daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 5th, 2008, 07:59 AM   #1
pghpaints

Likes (Received): 0

Denver Colorado -- Baker Neighborhood

Here are some photos of Denver's Baker neighborhood that I took on a Sunday morning (Dec. 12 2007) in 17 degree (-8 for our international celsius fans) weather. The Baker neighborhood is about 1-2 miles south of downtown. The pics of the commercial area is South Broadway which forms the eastern boundary of the neighborhood. It was the proverbial Sunday morning so not many people out and about, plus did I mention it was 17 degrees. S Broadway is fairly lively during regular commercial and professional drinking hours however.

Going old school with the Pumpkins for this one:

History of Baker (from http://www.bakerneighborhood.org/ )
Referred to in the early 1800's as South Side or South Broadway, the land where the Baker neighborhood is located today was originally a 160‑acre tract homesteaded by William and Elizabeth Byers. Elizabeth's brother, Edward Sumner, and mountaineer James Beckwourth joined them for the trip to Denver. Armed with a printing press, John Dailei came along with the Byers, and shortly after arriving in Denver published the first issue of the Rocky Mountain News in 1859.

If you have ever wondered how Broadway was created, we have Thomas Skerritt to thank! Following the 1864 flood of Cherry Creek, he dragged a log behind his wagon to create a "broad way" into Denver!

Baker's first subdivisions were platted in 1872 but most development occurred following the annexation of South Side to Denver in 1883. Broadway's cable cars as well as the Circle Railroad system drew citizens to South Side.

Two of Denver's mayors were residents of South Side‑Marion D. Van Horn ('1893‑95) and Thomas S. McMurray (1895‑7,). Prominent women from the area include Sadie Likens (the first Police Matron of Denver,), Alice Polk Hill (Colorado's first Poet Laureate) and Mary Coyle Chase (writer of the Pulitzer*winning play Harvey).

Much of Baker's development was related to commercial and industrial growth. Denver's professional baseball team played at a ballpark at 6th Avenue and Broadway from 1893‑1922. What is now Denver Health Medical Center is located at the County Hospital site established in 1873 at West 6th Avenue and Bannock. Gradually, Broadway transitioned from residential to the commercial use we see today.

Besides housing the largest number of middle‑class Queen Anne homes in Denver, Baker boasts the Mayan Theatre, one of the most unique buildings in the city. Built in 1930 by architect Montana Fallis, the Mayan was constructed over the fire damaged Queen Theater. With a Pre‑Columbian theme, the theatre is one of a kind. Fortunately, it was saved from demolition in 1984 and fully restored by 1987. Today it is a recognized Denver Landmark and regularly shows independently produced films.

Baker was designated a Historic district in 1985 and continues to draw residents who love the charm of its history and the conveniences of its urban location.

‑Jennifer Collins

31 The Chihuahua was not too happy with the snow

33 Is Denver pedestrian friendly? Hell Yeah!

42 Nice lady -- I asked if i could take her pic, she says sure, caught a great look don't you think Sorry Nice Lady!

43 Another nice lady!

45 I didn't cut off the top, it was built like that

58 Basketball anyone?

59 Just how I like my used books -- Clean.

60 Dont Ask -- trying to be "artsy" . DID NOT SUCCEED.

64 see number 45

68 New Construction -- hate the garages

71 Beautiful derelict building -- hope it will be rehabbed

85 Love the Mayan

Last edited by pghpaints; February 5th, 2008 at 08:31 PM.
pghpaints no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 5th, 2008, 08:04 AM   #2
pghpaints

Could a mod please alter the title to be:

Denver Colorado -- Baker Neighborhood

I hit the return key by accident when i was entering the title. Thanks!
Old February 5th, 2008, 08:10 PM   #3
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12284

Done! And, your pictures are great!
Old February 5th, 2008, 08:24 PM   #4
pghpaints

^ Thank You!
Old February 5th, 2008, 10:25 PM   #5
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12284

Not at all! We don't see enough pictures of Denver, so it is exciting to get this batch!
Old February 6th, 2008, 08:40 AM   #6
Yankeebiscuitfan
Spring (Training) is here

Nice pics.

I only wonder what is so historic about this neighbourhood.
Yankeebiscuitfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 05:07 PM   #7
pghpaints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeebiscuitfan View Post
I only wonder what is so historic about this neighbourhood.
Well, everything is relative I guess. For the U.S. this neighborhood is quite old and for the city of Denver it is historic. Denver was only founded in the mid-1800's and many of the houses in the Baker neighborhood are from the late 1800's and early 1900's. As a general statement, I would say that the houses in this neighborhood are older than maybe 95% of the housing in the U.S.

Of course, compared to many other places around the world this neighborhood is not very old or historic. But for the U.S. in general and Denver in particular it is.