daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 23rd, 2008, 06:13 PM   #1
VelesHomais

Likes (Received): 5031

Boston | January 2008 | Part 2

New Haven (Yale University) http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=573112

Hartford http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=573121

Boston Part 1 http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=573186

image hosted on flickr

Back on the ground from the observation deck.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

This is a skybridge that you've seen on the pics from the 50th floor, it connects the whole Prudential complex to a nearby building, a hotel, I think.
image hosted on flickr

This is it
image hosted on flickr

You can see where the observation deck was
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Copley square. Looks kind of like Venice here.
image hosted on flickr

Trinity Church
image hosted on flickr

Trinity and the tallest skyscraper in the city, build in mid 1970's (looks more modern)
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Boston. Apparently during the mid 19th century. You see Charlestown on the right, downtown Boston in the center, the central Park (Commons Park) above it and the area shown in these pics is above that park a couple of blocks up.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Went down to see what their subway looks like, but it turned out to be an underground tram system. Surprisingly it wasn't as clean as I thought. Slightly better than in NY, but worse than in Washington.
image hosted on flickr

To be continued

Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2008, 06:53 PM   #2
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12284

Please do continue! The pix are great!
Old January 23rd, 2008, 07:01 PM   #3
ChunkyMonkey

Likes (Received): 0

Great pics. BTW, the Boston subway system is the oldest in the U.S. so that's why it looks like it is from the 1800s
ChunkyMonkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 07:02 PM   #4
Ursyn

Likes (Received): 9

I haven't been to USA but Boston seems to be the most charming US city from my point of view.

Burislav, I can't wait to see more of your photos.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 07:15 PM   #5
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12284

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkyMonkey View Post
Great pics. BTW, the Boston subway system is the oldest in the U.S. so that's why it looks like it is from the 1800s
Yes! The first line was begun only about 30 years after the first underground in the world, which was London.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 07:33 PM   #6
VelesHomais

Thanks everyone, the next set of pictures will be coming up shortly (I need to resize, rotate and upload them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursyn View Post
I haven't been to USA but Boston seems to be the most charming US city from my point of view.

Burislav, I can't wait to see more of your photos.
Philadelphia is very nice as well, I went there two weeks ago, you can check out my thread on it here
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=567552 but be warned, there are hundreds of pictures in one thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkyMonkey View Post
I didn't know that, thanks, it looked fairly modern to me. Did they always use trams there?
Old January 23rd, 2008, 07:56 PM   #7
VelesHomais

I'll throw in the next set in this thread

I went inside this Church and they had a karaoke prayer singing there.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Trinity Church from the back
image hosted on flickr

We're in the downtown now. This building on the right is the Old State House, built in 1713. Very historical place for America. In front of it the infamous Boston Massacre occurred which started the war for Independence, and on its balcony the declaration of Independence was announced to the residents of Boston.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The central park (Common Park) and the State House visible in the back.
image hosted on flickr

Newest skyscraper of the city visible in the background
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The Massachusetts State House built in 1795.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

It was expanded from the original by adding wings to it on the sides.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

This is the State House from the back
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Impressive density everywhere in the downtown.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The area is a radical mix of structures from 1600's and 20th century skyscrapers
image hosted on flickr

1600's graveyard
image hosted on flickr

Boston city hall looks kind of like the FBI building in Washington
image hosted on flickr
Old January 23rd, 2008, 08:42 PM   #8
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Likes (Received): 7

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts about Boston and Philly- you've been to both very recently- you're not from the US originially....would be interesting because people in Philly can sometimes sound like they don't think their city matches up with Boston, NYC and DC- and while that might've been true in the past, I'm not so sure recent developements in Philadelphia haven't closed the gap a bit.
Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 09:09 PM   #9
VelesHomais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billpa View Post
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts about Boston and Philly- you've been to both very recently- you're not from the US originially....would be interesting because people in Philly can sometimes sound like they don't think their city matches up with Boston, NYC and DC- and while that might've been true in the past, I'm not so sure recent developements in Philadelphia haven't closed the gap a bit.
They're all very different. Each city has it's own advantage over the others, but Philadelphia is most certainly in the same category as Boston, perhaps even slightly above it.

Washington wins hands down in terms of monumental architecture. There's nothing to match it anywhere in the world, each building around "the Mall" and on Pennsylvania avenue would be a primary architectural attraction in most cities in the world. The museums are also top notch. However it looks more like a city I would visit but not want to live in.

Philadelphia has very distinct three central areas. The Old City, the Benjamin Frankling Parkway and the financial downtown. All three feel like different cities, thus Philadelphia win with its diversity. Also the tiny, residential, historical alleys are unmatched anywhere else in the U.S. to my knowledge. The business downtown is rapidly expanding and as such is more impressive than Bostons. In fact it feels like part of Manhattan taken out of it. Although its unfortunate that Philly doesn't have an observation deck on one of the towers for the public like NY and Boston have.

Boston is unique in that it combines both skyscrapers, modern architecture with its historical heritage. In Europe one usually don't find these together, but in my opinion this is the way to do it. Buildings from 1600's next to modern skyscrapers create an interesting atmosphere. The historical heritage of Boston is more impressive than that of Philadelphia, but it's skyscrapers are outdated, the tallest one dating back to 1960's, while Philadelphia has just finished an incredible Comcast tower. However, Boston appears to be a wealthier city with better education opportunities. The fact that everything is combined in the downtown, the commercial, the business and the historical, it creates a very vibrant environment. However, Philadelphia has more of a big-city feel, especially around the City Hall area, where it looks like it could easily be a capital of the country (which it was).
Old January 23rd, 2008, 09:20 PM   #10
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Likes (Received): 7

Thanks. It's wonderful to hear that- the Philly native (which I'm not) spends too much time putting his or her city down (at least that's my observation) without realizing how far the town has come.
I agree with your Boston comments, in fact, I've always thought Trinity church with the Hancock in the background provides one of the greatest old/new contrasts you'd ever find.
Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 12:55 AM   #11
bosman

Nice shots, Burislav, hope you enjoyed your stay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burislav
Went down to see what their subway looks like, but it turned out to be an underground tram system.
BTW, the station you went into is on the Green Line, which is the only subway line that looks like a tram (since once it gets west of the downtown core, it goes above ground and spreads out into multiple lines). However, the other lines (Red, Orange, Blue) are like regular subway trains.
bosman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 01:02 AM   #12
VelesHomais

I did enjoy it and thanks for the information. There will be more pictures later.
Old January 24th, 2008, 03:24 AM   #13
shurik

Location: Columbus, OH; Washington DC, USA / Yekaterinburg, Russia
Likes (Received): 8

why would you prefer to be visiting DC, rather then to live here? No adversity in this question, I am just curious, as I myself did not have a chance yet to spend much time in other Eastern Coast cities.
shurik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 03:38 AM   #14
VelesHomais

Quote:
Originally Posted by shurik View Post
why would you prefer to be visiting DC, rather then to live here? No adversity in this question, I am just curious, as I myself did not have a chance yet to spend much time in other Eastern Coast cities.
Because it didn't look as vibrant and active in terms of life for the locals as Philadelphia, New York and Boston. However, I didn't really have a lot of time to look at the residential districts of Washington, just the governmental center, which is highly impressive, but I doubt many people live there besides the Bush family. I might be wrong though. But I must note that out of all the cities on the American East Coat that I visited, the residents of DC were most friendly and helpful (many people offered help in getting around just because I may have looked a bit puzzled).

Plus it doesn't have skyscrapers.
Old January 29th, 2008, 07:39 AM   #15
Smily

Hmmm...you should come back in 5 years from now cause there are going to be a few new skyscrapers finished by that time. They are in extreme early building stages, there is even one that is going to be 1000 ft tall. The new buildings are for sure going to change the look of Boston. I wonder if you saw the big dig and if it was any good?

Also you said that Boston gave a feeling that it was small, well that is exactly what it is that. Currently its 1/6th of New York, 2/3 of DC, and 1/7th of Phili. Parts of Boston are also inhabitable those being the Islands in the Boston Harbor. So Boston for those reason does not have the ability to build things in the open. However there might be a day somewhere in the distance if they start absorbing cities.

Last edited by Smily; January 29th, 2008 at 07:49 AM.
Smily no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2009, 05:08 PM   #16
palermodude

boston = very expensive
detroit = very cheap

are they in balance?
overvalued or undervalued

let's build a new city
palermodude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 06:06 AM   #17
Parisian Girl
MONACO _ Côte d'Azur

Likes (Received): 2829

Nice city, always liked the vibe in Boston. A lot of very interesting history here also.
Old April 5th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #18
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244730

Awesome shots of Boston please more
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote