daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area > Manchester Construction Projects

Manchester Construction Projects Projects being built in Manchester

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old July 16th, 2010, 01:52 AM   #121
Unremarkable

Likes (Received): 3

It's difficult to see much from the renders but my initial preference is number 1

There is one glaring ommision in all of them though, a square that size needs or at least deserves a nice big FOUNTAIN!!

oh and that big canary coloured canopy in 5 looks hideous, I don't know what they were thinking.
Unremarkable no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 16th, 2010, 07:59 AM   #122
PeteVincent82
Shabba!

While I like number 1 for removing all the clutter it doesn't look very welcoming and what has they should have planted more trees.

Also where will the buses go?
Old July 16th, 2010, 11:18 AM   #123
gd

Likes (Received): 0

none of them look particluarly amazing to me..

can't see what the big fuss about number 1 is.. it's looks a bit boring.

I think they should 'hide' the tram stop with a big concrete wall. Then, on the otherside, as pointed out earlier... install some fountains.. this will provide some refreshment to chavy kids in summer.

Oh, nearly forgot. Can't we have a Tesco or Sainburys Local in this area?? much needed. Glass front the libary.. it could go there.
gd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2010, 01:02 PM   #124
macc

Likes (Received): 19

If you're moving the tram station why not move it to the other side of the Cenotaph so it runs by Elisabeth House? It'd make the square much larger and more usable.
Old July 16th, 2010, 01:15 PM   #125
PeteVincent82
Shabba!

Also the people who designed No1 seem to have forgotton you need poles and cables for the trams to run
Old July 16th, 2010, 02:21 PM   #126
GShutty

Likes (Received): 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteVincent82 View Post
Also the people who designed No1 seem to have forgotton you need poles and cables for the trams to run
I believe many of the Poles have returned to their homeland due to the current economic environment and lack of new building projects. Also I understand Vince Cable will not be required, or consulted on this matter
Old July 16th, 2010, 03:58 PM   #127
Madchester Guy

Location: Get up, go to work, play the game, kiss Gaz, have a shower, go home. No fuss.

A square with trees will do it for me. The first design looks rather bland and bare.
Madchester Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2010, 05:27 PM   #128
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 1579

Post the other boards and videos tonight.

Have faith people.
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2010, 07:55 PM   #129
WatcherZero

Was there this afternoon, theres a lot of good ideas in the plans but every single one has one or more fatal flaws (square still divided, no passenger shelters, cluttered) also a lot of them didnt seem to recognise the Manchester weather having little shelter or only from vertical rain and potentially funneling the wind through the square, other people I spoke to there had the same feeling about none of them being good enough on their own. I think a lot of people would like to see a hybrid design taking elements of several.

Council workers seemed pleased that the place was packed and getting lots of feedback.
WatcherZero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2010, 08:20 PM   #130
Seasonedbest
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Can someone create a poll for these please, like the IWMN landscaping comp? It would be interesting to see what everyone thinks.
Seasonedbest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2010, 08:59 PM   #131
Frodz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasonedbest View Post
Can someone create a poll for these please, like the IWMN landscaping comp? It would be interesting to see what everyone thinks.
Yes, once all the boards have been posted so we all have a better idea of the plans, that would be great.
Frodz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2010, 11:21 PM   #132
uklad1979

Likes (Received): 40

I went in this evening and popped my comments in on option 1. It moves the tram stop to a better location and creates a real public square for events. This is really needed to compliment Albert Sq so we have to places for large event next to each other. Piccadilly should have been a plan public Sq roo. Go to any european city and they have great public squares where markets and events make the place not the street furniture.
uklad1979 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 12:05 AM   #133
WatcherZero

Yeah, the council people didnt seem happy about them moving it saying several times they broke the rules, but felt that it was one of the best proposals. I dont know if its entirely practical (theirs less space for a southern platform than Mosley!) and im not sure if theirs quite enough straight track there, there was also no shelter for the southern platform so people will get pretty wet, but several props had that problem. The danger also is the architect assumed it could be done without really thinking about it, you will notice theirs no renders of the tram stop on its boards and on the diagram the southern platform was represented by just a simple rectangle though their was some small detail on the northern platform.
Old July 17th, 2010, 12:08 AM   #134
jrb
10th February 2008

Can't remember which order the designs and boards were in. Flicking about the designs and boards as people were always in the way. Think I've got all the correct boards in the correct designs. Think I may have short changed design five by one board? videos will be uploaded tomorrow. Phew!

ONE.

TWO.

THREE.

FOUR.

FIVE.

Old July 17th, 2010, 12:43 AM   #135
WatcherZero

Oh yeah I remember the council wernt happy about the last one either, told they couldnt touch the cenotapth they turned it into a water feature by surrounding it with a reflection pond.
Old July 17th, 2010, 12:45 AM   #136
Seasonedbest
BANNED

The last one is really terrible imo.
Old July 17th, 2010, 12:56 AM   #137
WatcherZero

Last one has a couple of good features, a rose garden and probably the best paving amongst them all. Wait till you see the videos and explanation how one of them was based on carpet underlay.
Old July 17th, 2010, 12:56 AM   #138
jrb
10th February 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasonedbest View Post
The last one is really terrible imo.
No 5 sucks.(how that made it this far God only knows)

No 4. Liked the trees and seating area around the trees straightaway. Sort of expecting a Tyrannosaurus Rex to pop out any minute. This is my second fav.

Still sticking with my original choice. No 3. There's nothing to say it can't be modified slighly to include more trees, etc.
Old July 17th, 2010, 01:15 AM   #139
WatcherZero

I voted for 4 & 2 equally though I made the pint that they all had good points and critical flaws and a mix of all of them would be best.

4 loved the trees
2 While it didnt really solve the square being divided it best recognised and allowed pedestrian movements and that the square will always be used more like a path than a park.

1 I really hated, the paving looks like someone spilled the bits from a hole punch and modern art was bad. 5 I also disliked the enclosed greenhouse exhibition space. I disliked 4's X pavement feature made up of vintage posters.

I compiled a list of the best features of all of them
Tram Shelters from 2 and 4
Trees from 4 and 5
Rose Garden from 5,
Paving from 4 & 5,
Moving stop from 3,
pedestrian flows from 2,
Colour from 3 (Princess trees) & 5
Old July 17th, 2010, 01:48 AM   #140
Seasonedbest
BANNED

Surely anything leading towards the modern abstract is bad. Modern abstract leads down the road of tack, cheap material and prematurely dated design, especially for a 'square' or space like this.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: