daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 4th, 2008, 09:30 PM   #21
Fern

Likes (Received): 1938

Thanks for your comments everyone, I wish I had more photos to show you but unfortunately I didnt spend enough time in the country.. Hopefully edolen will volunteer to give me another guided tour sometime soon

@Jonesy- I was very subtle and concealed the camera so they wouldnt pick on me, I know how paranoid americans are these days!
I stayed at the park hotel.. since I was visiting eastern europe i thought i might as well stay in a commie block It actually offered very good conditions!!

@Mishevy- They were outside the centre thats why i called them suburbs but thanks for the correction

PS. Thanks for your pics Lou, that wine and sandwich combination seems.. tempting!

Sponsored Links
Old February 4th, 2008, 09:56 PM   #22
edolen1
Monkey business

Likes (Received): 6

I'd love to, Fernie!
edolen1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 02:31 AM   #23
Mishevy
Smelly cat...

Likes (Received): 72

@Fern, you'd recognize suburbs in Ljubljana, they're mostly commieblocks!
Old February 5th, 2008, 11:54 AM   #24
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20252

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern View Post
I stayed at the park hotel.. since I was visiting eastern europe i thought i might as well stay in a commie block It actually offered very good conditions!!

I stayed there on my first visit, the rooms were ok but the breakfast wasn't very good I seem to remember.

The second time I visited I stayed at the Fluxus Hostel, good quiet but central location, friendly staff and cheap for a double room. I'd recommend it. The guy running the place even went downstairs onto the street and paid for my parking meter outside as I hadn't had chance to get to an ATM since landing at the airport.
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 06:41 PM   #25
Fern

It wasnt the best breakfast ive ever had, but i did live to see another day hehe
As for the other hotel, I will surely take ur advice into consideration when I next visit the city. But there's one thing I must do, hire a car to drive around the country like you did! Which places did you visit btw?
Old February 5th, 2008, 07:02 PM   #26
Jonesy55
Mooderator

On the first trip I went in summer to Bled/Bohinj, Ljubljana and Piran/Portoroz. I also drove through places like Nova Gorica, Skofja Loka and the Soca Valley/Vrsic Pass. I also drove over the border for a bit into Croatia (Novigrad)

On the second trip I went skiing in February at Vogel, Kobla, Krvavec and Kranjska Gora and also visited Ljubljana, Maribor, Ptuj, Trzic, Radovljica, Kamnik, Slovenj Gradec, Velenje, Slovenska Bistrica, Postonja caves, Lake Cerknica, Novo Mesto, Metlika.

It's only a small country and it's pretty easy to drive around, the Slovenes are more sensible drivers than the Italians I think
Old February 5th, 2008, 07:04 PM   #27
Mishevy
Smelly cat...

You really saw almost everything!
Old February 5th, 2008, 07:11 PM   #28
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Almost, I'll have to go to Murska Sobota next time!!

I haven't been to the Logarska Dolina either and that is supposed to be very beautiful.
Old February 5th, 2008, 07:20 PM   #29
Mishevy
Smelly cat...

Can you believe it, I've never been to Murska Sobota You should contact me the next you're coming, so we can go together!
Old February 6th, 2008, 03:55 PM   #30
edolen1
Monkey business

I haven't been to Logarska dolina either, it's a bit far from here (Nova Gorica), although I have heard it's beautiful as well. Maybe we'll go there with Fern next time he visits.
Old February 6th, 2008, 08:29 PM   #31
Fern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
On the first trip I went in summer to Bled/Bohinj, Ljubljana and Piran/Portoroz. I also drove through places like Nova Gorica, Skofja Loka and the Soca Valley/Vrsic Pass. I also drove over the border for a bit into Croatia (Novigrad)

On the second trip I went skiing in February at Vogel, Kobla, Krvavec and Kranjska Gora and also visited Ljubljana, Maribor, Ptuj, Trzic, Radovljica, Kamnik, Slovenj Gradec, Velenje, Slovenska Bistrica, Postonja caves, Lake Cerknica, Novo Mesto, Metlika.

It's only a small country and it's pretty easy to drive around, the Slovenes are more sensible drivers than the Italians I think
Thats for sure, I cant remember seeing one single maniac on their roads.
You've gone on some very nice and lengthy trips, I wonder how many days it took you. Were you based in one location or did you hop from town to town?

I hope a certain someone will give me a similar opportunity when i next visit the country hehe
Old February 6th, 2008, 10:12 PM   #32
edolen1
Monkey business

That certain someone certainly will, hehe.
Old February 7th, 2008, 12:34 PM   #33
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern View Post
Thats for sure, I cant remember seeing one single maniac on their roads.
You've gone on some very nice and lengthy trips, I wonder how many days it took you. Were you based in one location or did you hop from town to town?
On the first trip we stayed with friends in Trieste for a couple of days, then camped in a tent at Lake Bled for two days, Ljubljana for three days and an apartment in Piran for the last two days.

For the second trip we stayed for a couple of nights in Ljubljana then rented an apartment for two weeks in Ribcev Laz, the village next to Lake Bohinj. We went skiing some days and drove to other parts of the country for day trips on non skiing days, it was great fun!!
Old February 8th, 2008, 02:49 AM   #34
Dziggy

Likes (Received): 1201

o da da!
Old February 13th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #35
Fern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
On the first trip we stayed with friends in Trieste for a couple of days, then camped in a tent at Lake Bled for two days, Ljubljana for three days and an apartment in Piran for the last two days.

For the second trip we stayed for a couple of nights in Ljubljana then rented an apartment for two weeks in Ribcev Laz, the village next to Lake Bohinj. We went skiing some days and drove to other parts of the country for day trips on non skiing days, it was great fun!!
You sure know how to treat yourself! My trips usually only last for a few days, a week when i go skiing cuz i dont have any family abroad and never go camping or stay in cheap places... But hopefully this summer i will go with some friends to austria for a few weeks for the euro 2008. They got a tent that holds up to 8 people and hopefully we'll have a good time and take the opportunity to visit the country's every corner!
How do u get so much time off btw?

@Dziggy- "Oh la la"

Last edited by Fern; February 13th, 2008 at 09:47 PM.
Fern no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 02:17 AM   #36
marsdenk

Likes (Received): 3

Fern, can you tell us what camera you used? thanks
marsdenk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 10:39 PM   #37
Fern

Nothing too flashy, just an average digital camera- Nikon Coolpix S4