daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area > Manchester Construction Projects

Manchester Construction Projects Projects being built in Manchester

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 5.00 average.
Old July 15th, 2010, 11:43 AM   #101
WatcherZero

The five finalist Designs (from the MEN) until someone gets better images.

WatcherZero no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 15th, 2010, 11:57 AM   #102
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 2577

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatcherZero View Post
The five finalist Designs (from the MEN) until someone gets better images.

Going lunch time with my Sony mate.

Can't really tell from those initial enders TBH, but my initial thoughts are 1 and 2 yes, 3 not sure and 4 and 5 no. No doubt I will change my mind after seeing the exhibition. Or will I?
jrb está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 12:14 PM   #103
Priscilla QOTD
Nasty piece of work

Likes (Received): 60

In the first image, they seem to have forgotten the small matter of a tram station...

Or is it an option to move it?
Old July 15th, 2010, 12:38 PM   #104
jrb
10th February 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla QOTD View Post
In the first image, they seem to have forgotten the small matter of a tram station...

Or is it an option to move it?
No it's there. Under the shadow. You can see a tram. They want to move it further up St Peters Square, so opening up the square infront of the library.

From Place North West.

St Peter's Square designs go on show
15 Jul 2010, 10:28

The five shortlisted designs for the improvement of St Peter's Square in central Manchester were unveiled to a muted response at a private viewing last night.

The exhibition opened to the public this morning in the former visitor information centre behind the Town Hall next to the square and lasts until Saturday.

The identities of the five architects have been kept a secret in the displays and even the judges will not be told, in order to prevent preconceptions influencing their decision. The designs are simply labeled 002, 004, 016, 027 and 032. The invited guests at last night's low-key reception for stakeholders and media muttered comments such as "much of a much-ness" and "little to choose between them". One distinguished office agent simply couldn't wait for the work to take place, commenting: "It doesn't really matter which one, just pick a winner and get it done."

The brief for a largely pedestrianised square - all traffic apart from trams will be diverted in future - inevitably makes the designs similar riffs on expanses of paving, planting and seating. At first glance the few distinguishing features are limited to a sculpture here and novel choice of tree type there. The choice and cost of materials could arguably the biggest distinguishing factor, the paving is such a large feature in every sense.

(interesting)

New structures are limited throughout the designs with some having no new buildings and others suggesting larger shelters for tram passengers or dodging the Manchester rain.

Arguably the biggest change will be closing the extension of Moseley Street and the resultant enlargement of the pedestrian area: a given set by the planners and not the work of the architects.

The brief includes the creation of a contemporary memorial to the 1819 Peterloo Massacre. The cenotaph will not be affected by the redesign of the square and will remain in its current position.

The winning design team will be selected later this summer and a separate artist appointed to work alongside them to create the Peterloo memorial.

The £20m contract is scheduled to start on site in early 2011 and last 12 months. The contest is part of the civic complex renewal programme that includes refurbishment of the Town Hall Extension and Central Library.
Old July 15th, 2010, 12:57 PM   #105
Cherguevara

Likes (Received): 736

It makes sense to move the tram stop to the north end of the square (if there's room) as if the Cross City Bus scheme goes ahead it will provide better interchange with buses on Princess St.

And obviously open up the square to make a better public space.

Last edited by Cherguevara; July 15th, 2010 at 01:03 PM.
Cherguevara no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 01:09 PM   #106
monkey_rat

Likes (Received): 53

the flags in the last one look like polished marble.

tbh they all look very similar. and in all of them it seems the peace gardens are going to be remodelled?
monkey_rat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 01:10 PM   #107
monkey_rat

Likes (Received): 53

didnt realise they wanted to move the tram stop...good idea..its really intrusive onto the monument space at the moment.
monkey_rat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 01:27 PM   #108
WatcherZero

Only the first one moves the stop, though to be honest its a good (if wasteful) idea, moving it to the narrower bit opens up the rest of the square, it will better centralised for the area further from GMEX and mitigate some of the closure of Mosley. Howver rest of the first one is boring and bland to me.

2nd one, cant see a thing a horrible render because of poor lighting and restricted vision of the scheme.

3rd I love, (have they remodled the tram stop to an island platform however?)

4th, again slightly boring (is this the one with the bronze heads?)

5th I like a lot but not quite love, very modern.
Old July 15th, 2010, 01:44 PM   #109
jrb
10th February 2008

Like the flatness of the first one. Certainly opens the square up and gives it much bigger feel.

Moving the tram stop may be costly and it may focus the minds of the judges and the city council.
Old July 15th, 2010, 01:58 PM   #110
iheartthenew

Likes (Received): 752

That the tram stop will move, based on the fact £££ has just been spent improving the existing one....
iheartthenew está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 04:25 PM   #111
nerd

Likes (Received): 285

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthenew View Post
That the tram stop will move, based on the fact £££ has just been spent improving the existing one....
They need to move either the tram stop, or the monument complex. The current abutment of the one to the other is painful in the extreme.

I would guess that moving the stop would be both easier and cheaper. Plus moving the monument would require a faculty from the diocese and approval from the Commonwealth War Graves commission.

Plus it should then be possible to integrate the tram stop with a cross-city bus stop atop Princess Street.

So I vote for scheme one.
nerd está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 06:06 PM   #112
jrb
10th February 2008

Just got back.

Took pictures of every board and videoed the videos. (will add them today or tomorrow)

There's one 'clear winner'. It's as big as the nose on my face, and that's big enough.

No 1. (as i initially thought) Got speaking to three other people and they prefered No1 as well.

Made my views clear to the City Council staff in attendance, as well as voting for my preferred choice and leaving additional comments on the slip. The last one being.

'Don't make the same mistake as Piccadilly Gardens and No1 Piccadilly.

Last edited by jrb; July 15th, 2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old July 15th, 2010, 06:11 PM   #113
Frodz

Likes (Received): 0

To be fair given that many things were fixed in the brief (the monument staying put, the removal of the end of Moseley street) it's not particularly surprising that they're very similar schemes as they didn't have much to play with!

1) If the monument is staying put then it probably makes the most sense to move the stop up by the peace gardens. Though it does mean now Oxford Street/Road is even more distant from the metrolink network. This plan however doesn't appear to do much with the square after it's just opened up a lot of space. Just seems to leave it empty and bland, boooooring.

Notice how this drawing appears to use the new version of Century House.

2) Unfortunately we can't see much but I do like the fact they seem to be heavy on tree planting. The last thing this square needs is to be a "modern" wind-swept barren wasteland devoid of life.

What that purple and gold thing at the end is is anyone's guess. We need more.

3) What the hell are the white structures? The paving may work in a relatively dull and lifeless area like Spinningfields but not sure it's so suitable here.

4) Too formal, too dead. Don't appear to know that their using island platform shelters. Why design a path that has the same barrier effect as the roads which have been removed?

5) Why go and suggest a huge shelter when one of the main criticisms of the stop is the impact on the square?! At least the paving is interesting, even if it will look wind-swept in Mancunian weather.

Last edited by Frodz; July 15th, 2010 at 06:25 PM.
Frodz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 06:46 PM   #114
jrb
10th February 2008

Metrolink stop and 'furniture' to be moved and relocated next to and behind the trees.

St Peter's Square finally becomes a 'square' again. You will see what I mean below.(let's go back in time)

The square is opened up so 'all' the wonderful buildings surrounding it are clearly visible. Was that not one of the main points about redesigning the square?

The paving/stone which will be used is plain york stone. Similar in colour and texture to some of the surrouning buildings.

The lack of unnecessary street furniture and sculptures is a plus point in my book. The novely factor will soon ware of and the cost of maintenance is/will also be a factor. (let's be honest here, MCC don't do water features very well)

The cenotaph should also be given pride of place and a more Prominent view in the new St Peter's Square. It shouldn't be next to or behind trees, street furniture or sculptures.
Old July 15th, 2010, 07:01 PM   #115
jrb
10th February 2008

As promised. I'll post all the other boards tomorrow. Haven't got time today.

Spot the similarities. If it doesn't need fixing, why fix it? How refershing. Second picture down. Wonderful.

Old July 15th, 2010, 07:17 PM   #116
WatcherZero

Errm why does the relocated tram stop on the flow diagrams have two platforms but in the main image and removing barriers diagram only have a platform on the Northbound side?
Old July 15th, 2010, 08:15 PM   #117
Frodz

Likes (Received): 0

Still don't like it. Modern, empty, dead. A space for architects to gawp at buildings and nothing much for anyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatcherZero View Post
Errm why does the relocated tram stop on the flow diagrams have two platforms but in the main image and removing barriers diagram only have a platform on the Northbound side?
In the main image the other platform appears hidden by the new Century House. (EDIT: I see you're talking about the image on the second page and yes it does seem to have one platform ) The green patch on the removing barriers image is the peace gardens.

Last edited by Frodz; July 15th, 2010 at 08:25 PM.
Frodz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 10:25 PM   #118
Priscilla QOTD
Nasty piece of work

Likes (Received): 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb View Post
No it's there. Under the shadow. You can see a tram. They want to move it further up St Peters Square, so opening up the square infront of the library.
Well, I did think that might be it, but I was under the impression that moving the tram stop was categorically forbidden. Don't know where I got that from. Anyway, as Che and others have said, it makes sense.
Old July 15th, 2010, 10:43 PM   #119
WatcherZero

It was impossible to do when traffic was there (otherwise they would have done just that during the city centre refurb I believe), but since its being removed it can be. Of course theyve just spent £200k on the refurb, shelters could be reused I guess.
Old July 16th, 2010, 01:48 AM   #120
Cherguevara

Likes (Received): 736

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb View Post
Just got back.

Took pictures of every board and videoed the videos. (will add them today or tomorrow)

There's one 'clear winner'. It's as big as the nose on my face, and that's big enough.

No 1. (as i initially thought) Got speaking to three other people and they prefered No1 as well.

Made my views clear to the City Council staff in attendance, as well as voting for my preferred choice and leaving additional comments on the slip. The last one being.

'Don't make the same mistake as Piccadilly Gardens and No1 Piccadilly.
What time were you down there jerbster? I was in around 5:45 and had the exact same experience. When you see all the detail of the five schemes number 1 is the only one that doesn't seem gimmicky. It moves the tram stop, tries to return the square to a single space rather than splitting it up into themed segments and relates to the rest of the city rather than some concept of what the city is (parquet flaws and tartan apparently). I hated the horseshoe Peterloo plaques though. I thought features of the other ones were interesting, but they all seemed to fiddly and full of crap.

I was chatting to the staff for a while and we agreed that presuming that one was practically achievable it was the clear winner (there was some talk about having to close the track and moving it so the stop could move making it unacheivable).
Cherguevara no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: