daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 20th, 2010, 05:09 PM   #141
Marathaman

Likes (Received): 6040

^The Chinese trolls attracted them.

2019:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyer75 View Post
Next two years the economy will crumble and the stock markets will crash thanks to demon.
Marathaman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 20th, 2010, 05:28 PM   #142
HyperMiler
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlion View Post
Vietnam reject Chinese bid because of politics reason
India and Mongolia are guaranteed to also reject based on same reasoning.

China has only one passage to Europe; the one that runs through Kazakhstan. Or China can detour and go to Russia's far east to be connected to Russia's Trans-Siberia railway.

Quote:
China had just win the bid in Argentina
Because China's financing it and China isn't Argentina's security threat and the conventional railway is being upgraded with Chinese loans.

Quote:
Saudi Arabia
Railway ground work only. Chinese did not bid on track laying, rolling stocks, and signaling.

Quote:
Thailand
On 100% credit.

Quote:
Iran
China is the only defender of Iran.
HyperMiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 05:35 PM   #143
Gadiri

Likes (Received): 6979

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcVD View Post
I will start to believe in this project when I will see maps of planned railway
lines
and treaties signed by all countries involved in the project. Personally,
I do not think that it will happen anytime soon..
Trans-Asian Railway Network

That's a begining

Quote:
On moroccan forum by Optimus : High-Speed Railway Networks around The World

Quote:
China To Connect Its High Speed Rail All The Way To Europe

China already has the most advanced and extensive high speed rail line in the world, and soon that network will be connected all the way to Europe and the UK! With initial negotiations and surveys already complete, China is now making plans to connect its high speed rail line through 17 other countries in Asia and Eastern Europe in order to connect to the existing infrastructure in the EU. Additional rail lines will also be built into South East Asia as well as Russia, in what will likely become the largest infrastructure project in history.

China hopes to complete this massive infrastructure project within 10 years, which will include three major rail lines running at speeds of 320 km/hour. The first will go from King’s Cross Station in London all the way to Beijing (8,100 km as the crow flies) and will take approximately two days. This line will also then extend down to Singapore. A second HSR line will connect into Vietnam, Thailand, Burma and Malaysia. The last line to be built will connect Germany to Russia, cross Siberia and then back into China. The exact routes have yet to be determined.

Financing and planning for this monstrous project is actually being provided by China, who is already in serious negotiations with 17 countries to develop the project. China states that other countries, like India, came to them first to get the project rolling, because of their experience in designing and building their own HSR network. Financing for the infrastructure will be provided by China and in return the partnering nation will provide natural resources to China. For instance, Burma, which is about to build its link, will exchange lithium (used in batteries), in order for China to build the line.

China benefits because it will be able to transport materials cheaply into manufacturing centers inside its borders and the Eastern Hemisphere benefits by getting a fast, efficient, low carbon transportation system. Considering China has already become the global leader in HSR, their leadership in this new venture could reasonably shift the balance of power in their direction. Also, get ready for a huge influx of HSR station designs in the coming years.

Via CleanTechnica and Edmonton Journal

http://inhabitat.com/2010/03/15/chin...nal-hsr-plans/

FBI Says 94% of Terrorist Attacks in the US Since 1980 Are by Non-Muslims

Gadiri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 08:40 PM   #144
Heusdens

The good thing of this project is that it enabled to get rid of intra-continental flights. I think we should get rid of airliners for intra-continental flights as soon as we can, since the amount of energy needed to fly is terrible high. Only inter-continental travel should use airliners.
Heusdens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 08:42 PM   #145
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMiler View Post
That doesn't change anything, it's not going to happen. Why?

How does this benefit other countries through which China is trying to lay its HSR track through?
For example, Russia is not an enemy of imperialistic China, Russia is an ally of China. Russia is not too worried about the activity of China in outer Manchuria, and wants China to build 900 km HSR between Haishenwei and Boli. Russia is also developing their own HSR, Sapsan already runs between St. Petersburg, Moscow and Nižni Novgorod and Russia wants to extend it to Jekaterinburg. If China wants to build high-speed Transsiberian and cut the trip time from the present 7 days to less than 2, Russia would agree.
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 09:51 PM   #146
HyperMiler
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
For example, Russia is not an enemy of imperialistic China, Russia is an ally of China.
A friend that tried to nuke China in the 70s? Some friend you got there.

Quote:
Russia is not too worried about the activity of China in outer Manchuria
Russia is very much worried about Chinese migration into Russian Far East and this is a big concern in Russia.

So if Chinese think Russia is an ally, they are mistaken.
Old September 20th, 2010, 10:02 PM   #147
Scion

Likes (Received): 4629

That was 40 years ago. There was a country A that DID nuked country B and yet they became friends less than 20 years after.
Scion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 11:45 PM   #148
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:

Russia is very much worried about Chinese migration into Russian Far East and this is a big concern in Russia.
But not big enough for Russia to refuse cooperation on high-speed rail:
http://www.whoiswhopublishing.com/en/t11/375.html
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 08:16 AM   #149
Huhu

Likes (Received): 437

The rail networks will be connected regardless of political issues or whether China is the one to "build" them.
Quote:
China is the only defender of Iran.
Lol?
Huhu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 10:19 AM   #150
makita09

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcVD View Post
First of all because it is totally unrealistic : even if it is hard to recognize by
a trainbuff like me, there are other means of transportation available on this
planet, and every one of them has its own niche of profitability. Distances
like those involved in a China to Europe trip are clearly out of the high
speed rail role, which aims at journeys that can be completed in one day
maximum. We are not even able in Europe to run night trains profitably,
using already depreciated infrastructure and rolling stock ! Who in his right
mind will embark in a several days journey in a train, when it can be done
easily with a few hours in a plane ? There are simply not enough potential
customers to recover the costs of such an investment.
Your entire post seems to assume that if such a link is built the only journey available would be China all the way to Europe. I wonder what proportion of Japanese rail travellers take the entire length of the Sanyo and Tokaido Shinkansens from Tokyo to Hakata? Not many, therefore don't build the Sanyo and Tokaido Shinkansens? Hmm.
makita09 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 02:14 PM   #151
Alexriga
BANNED

Likes (Received): 183

This projects have no economical background, it will never repay but if they build it - super, I want to try it!

Only Chine-Kazakhstan-Russia-Europe seems a bit realistic for me, the line through middle east doesn't seem safe enough, I wouldn't take it
Alexriga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 02:27 PM   #152
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6140

Yeah me neither. "Next stop: Teheran." I don't think so
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 05:22 PM   #153
Simon91

Likes (Received): 241

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexriga View Post
This projects have no economical background, it will never repay but if they build it - super, I want to try it!

Only Chine-Kazakhstan-Russia-Europe seems a bit realistic for me, the line through middle east doesn't seem safe enough, I wouldn't take it
Actually, the economic potential is massive. Not only Kazakhstan is a pretty dynamic economy, but this HSR would cater mostly to freight transportation. Shipping goods to Europe, a massive consumer of Chinese produce within 2 days at a bargain cost is surely what China hopes for, as opposed to over a week on current railways or by ships. The corridor along the line will likely generate economic activities itself due to excellent accessibility. Some more budget travelers and backpackers are very likely to use it as well, me included

Its cool it will take so 'long'. that's the only thing I hated about Shinkansen in Japan - before you really get at home in these large, comfy seats, you have already reached your destination

BTW, today Malaysia announced return to the study on HSR from Singapore to KL to Penang, which is very close to Padang Besar and future Thai HSR.
Simon91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 10:47 PM   #154
Alexriga
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
Yeah me neither. "Next stop: Teheran." I don't think so
Iran is more nice place btw, I meant other countries.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 02:37 AM   #155
kubachrick

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexriga View Post
Iran is more nice place btw, I meant other countries.
Iran is a damn shit
kubachrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 02:43 AM   #156
Atmosphere
Live from the sky!

Likes (Received): 807

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubachrick View Post
Iran is a damn shit
Well I have friends that went on vacation there and they say it's a very nice country. There are some problems lately but overal it's one of the more stable country's in that region.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 04:42 AM   #157
HyperMiler
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon91 View Post
but this HSR would cater mostly to freight transportation.
HSR tracks are unsuitable for freight transportation.

HSR track : Designed for light axle load, but need to be as straight as possible.
Freight track : Designed for heavy axle load, but need not be straight.

Combining heavy axle load and a straight path can be too expensive.

Quote:
Shipping goods to Europe, a massive consumer of Chinese produce within 2 days at a bargain cost is surely what China hopes for
Freight trains do not run at 200 mph; they run at 50 mph.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 10:22 AM   #158
Alexriga
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubachrick View Post
Iran is a damn shit
You are useless zombie. People I met who were there said Iran is amazing so can you read people travel blogs. It is one of least religious countries comparing to Saudi Arabia and it's neighbors, Iranians are indo-eiropeans, some people who visited it claimed it is more western than Turkey.

Now go eat some fries and crisps and watch CNN propaganda.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 11:20 AM   #159
Simon91

Likes (Received): 241

@HyperMiler, I read on wikipedia that China does operate 250km/h freight trains, but I couldn't access the source (Financial Times archives, just for registered members), so I can't confirm it. Maybe any China SSC member could say whether its true?

I'm not an engineer, but my understanding is that HSR could be adequate for transport of consumer goods, that are far lighter than for instance iron ore or coal. After all, TGV does operate a postal service and paper isn't very light either in large quantities.

Last edited by Simon91; September 23rd, 2010 at 11:28 AM.
Simon91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 12:19 PM   #160
greenlion

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon91 View Post
@HyperMiler, I read on wikipedia that China does operate 250km/h freight trains, but I couldn't access the source (Financial Times archives, just for registered members), so I can't confirm it. Maybe any China SSC member could say whether its true?

I'm not an engineer, but my understanding is that HSR could be adequate for transport of consumer goods, that are far lighter than for instance iron ore or coal. After all, TGV does operate a postal service and paper isn't very light either in large quantities.
Chinese high speed freight locomotives - the HXD series are designed for service at top speed of 120km/h
greenlion no está en línea   Reply With Quote