daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old February 24th, 2013, 11:20 PM   #201
PhirgataZFs1694
Registered User
 
PhirgataZFs1694's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sofia
Posts: 6,472
Likes (Received): 1560

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofianec77 View Post
So what's going on with the new Sofia - Vidin rail line at 160/200 km/h?
Current information is that the realization of the projects would begin with few sections in the valley closer to the Romanian border in the next financial period 2014-2020.
PhirgataZFs1694 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 21st, 2013, 04:57 PM   #202
PhirgataZFs1694
Registered User
 
PhirgataZFs1694's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sofia
Posts: 6,472
Likes (Received): 1560

Svilengrad - BG/TR border railway upgrade for speeds 160/200kmh openned on May 9.

Pictures of Dimitrovgrad-Simeonovgrad(part of Dimitrovgrad-Svilengrad project) upgrade to 160/200kmh:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince_1988 View Post
Здравейте, прилагам малко снимков материал от междугарието Димитровград-Симеоновград
[IMG] [/IMG]
PhirgataZFs1694 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 08:26 PM   #203
Sunfuns
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 2,426
Likes (Received): 361

What immediate effect (if any) will it have on travel times?
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 09:09 PM   #204
SAS 16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Madrid Spain European Union
Posts: 283
Likes (Received): 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhirgataZFs1694 View Post
Svilengrad - BG/TR border railway upgrade for speeds 160/200kmh openned on May 9.

Pictures of Dimitrovgrad-Simeonovgrad(part of Dimitrovgrad-Svilengrad project) upgrade to 160/200kmh:

Will it be double tracked?
SAS 16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 11:17 PM   #205
PhirgataZFs1694
Registered User
 
PhirgataZFs1694's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sofia
Posts: 6,472
Likes (Received): 1560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
What immediate effect (if any) will it have on travel times?
Plovdiv - TR border - immense; it will double(at least) travelling times*
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS 16 View Post
Will it be double tracked?
Plovdiv - Dimitrovgrad - mostly single tracked
Dimitrovgrad - TR border - only single tracked

Speed map for Bulgaria for 2013/2014:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanashubav View Post
Карта на допустимите максимални скорости по ж.п. мрежата в България съгласно ГДВ 2013/2014г.:


Легенда:
Скорости километра в час
До 50
От 50 до 60
От 60 до 70
От 70 до 80
От 80 до 90
От 90 до 100
От 100 до 110
От 110 до 120
От 120 до 130
От 130 до 160


Логиката на цветовете е, че колкото е по-студен толкова е по-висока скоростта и обратно.
*Edit: reduce twice travelling times

Last edited by PhirgataZFs1694; May 22nd, 2013 at 12:23 AM.
PhirgataZFs1694 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2013, 12:07 AM   #206
Theijs
Registered User
 
Theijs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 418
Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhirgataZFs1694 View Post
Plovdiv - TR border - immense; it will double(at least) travelling times
Double or save travelling time?
Are there any draft timetables in which the travelling time is reduced on refurbished tracks?
Theijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2013, 12:22 AM   #207
PhirgataZFs1694
Registered User
 
PhirgataZFs1694's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sofia
Posts: 6,472
Likes (Received): 1560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theijs View Post
Double or save travelling time?
Are there any draft timetables in which the travelling time is reduced on refurbished tracks?
1. Reduce travelling times of course.
2. Yes.
PhirgataZFs1694 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2013, 01:05 AM   #208
Theijs
Registered User
 
Theijs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 418
Likes (Received): 133

Any chance that time reducing timetables will be introduced by BDZ at the start of the summer, or do we need to wait until December 2013?
Theijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2013, 02:19 PM   #209
Robi_damian
Registered User
 
Robi_damian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Timisoara
Posts: 2,757
Likes (Received): 9997

Isn't this Plovdiv - Dimitrovgrad - Svilengrad segment in the works for like 5 years?
__________________

JloKyM liked this post
Robi_damian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2013, 09:56 PM   #210
PhirgataZFs1694
Registered User
 
PhirgataZFs1694's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sofia
Posts: 6,472
Likes (Received): 1560

Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theijs View Post
Any chance that time reducing timetables will be introduced by BDZ at the start of the summer, or do we need to wait until December 2013?
No, chance at all beacause work on Dimitrovgrad(station including) - Svilengrad(station including) upgrade to 160/200 is preventing it(rails removed and line realigned to accomodate higher speeds).
PhirgataZFs1694 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 12:57 AM   #211
PhirgataZFs1694
Registered User
 
PhirgataZFs1694's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sofia
Posts: 6,472
Likes (Received): 1560

Progress on legendary Struma motorway[A3] lot 4 Sandanski - greek border:
Quote:
Originally Posted by REAKT0R View Post
Вижда се, че днес е било слънчево на лот1. Жалко, че не беше вчера така, иначе сега нямаше да качвам само лот4.

The small parallel section in the middle on the right is a new alignment of Sofia - Athens railway that will allow a speed of 160/200kmh.
PhirgataZFs1694 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 11:59 PM   #212
PhirgataZFs1694
Registered User
 
PhirgataZFs1694's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sofia
Posts: 6,472
Likes (Received): 1560

Tomorrow is an exceptional day - the second rail&road bridge Calafat - Vidin between Romania and Bulgaria is opened. I cannot put it into words how important and expected is this bridge in Europe, the region and especially in Bulgaria.

I want to thank all people that helped and supported the bridge realization and provided footage(muchas gracias FCC) and information. Huge thanks to the financing institutions(EU, EIB, KfW, AFD), constructor(FCC) and governments of Romania and Bulgaria.

Wish you joy, prosperity, health and motorways to the bridge on both sides!








PhirgataZFs1694 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 02:51 AM   #213
SAS 16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Madrid Spain European Union
Posts: 283
Likes (Received): 160


which is the quality of the conection by railway on both sides?
SAS 16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 09:10 AM   #214
Robi_damian
Registered User
 
Robi_damian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Timisoara
Posts: 2,757
Likes (Received): 9997

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS 16 View Post

which is the quality of the conection by railway on both sides?
Poor! Especially on the Romanian side. The regions on both sides are poor and underpopulated (2 times more people die than are being born in Vidin, fe) and the line has little passenger potential IMO. It might be used for freight.
Robi_damian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 10:01 AM   #215
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande
 
TedStriker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: London
Posts: 2,517
Likes (Received): 385



Hence why it's just a single track I guess.
TedStriker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 12:08 PM   #216
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu
 
Baron Hirsch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Berlin/Istanbul
Posts: 1,337
Likes (Received): 475

The bridge would have potential if it would really become part of a TEN corridor (Sofia-Timisoara-Budapest). However no development to that end has yet taken place. As shown by Tanushubav's map above, the average max. speed of trains Sofia-Vidin is ca. 70 kmh. On the Romanian side, Calfat-Craiova is even worse. In this situation it is not suited for competition even to the already rather lousy route Sofia-Nis-Budapest. For it to develop TEN standards, we will have to wait until the new route Sofia-Vidin is built (ca. 2020?). Even then, the route will not make much sense if the Romanian side does nto build a diretissimo Calafat-Turnu Severin-Timisoara, which would primarily serve transit and is therefore not really in the interest of the Romanian tax-payers.
For the moment, it seems only 1 passenger train daily across the bridge per direction is planned, which is more to de jure say it is in service.
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 04:15 PM   #217
PhirgataZFs1694
Registered User
 
PhirgataZFs1694's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sofia
Posts: 6,472
Likes (Received): 1560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Hirsch View Post
The bridge would have potential if it would really become part of a TEN corridor (Sofia-Timisoara-Budapest). However no development to that end has yet taken place. As shown by Tanushubav's map above, the average max. speed of trains Sofia-Vidin is ca. 70 kmh. On the Romanian side, Calfat-Craiova is even worse. In this situation it is not suited for competition even to the already rather lousy route Sofia-Nis-Budapest. For it to develop TEN standards, we will have to wait until the new route Sofia-Vidin is built (ca. 2020?). Even then, the route will not make much sense if the Romanian side does nto build a diretissimo Calafat-Turnu Severin-Timisoara, which would primarily serve transit and is therefore not really in the interest of the Romanian tax-payers.
For the moment, it seems only 1 passenger train daily across the bridge per direction is planned, which is more to de jure say it is in service.
Sofia - Nis - Szeged railway is not in that great shpe as well. The most disasterous section being Sofia - Nis.

I think that Serbian and Romanian governments should put pressure on Bulgarian government to build a railway beteen Vidin and Zajcar. This would coonnect Black sea ports(mainly Constanta, also Varna and Odessa) with Adriatic ports. The socialist that are part of the current ruling coalition in Bulgaria have expressed in the past their desire to build this short section.

Last edited by PhirgataZFs1694; June 15th, 2013 at 12:39 PM.
PhirgataZFs1694 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 04:56 PM   #218
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu
 
Baron Hirsch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Berlin/Istanbul
Posts: 1,337
Likes (Received): 475

A through train at present conditions would take 17 hours 45 minutes from Sofia to Budapest via Nis, but 19 hours 15 minutes via Vidin (calculated using train connections according to Bahn Hafas and then substracting all stopovers). Both is rather lame, but until at least either Romania or Bulgaria have improved their access to Vidin, it makes more sense to travel via Nis. The link you mention between Northern Bulgaria and Serbia only makes sense if railway infrastructure in the region is improved in general. For the moment, it is much preferable to route trains from Varna either via Sofia or via Giurgiu if they are heading for Croatia/Slovenia.
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 12:45 PM   #219
PhirgataZFs1694
Registered User
 
PhirgataZFs1694's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sofia
Posts: 6,472
Likes (Received): 1560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Hirsch View Post
A through train at present conditions would take 17 hours 45 minutes from Sofia to Budapest via Nis, but 19 hours 15 minutes via Vidin (calculated using train connections according to Bahn Hafas and then substracting all stopovers). Both is rather lame, but until at least either Romania or Bulgaria have improved their access to Vidin, it makes more sense to travel via Nis. The link you mention between Northern Bulgaria and Serbia only makes sense if railway infrastructure in the region is improved in general. For the moment, it is much preferable to route trains from Varna either via Sofia or via Giurgiu if they are heading for Croatia/Slovenia.
1. What about waiting time at borders? If you take them into consideration, the big picture changes, IMO.
2. I was thinking more about Bar port and albanian ports.
PhirgataZFs1694 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 02:42 PM   #220
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu
 
Baron Hirsch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Berlin/Istanbul
Posts: 1,337
Likes (Received): 475

1. I did not substract any of the border waiting time on the Nis route and did not even add any for the Vidin crossing, thus even giving the new potential route an advantage it does not have yet. If both Romania and Bulgaria finally become Schengenized, this could be a decisive advantage for this route and the one via Ruse, and especially if needless changing of engines at the border is abandoned. At present, trains at Ruse have a full hour stopover, which is intended as abuffer against international delays I guess.
2. Bar and Durres lie far to the south, in that case it makes even more sense to make trains run via Sofia-Nis-Krusevac-Uzice-Podgorica, or if you want to build something new, have a line from Nis via [email protected] to Montenegro (nor really an option at the moment. But anyways, loading and reloading ships is very time consuming. Such ships would simply sail around from Constanta to Bar, rather than use rail & sail. The only benefit of a Vidin-Zajecar I could see would be to have a direct connection between Bucharest and Belgrade, which potentially one day could make sense, but is probably not a priority today.
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium