daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 19th, 2010, 11:24 PM   #121
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6892

old news
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 19th, 2010, 11:45 PM   #122
HyperMiler
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmosphere View Post
Why not?

Can you explain? Because just saying never going to happen doesn't say much.
China has ill relationships with all its neighbors, and there is no country in Asia that China could call an ally, save for the single exception of Pakistan.

China's neighbors look at any offer from China with suspicion as having an ulterior motive. HSR construction like this would mean a mass migration of Chinese laborers(Chinese never use local labor to do any of civil projects they work on in foreign lands; they always bring in Chinese labor thus there is no job creation benefits of a China funded HSR for the locals), new formation of Chinatowns, and the eventual ethnic Chinese control of local economy that China's neighbors do not want to see this in their lands.

Last edited by HyperMiler; September 19th, 2010 at 11:56 PM.
HyperMiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 12:11 AM   #123
HyperMiler
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaricManchurian View Post
and you think they are even close to the strength of China?
I have a strong respect for India's fighter pilots. They were the ones who dealt USAF F-15C pilots a defeat back in Red Flag 2004. USAF's critics claimed that the USAF lost the combat simulation on purpose to show how useless F-15C became and why they needed more F-22s, but I don't believe in that theory as this involves USAF pilot's pride.

I have heard of only two instances of USAF losing to a foreign fighter corp in a large scale air combat simulation; to Indians flying Su-30MKI in 2004 and to Spanish Eurofighter Typhoons earlier this year.(But Typhoon is a much better plane than F-15C is).

So PLA Airforce fighters are looking at a blood bath if they were to engage Indians over Kashmir now.
Old September 20th, 2010, 12:31 AM   #124
hkhui
Norway, China

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMiler View Post
China has ill relationships with all its neighbors, and there is no country in Asia that China could call an ally, save for the single exception of Pakistan.

China's neighbors look at any offer from China with suspicion as having an ulterior motive. HSR construction like this would mean a mass migration of Chinese laborers(Chinese never use local labor to do any of civil projects they work on in foreign lands; they always bring in Chinese labor thus there is no job creation benefits of a China funded HSR for the locals), new formation of Chinatowns, and the eventual ethnic Chinese control of local economy that China's neighbors do not want to see this in their lands.
HyperMiler, why do you hate China so much? You always come with false/distorted/imprecise information. You really exaggerate and everything is a goddamn crisis or a conspiracy by the Chinese.

You are lying.
hkhui no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 01:18 AM   #125
HyperMiler
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkhui View Post
HyperMiler, why do you hate China so much?
I don't hate China.

Quote:
You always come with false/distorted/imprecise information.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...791137242.html

Quote:
Hostility Toward Workers Cools Angola-China Relationship

Human-rights activists say Chinese workers and companies have been singled out for physical attacks. Meanwhile, staff and facilities have been targeted by antigovernment forces.

A central issue is growing resentment that companies are importing their own Chinese workers rather than employing Angolans to rebuild the country after its 27-year civil war.
http://www.bahamasb2b.com/news/2010/...feet-1247.html

Quote:
“Foreign construction workers building hotels, roads, docks, industrial plants and even private homes is not alien to our economy – just look around you. Chinese construction workers are not a bad idea in and of themselves but between 5,000 and 7,000? This does seem to be the wrong ratio – one Bahamian job for each three Chinese workers?
Old September 20th, 2010, 01:29 AM   #126
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 67

At least we're sure that HyperMiler's train of bullshiat and conspiracy theories has arrived on time and on budget!
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 01:48 AM   #127
Luli Pop
BANNED

Likes (Received): 40

The Euro-Asian HSR came sooner than we thought!

it's a new generation of HSR: the HM-HSR-BS!

HyperMiller High Speed Railway of Bull Shit.

I like HM anyways, if he uses a half of the energy he spends hating China, to develop his own HSR technology, he would have done a 700km/h fusion powered bullet train by now!
Luli Pop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 02:23 AM   #128
Marathaman

Likes (Received): 6040

^Yeah, I doubt anything of that sort is going to happen in the near future, although internet generals will enjoy speculating over it. Though I do see Pakistan becoming a defacto province of China over the next couple of decades.

2019:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyer75 View Post
Next two years the economy will crumble and the stock markets will crash thanks to demon.
Marathaman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 02:44 AM   #129
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

How would the cost of this new-ROW proposal compare with that of regauging Russia's railroads from 1520 to 1435 mm?

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 03:20 AM   #130
HyperMiler
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
How would the cost of this new-ROW proposal compare with that of regauging Russia's railroads from 1520 to 1435 mm?

Mike
Russian railway would not be regauged; rather variable gauge train models would be introduced.
Old September 20th, 2010, 08:20 AM   #131
maldini

Likes (Received): 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMiler View Post

Just look at your own country, which has no real friends at all. Maybe Korea was suppressed by the Japanese for too long, that is why you people have such an insecure and inferiority complex. With most culture copied from China and then Japan, and then controlled the US, now Korea is merely a pawn used by the US.

In any case, the European railway will not use any of Korea's HSR which was copied from the French anyway. So intellectual property rights is an issue with Korean HSR. The Korean HSR system is so small compared with China's and Japan's. From both technical point and operational experience point of view, Korea HSR will not win any contracts over the Chinese and the Japanese.
maldini no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 08:51 AM   #132
Master of Disguise
Punjabi for Life..!!!

Likes (Received): 459

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaricManchurian View Post
lol, India can't even deal with insurgencies (Maoist, Naxalite, etc) in the eastern 1/3rd of the country, can't stop terrorists from killing people in Mumbai, can't beat Pakistan in Kashmir, already lost a war with China when China's military was much weaker, and you think they are even close to the strength of China? Keep your off-topic trolling elsewhere
Keep living in your world...kid

iQuest Real Estate

New Delhi - NCR, INDIA
Master of Disguise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 09:56 AM   #133
hkhui
Norway, China

Likes (Received): 7

HyperMiler, suddenly you changed your view from "only use Chinese workers" to "using native and Chinese workers". How convenient.

If you want an unbiased analysis on the China's involvement in Africa, you should read "The Dragon's gift" by Deborah Brautigam. Forget WSJ and most Western newspapers - they do not represent a neutral source. They are notoriously known to be anti-China. A better newspaper would be Financial Times in my opinion. In the end, Brautigam's book is really the best academically on the China-Africa subject.
hkhui no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 10:03 AM   #134
Koen Acacia

Likes (Received): 1917

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkhui View Post
HyperMiler, why do you hate China so much? You always come with false/distorted/imprecise information. You really exaggerate and everything is a goddamn crisis or a conspiracy by the Chinese.
Cute pictures, but if even Vietnam, right next door from China, prefers Japanese HSR technology over the much cheaper Chinese bid, then I'm having a hard time seeing this project making it all the way to Ankara.
It's a cool plan, I just don't find it very realistic.
Old September 20th, 2010, 10:18 AM   #135
greenlion

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koen Acacia View Post
Cute pictures, but if even Vietnam, right next door from China, prefers Japanese HSR technology over the much cheaper Chinese bid, then I'm having a hard time seeing this project making it all the way to Ankara.
It's a cool plan, I just don't find it very realistic.
Vietnam reject Chinese bid because of politics reason, China had just win the bid in Argentina,Saudi Arabia,Thailand & Iran

Last edited by greenlion; September 20th, 2010 at 10:40 AM.
greenlion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 10:24 AM   #136
Koen Acacia

Likes (Received): 1917

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlion View Post
Vietnam reject Chinese bid because of politics reason, China had just win the bid in Brazil, Argentina,Saudi Arabia,Thailand & Iran
That's precisely what I was saying.
Old September 20th, 2010, 11:46 AM   #137
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

I will start to believe in this project when I will see maps of planned railway
lines and treaties signed by all countries involved in the project. Personally,
I do not think that it will happen anytime soon.

First of all because it is totally unrealistic : even if it is hard to recognize by
a trainbuff like me, there are other means of transportation available on this
planet, and every one of them has its own niche of profitability. Distances
like those involved in a China to Europe trip are clearly out of the high
speed rail role, which aims at journeys that can be completed in one day
maximum. We are not even able in Europe to run night trains profitably,
using already depreciated infrastructure and rolling stock ! Who in his right
mind will embark in a several days journey in a train, when it can be done
easily with a few hours in a plane ? There are simply not enough potential
customers to recover the costs of such an investment.

And then because it is politically unrealistic too : China is surrounded by
countries with which it has less-than-friendly relationships, and those will
certainly not embark into a project that China is promoting. Plus the fact
that this fixed infrastructure would have to cross the part of the world that
is the most troubled today, with risks of bombing, sabotage... It is already
considered today as not safe enough for transporting goods at low speed,
so I don't believe that passenger HST is a possibility.

And finally there are economic reasons that will prevent that from happening
too, the most important being that China needs all the cash and resources it
has to develop its own territory, and certainly cannot afford to pay for an
infrastructure that will not immediately benefit to its own economy.

So in my opinion this is pure propaganda and media shaking, but in reality
it is not going to happen.
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 11:56 AM   #138
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6140

It'll be realistic a few decades from now when oil becomes so expensive flying will once again be a pastime for the rich. But right now, it's hard to see it come to pass.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 03:21 PM   #139
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6892

Well how about dealing with the myriad threats that I mentioned before even dreaming about taking on China?
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 04:09 PM   #140
Restless

Likes (Received): 271

Jeez...

How did we end up with Indian trolls extolling their military might, in a thread which is supposed to talk about a railway line that wouldn't pass through India anyway???
Restless no está en línea   Reply With Quote