SkyscraperCity Forum banner

ALDI - May I present the Ikea of corner grocery stores!

16K views 51 replies 20 participants last post by  HARTride 2012 
#1 ·
TBT 2/1/08
MONEY
Cheap groceries
Aldi, a German grocery chain that redefined frugal food buying, plans to roll out 25 stores in Central Florida by Christmas, including the first seven in the Tampa Bay area. The chain has flourished by claiming even lower prices than Wal-Mart or Target. Its drugstore-sized stores pack in the basics: packaged deli products, baked goods and meats. But there’s no butcher and the produce lineup is just 50 items, so don’t ask where they hid the star fruit. Also, don’t be surprised when they ask you to leave a 25-cent deposit for your shopping cart. You’ll get it back when you bring the cart back from the parking lot
Apparently this has been in the works for sometime now...
Discount grocer shows interest
The 66th Stree site could be Aldi's first in the bay areaBy ANNE LINDBERG

Published December 27, 2006
An international grocery chain is considering Pinellas Park for what could be its first location in the Tampa Bay area.

Aldi Inc., a discount grocery that began 40 years ago in Germany, met with city officials in September to discuss the possibility of opening a store at 6700 66th St. N, which once housed a Wachovia bank.

It is one of three Pinellas County sites the chain is considering, city officials said. They forwarded information to the company about the community and its biggest employers.

The inquiry marks the second grocer in recent months to open talks with Pinellas Park. Wal-Mart wants to build a standalone grocery at 6900 U.S. 19 N, where the Sunshine Bowl once stood and less than a mile from the Wal-Mart Supercenter.

Aldi representatives could not be reached for comment. But the company's Web site, www.aldi.us, said the chain has more than 5,000 locations worldwide. In the United States, there are 800 locations in 26 states.

Aldi is a discount store that carries mostly private labels, such as Beaumont coffee and Kirkwood chicken. The company says customers can do 90 percent of their weekly shopping at half the cost.

But the discount comes with a price. Customers must pay a quarter to use a shopping cart, which is returned when the cart is taken back to its proper location.

Also, shoppers need to bring their own bags, or buy paper or plastic bags from Aldi.
http://aldi.us/index_ENU_HTML.htm

#3 ·
Kick ass! That would be awesome. Though, I have found the cheapest grocer for me is Sweet Bay. I did a personal study and went to Super Walmart, Super Target, Publix, Winn Dixie, and Sweet Bay. I bought the same items over a 5 week period and out of all of them Sweet Bay is about $10 less a week for me....but if Aldi is better and convenient for me I would switch in a heart beat!

Steve

#4 ·
It is always good to have more choices. Plus, Aldi seems like they could easily develop in more urban settings.
For me personally, I find that regular Target is the cheapest for dry good staples and snacks. Then if I am around a Super Target I like their meat and frozen foods selection and prices better than the others.

#6 ·
Then if I am around a Super Target I like their meat and frozen foods selection and prices better than the others.
Interesting, I find Super Target (the one in New Tampa) to be rather expensive for meats and fish. Meats seem the cheapest at Sweet Bay (or Sams in bulk), fish seems to be the cheapest at Super Walmart (but a slim selection). Of course my pricing applies to the New Tampa/Wesley Chapel stores, so it could be different in other areas of Tampa.

Steve

#8 ·
I think all stores should charge if you use plastic bags, they do it in Ireland and other areas/countries. People should re-use their bags (I do, unless it is a bag that was used for meat) or use bags like canvas.

Steve

#7 ·
Yeah, I see where this would be a pain for most people. I guess it is a deposit for the cart, like getting one of those luggage carts at the airport. However, most retailers are getting on the bagless bandwagon (that is why I compared them to Ikea in the thread title). Looks like most of the items are the stores own brands. As long as the food is good, I won't mind shopping there (although I won't be buying generic soda - I am a consumeristic slave for Diet Coke). Hell, if Target sold only their own labeled food products I would be completely happy.

#14 ·
I wasn't going to turn the thread into a slagfest of foreign owned grocery chains, but I don't ever shop at Sweet Bay for the same reason... I was actually very loyal to Kash N Karry (even above Publix then, as I had worked at KnK), until they sold out to the detestable Food Lion chain, which then got bought up too.

Now I go to Publix most of the time, though sometimes I'll hit Albertson's for specifics if they have a good sale going, or Target if I need some groceries and some other things.

#15 ·
^^ Who cares whether if the chain if foreign-owned? The employees are americans, and probably all the goods they sell are produced by american firms and then rebranded to Aldi. If everyone had your opinion, Ford, GM, Microsoft and Boeing just name a few american firms, would go bankrupt and disappear in less than a second.

#19 ·
Sorry for the difference of opinion, but there's a real difference for Tampa shoppers between going to the locally based, employee owned Publix, and Sweet Bay, which is owned by a foreign corporation. Not only does the business occurring at a Publix store help the local economy, but also the flow of profits as well, since it goes to the employees, not investors. When people shop some place else, there is no such benefit.

#16 ·
yeah, I don't care if it's foreign or not. if you're going to use that logic when grocery shopping, you have to use it for everything in your life. otherwise, it's just hypocritical. and i agree with the person who said they'd rather have a trader joe's as long as that TJ's is in the downtown area

#18 ·
I do that, too. Although I bought one of those new reusable bags from publix (not canvas). Reusing plastic bags just defeats the purpose - we aren't supposed to have them in the first place. But I am guilty!

BTW what is this obsessions with this Trader Joe's place? Is it like Wild Oats / Whole Foods? I think publix and Sweetbay are doing fine with their expansion into the health/organic market. Actually I don't even like Whole Foods / wild oats - too expensive, not enough meat :lol:

#20 ·
TJ is the combination of low prices and good quality. They use mostly in-house brands which knocks prices down. And unlike Publix (and Sweet Bay to a lesser degree) you can find unusual ingredients. It's also US owned and they pay their employees living wages with benefits.

I usually go for Sweet Bay because they have a far wider selection. Especially compared to the Publix close by (Bayshore). I've had many occasions that I stop by there just to pick up one or two items and they don't have it and I have to continue on to Sweet Bay. So much for saving time.

I'm really interested in the Green Wise store, that has a lot of potential.

#22 ·
I hate to say it, but I find Publix just OK. The items I tend to buy are more expensive there, and their produce section more expensive (even compared to local green grocers) is generally lacking, or packaged for quantities/size/type that is not what I would like to purchase. Sure they say they will break the package for you, but that is hassle for me and them. Also, their produce selection seems to be much more limited compared to Sweet Bay. Also, in my experience, the check out people are always chatting with each other about personal things (in every Publix I have been to), and they generally ignore you except to say "good morning/afternoon/evening" and the overall pricing is just higher. Though, I know people that used to work in Publix and they are fine individuals, so it is nothing against them, just that I would rather not hear about a high schoolers love life while I am checking out at the grocery.

Sweet Bay, while it may be foreign owned, does carry a fair amount of local produce, though it is better to buy direct or from a local vendor. Overall though, for the goods I buy I find Publix to be 15-30% more than Sweet Bay - unless Publix has something on sale.

Steve

#29 ·
I love the shopping cart idea, wish every store in America did this, people are so lazy and stupid. Some people will leave cars anywhere or shove them into a car. As for paying for plastic bags, though I don't like the idea, its a good idea, because I won't ever buy a re-usable bag until they charge for plastic bags. I think we need more competition like this, plus in today's economy we need bargains.

#31 ·
I hope they are cheaper for packaged goods - which seems to be their handle. I have changed my shopping to be less expensive. Now I get all my meats/bulk at Sams Club, veg at a local market, and packaged goods at Publix or Sweet Bay. There will be an Aldi on my route home (the one by USF), so if they are less I would start shopping their every week for sure!

I already use canvas bags, so I do not have a problem with them charging for plastic ones. I think the .25 deposit for a cart is a fine idea that will force people to be more wary of what they do with them.

BTW, they do accept most Debit cards - just not credit.

Steve

#32 ·
If you really want to support local growers and companies its best to stop off at places like Parkesdale Farms in Plant city or Bearss Groves in Carrollwood.

Laura and I make it a point to make a trip out to Parkesdale about once a month to pickup produce, plants, etc... There is also another produce stand there at the I-4 exit for Dinosaur World, between it and Parkesdale you will find the freshest, cheapest produce in the Bay Area.

Bearss Groves on Bearss Ave also has a wide assortment of local home grown products and produce. Since its within biking distance of our house we make it a point to go there on a regular basis for things like local made orange and tangerine juice, produce and even Amish made cheeses and butters from the Amish community outside of Plant City.

Short of that I'm all about Publix and the Super Target though I will admit that Sweet Bay does actually have a better selection of some items. Having worked at Publix as a kid I will agree that the chit-chatty nature of much of the font end staff can be annoying, but overall its a great local owned and operated company we can all be proud of.

Keeping all of this in mind, its hard for me to say where I would be open to adding ALDI into our shopping repetoire, I would imagine the bottom line may be whether or not it has interesting and different products, as well as an enjoyable shopping environment. I have no problem not using plastic bags, as we have stocked up on the canvass ones for just that purpose and as far a deposit on the grocery cart, I'm all for it if it means that lazy people wont be leaving them in the parking lot to bang into my car.

#34 ·
Back on the bag front. We have about 5 or 6 of the Ikea bags and use them for everything. They are indestructable, and you can pack a whole mess of groceries in two of them. We're in a third floor walk up, so being able to load up a weeks worth of groceries in two bags, sling them over each shoulder and muscle it up is an advantage. Plus its a nice yuppie way to"save the planet" by not using up so many plastic bags.

#37 ·
Local ALDI opens, more coming- check locations here
Wednesday, September 24, 2008

PINELLAS PARK (Bay News 9) -- The bargain grocery store named ALDI, well-known in other states, is now hitting Florida.

One just opened in Pinellas Park and more are scheduled to open as early as the end of this week.

Gary Fowler used to go to an ALDI near Dayton, Ohio.

"We use to go all the time," he said.

Now he's looking for a deal on groceries in the Bay area.

"I've noticed in the last three months now high prices have gone up in food stores," Fowler said. "So, anything that can do better especially since I'm living on Social Security right now."

That's also what brought Patricia McKnight to the store.

"My husband and I are on fixed incomes," McKnight said. "We need a place we can get groceries at a lower price."

At ALDIs, they say you'll find it. Milk's at least a dollar cheaper and other items are up to half off chain store prices.

How can the store do it when other grocers are charging more and still going out of business?

"What we do is eliminate the non-essentials from the grocery shopping experience," said ALDI Division Vice-President David Behm. "So when you come in an ALDI store you don't have a pharmacy, we don't do check cashing, we do a lot of things differently."

The opening comes at a time when other grocers are closing shop.

Since 2005, there's been more than 100 grocery store closings in Florida, but ALDI plans to open 25 by November.

That means there will be new jobs in the Bay area. ALDI will hire about 400 people for its stores and a distribution center in Haines City.

Cashier jobs start at $10 an hour and offer benefits but for customers it boils down to one thing: the savings.

"For me generic brands, off brands are no problem," Fowler said.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/...ALDI+opens,+more+coming-+check+locations+here

#39 ·
Too bad there isn't one near me opening. I'm running out of my bank (my dad) and every place I go to I get shut down due to them being overstaffed. I even went crazy and put an application at the job I quit a year ago.

#41 ·
Laura and I went and checked out the one by USF last night. Pretty interesting setup how both they and Office Depot took over the old U-Save space. Overall its a pretty nice setup and flows really well for its small size. Picked up a few things, the prices were notably pretty good. Of note, they had a stainless steel 8qt crock pot for $26.99 and 5oz fillets wrapped in bacon for $1.99 each. The mix of people was eclectic to say the least, a good balance of USF students, yuppies and lower income. Everyone seemed to get along fine and the employees were very helpfull.

On a side note, why don't more retail stores provide seating for their cashiers? I remember Publix's traditional rationale from working there as a kid, but honestly having our cashier sitting on a stool @ ALDI did not seem to be bothering anyone.

#42 ·
On a side note, why don't more retail stores provide seating for their cashiers? I remember Publix's traditional rationale from working there as a kid, but honestly having our cashier sitting on a stool @ ALDI did not seem to be bothering anyone.
Yeah, it is funny I was talking to a cashier in Wales and he was appalled that in the USA the cashiers had to stand the whole time...

I will be checking Aldi out tomorrow, should be interesting.

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.