daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Highrises

Highrises Discussions of projects under construction between 100-199m/300-649ft tall.
» Proposed Highrises

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 21st, 2010, 12:00 PM   #21
Elkhanan1

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Oh man, that would have been so awesome at 225m! But when you say "below skyscraper status" how short does that actually mean?
It means much shorter. But the view corridor up University Avenue toward Queen's Park is preserved.
Elkhanan1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2010, 09:01 PM   #22
Grey Towers

Likes (Received): 45

A lot shorter. Something like 120-140m is the latest proposal, if I recall. Why bother even tearing down Four Seasons for that?
Grey Towers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 10:34 PM   #23
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

As soon as we know the actual height of the new design I'll have it moved.
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 10:35 PM   #24
HipHopCanada
MicrophoneFiend

Likes (Received): 10

Too bad they have to resort to this, looking forward to a new rendering.
HipHopCanada no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 12:05 AM   #25
valantino
The Greatest

Likes (Received): 4

Jan 2010 plans

40 storey tower, 143 metres
28 storey "slab", 97 metres

more revisions to come
Old April 22nd, 2010, 11:41 PM   #26
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhanan1 View Post
It means much shorter. But the view corridor up University Avenue toward Queen's Park is preserved.
That's terrible. I was hoping I'd be able to see an urban backdrop behind Queen's Park. I can barely see One Bedford from University Avenue.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 11:48 PM   #27
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipHopCanada View Post
Too bad they have to resort to this, looking forward to a new rendering.
It's really frustrating. We'll probably have to wait a generation or two before we see the northern terminus of Queen's Park filled in properly. The people in charge of the approval process think they're in Ottawa, Washington, or Venice. The 225m proposal would have been awesome. One would have been able to see it all the way down from the Shangri-La at the other end of University Avenue. What a lost opportunity.

They'll retire eventually, and hopefully get replaced with people who have a more big north American city aesthetic bent.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; April 22nd, 2010 at 11:53 PM.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 10:44 PM   #28
Grey Towers

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
The 225m proposal would have been awesome.
I loved it too (kind of an ICE Midtown), although I have to admit that such tall towers would have looked out of place in that location. Personally, I find the Queen's Park sightlines irrelevant, but to plop a couple of huge towers down in an area where nothing else is anywhere near their size would have looked a little awkward.
Grey Towers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2010, 03:29 AM   #29
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Towers View Post
I loved it too (kind of an ICE Midtown), although I have to admit that such tall towers would have looked out of place in that location. Personally, I find the Queen's Park sightlines irrelevant, but to plop a couple of huge towers down in an area where nothing else is anywhere near their size would have looked a little awkward.
Neighbourhoods grow. Put these two 225 m towers there and then a couple years later a 180 m tower, then a 240 m tower, and it wouldn't look out of place. Now if that were 325 m tall, it would probably look over sized for the area for a long time.

The CN Tower is the only building I can think of in the core that was massively out of scale with the surroundings. 35 years later, and the city still hasn't grown up to meet it. This one would have been just about right.

Glad to hear that I'm not alone regarding the Queen's Park sight lines.

Old May 23rd, 2010, 07:44 AM   #30
urbandreamer
recession proof

Likes (Received): 0

It's approved--at 48 and 44s. Good enough. I can see it being launched later this year--after Menkes sells out nearby Pears on the Avenue?
Old May 23rd, 2010, 08:54 AM   #31
Ni3lS

Do you have any info on the new height?
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Old May 23rd, 2010, 09:03 AM   #32
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6445

I'd assume somewhere between 160-185m?

Has this street or area got height restrictions?
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 02:11 AM   #33
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
I'd assume somewhere between 160-185m?

Has this street or area got height restrictions?
Very severe height restrictions are in force here. To the west is an area called the Annex. It's a very old established leafy residential neighbourhood. What's more problematic to a certain group of Torontonians who currently hold sway at the municipal board is view corridors up University Avenue.

University Avenue 'terminates' at the Ontario Legislature then carries on north of it to Bloor. North of Bloor the street is called Avenue Road. 21 Avenue Road would sit just a block north of Avenue/Bloor and sits directly along the view corridor.

The current opinion is that the view corridor must feature sky as a bookend, not buildings. Any building built north of the Legislature must not be visible from south of the Legislature. This limits buildings to about 140 m.

Judging from discussions on here and urbantoronto, opinions seem rather split on whether sky is a suitable bookend for University Avenue. I'm of the opinion that a big north American city like Toronto should have it's grand boulevards bookended by large imposing buildings, not sky.

At 48 and 44 floors, they seem to have come to some middle ground which doesn't make sense either. At this height, these buildings will be visible from the south. If they're visible, why not do it properly and approve the original height of 225 m?

Now, neither side is happy. Sky as a bookend won't be maintained, but using adequately scaled buildings to bookend the view corridor isn't accomplished either.

Old May 25th, 2010, 04:33 AM   #34
sl64

Likes (Received): 0

Meh... I think all this hoopla about view corridors is nonsense. This isn't an overwhelmingly low-rise European city, where a highrise could very well seem out of place in a particular view. The view in any other direction from University south of College is full of highrises! I really don't understand what motivates people to try to preserve these views... so that we can have a few places with "postcard" views where we can pretend, for some reason, that the city isn't predominantly high-rise?

I would much prefer a backdrop of (well designed) buildings framing a view in the context of this city for the same reason as someone in a European city might, for example, want the opposite: just as a highrise would seem out of place in an older city, a lack of highrises seems out of place in Toronto.

With that said, the problem, really, is when just one building dominates the view, especially if that building sucks or is captured from its most unflattering angle (or both in the case of ROCP). The solution, in my mind, is more skyscrapers in the view.

Anyway... all this talk about preserving the views along University are pretty silly, considering how much of a mess the view going south is, and how thoroughly halfassed that whole visual terminus is.
sl64 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 10:34 PM   #35
htpwn

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Very severe height restrictions are in force here. To the west is an area called the Annex. It's a very old established leafy residential neighbourhood. What's more problematic to a certain group of Torontonians who currently hold sway at the municipal board is view corridors up University Avenue.

University Avenue 'terminates' at the Ontario Legislature then carries on north of it to Bloor. North of Bloor the street is called Avenue Road. 21 Avenue Road would sit just a block north of Avenue/Bloor and sits directly along the view corridor.

The current opinion is that the view corridor must feature sky as a bookend, not buildings. Any building built north of the Legislature must not be visible from south of the Legislature. This limits buildings to about 140 m.

Judging from discussions on here and urbantoronto, opinions seem rather split on whether sky is a suitable bookend for University Avenue. I'm of the opinion that a big north American city like Toronto should have it's grand boulevards bookended by large imposing buildings, not sky.

At 48 and 44 floors, they seem to have come to some middle ground which doesn't make sense either. At this height, these buildings will be visible from the south. If they're visible, why not do it properly and approve the original height of 225 m?

Now, neither side is happy. Sky as a bookend won't be maintained, but using adequately scaled buildings to bookend the view corridor isn't accomplished either.
After much thought and consideration, I agree with you to an extent about the backdrop.

If a cluster of skyscrapers can be built behind Queen's Park, I believe it probably could look better than sky. The key word, in my opinion at least, is cluster. Not one sitting on the right of University College like One Bedford, not a single building effectively and singlehandingly dwarfing the landmark like the Met Life Building in New York, but a cluster of buildings so there's a feeling that your in an urban center but its not overdoing it.

My opinion at least, for what its worth...
htpwn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 04:42 AM   #36
isaidso
the new republic

I agree with that. I don't think it's realistic or even preferable for a big growing city like Toronto to be stifled in this fashion. The city can respect view corridors, and accommodate its growth at the same time. It will just need to do so in a more imposing way than might have been imagined 100 years ago. One of the appealing qualities of Toronto's built form are the urban canyons and monolithic structures all over the downtown core. It's these juxtapositions that I find invigorating, not sky blue vistas.

Even the Champs Élysées is being book ended by a cluster at La Defense.

Old March 1st, 2012, 02:57 AM   #37
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 677

this has been downgraded to 35 floors. you can delete the thread if you want.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 03:21 AM   #38
Ni3lS

We can just edit the title and move it to the highrises section.. What should the new thread title look like?
Old March 1st, 2012, 03:23 AM   #39
isaidso
the new republic

I don't know of a replacement proposal yet, so it might be wise just to leave it till more information surfaces.

Old March 1st, 2012, 04:03 AM   #40
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 677

new proposal:

TORONTO YORKVILLE RESIDENCES 32fl-35fl ???m Proposed

Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
toronto, yorkville plaza