daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 5.00 average.
Old August 1st, 2008, 11:05 PM   #101
london lad

Likes (Received): 508

Park place is to redesigned with less shops & 400 flats. Might be a highrise element now as its right in the middle of Croydon , which the council are , as we know keen on tall buildings.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - -- - - - - - - - - -

http://www.thisiscroydontoday.co.uk/...l/article.html

Exclusive: Big changes to Park Place shopping centre plans

07:00 - 01-August-2008

5 readers have commented on this story.
Click here to read their views.

Developers Minerva are going back to the drawing board to come up with a new vision for the multi-million pound Park Place shopping complex.

Details of a new planning application are being worked on in close conjunction with the council and the aim will be to present the new scheme early in the New Year after talks with the Greater London Authority.

Minerva director Steven Yewman said this week that the new proposals will be radically different from the £500 million scheme which already has planning permission.

At the moment permission has been granted for 130 shops and restaurants in the area between Katharine Street and Park Street, Croydon.

Out will go the concept of a totally covered shopping centre to be replaced by more of a street scene shopping area and squares around which the shops will be built.

Out too goes a planned bus interchange, unlikely to be needed as new proposals emerge for a new look Wellesley Road and Park Lane which is expected to include provision for buses.

Taking buses away from the complex, Minerva believes, would open the way for the whole Park Place shopping experience to be enhanced by turning Katharine Street into a pedestrian area.

The overall number of shops will be reduced to around 100 but as an entirely new element, Minerva is planning to build up to 400 new homes, sizes of which have yet to be finalised.

Originally proposed physical links to the Whitgift Centre to create “joined up” shopping would be maintained.

Key to the success of the new Park Place will, as with the old, be securing an anchor tenant for the main department store space.

Although John Lewis has always been hesitant about publicly admitting to wanting to come to Croydon, it is understood talks with Minerva are advanced and that any formal new application will be in the name of the two companies.

If the negotiations are successful, the planned store space would, it is understood, be John Lewis' third largest outside central London.

The new store would be sited on the corner of High Street and Katharine Street and be, according to Mr Yewman, “a piece of architecture in its own right.”

Mr Yewman said emerging proposals for the council's urban regeneration vehicle (URV) partnership with John Laing and its competition for a new design for Wellesley Road had played a part in the rethink.

The URV is looking at the redevelopment of key sites such as the council's Taberner House and Fell Road offices and College Green.

And with a revamped Wellesley Road, Mr Yewman said the door was opened to a new look for the whole town centre.

Mr Yewman said: “We decided to go back to scratch around Christmas.

“There were dark times then but I got the team together and said we had to come up with something new.

“The whole development will be a lot more open.

“It will be harder to do but it will give room for the rest of Croydon to breathe.

“We believe the new Park Place will be so much better for Croydon.”
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 3rd, 2008, 03:00 PM   #102
Smoggie_Si
Bermondsey Boro

Likes (Received): 2

I'm currently doing the crazy reverse commute from living around London Bridge and working in Brighton! Therefore passing through East Croydon every day and only have another 2 weeks of the traveling to go. I am therefore planning on spending a couple of hours wandering around Croydon one evening.

I'm really interested in getting a closer look at Seiffert's lovely 50p tower and was planning to wander around the areas immediately to the east and west of East Croydon station, will that cover all the main development sites or are there any a bit further out that I should be checking out?

Cheers!
Smoggie_Si no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2008, 11:00 PM   #103
palaceboy1234

Likes (Received): 3

if all this lot gets built croydans skyline will be better than anyother city in britain e.g birmingham manchester. And its only a london borough 10 miles away from the center of london.
palaceboy1234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 01:30 AM   #104
TallBox

Likes (Received): 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoggie_Si View Post
I'm currently doing the crazy reverse commute from living around London Bridge and working in Brighton! Therefore passing through East Croydon every day and only have another 2 weeks of the traveling to go. I am therefore planning on spending a couple of hours wandering around Croydon one evening.

I'm really interested in getting a closer look at Seiffert's lovely 50p tower and was planning to wander around the areas immediately to the east and west of East Croydon station, will that cover all the main development sites or are there any a bit further out that I should be checking out?

Cheers!

Walk up and down Wellesley Road (the big dual-carriageway running through Croydon) as that's where most of the proposed developments are. As you walk north up the road, the site opposite the Delta Point BT building is the site of the Rolfe Judd/Berkley Homes resi. Further up where you see a core rising is IYLO. Congratulations, you've now officially seen everything worth seeing in Croydon. Just don't go too far west and end up in Thornton Heath
TallBox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 09:38 PM   #105
Smoggie_Si
Bermondsey Boro

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun View Post
Walk up and down Wellesley Road (the big dual-carriageway running through Croydon) as that's where most of the proposed developments are. As you walk north up the road, the site opposite the Delta Point BT building is the site of the Rolfe Judd/Berkley Homes resi. Further up where you see a core rising is IYLO. Congratulations, you've now officially seen everything worth seeing in Croydon. Just don't go too far west and end up in Thornton Heath
Cheers Shaun! Sounds like my 2 hour estimate was rather overestimating Croydon's charms then!
Smoggie_Si no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 03:48 PM   #106
fitz44

Likes (Received): 20

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/story.asp?...de=3119805&c=1

Foster scheme has clear run in Croydon
5 August, 2008

By Helen Pow

A 150,000sq m scheme by Foster & Partners now looks likely to be built at south London’s Croydon Gateway site after communities secretary Hazel Blears effectively ruled out rival plans by Michael Aukett Architects.

Following a decade-long battle over the regeneration of the 5ha site, Blears dismissed the possibility of a 12,500-seat arena — an integral part of Aukett’s council-backed mixed use plans for developer Arrowcroft.

The decision, which follows a nine-week public inquiry into the proposal last year, leaves the way open for joint venture Stanhope & Schroders, who own the site and have planning permission for their Foster & Partners-designed proposal including flats, offices, retail and a theatre.

In a statement released last Thursday, Blears said she had doubts the Arrowcroft plans were financially sound and was therefore not “reasonably assured” the arena would be delivered. Without the arena, she said, there were question marks over the plan’s “transforming” potential.

Both Fosters and Michael Aukett Architects refused to comment but Will Alsop, who has been working up concept designs for the wider Croydon area for the council, urged the local authority to move quickly in light of the decision.

“It is very important to Croydon that a project does emerge on that site as quickly as possible,” he said.

An Arrowcroft spokesman said: “We will need to consider the reasons for the… decision very closely before we can determine our options moving forward.”

However, the joint venture still face further challenges as Arrowcroft may appeal. Blears also delayed announcing a verdict on whether the council should be granted a compulsory purchase order on the site.
Old August 7th, 2008, 10:16 PM   #107
london lad

Schroders and Stanhope get final green light for Croydon development

10:50 | 07.08.08

By Laura Chesters

The Government has given Schroders and Stanhope the green light to commence the Croydon Gateway development, alongside East Croydon railway station.

Hazel Blears, Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, has refused to confirm Croydon Council’s compulsory purchase order on the site, which is owned by Schroders and Stanhope.

Last week she refused consent for a development scheme centred on a 12,500-seat arena, proposed by Croydon Council and developers Arrowcroft.

William Hill, managing director of Schroders Investment Managers, said: ‘We are delighted that the Secretary of State has declined to support the CPO. We argued at the planning inquiry that the arena scheme was not appropriate for this site and we are pleased to see that the Secretary of State agrees that it does not justify taking our land.’

The Gateway development, to be built around a 4.5-acre public park, will include new health facilities, a new 200-seat community theatre, cafes and restaurants.

To be known as Ruskin Square and designed by Foster & Partners, it will comprise 1m sq ft of office development and more than 500 new homes, a large proportion of which will be affordable.

The government decision brings to an end years of uncertainty and planning wrangles over land which has been derelict for 30 years.
Old August 8th, 2008, 12:17 AM   #108
delores

Likes (Received): 190

I wonder if it will be built now considering the conditions of the commercial market, I hope so Croydon needs this development as a kick start to all future plans for this town.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2008, 03:27 PM   #109
palaceboy1234

Likes (Received): 3

the site of weslley square has been unihabited for years.
palaceboy1234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 07:33 PM   #110
CroydonDave

Likes (Received): 0

This is great news. Hopefully this site can finally be developed and change peoples view of Croydon.
CroydonDave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 01:44 PM   #111
Manuel

Likes (Received): 15

AT LAST SOMETHING CLEARER!

Arrowcroft's arena dream dies
11:37 | 11.09.08
By Jennifer Rigby

Croydon Council has said it is eager to work with Stanhope and Schroders to deliver the long awaited scheme on the Gateway site in East Croydon, after the termination of its agreement with rival developer Arrowcroft at midnight last night.

The council had originally supported Arrowcroft’s arena-led plans for the site, however the Secretary of State rejected this plan six weeks ago.

The pair had six weeks to mount a legal challenge to the Secretary of State’s refusal of planning permission. Having not made this challenge, the pair’s agreement terminated last night and the council is now talking to Stanhope and Schroders about taking their rival 1m sq ft Ruskin Square scheme forwards.

Councillor Tim Pollard said: ‘By there being no challenge to the public inquiry decisions, the opportunity exists for the Stanhope Schroder partnership to make its mark in Croydon through the early development of the site.

‘What matters now is building a positive relationship with Stanhope so that their scheme can be taken forward on what is the most prestigious building site in the town.

‘The Gateway site has stood empty for far too long – a real blot on our landscape and an unwelcome sight for every train passenger passing through East Croydon. Now that planning issues have finally been resolved there is no longer any obstacle preventing its redevelopment. A chapter has closed and a new one opened – with a great opportunity for Stanhope to do something special for Croydon. Our early talks with the developer will aim at achieving a happy ending.’

http://www.propertyweek.com/story.as...de=3122253&c=1
Old September 11th, 2008, 03:50 PM   #112
Snowy
Inbetweener

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Cheers Shaun! Sounds like my 2 hour estimate was rather overestimating Croydon's charms then!
He's probably right and I should know, it's my hometown! The clocktower is very nice though, though many of the surrounding buildings aren't! The old Almshouses are quite interesting too.

I still think that Croydon has potential though and some of the proposed projects sound interesting including Park Place. Wellesley Road has lots of potential too.

Re. Park Place, I think that the decision to have less shops and focus more on the residential side of things is a good one, as one thing that Croydon does have plenty of is shops! You already have two decent-sized shopping centres (Whitgift Centre and Centrale) and a fairly large high-street. Croydon doesn't need anymore shops!

Smoggie, if you get time, I'd recommend eating in Galicia (tapas restaurant), which is on the arse-end of the high-street, heading towards South Croydon. The food is delicious!
Old September 11th, 2008, 03:54 PM   #113
Snowy
Inbetweener

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:

Cheers!
The NLA (50p) Tower is cool, it's a Croydon icon! It's looking so much better after it was cleaned up a year or so ago.
Old September 12th, 2008, 12:02 PM   #114
mulattokid
BLAND

Likes (Received): 284

I am especially pleased about these developments in Croydon.

We looked at a house for sale in Carshalton and I noticed how near the cluster of East Croydon was over Waddon Station. Never thought I would get to live in a green suburb just a stones throw from a cluster of skyscrapers.

I really appreciate all this information from you guys!

Is it pure coincidence that a mans ******* resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
mulattokid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 06:59 PM   #115
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 3400

adding to this thread... west croydon has six schemes that you guys havent yet seen by different developers including a 27 storey tower, 19 storey, 35 storey, 38 and 64 storey, three times 50 storey and a 40 storey tower!
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 07:23 PM   #116
london lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicform View Post
adding to this thread... west croydon has six schemes that you guys havent yet seen by different developers including a 27 storey tower, 19 storey, 35 storey, 38 and 64 storey, three times 50 storey and a 40 storey tower!

Are this different proposals or each developers proposals for the West Croydon Bus & Train Station site??
Old September 16th, 2008, 07:44 PM   #117
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 3400

different sites... i was very disbelieving of the scale of development but it seems to be pretty firm as far as things go. the rolfe judd tower should be starting soon by the way... and then a new 27 storey will start construction near it in 2009.
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 11:05 PM   #118
TallBox

Likes (Received): 156

is that the one replacing lunar house?
TallBox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2008, 01:43 AM   #119
Oblomov
Retired smuggler

Likes (Received): 1

Lunar house will remain and the Wellesley Square will build on the corner of Dingwall Road and Wellesley road.

The protests from the adjacent Church have been down graded from treehuggers to hi-rise crane dislikers...

Plans are moving forward for the marketing suite and initial preparation
Oblomov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2008, 10:46 AM   #120
mulattokid
BLAND

Likes (Received): 284

Im a tree hugger and a skyscraper hugger ?

Is it pure coincidence that a mans ******* resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
mulattokid no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: