jeb Bush

KUNDIMAN DE 1850: Jocelynang Baliwag -Pedro Concepcion (Very Rare Vinyl Copy)

Indeed, 'tis haunting and melifluous ... beautiful instrumental, heck it can also make for great lounge music.

KUNDIMAN DE 1850: Jocelynang Baliwag -Pedro Concepcion (Very Rare Vinyl Copy)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhl55Ud9y8

philclassic | August 21, 2010 | 4 likes, 0 dislikes
A favorite among the Tagalog (Bulacan) revolutionaries of 1896, its printed score was found among the papers of Juan Molina, leader of Orquesta Molina. The score bore an inscription: Musica de Legitimo Kundiman Procedente del Campo Insurrecto (Music of the Legitimate Kundiman that Proceeds from the Insurgent's Camp).

Cast in the slow triple time of the traditional Tagalog kundiman, the song has two parts. The melody of the song has been praised for its haunting but melifluous quality.

The first letters of the first words of the six-stanza lyrics spell out the name "Pepita" which refers to Pepita (nickname of Jocelyna) Tiongson, a beautiful Tagalog woman from Baliuag, Bulacan, to whom the song is dedicated. The songs melody is hauntingly sad, revealing an underlying pensiveness, a certain nostalgic vein.

SOURCE OF INFO:
Cultural Center of the Philippines Encyclopedia of Philippine Art Vol IV p. 242

JOCELYNANG BALIWAG
1896, Baliwag, Bulacan
Lyricist and Composer Unknown
Music from "Kundiman de 1850"

P- Pinopoong sinta, niring calolowa
Nacacawangis mo'y mabangong sampaga
Dalisay sa linis, dakila sa ganda
Matimyas na bucal ng madlang ligaya

E- Edeng maligayang kinaloclocan
Ng galak at tuwang catamis-tamisan
Hada cang maningning na ang matunghaya'y
Masamyong bulaclac agad sumisical

P- Pinananaligan niring aking dibdib
Na sa paglalayag sa dagat ng sakit
'Di mo babayaang malunod sa hapis
Sa pagcabagabag co'y icaw ang sasagip

I- Icaw na nga ang lunas sa aking dalita
Tanging magliligtas sa niluha-luha
Bunying binibining sinucuang cusa
Niring catawohang nangayupapa

T- Tanggapin ang aking wagas na pag-ibig
Marubdob na ningas na taglay sa dibdib
Sa buhay na ito'y walang nilalangit
Cung hindi ikaw lamang, ilaw niring isip

A- At sa cawacasa'y ang kapamanhikan
Tumbasan mo yaring pagsintang dalisay
Alalahanin mong cung 'di cahabagan
Iyong lalasunin ang aba cong buhay.

Audio from a vintage 10 inch vinyl phonograph record ( VLP 4008 : "Sunset Music Vol. I, Leopoldo Silos and his Symphonette, featuring Pedro Concepcion, guitar" Villar Records, Mareco Inc.)

-Philclassic's Filipiniana Music Archive
Old January 6th, 2011, 04:46 AM   #611
Mercato
Jeb Bush

Kundiman 1800 - Traditional (arranged by Jose Valdez)

The piece is also Jocelynang Baliuag. A rendition of a classic done in modern contemporary times. I wish I could play the guitar like that. Excellent work by Pasigenyo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a48b_UJ3VJ4

From the vidmaker::
pasigenyo | November 13, 2009
**** COPYRIGHT MATERIAL FROM THE PHILIPPINE GUITAR **** **** NO FREE SHEET MUSIC / TABS ****
Another requested piece by lagrima111552. This is a rush job and I wish I could have done a better job with the baseline. The piece is very typical of the olden kundiman melodies but is still hauntingly beautiful.
Old January 7th, 2011, 03:35 PM   #612
Mercato
Jeb Bush

MEDIANOCHE

I've taken a fancy to string instrumentals recently. Even at times more relaxing than those with vocals ... anyways, I see that the Spirit of the Habanera is very much alive in this excellent one...

Kundiman Art Song: Hatinggabi (Very Rare Copy)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIRu_9PpCN4

philclassic | August 12, 2010

Hatinggabi is one of the most memorable of Filipino kundiman, penned by Prof. Antonio Molina. Audio from a vintage 10 inch vinyl phonograph record ("Kundiman, Love Songs of the Philippines, The Villar Symphonette under the direction of Leopoldo Silos." Villar Records. Undated).

===========

Antonio Molina
1894-1980

Antonio J. Molina was a National Artist of the Philippines. A musical great, he was considered the peer of two other great Filipino musicians Nicanor Abelardo and Francisco Santiago. His talent was prodigious: he was the first violincellist of pre-war times, a composer, conductor, pedagogue, and music administrator.

Molina was born into a musical family Quiapo, Manila on 26 December 1894. His father Juan Molina was an influential government official who also founded the Molina Orchestra. His first formal music lessons was violin and solfeggio under Celestino de Vera, then a member of his father's orchestra.

He attended the Escuela Catolica de Nuestra Padre Jesus Nazareno in Quiapo. He continued high school and college at San Juan De Letran where he obtained abachelor of arts degree in 1909.

Complying with his father's wishes he pursued a Bachelor of Laws initially at the UST. He transferred in his second year of law studies to the Escuela de Derecho de Manila, where he finished his studies. He attained a teacher's diploma in violincello at the UP Conservatory of Music in 1923.

His first composition was "Matinal" in 1912 and it is preserved in an unpublished volume "Miniaturas", Volume I. He did a professional work, as concert soloist, composer, and conductor in Hanoi, French Indochina (now North Vietnam). Back in the Philippines, he was appointed to teach harmony, composition, music history, and violincello at the UP Conservatory of Music]]. He was also the first Filipino composer who was invited to perform his works to Malacañang. From being a consultant in music education at the Bureau of Public Schools, he also became the dean of the Centro Escolar Conservatory of Music. He also founded the first chamber music group, the CEU String Quartet which was professionally organized and financed by its music school.

As a conductor, he lead the first performance in the Philippines of Bach's Christmas Oratorio presented by the combined Knox and Central Church Choirs (1947), as well as the first performance Mozart's opera Don Giovanni, presented by the Manila Little Theater Group at the FEU Auditorium (1950). He is also remembered as the conductor of the first televised choral concert, featuring the Centro Escolar University Conservatory Chorus, over then DZAQ-TV Channel 3 (1953).

As a composer Molina was credited with over 500 compositions, including: o Hatinggabi, among earliest violin selections o Malikmata, piano o Ana Maria, zarzuela o Misa Antoniana Grand Festival Mass o Ang Batingaw, Kundiman- Kundangan; (chamber music) o Kung sa Iyong Gunita, Pandangguhan; (vocal music) o Amihan, Awit ni Maria Clara o Larawan Nitong Pilipinas, among others.

A true pioneer, he was one of the first composers to incorporate pentatonic scales and ethnic instruments such as the kulintang, and gabbang in his symphonies.

Molina influenced many prominent Filipino musicians including Lucresia Kasilag and Felipe de Leon.

He died on 29 January 1980 at age 86 and was honored with a state funeral befitting a Philippine National Artist.

Awards and Distinctions * Diploma of Honor, Manila Music Lovers Society, 1940 * Commemorative medal and diploma, Department of Education, Health and Public Welfare, 1942 * "Choral Conductor of the Year" and "Music Researcher of the Year," Music Lovers Society, 1949 * Honorary doctor of laws, honoris causa, CEU, 1953 * Araw ng Maynila Award in music, 1969 * Phi Kappa Phi Award and the UP Alumni Association Professional Award, 1972 * Republic Cultural Heritage Award, in 1965 and 1972 * National Artist of the Philippines, on 12 June 1973

SOURCE:

Samson, Helen F. Contemporary Filipino Composers. Quezon City: Manlapaz Publishing Company, 1976.

CCP Encyclopedia of Philippine Art Volume 3. Manila: Cultural Center of the Philippines, 1994
Old January 7th, 2011, 03:45 PM   #613
Mercato
Jeb Bush

MEDIANOCHE

Versions of the Medianoche, Hatinggabi...

Hatinggabi by Maestro Jose Valdez

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP2jp961Hm8

dmagagon | October 23, 2010

A great arrangement for solo guitar of an Antonio Molina classic "Hatinggabi" by Maestro Jose Valdez as heard in the cd Philippine Classics by Maestro Jose Valdez.

10-string Guitarist Perfecto De Castro performs Antonio Molina's "Hatinggabi"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68uYJjWT_v0

perfektus | October 13, 2009

Originally written for violin and piano, "Hatinggabi" is one of the Philippines' most beloved compositions by National Artist for Music, Antonio Molina. This version is arranged by Maestro Jose Valdez.

This piece is included in Perfecto's "A Journey through 10 Strings" CD, available on

CDBaby.com: http://cdbaby.com/cd/perfectodecastro

and iTunes: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZ...

Performed on a 2009 Greg Brandt 10-string guitar, recorded on a JVC Everio HD video camera.

Hatinggabi - Antonio Molina Violin and Rondalla

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmGdo9kDj24

nsoliven | October 03, 2009

Philippine Chamber Rondalla with special guest Ms. Leonor Llorin Paliguin plays Antonio Molina's "Hatinggabi" Special Rondalla arrangement by Bayani de Leon.
Old January 9th, 2011, 12:17 PM   #614
Mercato
Jeb Bush

Buhat revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by esagerato View Post
One of my favorites! This song was used as the theme song of one of the five remaining pre war movies, Tunay na Ina (1939). The movie stars Rosario Moreno, Rudy Concepcion and Tita Duran. This is the best version for me, I just the love the duet!

The video clip below also features the little Tita Duran singing "Maawa sa Isang Pulubing Bata."

video posted by SIMON7153
Just saw this next vid today ... only for aficionados of course .... We have seen many photos and videos of Manila and the Philippines from afar, its buildings and parks in the old days ...

Well, if anyone wants to catch a glimpse of Philippine society up close in the late '30s and how they socialized and interacted in parties and soirees, one has to begin in Frame 07:45 ... it is easy to see that their society back then was culturally sophisticated and well groomed.

tunay(1939) 1/7 ... Pls Fast Forward to Frame 07:45 for a nice rendition of Buhat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVOeqGh5Ofw

jotiv69 | October 16, 2010
Old January 10th, 2011, 06:33 PM   #615
Mercato
Jeb Bush

ILI ILI TULOG ANAY

A lovely lullaby sung by a lovely lady... Who could this be?

ili ili Tulog Anay - (version by Pauleen Luna)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NEVv2dcgTQ

TropangPaGoodlookz | January 11, 2009

Ili Ili Tulog Anay - (version by Pauleen Luna) v2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ydnol2vtuE

TropangPaGoodlookz | January 11, 2009
Old January 10th, 2011, 06:38 PM   #616
Mercato
Jeb Bush

ILI ILI TULOG ANAY - A HILIGAYNON LULLABY

3 versions by 3 schools - UST, UP and the University of South Carolina in what seems like an all American cast.

UST Singers Alumni- Ili-Ili Tulog Anay
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGhAsWse8aE

JengLeung | August 05, 2008
Idaho International Choral Festival
July 2008

UPCC 2000 Ili-ili Tulog Anay a Hiligaynon lullaby
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA8r0kzDvlk

flipla | January 28, 2007
University of the Philippines Concert Chorus 2000 in Oslo, Norway
Conductor: Janet Sabas Aracama
Soloists: Analou Austria and Ma. Joy Malaga

Ili-Ili Tulog Anay. Arr. by Priscilla Magdamo (2 of 6)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHc3Yme_kow

EliMartha | April 27, 2010
Second song sung by the University of South Carolina Graduate Vocal Ensemble during the lecture-recital on Philippine Choral Music conducted by Eliezer Yanson Jr. April 22, 2010

Jolilorlyn Quitain, Sarah Abbott, Stephanie Beinlich, sopranos; Ginger Jones, alto
Old January 10th, 2011, 06:45 PM   #617
Mercato
Jeb Bush

Ili-Ili Tulog Anay

fascinating Visayan lullaby.

Ili-Ili Tulog Anay - Traditional (arr. by Jose Valdez)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8SlrYZd9N0

pasigenyo | April 23, 2010
**** COPYRIGHT MATERIAL FROM THE PHILIPPINE GUITAR **** **** NO FREE SHEET MUSIC / TABS ****
I recently counted how many pieces I've played so far in the Philippine Guitar book. With this latest addition, the count stands at 35. I thought I was almost through with the book until I realized there are still 35 more pieces to go!!!!. So I just hit my midpoint milestone and it only took me 3 years to get here. The song from which this piece is based, as I understand from the discussions out there, is an Ilonggo (Visayan) lullaby. I think it's appropriate to post the lyrics here.

Ili, ili, tulog anay
wala diri imo Nanay
kadto tienda, bakal papay
ili, ili, tulog anay

Mata ka na,
tabangan mo
ikarga ang nakompra ko
kay bug-at man singputos ko
tabangan mo ako anay

Ili, ili, tulog anay
wala diri imo Nanay
kadto tienda, bakal papay
ili, ili, tulog anay

Translation:

Hush, hush, sleep little one
your mother is not here,
she went to buy some bread
hush, hush, sleep little one.

You are awake,
come and help
carry the things I bought
because it is heavy
help me little one

Hush, hush, sleep little one
your mother is not here,
she went to buy some bread
hush, hush, sleep little one.

Last edited by Mercato; January 10th, 2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old January 11th, 2011, 03:35 AM   #618
Mercato
Jeb Bush

Ti Ayat Ti Meysa Nga Ubing

An Ilocano Folk song.

Ti Ayat Ti Meysa Nga Ubing
- Traditional (arranged by Jose Valdez)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZDnmO2_EuQ

pasigenyo | November 19, 2009

Ti ayat ti maysa nga ubing,
Nasamsam-it ngem hasmin
Kasla sabong nga apag-ukrad
Iti bulan ti Abril

Ti ayat ti maysa a lakay,
Aglalo no agkabaw,
Napait, napait, napait a makasubkar.

Anansa a tao lelong,
Agsapulka tay balo
A kapadpad ta ubanmo
Ken dayta tuppolmo
Ta bay-am a panunuten
Ti ayat ti maysa nga ubing
Aglalo, aglalo no addan makin-aywanen

Ti ayat ti maysa nga ubing,
Nasamsam-it ngem hasmin
Kasla sabong nga apag-ukrad
Iti bulan ti Abril.

Ti ayat ti maysa a lakay,
Aglalo no agkabaw,
Napait, napait, napait a makasubkar.

Anansa a tao lelong,
Agsapulka tay balo
A kapadpad ta ubanmo
Ken dayta tuppolmo
Ta bay-am a panunuten
Ti ayat ti maysa nga ubing
Old January 11th, 2011, 08:25 AM   #619
Mercato
Jeb Bush

GAANO KO IKAW KAMAHAL

Or translated into English would almost seem like a Shakespearean "How Much Do I Love Thee"

The amazing thing is that Katrina is playing the piece in an L.A. mall.

KATRINA PLAYS FILIPINO MUSIC GAANO KO IKAW KAMAHAL ON THE PIANO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAhwU4W90_M

katrinasaroyan | September 04, 2008
http://www.katrinasaroyan.com/
Los Angeles based Harpist/Pianist Katrina Saroyan plays filipino music on the piano.

Jonathan Badon’s version. Actually from what I gather, the song’s lyrics were written by Levi Celerio.

GAANO KO IKAW KAMAHAL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se9i_qcoOAc

thresholdthrong | September 30, 2007
A Filipino immortal love song composed by E. Cuenco

Levi Celerio lyrics:

Ikaw lamang ang aking iibigin magpakailanman
Ang pag-ibig ko sa iyo ay tunay
Nais ko sanang patunayan
Huwag ka nang mag-alinlangan
Ang pag-ibig ko'y hindi kukupas
Tulad din ng umagang may pag-asang sumisikat

Ang ating buhay maikli aking Hirang
Kung kaya kailangan ang pagsuyong wagas kailanman
Ang sumpa ko sa iyo ay asahan

Ang pag-ibig ko'y hindi kukupas
Tulad din ng umagang may pag-asang sumisikat
Ang ating buhay maikli aking Hirang
Kung kaya kailangan
Ang pagsuyong wagas kailanman
Ang sumpa ko sa Iyo'y asahan
Ang sumpa ko sa iyo'y asahan

Last edited by Mercato; January 12th, 2011 at 05:46 AM.
Old January 11th, 2011, 08:30 AM   #620
Mercato
Jeb Bush

GAANO KO IKAW KAMAHAL

On the Guitars.

Gaano Ko Ikaw Kamahal - E. Cuenco (arr. by Jose Valdez)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQj598vap_I

pasigenyo | April 03, 2009
**** COPYRIGHT MATERIAL FROM THE PHILIPPINE GUITAR ****
**** NO FREE SHEET MUSIC / TABS ****
Composed by E. Cuenco...arranged for guitar by J. Velez...played crappily by me..from The Philippine Guitar book.

Amazing Cool Kid.

Gaano Ko Ikaw Kamahal (Acoustic Version)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0Bp5nwOLXA

deryk2784 | December 15, 2008
This is one of my all-time favorite Filipino classic love songs.

I've tried taking on a more chill-out approach to it to practice my guitar-playing, and also because I most definitely do *NOT* have the voice to sing it the way it was originally sung.

I'm not as cool as the real Filipino singers of way back when.