daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 5.00 average.
Old February 5th, 2008, 03:35 PM   #21
Astounded

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissyb View Post
Why do Westminster Council 'regard it as one of the last key redevelopment opportunities in London'?

Is that it then when that's finished - we're all done? What a an odd statement - I suppose they mean Westminster - it's still an odd statement though.
It's one of those standard marketing lines, probably just copied and pasted from the proposal without any thought.

Sponsored Links

Old February 6th, 2008, 05:06 PM   #22
ill tonkso
Portsmouths Finest, Maybe

Likes (Received): 866

So we ARE still capable of doing things like that. More please
ill tonkso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 06:54 PM   #23
fitz44

Likes (Received): 13

While we wait for some images of this develoment I thought people might be interested to see some photo's of Grosvenor Wharf just the other side of Ebury Bridge Road to the south of this site. I think I read they were hoping to link the two developments some how.

Not bad, good use of brick and the river front block is nicely proportioned, it sits well in it's surroundings when viewed coming over Chelsea Bridge.
Old February 6th, 2008, 06:55 PM   #24
El_Greco
Flâneur Extraordinaire

Likes (Received): 1803

^ Any pics of MAKEs Grosvenor Waterside?
Old February 6th, 2008, 07:00 PM   #25
fitz44

No that part of the site was difficult to access. There was a building U/C but I couldn't see what it was. Any one else know?

Old February 6th, 2008, 08:36 PM   #26
Manuel

Likes (Received): 15

I think this is the Make building that U/C but I'm not sure. If my memory serves well, the Make building and kind of small tower were left to build.

How is it to walk around this area and in this particular dev? Considering that the flats were extremely expensive (something like £500,000 for studios...) I was expecting something better than this...
Manuel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 09:35 PM   #27
london lad

Likes (Received): 471

The buildings are topped out & well on the way to be finished. No sign of cladding yet though.

Candy & Candy bought out the rest of the development & aiming to join the two sites so the Chelsea barracks lead to the the water front (I think they might also be wanting to use most of the site for quite a bit of the affordable housing element of Chelsea barracks.

Interesting to note the brick in is fake, they are panels of cladding that were lifted & bolted into place.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 10:03 PM   #28
fitz44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
I think this is the Make building that U/C but I'm not sure. If my memory serves well, the Make building and kind of small tower were left to build.

How is it to walk around this area and in this particular dev? Considering that the flats were extremely expensive (something like £500,000 for studios...) I was expecting something better than this...
Completely deserted when I was there on Sunday, no sign of life.
Old February 6th, 2008, 10:07 PM   #29
fitz44

Quote:
Originally Posted by london lad View Post
The buildings are topped out & well on the way to be finished. No sign of cladding yet though.

Candy & Candy bought out the rest of the development & aiming to join the two sites so the Chelsea barracks lead to the the water front (I think they might also be wanting to use most of the site for quite a bit of the affordable housing element of Chelsea barracks.

Interesting to note the brick in is fake, they are panels of cladding that were lifted & bolted into place.
LOL how must the people who've forked out half a million for a studio feel about the "affordables" moving in next door?

The brick panels are very convincing, even up close they look like the real thing.
Old February 20th, 2008, 07:53 PM   #30
fitz44

Well they don't hang about do they? Bore holes were being dug around the site today, presumably to test ground conditions.

Meanwhile across the road MAKEs Grosvenor Wharf building is nearing completion;

Another render from the hoardings. It looks like two buildings are going up. Are they both by MAKE?

Old February 20th, 2008, 08:18 PM   #31
JDRS
Against ID Cards

Likes (Received): 2

Well anything must be an improvement on what's there by the looks of things!

I'm with Officer Dibble on this one. The woodland looks promising too.
JDRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 11:09 PM   #32
delores

Likes (Received): 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz44 View Post
While we wait for some images of this develoment I thought people might be interested to see some photo's of Grosvenor Wharf just the other side of Ebury Bridge Road to the south of this site. I think I read they were hoping to link the two developments some how.

Not bad, good use of brick and the river front block is nicely proportioned, it sits well in it's surroundings when viewed coming over Chelsea Bridge.

I would say it looks ' ok' , very conservative , safe, modern and ultimately dull ( definately market driven then) . On another note , compare it that beautiful old red brick building in the background and you do wonder , have we really progressed? Na.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 12:42 PM   #33
Luke
Blackboard Monitor

Likes (Received): 1

Someone who knows someone who knows someone said that the tower element of the new scheme is shorter than the exhisting tower.
Old April 7th, 2008, 01:16 PM   #34
Luke
Blackboard Monitor

Chelsea Barracks plans lodged
07:52 | 07.04.08

Plans for what is billed to be the UK’s most expensive residential development at the former Chelsea Barracks site in London have been lodged with Westminster city council. Financial Times

The joint venture that owns the site, between the Qatari government and Christian and Nick Candy, the property entrepreneurs, is planning to build the UK’s most luxurious residential scheme. It will comprise 319 private flats as well as a potentially seven-star boutique hotel, with two restaurants and a world-class spa.

http://www.propertyweek.com/story.as...de=3110563&c=1
Old April 8th, 2008, 04:07 PM   #35
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 5708

http://www.propertyweek.com/story.as...de=3110663&c=1

Chelsea Barracks plans revealed
14:58 | 08.04.08

Project Blue, the joint venture between Christian Candy’s CPC Group and Qatari Diar, has submitted the planning application for the redevelopment of Chelsea Barracks.

By David Doyle

A total 638 apartments will be developed at the site, half of which will be affordable, as well as a boutique hotel, retail units, a community hall and a community sports facility featuring a 25m swimming pool.

The private apartments will feature designs from Rogers, Stirk, Harbour + Partners and, with Candy & Candy as interior designers, will be among the most expensive apartments in the capital.

The site was bought from the MoD in February for £959m.
Old April 8th, 2008, 09:07 PM   #36
jimbo

Likes (Received): 5

big development though it is and with a fine architectural practice, its difficult to get hugely excited about this. It has to be low rise in its location, but I can't help feeling it will simply become a bit of an anodyne multimillionaire's village. I think the waterside location of Grosvenor Riverside, or even the rather tacky Imperial Wharf gives more status and atmosphere. IMO thats why Lots Road is going to be so important and popular (although in a rather less salubrious location). Thanks for the news though.
jimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 09:55 PM   #37
london lad

Likes (Received): 471

Not the official website but the site for when the barracks were put up for sale. Some good images showing the size of the site.

http://www.chelseabarracks.net/

Also Grovesnor Waterside has another core rising now.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 07:02 PM   #38
Luke
Blackboard Monitor

Estates Gazette -

Westminister City Council were unhappy about the height of buildings in the original proposals which were taller near the centre of the site. Heights have been reduced for the current proposal and now most buildings stand at 7 storeys with double height penthouses.

The tallest building is the affordable housing which comes in at 13 floors and will be constructed at a seperate location.

The old victorian chapel in the barracks will be demolished under the current proposals.
Old April 17th, 2008, 07:17 PM   #39
potto

Likes (Received): 1789

ridiculous.
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 11:39 PM   #40
UrbanG

Likes (Received): 6

why?
UrbanG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: