daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old January 21st, 2013, 11:38 AM   #421
Trances
, , and , Fade to Black.

Likes (Received): 18

I hope that residential aspect is better planned and increased.

szczupak01 liked this post
Trances no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 21st, 2013, 09:31 PM   #422
CroydonTown

Likes (Received): 44

On another note, I saw from the tram that refurbishment work has started at Prospect West (a large office building adjacent to West Croydon Station). It's been vacant for quite a while, so hopefully the refurb will encourage some new tenants!
CroydonTown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2013, 11:47 PM   #423
csk

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroydonTown View Post
On another note, I saw from the tram that refurbishment work has started at Prospect West (a large office building adjacent to West Croydon Station). It's been vacant for quite a while, so hopefully the refurb will encourage some new tenants!
This is indeed very true, see the below link for more info and a few cgi pics of what it will look like when finished:

http://www.interchangecroydon.co.uk/index2.html#

Along with Saffron Square which is coming along well, it should really tidy up this end of the Wellesley Road!
Old February 9th, 2013, 01:37 PM   #424
neuphin

Likes (Received): 13

Plans submitted for first phase of Ruskin Square

Planning application here: 13/00334/RES

Looks quite promissing - reminds me a bit of Rubicon Court at Kings Cross.
neuphin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2013, 02:36 PM   #425
csk

Likes (Received): 21

It looks really nice, looking forward to them starting construction very soon, I believe they propose to start on site in April along with the associated public realm. Croydon Council will also start at the same time on upgrading the public realm around Dingwall Road to complement this new development, so all in all, that part of town should look significantly better by the end of the summer!

In addition to this, L&G have now received full planning consent for their Nestle Tower redevelopment, http://www.costar.co.uk/en/assets/ne...eover-consent/, I was in town yesterday and they have already started gutting the building, and scaffolding has been erected around the plinth at the base of the building, all encouraging signs!

As well as the Ruskin Square residential first phase being awarded money from the homes and communities agency, a stalled development on Scarbrook Road has also been awarded some cash, so we should expect to see them start work imminently, as they already have full planning permission, and have recently submitted documentation to Croydon Council on a delivery strategy for how vehicles will arrive on site during construction etc, http://www.thisiscroydontoday.co.uk/...#axzz2KLeh1kHP

The Westfield/Hammerson outline planning application is now available to view on Croydon Council's website as well, http://planning.croydon.gov.uk/DCWeb...stemkey=133490

And finally, Tesco Express is now open at Saffron Square Croydon, and the opening of the square along with the first residents moving in should take place before the end of this month. All in all, things are really moving forward in Croydon now, at very long last!
Old February 10th, 2013, 12:37 PM   #426
CroydonTown

Likes (Received): 44

All looks very promising - the Ruskin Square scheme actually looks taller than I thought it would one I heard it was going in for a redesign. Hope they crack on with it, as the hoardings down George Street are really beginning to bug me!
CroydonTown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2013, 05:06 PM   #427
neuphin

Wow, certainly is promissing, looks as though there will be a few projects on the go then in a little while -fingers crossed.
I didn't realise Saffron Square had moved on so far in the time I've been away, though I suppose it makes sense.
Old February 14th, 2013, 05:08 PM   #428
Rational Plan

Likes (Received): 218

A few images from the Whitgift plan. Not much to look at really. a typical modern luxury mall with really big shop units. Some thought seems to be given to Urban integration though.

Should not have much problems going through planning as it is only slightly larger than retail space it replaces. But Croydon will get a 14 screen cinema plus some potentially nice apartment towers that will help transform Wellesey road into a true Urban Canyon.

Rational Plan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 05:27 PM   #429
kerouac1848

Likes (Received): 265

Hmm, Croydon should be careful about building too many blocks of flats, I've read of schemes struggling to flog off units.
kerouac1848 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 05:42 PM   #430
No Expert

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerouac1848 View Post
Hmm, Croydon should be careful about building too many blocks of flats, I've read of schemes struggling to flog off units.
Yep. A rental ghetto. No good schools or parks. Transient residents moving on every 6 months.

This 500m north

http://goo.gl/maps/s20uS

(As posted on another thread)
No Expert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #431
kerouac1848

The problem as I see it is they're trying to pitch at the wrong audience. Croydon isn't an urban area in inner London, it's a commuter district with some good suburban housing that has tended to attract families, plus those working nearby and people who don't care. Families largely aren't going to be interested in those flats and those who are will prefer somewhere geographically closer to central London. I've met plenty of people arriving in London and not knowing its geography getting dumped in, say, Sutton or Edgware, and then quickly moving to Kilburn or Clapham when the chance arrives.

Last edited by kerouac1848; February 14th, 2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old February 14th, 2013, 05:56 PM   #432
No Expert

Exactly. They’re aiming for ‘young professionals’ who want bars / restaurants. A 14 screen cinema and a McDonalds is not going to cut it. You’re just going to get, as you say, a 6 month stop gap rent until they find a place in Clapham. However, its got one thing going for it. Excellent transport connections so you never have to spend time in Croydon.
Old February 14th, 2013, 06:55 PM   #433
.Adam

Likes (Received): 79

Surely thats the point though? In it's own right it could have the credentials to be a small city - and the arrival of Westfields, plus new developments, transport links and access to parks could make it a destination urban area in it's own right.

Long over due but these flats will become sought after if all the developments come together. The last thing this area needs is suburban housing.

LDN_EUROPE liked this post
.Adam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 08:12 PM   #434
delores

Likes (Received): 105

The flats and the retail will feed each other. I like this plan, had a look at the planning application, great care it seems has been taken in restoring the heritage of croydons buildings around the periphery of the development integrating it into the shopping centre. Proof is in the final product ofcourse, Allies and Morrison did a very good job at Liverpool 1.

delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 09:50 PM   #435
Plaistow

Likes (Received): 0

Despite the joint initiative are there no plans to better link the Whitgift and Centrale? I know there's a public street in between isn't there a risk of Centrale becoming the poor relation, just as the Drummond used to feel?
Plaistow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2013, 01:02 PM   #436
No Expert

It will just be a dormitory for people working in London like all the commuter towns just outside the M25 but with the added bonus that they can nip downstairs to Next and get themselves a new shirt and tie for work on Monday. If I lived there the least time I spent in Croydon the better in my mind.

You’re not going to raise a family there.

You would have to undertake some wholesale demolition to make a green space....which is a fantastic idea.

Old February 15th, 2013, 01:40 PM   #437
kerouac1848

Croydon isn't outside the M25, it's a good few miles 'in'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Adam View Post
Surely thats the point though? In it's own right it could have the credentials to be a small city - and the arrival of Westfields, plus new developments, transport links and access to parks could make it a destination urban area in it's own right.

Long over due but these flats will become sought after if all the developments come together. The last thing this area needs is suburban housing.
I'm not doubting that's the point, I'm questioning whether it will work. Flats aimed at buyers who are 'young urban professionals' doesn't seem to be working quite so well, meaning the BTL lot move in. If word spreads that a place becomes home to mostly short-term renters it becomes difficult to attract those wishing to settle.

It may have been better starting with a few modern townhouses and nice flats to attract families who don't want to leave London, but who also have to be a bit more flexible and hence would consider buying somewhere beyond zone 3. That would make it feel more urban. If successful, retail and services would reflect their tastes and demands (and it would become much less of a conservative locality), meaning the area's image changes and it becomes more feasible to fill large apartment blocks.

Last edited by kerouac1848; February 15th, 2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old February 15th, 2013, 01:52 PM   #438
.Adam

Likes (Received): 79

I think the reason they aren't selling now is because it's not a desirable location, in this housing climate - young proffesional's would purchase here because of the transport links into town, the cheaper house prices but only when Croydon itself offers a good retail environment and some culture, nightlife. It's going to be a hard reputation to shake - but it can be done.

.Adam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2013, 02:15 AM   #439
neuphin

Thanks for the heads up on the Westfield plans.
It does look as though they're at least trying to be sympathetic to the history of the area and surrounding buidings in their plans.

I will be intrigued to see what effect it has on the Centrale plans though, particularly now that the two are sort of linked. Are we really going to end up with two new cinema developments within 100m of each other? (Not to mention Grant's too...)

Interesting point about connecting the two centres too - it does look as though they're planning a lower-ground floor in the Whitgift centre area - could that not link through to Centrale, under North End?
Old February 16th, 2013, 11:47 AM   #440
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Likes (Received): 40

I like this. I can see why young professionals and even young families would live there for a few years. I'm talking leaseholders rather than just tenants. It might struggle to attract a mixed community of age groups but tats more to do with the older British people's attitude to living in flats than anything.

The design looks good, it's convenient, it's a quick journey to central London and also Gatwick. Croydon is cheaper than most areas. The only problem is lack of pars/green space for jogging and taking young kids out.
╚══╝╚══╝╚╝╚╝╚═══╝╚══╝╚╝╚╝ -- Ram Brewery 2013
LDN_EUROPE no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: