daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 15th, 2011, 04:08 PM   #41
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaud View Post
I'm happy to see the FLIRTs are enjoying success in Finland, do you know whether the extra equipment to fight the cold in Finland does really work? although it has more to do with energy savings actually, so I mean it both from the passanger perspective and the company perspective
AFAIK, Stadler performed major testing operations in Lapland with a pre-production model to test the effectiveness of the "winter equpment" before the final version of the train went into production.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 16th, 2011, 07:50 PM   #42
Jape
Resurrected User

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaud View Post
I'm happy to see the FLIRTs are enjoying success in Finland, do you know whether the extra equipment to fight the cold in Finland does really work? although it has more to do with energy savings actually, so I mean it both from the passanger perspective and the company perspective
From passenger perspective Flirts enjoy high popularity, and as far as I know, from company perspective, too. Not all foreign purchases have managed to cope with our climate as reliably as Flirts. Have not heard of any problems although Finnish railways have become extra famous for being not reliable in winter time. I'm eagerly looking forward to ride Estonian Flirts!

Btw. This morning I did ride a Flirt on regional once-per-hour skip-stop line Z and it felt a bit weird as Flirts are meant to operate on very frequently stopping, separated Kaupunkirata ("city railway") services around here (A, M, I, K, N). Nothing wrong with Flirts serving faster regional traffic, though. It's a habit thing.

But yes, Swiss trains I trust! While Danes have had severe problems with their new Italian DMU's, I've been happy to see everything new working very fine if not perfectly here. I remember when the first units had just arrived - it was a bad winter, 2010, and me and my schoolmate were complaining how unreliable the commuter trains were during morning peaks, once again. My schoolmate then mentioned: "Well, but that new train, that one is most offenly on time."

Another Swiss gift to Finnish railways must have been class Sr2 electric locos that haul mostly IC trains - it's a Finnish variant of Swiss Re 460:

An original Swiss Re 460 for comparison:

(Picturs from Wikipedia)

Last edited by Jape; December 16th, 2011 at 07:57 PM.
Jape no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2011, 08:02 PM   #43
XAN_

Likes (Received): 760

BTW, it seems that SA3 are replacing tradinional chains (+bufer) coupling? I believe Finland still used buffers and chains back in 80th-90th?
-H. Kürsch, 2002
XAN_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2011, 03:44 PM   #44
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jape View Post
I'm eagerly looking forward to ride Estonian Flirts!

Btw. This morning I did ride a Flirt on regional once-per-hour skip-stop line Z and it felt a bit weird as Flirts are meant to operate on very frequently stopping, separated Kaupunkirata ("city railway") services around here (A, M, I, K, N). Nothing wrong with Flirts serving faster regional traffic, though. It's a habit thing.

)
Estonian FLIRTs will be 30cm wider than the Finnish ones, BTW . Over here the FLIRT trains will be used for a variety of purposes: from commuter traffic around Tallinn to intercity service from Tallinn to Tartu.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 02:43 PM   #45
Tin_Can

Uh,old news,but definitely worth mentioning:

VR Group is going to buy 80 new electric locomotives.

VR Group has launched the largest procurement in it's history. They are going to buy 80 new electric locomotives with option of buying additional 97 locomotives in the future. New locomotives will replace old Soviet manufactured Sr1 class locomotives which were built in 1970s. (110 in service)

First new locomotives should arrive to Finland for trials in 2014-2015.

VR Group is also buying new diesel locomotives,coaches and various equipment.

Source: http://www.hs.fi/talous/VR+hankkii+8...a1305547080555

This is how the old Sr1 class electric locomotive looks like:
Source: Wikipedia
Tin_Can no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 05:40 AM   #46
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17045

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 08:32 PM   #47
satama

Likes (Received): 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jape View Post
Btw. This morning I did ride a Flirt on regional once-per-hour skip-stop line Z and it felt a bit weird as Flirts are meant to operate on very frequently stopping, separated Kaupunkirata ("city railway") services around here (A, M, I, K, N).
Someone caught an Z-rarity with his camera. I haven't been lucky enough to spot one.

Last edited by satama; February 15th, 2012 at 10:22 PM.
satama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2012, 10:44 PM   #48
Tin_Can

Few Sm5's passing Savio station in last summer:

Video by Youtube user finnspotter ©
Old February 26th, 2012, 06:47 PM   #49
Tin_Can

Entire Rovaniemi-Kemijärvi line is going to be electrified by 2013.

VR Track OY is going to electrify 85km long railway between towns of Rovaniemi and Kemijärvi in Lapland. Additional works will include track alignment alterations,addition of automated track switches and upgrades to signalling systems.
Total cost of project is 24 million euros (of that,railway electrification costs 9,5 million €) Works are scheduled to begin in this spring and will end in late 2013.

This map should give you the idea how far North this railway line is located:
Old March 6th, 2012, 11:54 PM   #50
Dakkus

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
AFAIK, Stadler performed major testing operations in Lapland with a pre-production model to test the effectiveness of the "winter equpment" before the final version of the train went into production.
Actually they did the tests with the first Sm5 train, not a "pre-production model", changed what needed to be changed and then delivered the train to VR as the first Sm5.
Dakkus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 01:36 PM   #51
AR1182

Likes (Received): 1784

I recently made a trip on one of the InterCity2 double-deck coaches and was quite impressed. When are the new driving trailers and restaurant cars going to enter service and on which routes? I guess at least the driving trailers might be usefull especially on the shortest lines, like Helsinki-Turku. Are they also intending to have all current InterCity trains use only double-deck cars?
AR1182 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2013, 02:21 PM   #52
Galactic

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by eu01 View Post
From the VR (Finnish Railways) press release:

The explanation is pretty easy. The quality of this service has been recently upgraded and speed raised. Nowadays the travel time from Helsinki to Petersburg or vice-versa is only 3 hour 36 min.
Although the frequency of the Allegros was raised not so long ago, there have been no recent changes to travel time. It has been 3:36 ever since the Allegro service started in December 2010.
Galactic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2013, 04:18 PM   #53
eu01

Likes (Received): 293

From the VR (Finnish Railways) press release:
Quote:
The number of passengers travelling on the Allegro trains [between Helsinki and Saint Petersburg] has grown in the early part of the year by 31.1 per cent (January-May 2013) compared with last year. VR estimates that about 425,000 trips will be made in 2013, while in 2012 the number was 367,000. The increase in Allegro passenger numbers has been faster than expected.
The explanation is pretty easy. The quality of this service has been recently upgraded and speed raised. Nowadays the travel time from Helsinki to Petersburg or vice-versa is only 3 hour 36 min.
Old July 20th, 2013, 09:54 PM   #54
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21257

Do they do passport controls at the border or at each originating station?
Old July 20th, 2013, 10:06 PM   #55
eu01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
In the train during the journey.
Quote:
Customs and border checks
In Finland customs and border checks are conducted onboard the train between Helsinki and Vainikkala. In Russia customs and border checks are conducted between St. Petersburg and Vyborg.
(from vr.fi)
Old July 20th, 2013, 10:42 PM   #56
XAN_

Likes (Received): 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
AFAIK, if you travel from intermediate station, the check is at station. If you travel from origin station, then you are checked during train movement.
-H. Kürsch, 2002
XAN_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2013, 03:01 PM   #57
eu01

The Finnish State Railways VR will order 80 new Vectron electric locomotives from the German Siemens company. It will be VR's largest investment ever, worth 300 million euro. There is also an option to buy nearly 97 locomotives more. The 6.4 MW locomotives will have a maximum speed of 200km/h, they will replace some of the Sr1 units manufactured in the USSR/ Russia.
Old December 21st, 2013, 02:00 PM   #58
jonasry

Likes (Received): 148

How is the electrification Rovaniemi-Kemijärvi going? I travelled there in November 2013 and they still had to change to a diesel locomotive in Rovaniemi then.
jonasry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2013, 03:15 PM   #59
eu01

According to liikennevirasto, tests are on the way already, the power has been switched on. The regular use will start in February 2014.
Old January 19th, 2014, 03:09 PM   #60
eu01

Finland uses (and produces) different kinds of double deck railway cars for both day and night travel. The new incomer to the family is a double deck restaurant car. According to VR (State Railways') media release this type is unique in the entire world:
Quote:
On the lower deck there is a modern restaurant and on the upper deck there is a totally new type of passenger compartment.(...)

VR has ordered 26 new restaurant cars from Kajaani-based Transtech Oy. The investment is valued at around 68.5 million euros. At the moment VR operates 37 older restaurant cars of four types that are replaced by the new cars. In addition, there are 18 restaurant cars on Pendolinos. The first new restaurant car starts operating at the turn of January and February between Helsinki and Oulu.

The majority of the restaurant cars [will be] handed over to VR Group in 2014 with the last two in early 2015. The cars will operate in long-distance InterCity trains running to e.g. Rovaniemi, Joensuu, Oulu and Kajaani. The train catering services are operated by a VR subsidiary Avecra Oy. [...]

The Duetto restaurant is on the first deck and has seating for 53 customers. There is a café-bar on the intermediate deck at the one end of the car and a kiosk that can be opened at peak hours at the other end's intermediate deck. Passengers also can purchase take-away products to take to the passengers compartments quickly and easily. There is a stage for performances in the restaurant on the lower deck.

The modern kitchen equipment makes it possible to prepare entirely new types of meals in the kitchen. Thanks to in particular to the efficient oven, meals can be sautéed and can be made crispier than normally.(...)

The restaurant car's upper deck has a new type of DuettoPlus passenger compartment with seating for 41 customers. Single seats can be turned in any direction. The new 12 seat conference compartment or even the entire upper deck can be reserved for business or leisure use. A waiter can be ordered to the conference compartment, if required.(...)

The car's light aluminium chassis and led lighting decrease energy consumption.
VR has also published some photos of DuettoPlus cars, I've chosen for you the outside and dining room views: