daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area > Manchester Construction Projects

Manchester Construction Projects Projects being built in Manchester

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average.
Old February 8th, 2010, 06:37 PM   #81
tomegranate

Likes (Received): 122

I am being very lazy with something I get quite irate about - does any of this mention the enclosing of Library Walk?
tomegranate no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 13th, 2010, 09:26 AM   #82
Garibaldi773

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegranate View Post
I am being very lazy with something I get quite irate about - does any of this mention the enclosing of Library Walk?
Yes, the brief does include Library walk with some reference to the cafe idea, glazing and the need to establish a connection between the Town Hall Extension and the Library. Respondents are also asked to identify an artist for the Peterloo memorial.

I read in the documents on display for the Library's Peterloo exhibition last year that there was a re-enactment of the Peterloo Massacre in the 1960s. Has anyone seen Jermey Dellar's Battle of Orgreave? Much better than the postmodern Procession that he brought to Manchester. My memorial would be to have a mass demonstration every year, but then I am old-fashioned like that.
Garibaldi773 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 12:41 PM   #83
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 2443

St Peter's Square day at Manchester MIPIM today.

A video has been prsented that shows how St Peter's Square will look like. It will probably be added to Youtube later on.

Link here to Manchester MIPIM Twitter. http://twitter.com/mcrMIPIM F5 to refresh.

PS. Don't forget this afternoon. The possible big showcase of the leisure destination in East Manchester.

Last edited by jrb; March 18th, 2010 at 12:58 PM.
jrb está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 12:55 PM   #84
hulmeman2

Likes (Received): 223

Here's the tweets (in reverse order):
Quote:
Partridge: One St Peter's Square development ground floor will accommodate retail/cafe units along with a large entrance hall.

Partridge says the Parnership will, similar to @PIccadillyMcr, become something that works with businesses to make it a "amazing space".

Now David Partridge: St Peter's Parnership. Showing a video of what they hope the St. Peter's Square area will become.

Stephenson: 250 bed, 5-star hotel, on Peter Street will be 32-stories high - not as high as the Beetham but significant on the skyline.

Stephenson: Theatre Royal building to rehouse the Library Theatre permanently, alongside a new 5-star hotel.

Stephenson: Potential to improve walkway between Library and Town Hall, improve lighting.

Stephenson: Also, plan to commemorate the Peterloo Massacre in some way and improve setting of the cenotaph.

Roger Stephenson discussing St Peter's Square redev now. Plan to remove all vehicles except trams from the Square.

Manchester Central will be a new gateway to the city from the south. A transport hub situated between Hilton and Manchester Central.

Simpson: GMEX area is a "forgotten place". New rail interchange 'Manchester Central' to be created.

Simpson: Town Hall Extension workplaces to be renovated, made more open, corridor system removed.

Simpson: Rates Hall to be reopened as a public space, Courtyard to be redeveloped as a garden area.

Ian Simpson, architect: discussing Manchester Central redevelopment project, including the Town Hall Extension redevelopment.

The stand's packed for our first stand event of the day: Civic Centre Manchester. #MIPIM
hulmeman2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 02:08 PM   #85
jrb
10th February 2008

Fbloke on BM.

Keep your eyse peeled on the Manchester MIPIM Youtube site. We should get a glimpse of the proposed hotel tower. (off out)

Quote:
mcrMIPIM

Lots of interest in today's Manchester Civic Centre presentation. We'll have a video up ASAP. This afternoon: New East Manchester.
Old March 18th, 2010, 05:39 PM   #86
hulmeman2

Video on youtube now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaDLGxTTxno
Old March 18th, 2010, 05:50 PM   #87
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 337

In Ian Simpson's speech, I assume he means Deansgate station, not Oxford Road?
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 05:54 PM   #88
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 337

The plan for the interchange looks fantastic btw!
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 06:04 PM   #89
future.architect
Far East London

Likes (Received): 419

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulmeman2 View Post
some very nice proposals on here. i just hope they can proceed in a timely fashion.
future.architect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 06:07 PM   #90
hulmeman2

And another:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mcrMIPIM#p/u/0/nGsZYRipDyw
Old March 18th, 2010, 06:25 PM   #91
WatcherZero

Im in shock, the interchange is huge, and we were worried about how they could accomadate the buses :P

(Restraining myself by the fact he called deansgate Oxford Road twice and when he said arrive on tram he might have meant arrive on train.)

But if he was right about arrive on tram then thats a huge new train shed with a new bridge to Deansgate and a pedestrian overpass running alongside Manchester Central.

It would complete the holy trinity of Piccadilly, Victoria and Deansgate as quality tram/rail gateways to the city.
WatcherZero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 06:47 PM   #92
Cherguevara

Likes (Received): 653

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatcherZero View Post
Im in shock, the interchange is huge, and we were worried about how they could accomadate the buses :P

(Restraining myself by the fact he called deansgate Oxford Road twice and when he said arrive on tram he might have meant arrive on train.)

But if he was right about arrive on tram then thats a huge new train shed with a new bridge to Deansgate and a pedestrian overpass running alongside Manchester Central.

It would complete the holy trinity of Piccadilly, Victoria and Deansgate as quality tram/rail gateways to the city.
I think he must have meant arrive on the tram so the train shed is for the trams. I've always thought G-Mex was a bit insubstantial considering the potential area it serves and the interchange possibilities it allows, so this is great. And a great big public square in the sky is a really interesting idea, presuming they can make it work.
Cherguevara no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 07:30 PM   #93
Seasonedbest
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherguevara View Post
I think he must have meant arrive on the tram so the train shed is for the trams. I've always thought G-Mex was a bit insubstantial considering the potential area it serves and the interchange possibilities it allows, so this is great. And a great big public square in the sky is a really interesting idea, presuming they can make it work.
He was definitely talking about the trams because he mentioned that you would no longer have to wait at bus stop type shelters.

Last edited by Seasonedbest; March 18th, 2010 at 09:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Seasonedbest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 07:57 PM   #94
kids

Likes (Received): 172

Wow, the interchange looks amazing. Can't wait to see the plans in full.

What were those buildings he was talking about as being on watson street (?) facing the public square in the sky.
kids no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 08:15 PM   #95
rolybling
CAN'T BE ARSED

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kids View Post
Wow, the interchange looks amazing. Can't wait to see the plans in full.

What were those buildings he was talking about as being on watson street (?) facing the public square in the sky.
I think they were just potential buildings he was on about, he mentioned they could be much bigger if need be. The plans for the interchange look fantastic, I love the raised public space it looks amazing and the walkway down to St Peters Sq is much needed. I also love the idea of removing the tunnel on Great Bridgewater St and opening up the whole street with even more public space where it meets Watson St. Excellent stuff.
Old March 20th, 2010, 07:35 PM   #96
jrb
10th February 2008

Civic Centre Part 3 Video.

This hasn't been posted yet. The presentation on the video wall is very fast moving, but it shows quite a few new renders that haven't been seen yet. You will have to keep your eyes peeled and have your finger on the mouse to click the on video pause button. Worth it though.

Old March 20th, 2010, 07:47 PM   #97
Frodz

Interestingly I notice the building render I posted on the Civic Centre thread was in that video,

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=980010&page=2

It probably won't be final though because the plans in the Civic Centre document call for the whole 4 building complex to become a 12 storey building and that one looks slightly bigger.

Last edited by Frodz; March 20th, 2010 at 07:52 PM.
Frodz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2010, 07:49 PM   #98
jrb
10th February 2008

99% sure I've seen this render before.

That doesn't look like the current proposal that has planning permission. Look at the height of it. Could be wrong though.

Old June 15th, 2010, 11:19 PM   #99
CDX
Keep Changing.

Designs have been shortlisted according to HB,
Quote:
At a breakfast meeting organised by networking group Downtown Manchester in Business, Sir Howard said: “...Designs for the regeneration of St Peter's Square have been shortlisted and a public consultation is imminent so that too will boost activity and pave the way for the Oxford Road Corridor regeneration plans.“
http://www.crainsmanchesterbusiness....100619923/1026
CDX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2010, 06:02 PM   #100
jrb
10th February 2008

Place North West.

Quote:
St Peter's Square designs to go on show
25 Jun 2010, 11:08

An exhibition of the five short-listed designs for the improvements to St Peter's Square in Manchester will go on display to the public in mid-July.

The identities of the architects bidding for the coveted contract to redesign the square have been kept secret, not just from the public but also the judges overseeing the contest in order to prevent preconceptions influencing the decision.

The exhibition in the former visitor centre at the Town Hall Extension will begin with an evening reception for stakeholders on 14 July. The public will then be able to view the designs from 8am until 8pm on 15 and 16 July and from 10am to 3pm on Saturday 17 July.

The brief for the design competition is to enhance the open space through reduced traffic use - cars and buses are likely to be diverted in future - and create a better setting for the existing monuments and peace gardens.

The improvements to St Peter's Square are part of the £175m programme to bring the civic complex that includes Central Library and Town Hall up to modern standards.

Meanwhile, council staff have relocated to Ask's First Street off Whitworth Street West. A temporary visitor information centre has opened at Piccadilly Plaza and Central Library will relocate to Elliott House on Deansgate while work is carried out. Both sites are owned by Bruntwood. The council has signed leases for 3.5 or four years in all cases.

Separate contests were won last year by Ian Simpson Architects for the Town Hall Extension and Ryder Architects, the Central Library. BDP will carry out the mechanical and engineering design work at the Town Hall.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: