daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 18th, 2016, 09:59 PM   #361
Theijs

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsimi80 View Post
First travel in Bezina valley. <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYdjSLRNTlY">YouTube Link</a>
Is this a new laid track or even new laid line?
Theijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2016, 11:28 AM   #362
Fron

Likes (Received): 1434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theijs View Post
Is this a new laid track or even new laid line?
This is a complete reconstruction of a longtime abandoned narrow gauge forestry railway line between Márianosztra - Nagyírtás in the Duna-Ipoly National Park.
Fron no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2016, 05:24 PM   #363
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26129

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/n...ip-change.html

Budapest suburban line ownership change
24 Feb 2016

HUNGARY: Budapest Mayor István Tarlós and Minister of National Development Miklós Seszták have agreed that national rail operator MÁV is to take over operation of all HÉV suburban lines that run beyond the city boundary. This will follow the government taking over all operating costs of these lines, currently financed by Budapest municipality.

HÉV lines H5, H6, H7, H8 and H9 are currently operated by city transport operator BKV. The city is no longer able to receive EU funds to replace ageing HÉV rolling stock during the 2014-20 EU budget period, whereas MÁV would be able to invest in fleet replacement. Managing director of Stadler’s Szolnok plant Zoltán Dunai has said that the company could develop an EMU from its Flirt family for use on HÉV lines

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

mrsmartman liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2016, 09:11 PM   #364
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 385

Budapest Déli station to close?

dimlys1994 liked this post
TedStriker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2016, 09:59 AM   #365
Mariwa

Likes (Received): 73

Senior citizen discount

Hi ! Is any MAV ticket discount for senior citizens applicable ?
Old April 17th, 2016, 02:21 PM   #366
eu01

Likes (Received): 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariwa View Post
Hi ! Is any MAV ticket discount for senior citizens applicable ?
Retired (citizens from EU countries over 65 years) can travel free except on InterCity and fast trains where the extra fee (reservation) must be paid.
Old April 22nd, 2016, 04:23 PM   #367
Mariwa

I plan visit Hungarian narrow gauge railways this summer. Unfortunately KBK narrowgauge.hu webpage isn't updated. May somebody advice me which narrow gauge railways are still in operation ?
Old May 16th, 2016, 03:59 PM   #368
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6769

Some photos from the Hungarian Railways (and not only).

Budapest Keleti station:

I took the IC204 Rippl-Ronai:

On the Koprivnica station a group of waggons from Osijek was added - constituing the R782 train. And the Hungarian boards with the train route are in color and, from what I remember, they are laminated A4 paper sheets, the Croatian boards are just black and white pieces of paper printed on a laser printer, each of them used for as many as 4 trains (the photo is from the rear side, hence the wrong train):

I know it's a Hungarian thread, but it was basically a train from Zagreb to Budapest, so it's difficult to avoid Croatian issues here.

The next train I took - back to Budapest - was IC201 Agram.

The Croatian waggons to Budapest (again Croatian railways, but it's a train to Budapest; I have posted the same photos also in the Croatian thread):

The Drava river - the border of Croatia and Hungary:

The famous fence, built by Hungarians to stop the immigrants/refugees invasion:

Observation towers - and a Hungarian overhead line pylon. Green, as the whole railway energy infrastructure in Hungary (they paint green even the transformers):

German cargo waggons - somewhere in Hungary near the border with Croatia:

Gyekenyes - goodbye to the Croatian locomotive:

Meanwhile, the Hungarian waggons without compartments were attached - the train goes through some touristic towns at the Balaton lake:

Longer stay at one of the stations - some manouvers were performed there, perhaps they were attaching yet some waggons there, or changing the drive direction, I dont remember the detais:

And so did I return to Budapest.

I have posted some photos from Budapest in the city transport thread. From Budapest I went to Cluj-Napoca in Romania.

Again the Keleti station (I got from Zagreb to the Deli station, but I don't have any photos from there, Deli is a station in the 1970's style).

It seems that not until a long time ago there were ticket controls before entering the platform in Budapest - however, it's no longer so now, what remained is the signs:

One of the MAV locomotives:

I took the IC407 Corona:

The Hungarian train route boards are double-sided and show exactly the same from both sides. They are, however, same as in Croatia, universal, and one board is used for four trains. It can be seen here that it's a laminated A4 sheet, as I supposed. Here it's a more readible version:

It's popular in these areas to place an old steam locomotive at a train station as a sort of monument:

Almost each bigger station has such a locomotive.

The train - in the part with the seating 2nd class places - was operated with Hungarian waggons without compartments only. A stop on one of the stations and a change of the locomotive:

We exchanged locomotives with the same train going in the opposite direction. The whole procedure was quite fast.

The mentioned cars are German waggons from Bautzen:

The map of the international trains from Hungary:

At the Biharkeresztes (pronounce Biharkerestesh) we say goodbye to the Hungarian train staff and to the Hungarian locomotive. From this moment we are pulled by the diesel engine of the Romanian railways CFR. Between Biharkeresztes and Episcopia Bihor (the first station in Romania) there was a ticket control. Unfortunately it got dark, so it's the end with photos.

Yet the Episcopia Bihor station and almost invisible Romanian waggons:

And a bonus. In the Budapest-Romania train I have noticed such weird tickets, left probably by one of the passengers:

I haven't taken them, assuming that maybe their owner had left them by accident, going to the bathroom only. But I wonder, what's that. Does anyone have any idea?

This is the end of the report from Hungary. Yet the tickets used, and other documents (connected with ticket return in Hungary).

The Budapest-Zagreb-Budapest ticket, online one - but it had to be received in a ticket machine:

The Budapest-Cluj Napoca ticket. The one which was left from the cheaper offer. And unused. I had overslept and I missed the train. While the ticket is tied with the specific train and it's impossible to return it:

In Hungary, you can get such a printed ticket only by buying it online and receiving it in a ticket machine (maybe it's also possible if you buy a domestic ticket in a ticket machine directly, but it's the only maybe-possible alternative). The international tickets from the ticket counter are issued manually, the domestic ones have a format of a shopping receipt. Printed on thermal paper. It's not easy to notice that it's a train ticket.

The return confirmation of a Hungarian domestic ticket:

and of a Hungarian international ticket (basically looks identically):

They have a lot of papers to fill in when you return a ticket. I have once returned a train ticket of the Przewozy Regionalne in Poland and it was there so that I just returned the ticket (because I missed the train, I was buying the ticket at the last moment) and I got the money back. Even the cashier suggested to me that I can return the ticket if I want, if the train has already departed. In Hungary it took much time before the cashier filled in all the needed documents.

It seems that, officialy, an MAV ticket can be returned only before the beginning of its validity period. I managed to return a ticket in the first day of its validity - but this was treated as a complaint, and the money returned only after some time, to my bank account. And, first, the MAV contacted me by email, because they didn't really know what I wanted from them.

The complaint form:

They attached a photocopy of the returned ticket to it:

And this is the Hungarian hand-issued international ticket from a ticket counter, with which I finally managed to take a train:

And to complete this stuff, a Romanian online ticket (I know it's a wrong thread, but I describe a single trip), also unused and not returned:

Last edited by Kpc21; May 16th, 2016 at 06:41 PM.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2016, 04:54 PM   #369
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

Oh, please! Some basic rules about picture posting:
1) limit yourself to a small number, 6 or so
2) do not post unfocused pictures, repeat pictures of the same motif etc.
3) add small captions in English, as the point of what you show will be lost on all but the Polish-speakers
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2016, 05:58 PM   #370
Kpc21

Well, I have seen quoting posts with photos in other languages many times on this forum and nobody was complaining about that. I have done it before for a few times as well, and everything was OK. It's difficult to post a focused picture when I have only an unfocused one and want to share it for some reasons. Also, I can mention many threads with people posting tens of photos without any comments at once, and it's perfectly OK, other users are happy with that.

I will add captions in English.

VITORIA MAN liked this post
Old May 16th, 2016, 08:43 PM   #371
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

Likes (Received): 13997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariwa View Post
I plan visit Hungarian narrow gauge railways this summer. Unfortunately KBK narrowgauge.hu webpage isn't updated. May somebody advice me which narrow gauge railways are still in operation ?
Sorry I haven't noticed this post. The lines currently in operation can be found in:
-Almamellék (Baranya county)
-Balatonfenyves (Somogy county)
-Budapest Children's Railway
-Csömödér (Zala county)
-Debrecen amusement park (Hajdú-Bihar county)
-Debrecen "Zsuzsi" railway (Hajdú-Bihar county)
-Felcsút (Fejér county)
-Felsőtárkány (Heves county)
-Gemenc (Tolna county)
-Gyöngyös (Heves county)
-Hortobágy (Hajdú-Bihar county)
-Kaszó (Somogy county)
-Kemence (Pest county)
-Királyrét (Pest county)
-Lillafüred (Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén county)
-Mesztegnyő (somogy county)
-Nagybörzsöny* (Pest county)
-Nagycenk (Győr-Moson-Sopron county)
-Pálháza (Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén county)
-Pécs (Baranya county)
-Szilvásvárad (Heves county)
-Szob* (Pest county)

*These two have been recently connected

There is also a narrow gauge railway used at the fish farming ponds at Csanytelek (Csongrád county) and another one near Szeged at Fehér tó (Csongrád county).

The most recently closed narrow gauge railways are the ones that had their termini in Kecskemét and Nyíregyháza and the one in Tiszakécske.

Please note that some narrow gauge railways can be referred to with more than one name. E.g. the one starting from Gyöngyös is often called "Mátravasút" (Railway of the Mátra mountains).

Emperor of Bir Tawil and the Nbcee farmlands
Demigod of DLM
nbcee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2016, 01:41 PM   #372
Mariwa

Thanks a lot !!!
Old May 18th, 2016, 01:47 PM   #373
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

Likes (Received): 13997

I've wrote a bit about the subject here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbcee View Post
Time for some small talk - the Hungarian narrow gauge railways.

Once these constituted a much more extensive system. Narrow gauge railways were used in various parts of the country to transport goods (wood, fish, minerals, etc). Nowadays most of these are just tourist atttractions.

Today we have 21 narrow gauge lines in operation with passenger service and three additional lines still carry freight. Most of the lines use Hungarian-bult C-50 or Mk-48 engines with some exceptions, most notably the Children's railway in Budapest which mainly uses Romanian-built Mk-45 engines. Most of these line have a gauge of 760 mm with the exceptions of Almamellék and Kemence which have 600 mm.

This map shows the lines operating in 2004.:

http://vasutikozlekedes.hu/?q=kisvas...-civil-szemmel

Please note that since this map was made both the MÁV-run narrow gauge railways around Kecskemét and Nyíregyháza and the children's railway in Tiszakécske were shut down in 2009.

One of the last narrow gauge trains leaving Kecskemét in 2009 (Bács-Kiskun county)

http://iho.hu/hir/folytassa-kecskemet

And since I mentioned it earlier, the Children's Railway in Budapest is alive and kickin' and most of it's staff still constitutes of schoolchildren (except for the "drive the engine part" )

http://www.pestiest.hu/cikk/83623/le...gyermekvasutas

You can find the highest concentration of narrow gauge railways in the Börzsöny mountains (mostly in Pest county) where no less than four of these railways operate today - and where you can find this (partially) solar-powered railcar:

http://www.femcafe.hu/cikkek/vilag/n...uj-motorvonata

The newest addition to the list of passanger carrier narrow gauge lines is the railway in Hortobágy (hajdú-Bihar county) - it's main purpose is to show the wildife to the visitors of the local National Park. (Kinda like the one in the Gemenc forest, Tolna county)

http://www.programturizmus.hu/ajanla...-kisvasut.html

And there's also the Széchenyi Museum Railway of Nagycenk (Győr-Moson-Sopron county):

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...chenyibahn.jpg

The longest narrow gauge system award goes to Csömödér (Zala county):

http://www.kisvasut.hu/view_cikk.php?id=2559

And last but not least my two personal favorites, which IMO can show passangers the most scenic views. Both of them are in the Bükk mountains, namely they are the railway of Lillafüred (Borsod-Abaúj-zemplén county)...

http://www.minalunk.hu/mor/index.php...15741&area=524

... and Szilvásvárad (Heves county):

http://aktivpihenes.network.hu/kepek...varad/kisvasut

p.s.: I couldn't resist to mention Kemence (Pest county) too which had been restored and is still operated by volunteers:

http://www.kisvasut.hu/view_cikk.php?id=1369
Also you can check this link:
http://www.dunaszeg.hu/useruploads/o.../msikoldal.jpg
(again, minus the ones at Kecskemét, Nyíregyháza and Tiszakécske, but plus the one in Felcsút and the connection between the Szob and Nagybörzsöny narrow gauge railways)

Emperor of Bir Tawil and the Nbcee farmlands
Demigod of DLM

mrsmartman liked this post
nbcee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2016, 01:55 PM   #374
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
Well, I have seen quoting posts with photos in other languages many times on this forum and nobody was complaining about that. I have done it before for a few times as well, and everything was OK. It's difficult to post a focused picture when I have only an unfocused one and want to share it for some reasons. Also, I can mention many threads with people posting tens of photos without any comments at once, and it's perfectly OK, other users are happy with that.

I will add captions in English.
Thanks a lot! It just makes it easier to understand the story you are trying to tell us. And don't get me wrong, you could have left the Polish captions on too, that would not have disturbed anybody.

Kpc21 liked this post
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2016, 11:14 PM   #375
Kpc21

The Polish captions are still in the Polish thread about the Hungarian railway, so nothing has been lost
Old May 30th, 2016, 08:45 PM   #376
Robi_damian

Likes (Received): 9985

Hungary sets rail investment priorities

Quote:
THE Hungarian government finalised the 2016 budget on May 23 for the Integrated Programme for Transport (IKOP), which is 85% financed by the EU, and allocates a total of Forints 1216bn ($US 4.3bn) to transport projects including Forints 790bn for mainline and urban rail projects.

Rail projects to receive funding, which are classified as high-priority projects, include electrification and upgrading of the Szombathely - Nagykanizsa line (the first phase of which is already underway), together with modernisation of the Vámosgyörk - Mezőnyárád section of the Budapest -Miskolc line, the Szántód - Balatonszentgyörgy section of the Budapest - Nagykanizsa line, the Püspökladány - Apafa section of the Budapest - Debrecen - Záhony line, and the Debrecen - Mátészalka line.

Electrification projects include:
•Püspökladány - Biharkeresztes
•Szeged - Hódmezővásárhely - Gyula
•Mezőzomor - Sátoraljaújhely, and
•Szabadbattyán - Aszófő (Budapest - Tapolca line).

Modernisation of the Budapest - Esztergom line will continue with electrification of the entire route and reconstruction the section between Rákosrendező and Angyalföld, partially on a new alignment, with track-doubling planned for the Angyalföld - Újpest stretch.

The rollout of ETCS Level 2 will continue with the extension of the system to the Bajánsenye - Boba, Ferencváros - Lőkösháza, Ferencváros - Székesfehérvár, Sopron - Szombathely - Szentgotthárd and Szajol - Debrecen - Apafa lines.

Other IKOP projects include rebuilding Székesfehérvár and Szombathely stations and several stations along the shores of Lake Balaton.

National passenger operator MÁV-Start will receive a further 15 EMUs, each with capacity for 200 passengers, while a tender will be launched for 30 new EMUs with a capacity of 300-600 passengers, which could be double-deck trains. Györ-Sopron-Ebenfurth Railway (GySEV) will also receive funding for 10 new EMUs through the programme.

Among the urban rail projects set to benefit from IKOP, the Szeged - Hódmezővásárhely tram-train project is regarded as high-priority, with funding allocated for infrastructure and vehicles. In Budapest, tram Line 1 will be extended from both termini, metro Line 3 will be upgraded and a further 22 CAF trams will be ordered.

Intermodal public transport centres will be developed at stations in Debrecen, Nyíregyháza, Kaposvár, Miskolc, Székesfehérvár and Tatabánya.
Source

dimlys1994, Dusko_BG liked this post
Robi_damian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2016, 05:24 PM   #377
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26129

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=537

Budapest Déli station reprieved
Tuesday, August 23, 2016

FOLLOWING considerable public opposition, the Hungarian government has abandoned a proposal tabled earlier this year to close the terminus station at Budapest Déli and divert services to the city’s other main stations, Kelenföld and Keleti

The closure proposals were drawn up with the aim of increasing green space in this part of the city, but following negotiations with Hungarian State Railways (MÁV), the government has now decided that Déli is vital to the future of the capital’s rail network. Only activities that are not directly required to operate passenger services will now be removed from the site

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

Tĺgälskaren liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2016, 01:22 PM   #378
jonasry

Likes (Received): 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
From Rail Journal:
Budapest Dčli is a good example of modernist architecture station, completed in 1975. Even if I remember it is quite shabby last time I visited. Here's how it looks on Google Street View.

Renovating it and creating a proper pedestrian square in front of it could bring a lot of greenery to the area.

Tĺgälskaren, dimlys1994 liked this post
jonasry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2016, 12:05 AM   #379
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 385

Stopping people using Deli as a toilet would be a great help.
TedStriker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2016, 03:43 PM   #380
Qtya
sensational

Likes (Received): 9378

Hungarian GYSEV ordered 10 new generation FLIRT trains from Stadler

Hungarian regional operator GYSEV Zrt. and Stadler signed a contract for the delivery of 10 four-car FLIRT type electric multiple units for regional operation. The first vehicles are expected to start service in 2018 in Western Hungary. With the current and earlier orders GYSEV will possess a fleet consisting of altogether 20 state-of-the-art FLIRT units.

GYSEV Zrt. issued an open public procurement for 10 low-floor electric multiple units in April this year. Manufacturers could apply until June, the winner of the procurement was Stadler Consortium formed by Stadler Polska Sp. z o.o. and Stadler Bussnang AG, the Polish and Swiss subsidiaries of the group. According to the delivery contract, the first train will be delivered in March 2018 while the last one is due to arrive until January 2019. Between 2013 and 2015 the railway operator purchased already 10 EMUs from Stadler within the frames of two separate public procurements, which means that with this order GYSEV expands its fleet to a total number of 20 FLIRT trains. The existing fleet is currently operating on the SopronSzombathely-Szentgotthárd, Sopron-Győr and the Szombathely-Rajka lines.

The new vehicles for Gysev already meet the requirements of the newest TSI (technical specification for interoperability) standards of the European Railway Agency, and also suit the latest Crash (EN 15227) collision norms, providing more safety to the loc driver. During the development of the third generation, Stadler’s engineers put special emphasis on low energy consumption, and maintenance friendly design was also an important aspect.

The new vehicles are 2.8 m longer than the first generation models, giving room for another classic toilet in addition to the one which meets TSI PRM standards for people with reduced mobility. The 77.1 m long and 2.82 m wide four-car EMUs have altogether 208 seats (194 fixed and 14 folding). Their maximum speed is 160 km/h, while their acceleration capacity is 1.2 m/s2 which means they will be able to speed up from 0 to 120 km/h in not more than only 39 seconds. The new generation FLIRTs also feature spacious, multifunctional boarding areas that enable rapid passenger exchange. Thanks to the multifunctional areas and the 90% low-floor share, the vehicles are easily approachable by passengers with wheelchairs, bicycles and strollers. Meeting the requirements of today’s standards, the vehicles are provided with air-conditioner, camera system, WIFI, charging facilities for electronic devices, as well as box seats suitable for regional transport.

A large portion of GYSEV’s order is to be fulfilled in Hungary, all of the 40 carbodies will be manufactured in Stadler’s factory located in Szolnok. Due to the latest investments, not only the carbodies but also the bogies can completely be produced in Hungary. Similarly to the earlier GYSEV orders, final assembly of the new trains will also take place in Stadler’s plant in Poland, Siedlce. The new EMUs will also be able to operate in synchronous operation not only with each other, but also with the earlier purchased FLIRT models. The possibility of double or triple traction operation brings significant economic benefits to GYSEV. The project’s value is 68.45 million EUR and is financed entirely from EU funds.

FLIRT is the most successful product of Stadler; the members of the vehicle family can be deployed on regional, commuter or intercity lines too. Stadler has already sold more than 1300 units in a total of 17 countries worldwide. With this order Stadler won orders for altogether 143 FLIRT units in Hungary, 123 for MÁV Zrt. and 20 for GYSEV Zrt.

https://wwwstadlerrailcom-live-01e96...g_gysev_en.pdf

II. János Pál pápa

Trucker1991, dimlys1994, Kpc21 liked this post
Qtya no está en línea   Reply With Quote