daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South East Asia > Singapore Skyscraper Forum > The Urban Fabric > Transport / Infrastructure

Old November 7th, 2013, 05:13 AM   #3701
luacs1998

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddes View Post
Wow, that is as nice as a public toilet.
I've got to agree with you, especially the tiling and the bluish walls. Raises the typical impression of a public toilet.

Sponsored Links

Old November 7th, 2013, 05:14 AM   #3702
circleline4
Whoop

Likes (Received): 41

Next 4 contracts to be awarded by this year. Let's see how many gets nailed correctly hehe.

T202 - Penta Ocean
T208 - Daewoo
T212 - Ssangyong
T217 - Sinohydro
Old November 7th, 2013, 05:35 PM   #3703
leonardot

Likes (Received): 17

The earlier design was better..
Old November 8th, 2013, 01:20 AM   #3704
deskoh91
Land Transport Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 30

this is an alternative (read: cheaper) bid offered by the contractor. they could have cut back on the ID to achieve that price.
deskoh91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2013, 06:45 AM   #3705
eX.A.K.R.

Likes (Received): 7

Blue and white, with green floor tiling? Seriously? Not only do I agree with the public toilet impressions, but it looks horribly utilitarian and sterile. Swap out all the blues and greens with white, and instead of baby blue everywhere go for restrained deep blue highlights, and it might be more acceptable.

This is what happens when you have dead-brained corporate cubicle farm animals design things with concern only for the lowest common denominator (read: caring only about using the least amount of money possible).

andrewortigas liked this post
eX.A.K.R. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2013, 07:01 AM   #3706
leonardot

Or how about giving it a "woody" kind of design? A mix of light and dark brown shades for the walls and floors might be nice too, especially if it were to be named as "Woodgrove" station eventually.
Old November 8th, 2013, 07:49 AM   #3707
ddes

Likes (Received): 185

I don't have a problem with the design per se, but rather the color combinations as several have pointed out. Maybe I'm too traditional Chinese in thinking, but it looks very grim, cold and unfeeling (almost like a military bunker) and it's not somewhere I want to be in for a long time. A greater contrast of the existing colors could come a long way in making the design a little more inviting.
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2013, 04:11 PM   #3708
Madrenergic

Likes (Received): 21

I don't see the aesthetics behind the walls. They could have just gone for something simple and modern with vertical (wood-coloured?) panels rather than the strange diamond-shaped affair, and I truly hope those floor tiles have simply been poorly rendered rather than a true representation of what's going to be laid down.

I've always found most station designs acceptable, but this is one of the few that I actually dislike.

But of course, I'm just another nameless internet user speaking...
Madrenergic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2013, 12:26 AM   #3709
y2koh

Likes (Received): 79

Agreed, they could have gone for cheaper and simple materials. I don't mind that they have gone for CCL4-5-ish simplicity and a plain design.
y2koh está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2013, 10:44 AM   #3710
mrtfreak

Likes (Received): 40

T208 and T212 awarded today

Quote:
Here are some updates on the Thomson Line (TSL)! We’ve awarded two more civil contracts T208 and T212 for two TSL stations – Springleaf (T208) and Upper Thomson (T212). The contracts are awarded to Leighton Contractors (Asia) Limited (Singapore Branch) – John Holland Pty Ltd Joint Venture (JV) and Sato Kogyo (S) Pte. Ltd respectively. Construction works at these two stations are expected to start by the first quarter of 2014 and scheduled to complete by 2020.

So who will benefit from these two stations? When completed, these 2 stations will benefit commuters working and residing in the Woodlands and Thomson area. You’ll be glad to know that both stations will connect the northern and central parts of Singapore through North-South Line’s Woodlands interchange, Circle Line’s Caldecott interchange and Downtown Line’s Stevens interchange. This means more convenience and connectivity, and shorter travel time for commuters! Yay!

Here’s a sneak peak of the artist’s impression of Springleaf and Upper Thomson station.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1460227_558019640934943_1339701123_n.jpg

Springleaf interior

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...79279647_n.jpg

Springleaf entrance

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...97430075_n.jpg

Upper Thomson interior

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...64117739_n.png

Upper Thomson Entrance
With regards to previous award and why there were only renders for T203 Woodlands interchange, T209 Lentor and T210 Mayflower are design & build contracts where the contractor will issue a design (like DTL2).

DTL Construction
TSL Construction
ERL Construction
CCL6 Construction

Search Google Translate for "Death" in Czech. :lol:
mrtfreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2013, 07:38 AM   #3711
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 22

I think the colour schemes for MRT stations need to be better. I personally feel the colour scheme for CCL stations like BV and HV could be better, colour tone wise. Especially major stations like Botanic Gardens should at least reflect better the context of the area above. Example, having nature inspire motifs for Botanic Gardens.

Good to have distinct decoration for every station, not just some stations so people do not miss their stop.
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 09:07 AM   #3712
circleline4
Whoop

Likes (Received): 41

6 bidders for the electric trains under T251.

http://app.lta.gov.sg/data/apps/tend...1_Sch_Tech.pdf
Old November 19th, 2013, 11:00 AM   #3713
eX.A.K.R.

Anyone checked the web sites of companies who submitted tenders to see if anything new for Singapore has popped up yet?
Old November 19th, 2013, 01:23 PM   #3714
ddes

Quote:
Originally Posted by circleline4 View Post
6 bidders for the electric trains under T251.

http://app.lta.gov.sg/data/apps/tend...1_Sch_Tech.pdf
Thanks for this, circleline4.

I'm a tad surprised CSR, CNR and the other Chinese subway rolling stock companies aren't going solo with a bid in Singapore. After all, CSR (or CNR) is now the world's largest rolling stock manufacturer, and have a good global reputation with many cities around the world.

Who should win? I think CAF and Rotem should be given a chance, especially since they've been bidding recently but haven't won anything. In my experience, CAF and Rotem really do well in terms of reducing cabin noise.

Who will really win? Bombardier.
Old November 19th, 2013, 02:04 PM   #3715
samuel_1991

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:

I'm a tad surprised CSR, CNR and the other Chinese subway rolling stock companies aren't going solo with a bid in Singapore. After all, CSR (or CNR) is now the world's largest rolling stock manufacturer, and have a good global reputation with many cities around the world.

Who should win? I think CAF and Rotem should be given a chance, especially since they've been bidding recently but haven't won anything. In my experience, CAF and Rotem really do well in terms of reducing cabin noise.

Who will really win? Bombardier.
I think Rotem will win the bid because Bombardier has already awarded the DTL.

Rotem only got a rather small package to do the refurbishment of C151 and not a real new rolling stock.

As for CAF, who is it as the S.A refers to South America like Argentina where SMRT do involve their business there or South Africa?
samuel_1991 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 04:02 PM   #3716
ddes

The S.A. in Construcciones y Auxiliar de Ferocarilles S.A. is sociedad anonima, which is the Spanish equivalent of Inc. or Ltd.

The name of the company is rather unimaginative once you translate it. Lol. Construction and Auxiliary of Railways Limited.
Old November 19th, 2013, 04:11 PM   #3717
eX.A.K.R.

I'm kinda hoping the tender will go to Kawasaki; their trains have proved to be very hardy in Singapore over the years.

Though I don't mind having something fresh and letting CAF or Hyundai win it. Then again, I'm not sure if LTA wants to go with someone untested for local conditions. Hyundai only has experience with refurbishing the Kawasaki trains, and while the refurbishment was generally ok, there had been a few issues here and there.

I don't have a good impression of Siemens thanks to the C651, and I reserve judgement for Bombardier until I see how Downtown Line runs. I don't have positive views of these two companies.

No, seriously, no more Alstom please. I'm getting tired of their trains on all the new lines and them winning tenders for other rail projects left and right. Come back when they manage to secure tenders to make trains for the North-South and East-West Lines - that is the only circumstance where I want to see them win in order to see how they will manage it.

Quote:

The issue I think is quality. Singapore has very high quality standards, and as it has been seen with the C151A, even though it was Japanese-designed with some components built in Japan as well it suffered from quality issues and had to be pulled from the North-South Line over fears its additional weight might cause the third rail to collapse. Until Chinese companies completely catch up with their European or Japanese counterparts, I doubt these Chinese companies will tender alone for Singaporean projects. In addition, anything from China is still viewed with suspicion here in Singapore, so both the Chinese company and LTA risk a backlash if they decide to allow a Chinese company to design and build a train from the ground up for us; the backlash will be of uncontrollable proportions if perceptions of inferior quality are proven right when the trains start running. Already I fear something like this might happen when the Downtown line opens and issues start cropping up with the made-in-China Bombardier trains.

Last edited by eX.A.K.R.; November 19th, 2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old November 20th, 2013, 02:05 PM   #3718
leonardot

Hmm.. Something interesting from URA Draft Masterplan 2013...

Stevens TSL station

http://www.ura.gov.sg/MS/DMP2013/reg...0Interior.ashx

Havelock TSL station
]
http://www.ura.gov.sg/MS/DMP2013/reg...0Entrance.ashx
Old November 20th, 2013, 02:57 PM   #3719
ddes

Exakr:

Although you do present some valid points, there's an overall bias. Firstly, among the general populace, there's generally little to no awareness about rolling stock manufacturers. Just because interest groups like SGT and SSC talk about it, it doesn't mean it's a big deal to anybody else. Even down to our everyday items, almost everything's made in China but I don't see anybody fussing about it.

Regarding the C151As, it's easy to allow stereotypes and suspicions about Chinese manufacturing to directly pinpoint the blame on the Chinese. Ultimately, it was "designed" in Japan and weight miscalculations is most certainly a "design" problem, not a "assembly" issue. The trains are ultimately branded Kawasaki trains, and therefore it's Kawasaki's to take responsibility over assembly and handover to Singapore.
Old November 20th, 2013, 03:58 PM   #3720
samuel_1991

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
The S.A. in Construcciones y Auxiliar de Ferocarilles S.A. is sociedad anonima, which is the Spanish equivalent of Inc. or Ltd.

The name of the company is rather unimaginative once you translate it. Lol. Construction and Auxiliary of Railways Limited.
Good point to mention CAF is a Spanish company.

I believed that buying military / airplane and even trains are also subjected to political issue as well.

Hence, now I am more convinced that eventually CAF will win this deal so that to provide job opportunities to the troubled Spain in terms of the debt issue.

Anyway, Austrian and Korean firm from DTL tenders still collapsed despite their country are not known to have the big debt issue but since Singapore is known to generously giving fiscal aid package to troubled country, I see no issue to buy trains from Spain instead at a "cheaper" rate.

A win-win situation.
samuel_1991 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
mrt