daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Highrises

Highrises Discussions of projects under construction between 100-199m/300-649ft tall.
» Proposed Highrises

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 21st, 2011, 09:56 AM   #41
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

As it is today

image hosted on flickr

Domino Sugar Factory - Brooklyn - New York City by Vivienne Gucwa, on Flickr

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 21st, 2011, 10:00 AM   #42
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

I hate the fact that all the new skyscraper, in Brooklyn have this look. I wish they had more style.

kingsc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 08:22 PM   #43
babybackribs2314

Likes (Received): 545

Post I made on this & the other new projects that will be redefining the WBurg skyline,

http://newyorkyimby.blogspot.com/201...rg-rising.html

Quote:
As of late 2011, there are three major projects slated to begin relatively soon along the Williamsburg waterfront. In order of size, they are the Domino Sugar Factory redevelopment (2200 units), the Rose Plaza development (800 units), and the third tower of Northside Piers (500 units). Encompassing a grand total of roughly 3,500 units, these new residential buildings will certainly inject a much-needed dose of energy and vitality into the Williamsburg waterfront.

babybackribs2314 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2011, 01:43 AM   #44
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Curbed

Quote:
Williamsburg Group Proposes Arts Center, Gallery-Condo for New Domino

It's been awfully quiet at the Domino Sugar Factory lately, which can only mean one thing: time for the community groups to swoop back in! The current $2 billion project encompasses 2,200 new units designed by architect Rafael Vińoly, plus a Beyer Blinder Belle-designed addition to three landmarked buildings collectively referred to as "The Refinery," all of which has been greenlit by LPC and the city's planning commission. As Architectural Record reported in September, however, developers Community Preservation Corporation Resources (CPCR) and Katan Group are "in search of additional investors" before construction begins in 2012.

----------------

Old November 3rd, 2011, 03:57 AM   #45
sweet-d

Likes (Received): 265

well it looks okay good for Brooklyn. hopefully they find those "additional investors" fast so this thing can start rising.

sweet-d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 09:13 AM   #46
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Big Changes coming?

Domino Factory Site Up For Sale

Quote:
The Domino Sugar factory is for sale a little more than a year after the development team that controls the 11-acre site that the landmark building sits on won a hard fought battle in the City Council and the Department of City Planning to erect a series of mixed use towers on the large waterfront parcel.

According to several people with knowledge of the offering, the Community Preservation Corporation and partner, the Katan Group, have been shopping all or portions of the potentially $2 billion multi-building development to potential buyers.

The sales offer comes as little surprise to people familiar with the CPC, which specializes in building affordable housing. In 2010, the company came up with a plan to erect two towers up to 34-stories and two more that would be as high as 30-stories apiece, while preserving the site’s landmarked Domino Sugar factory, a derelict brick building famous for its large Domino logo and for the way its profile typifies Williamsburg’s industrial aesthetic.

The company’s vision included 2,200 residential units, 660 of which would be affordable.
Probably a total redesign with rental units instead of condos coming...

Old March 13th, 2012, 09:45 AM   #47
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

YESSSSS Great news! The Domino Sugar Plant is an eyesore, but with a renovation it could become a beautiful icon! I'd love to see the whole Queens-Brooklyn waterfront get developed over time, I say 30 years and there will be very little that isn't filled with highrises in both boroughs along the east river.

royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 09:52 AM   #48
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Fantastic right, highrises from Jersey City trough Manhattan to Brooklyn.

tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 10:15 AM   #49
royal rose1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1807 View Post
Fantastic right, highrises from Jersey City trough Manhattan to Brooklyn.
Long Island City Queens is also getting built up extremely quickly! It's seeing arguably the fastest development in NYC for a neighborhood. Right now there are 2 skyscrapers being built in Jersey City, Midtown is bursting from the seems, downtown is as well, Brooklyn is on fire with development downtown, now Williamsburg is starting up too, Queens is going all over Long Island City, we are seeing a revolution for New York City! A new skyscraper boom, perhaps the beginning of something revolutionary for New York! It's impossible to walk 10 blocks in Manhattan (below 95th of course) and not see something being built, it's extraordinary. Not to mention Manhattanville is about to be dominated with new construction by Columbia, Washington Square Park area is going to get dominated by NYU, and Roosevelt Island is getting it's new high tech campus.

Old March 13th, 2012, 10:40 AM   #50
kingsc

that would be a waste of the waterfront.

Old March 13th, 2012, 11:55 AM   #51
babybackribs2314

Likes (Received): 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
Hunter's Point...? It's adjacent to LIC... while LIC has two u/c projects right now, there should be 2-3 more joining those before the year is out. Downtown Brooklyn's skyline is also getting 2-3 new buildings (each one taller than the previous tallest).

This is all as construction is barely lukewarm and we're just coming out of the recession... I don't want some kind of speculative boom like Dubai or Miami saw in the mid 2000s, but if construction resumes at its pre-crash pace (and it should, given pressure towards urbanization has become much more significant since/because of the Great Recession), the amount of space being built in NYC ~2015 is going to be ridiculous.

babybackribs2314 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 07:43 PM   #52
dexter2
Pijcie portera z BŁ!

Likes (Received): 18901

Awesome project! With respect for history

Bo gdzie byś nie był i jak by cię nie przyjęli
Nigdy nie będziesz się czuł jak na Obiecanej Ziemi

Łódź - Remonty kamienic i zabytków - 2010, 2011, 2012
Łódzkie absurdy drogowe - ŁAD na Facebooku!

NYC & EastCoast USA!

dexter2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 10:15 PM   #53
royal rose1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
How? By that you imply that Long Island City is a waste of waterfront, when it is obvious, at least to me, that the development in Long Island City has DRASTICALLY improved the area. Just go to the opposite side of the Queensboro bridge and look at the collapsing, decrepit waterfront next to the housing projects. Developing the whole waterfront would only benefit the city. IN fact, I think a universally connected waterfront from Brooklyn to Queens would be amazing.

Plus there's enough waterfront in the Bronx for your NIMBY attitude. When you want undeveloped waterfront just go to Pelham Bay Park.

Old March 13th, 2012, 10:19 PM   #54
royal rose1

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
Hunter's Point...? It's adjacent to LIC... while LIC has two u/c projects right now, there should be 2-3 more joining those before the year is out. Downtown Brooklyn's skyline is also getting 2-3 new buildings (each one taller than the previous tallest).

This is all as construction is barely lukewarm and we're just coming out of the recession... I don't want some kind of speculative boom like Dubai or Miami saw in the mid 2000s, but if construction resumes at its pre-crash pace (and it should, given pressure towards urbanization has become much more significant since/because of the Great Recession), the amount of space being built in NYC ~2015 is going to be ridiculous.
It isn't so speculative though, NYC is a city of 8 million with thousands, perhaps millions more who temporarily reside in the city. The fact is NYC actually NEEDS new buildings. Also remember the majority of buildings in the city are 50 years or older, so new buildings are part of the necessary cycle for the city. And mostly, NYC needs to catch up with lost development from the recession, which I'm sure it will do. What I long for is more office towers, especially downtown. Downtown is dominated by new condo buildings and extremely old office towers. Can we just zone all of Chinatown for office development? haha

Old March 14th, 2012, 02:01 AM   #55
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rose1 View Post
It isn't so speculative though, NYC is a city of 8 million with thousands, perhaps millions more who temporarily reside in the city. The fact is NYC actually NEEDS new buildings. Also remember the majority of buildings in the city are 50 years or older, so new buildings are part of the necessary cycle for the city. And mostly, NYC needs to catch up with lost development from the recession, which I'm sure it will do. What I long for is more office towers, especially downtown. Downtown is dominated by new condo buildings and extremely old office towers. Can we just zone all of Chinatown for office development? haha
Almost 90% of Manhattan's commercial real estate predates 1970, and commercial space is usually replaced every 30-40 years, depending on the economy, so NY is overdue for a wave of new office buildings.

For residential, the city is growing incredibly fast for a city as dense as NY. It really snowballs. As more people move to NY, tax revenue increases, so schools get better, public safety gets better, the city can spend more on parks and general beautification projects. If the national economy continues to improve, the amount of development going on in NY in 2 years or so is going to be utterly embarrassing.

Anyways, I've always loved that old Domino building even in its current state of neglect. Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

yankeesfan1000 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 07:22 AM   #56
kingsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rose1 View Post
How? By that you imply that Long Island City is a waste of waterfront, when it is obvious, at least to me, that the development in Long Island City has DRASTICALLY improved the area. Just go to the opposite side of the Queensboro bridge and look at the collapsing, decrepit waterfront next to the housing projects. Developing the whole waterfront would only benefit the city. IN fact, I think a universally connected waterfront from Brooklyn to Queens would be amazing.

Plus there's enough waterfront in the Bronx for your NIMBY attitude. When you want undeveloped waterfront just go to Pelham Bay Park.
I'm taking about office towers on the waterfront

Old March 14th, 2012, 09:37 AM   #57
Bricken Ridge

Likes (Received): 15

Great project. It's nice that they are incorporating the old factory building in the plan. It reminds me of the Distillery in Toronto.

Bricken Ridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 07:53 PM   #58
dexter2
Pijcie portera z BŁ!

Likes (Received): 18901

Bricken Ridge - Is that a Micro Class you have in your avatar? Sorry for offtopic, but I already made my point about this project.

Bo gdzie byś nie był i jak by cię nie przyjęli
Nigdy nie będziesz się czuł jak na Obiecanej Ziemi

Łódź - Remonty kamienic i zabytków - 2010, 2011, 2012
Łódzkie absurdy drogowe - ŁAD na Facebooku!

NYC & EastCoast USA!

dexter2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 04:08 AM   #59
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

The Tragic Tale Of The Non-Profit That Lost Its Shirt At The Domino Plant

Original Domino Sugar plan

Quote:
In 2004, C.P.C. Resources bought an 11-acre parcel on the Brooklyn waterfront where a Domino sugar refinery once stood. The $1.4 billion project was supposed to convert the refinery into 2,200 apartments, a mix of luxury and subsidized units. But it repeatedly ran into delays before obtaining government approval in 2010. Last month, C.P.C. Resources defaulted on its $125 million New Domino loan.

Community Preservation also provided a $23 million loan for a luxury condo project called Metroplex on the waterfront in Rockaway, Queens. The 126 apartments had balconies with ocean views, oak floors, Jacuzzis and a gym, but when the project opened, not a single one sold.

Some of the projects had government subsidies that made them affordable to families earning $90,000 to $140,000 a year. But while there is a constant demand for affordable rental housing in the New York region, the market for even subsidized condos, which can take three years to develop, died with the recession.

Late last year, with more than $150 million in loans in default and Community Preservation in crisis, its board and the commercial banks that support it forced Mr. Lappin, 68, into retirement. Nearly two-thirds of the condo loans were delinquent, according to the nonprofit group’s records. Community Preservation also closed offices in New Jersey and Connecticut, cut salaries for senior executives by 45 percent and dismissed 40 percent of its staff.

Old March 19th, 2012, 10:03 PM   #60
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Drama!

Someone even made a new documentary about this whole mishegoss:

Quote:
The documentary "The Domino Effect" may be the greatest beneficiary of the problems that Williamsburg's "New Domino" redevelopment project have encountered, including the near collapse of the Community Preservation Corp. The feature length documentary's creators write that the film "digs deep to uncover the complex networks of banks, developers, politicians, and non-profit organization that shape our cities." Regular readers of Curbed NY know that one doesn't have to dig very deep to uncover this information. Politicians, developers, and banks tend to be fairly unapologetic and public about development plans. "The Domino Effect" holds that projects like "New Domino" are responsible for the loss of industrial jobs and the displacement of communities. Now that the site developer, Community Preservation Corp., defaulted on a $120 million loan this month, the filmmakers may have a new surprise ending as they are finishing up their film.

Last edited by desertpunk; March 20th, 2012 at 03:03 AM.

Tags
brooklyn, domino sugar, east river, new york, williamsburg