daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 26th, 2008, 09:09 PM   #21
Kuvvaci
Strange User

Likes (Received): 64

I am surprised, because I thought the opposite.
Kuvvaci no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 27th, 2008, 12:30 AM   #22
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1823

It's not viable to build a railway to every small city.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 01:49 PM   #23
Kuvvaci
Strange User

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moolio View Post
Sure. I didn't find too many photos, but maybe these help:

Pendolino:

Upper deck of the IC2-double-decker:

I tried to look for some, but coudn't find any bigger than 100X200 pixels or so. Sorry.
very nice interiors...
Kuvvaci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 02:42 PM   #24
Benbe

Likes (Received): 1

Hi,

I have many photos from the railways around Helsinki on my homepage.

Like these:

Benbe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 07:00 PM   #25
the daydreamer

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvar Lavague View Post
The intercity bus network is much more developed than railways. Almost every small town has its bus station but train stations are quite rare.
Same thing as in Greece and other low population + low density countries, unfortunately. In Greece you can go literally everywhere with buses, but proper railway lines are only from Patras to Athens and Athens to Thessaloniki axis, where major cities and towns are located.
Are there any pictures of trains in the snow or going through a forest?
the daydreamer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 01:15 AM   #26
wastedrepublic
Transport Maniac

Likes (Received): 15

I'm really surprised this thread is so dead.. Aren't there any other Finns here? Of course our railways are nothin to brag about but anyway there's some slight development and (a lot of bad) news every now and then. I will try to post some pictures if I'm able to get some of the ongoing elictrification of the Vaasa-Seinäjoki stretch, but until then I'll post a bad map of our network by today.

E: And oh, I should note that this .gif was from VR.fi, the website of the Finnish Rail-company owned by the state.
Old April 1st, 2011, 02:28 AM   #27
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

I know that Barents Observer has had articles about potential lines from Kolari to Skibotn or from Rovaniemi to Kirkenes.
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 05:09 PM   #28
wastedrepublic
Transport Maniac

Likes (Received): 15

Kolari-Skibotn Railroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by manrush View Post
I know that Barents Observer has had articles about potential lines from Kolari to Skibotn or from Rovaniemi to Kirkenes.
I looked for this and found the following article:

Quote:
Norwegian industry wants Arctic railway to Finland
2010-01-28

The projected construction of a railway line from Finland to the Norwegian port of Skibotn is highly interesting, the Confederation of Norwegian Enterprise (NHO) believes.

Leader of the NHO in Troms County, Arne Eidsmo, says to NRK that the socalled Ice Sea Railway project linking the Finnish railway grid with Skibotn can become the most important industrial project in the region in decades.

As BarentsObserver has reported, the projected railway line connecting Skibotn with the Finnish railway hub of Kollari could give Finnish industry a new desired export route and significantly strengthen cross-border business relations in the Nordic High North.

Mr. Eidsmo stresses that the authorities in Oslo now have to open their eyes for the major opportunities in the region. Both Finnish and EU authorities are positive towards the project, he maintains.

As BarentsObserver reported, Finnish Minister of Foreign Trade and Development, Paavo Väyrynen, during his visit to Kirkenes and Tromsø in 2008 confirmed that Finland is considering the possibility to build a railway line from Kolari in Northern Finland to the Norwegian town of Skibotn.

In September this year, a feasibility report written by Sweco for regional authorities recommended that the 312 km long cross-border railway line from Kolari to Skibotn is built. The infrastructure initiatives come as major new mineral and metal resources are being prepared for exploitation in northern Finland and Sweden. Those resources will need smooth export routes, and the industry is eager to find alternative transport routes away from the crowded Baltic Sea.

Regional industrial interests also considers other infrastructure projects in the area. The International Gold Exploration in a new report on its Rönnbäcken nickel reserves outlines perspectives for the upgrade of road infrastructure to Mo i Rana in northern Norway. In Mo i Rana the Swedish company could take use of the existing local port for exports of the ore.

In addition, several companies also believe an extension of the Rovaniemi railway line to Kirkenes near the border to Russia would be attractive.

Source: www.barentsobserver.com
Here's a quick map I made out of Mysid's one on Wikipedia. You maybe can't call it planned but anyways. This map is also a better one than the previous I posted!

Old April 1st, 2011, 06:29 PM   #29
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18223

My Helsinki gallery : http://www.globalphotos.org/helsinki.htm

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2011, 07:16 PM   #30
Jape
Resurrected User

Likes (Received): 52

Thought I'd resurrect this thread. It's not gonna stay up for long, but a few days probably.

As some pictures have been posted already, I'd add some very basic facts from Wikipedia:

General overview of the network as of 2011:

Ridership
13 million / year long-distance,
54 million / year in Helsinki commuter traffic

System length
Total: 8,816 kilometres (5,478 mi)
Electrified: 3,067 kilometres (1,906 mi)

Gauge
Main 1,524 mm (5 ft)

Electrification
Main 25 kV 50 Hz AC overhead wiring

Features
Longest tunnel: Savio, 13.5 kilometres (8.4 mi)

Running speeds:

Click to enlarge

Electrified /non-electrified (Dark blue = electrified):

Click to enlarge

-----

It's clearly visible that development has concentrated on main lines that spread radially from Helsinki to other major cities/towns and commuter traffic in Helsinki metropolitan area. Outside the Helsinki-Tampere-Turku triangel intervals are quite rare which is, however, quite undestandable as Finland is scarcely populated there. East-west-cross-small-town lines in more peripheral areas remain less-developed, endangerered – some even abandonded.

Then it might be time to share some opinions as a daily customer:

Trains are comfortable, silent, fast and run smoothly, and and thus are fairly equal to those of, say, Switzerland, Germany, Austria and France (having experience from all of the formers). For that I'm thankful.

However, during the last few years VR has been bashed in media and puclic debate for a reason. For a start, prices are unbearably high. Unless I had this 50% student discount I'd scarcely consider riding trains at all (even though I'm a "fan" of them). Secondly, some of the very essential main lines are very susceptible to constant delays. Last winter was somewhat nightmarish in that sense.

And then, what is annoying me the most: VR is arrogant towards their customers – and from what I've read, even own staff. They seem to concentrate on obsessive branding ("discover/improve the national landscape by paying for superhigh tickets" campaigns and new green eco-friendly liveries) while at the same time maltreating the staff and failing in what should be their product and main mission (giving reliable rides from point a to b for reasonable prices).

In a nutshell:

Infrastructure and stock: well-developed (at least on main lines)
Stations: quite decent, not Germany Quality though (bigger sheds needed!)
Management and organisation: - no good -

A few findings from Youtube:

Pendolino at 220km/h:

220km/h - Inside

InterCity passing by Mäntsälä 200km/h:

...and for comparison and more balanced overview: Iisalmi – Ylivieska line (some 700 km north of HKI, an ideal example of peripheral, less-developd non-electrified east-west-cross-small-town line):

And then a Lapland night train (Rovaniemi - Helsinki) arriving Oulu, some 800 km north of Helsinki if I'm not mistaken. Quite a mixture of stock (new double decker sleeping cars, old blue-striped sleeping cars, old regular blue-striped express train cars, new car carriages, etc.)

...and this ageold quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Küsel View Post
I love Finnish railway - especially the Ravintola-Cars

Was travelling between 89 and 2000 probably every single line that exists from Rauma to Lieksa, from Helsinki to Kemijärvi - and it was always worthwhile and comfortable... except these bloody old drunkards, that always sit next to you stinking and nearly vomit on your lap - that was really annoying. Hope it got better in the meantime.
I feel you! That blue-striped stock is legendary (unofficial) brand which VR has trying to get rid of. Those blue-striped express train wagons shaped the railway scenery for decades, but are very rare these days (night express trains to Lapland excluded) – mostly used in peripheral regional traffic I think. They had something so merry-old-train-atmosphere to them, I agree – the soundscape and all. ...plus those old restaurant cars with "lovely" 70's red plastic interiors and drunkards sipping beer from plastic pints...

Nowadays on-board restaurants are of course polished, odourless deli bistros selling some tasteless sandviches and stuff – and sky-high prices keep drunkards at bay. In Pendolinos they have even tried to brand the on-board bistros with some fking Italy theme (In Finland... ) which I find pathetic (that branding obsession I mentioned... again).

Last edited by Jape; November 21st, 2011 at 07:36 PM.
Jape no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2011, 07:33 PM   #31
Tin_Can

Do you happen to know many Sm5's (Stadler Flirt's) have been delivered to Pääkaupunkiseudun Junakalusto Oy?

Oh,and you know you're on Finnish railways when... click (WARNING! Not for kids or faint-hearted people!)
Tin_Can no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2011, 10:28 PM   #32
Jape
Resurrected User

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin_Can View Post
Do you happen to know many Sm5's (Stadler Flirt's) have been delivered to Pääkaupunkiseudun Junakalusto Oy?
10 by the end of the year (=now), at least according to Junakalusto Oy. Here's their site in English: http://www.junakalusto.fi/site/?lan=3

Quote:
Oh,and you know you're on Finnish railways when... click (WARNING! Not for kids or faint-hearted people!)
Considered posting that... VR should definitely start producing some new "Finland by trains" souvenirs using that picture. ;D
Jape no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 04:26 AM   #33
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jape View Post
Nowadays on-board restaurants are of course polished, odourless deli bistros selling some tasteless sandviches and stuff – and sky-high prices keep drunkards at bay. In Pendolinos they have even tried to brand the on-board bistros with some fking Italy theme (In Finland... ) which I find pathetic (that branding obsession I mentioned... again).
That is good. A train is no place to get drunk. Not to eat on the cheap. Space is at a premium and should be prices accordingly

Do they have rail connections with Sweden, or not?
Old November 22nd, 2011, 07:29 AM   #34
XAN_

Likes (Received): 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
That is good. A train is no place to get drunk. Not to eat on the cheap. Space is at a premium and should be prices accordingly

Do they have rail connections with Sweden, or not?
There some rails between Haparanda and Tornio/Torneå, but it's freight only, AFAIK.
-H. Kürsch, 2002
XAN_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 12:03 PM   #35
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 63134

This thread needs some Flirt and Allegro video's

Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 01:42 AM   #36
Tin_Can

Pääkaupunkiseudun Junakalusto Oy has increased their order and is going to buy additional 9 Stadler Flirt trains. (locally named Sm5) This brings Junakalusto Oy's Stadler Flirt number to 41 EMU's and Stadler's own sales to 714 Flirt sets sold.

Junakalusto Oy is joint venture between VR Group and cities of Helsinki,Espoo, Kauniainen and Vantaa. Their trains are used in Helsinki metro area.

Source: http://www.stadlerrail.com/en/news/2...i-erfolgreich/

Broad gauge (1520mm) Finnish Stadler Flirts,which have been modified to resist local extreme cold weather,have been used as basis for Flirts designed & sold to Estonia & Belarus (both contracts are currently ongoing)
Old December 14th, 2011, 12:24 PM   #37
Galactic

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Broad gauge (1520mm) Finnish Stadler Flirts,which have been modified to resist local extreme cold weather,have been used as basis for Flirts designed & sold to Estonia & Belarus (both contracts are currently ongoing)
A small correction: the gauge of the Finnish railways is 1524 mm, the original Russian gauge.
Galactic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 04:14 PM   #38
Tin_Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactic View Post
A small correction: the gauge of the Finnish railways is 1524 mm, the original Russian gauge.
Uh,yeah of course it is. Sorry about the typo I'm guess I'm too attached to 1520mm railways and didn't bother to recheck the text before posting it.
Old December 14th, 2011, 04:26 PM   #39
Vaud

Likes (Received): 1595

I'm happy to see the FLIRTs are enjoying success in Finland, do you know whether the extra equipment to fight the cold in Finland does really work? although it has more to do with energy savings actually, so I mean it both from the passanger perspective and the company perspective
Vaud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 09:29 PM   #40
XAN_

Likes (Received): 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactic View Post
Yeah, but 1520 and 1524 is interoperable anyway, so it isn't an issue.
-H. Kürsch, 2002
XAN_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote