daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average.
Old September 21st, 2008, 09:10 PM   #121
london lad

Likes (Received): 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicform View Post
adding to this thread... west croydon has six schemes that you guys havent yet seen by different developers including a 27 storey tower, 19 storey, 35 storey, 38 and 64 storey, three times 50 storey and a 40 storey tower!
This is one of them- Darling Associates designed tower for Purespace developments on a site at the corner of Tamworth Rd & North Oppo West Croydon station.

Goth what 27 Storey tower near to Judds tower will start construction. I wasn't aware there was a tower with planning permission nearby.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 22nd, 2008, 03:19 AM   #122
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 2811

that's one of them, yes. i have an interview with the architect to put up once the consultation has begun. that reminds me... i have one with aedas on a tower in glasgow that needs typing up!
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2008, 03:45 AM   #123
Boards
Cunty

Likes (Received): 328

Sweet. Only been checking SSN hourly since your BP/Aedas thread You going to mention the submission of the £1.2bn Meadowside Quay phase of Glasgow Harbour for planning including a 36 storey on SSN? Or is it not worth it as it's just outline consent? Don't happen to know who Marlebone ltd are? 250,000 sq ft office has been submitted for behind 236 Broomielaw, can't find squat on them, thought it must be a spelling mistake in the application, but that would be unlikely?
Boards no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2008, 03:58 AM   #124
gothicform
Bossman

the only reason that the aedas thing hasn't been put up is i have no one to transcribe the interview. rachel (who does these things usually) is ill if you want to transcribe it boards you're welcome to. it's 15 mins-ish. i can't transcribe it myself because i am hard of hearing!
Old September 26th, 2008, 11:40 AM   #125
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 13257

Article in this morning's Croydon Guardian and Croydon Advertiser:

Exclusive: Giant twin tower planned for Croydon town centre
http://www.thisiscroydontoday.co.uk/...l/article.html

Quote:

Friday, September 26, 2008, 07:00
By IAN AUSTEN

THERE is no doubt that if it is goes ahead this huge twin tower would be an unmistakable Croydon landmark.

But the man behind the eye-catching design also hopes it will act as a beacon for investment in the town centre.

Dubbed Odalisk by its architect, Piers Gough, the development is planned for Lansdowne Road on the site of the existing YMCA building and Marco Polo House.

The £350 million scheme from developers Guildhouse-Rosepride involves building two linked towers.

One would be on the corner of Lansdowne Road and Wellesley Road standing 35-storeys tall.

But it would be dwarfed by a 51-storey tower in Lansdowne Road.

The smaller tower and the building linking it with the taller block will house a 200-bedroom hotel and 100 serviced apartments for business people on longer stay visits to Croydon.

The tall tower will contain 25,000 square metres of grade A office space and 360 apartments.

Residents of all the apartments will have access to balconies or to two winter gardens.

The development also includes a pedestrian colonnade, lined with bars and restaurants, which the developers say will encourage pedestrians to walk from East Croydon through to Wellesley Road.

Guildhouse-Rosepride believe the proposals could bring 3,000 new jobs to the town.

Mr Gough said: "I am delighted to see the unveiling of Odalisk, which I believe will play an important role in shaping the future of Croydon.

"The days of drab grey buildings are an at an end. Odalisk will act as an inspiration to a new future."

Mark Waterstone, of Guildhouse-Rosepride, said the development is the result of a two-year design and planning process.

He said: "Basically it is a very simple building but it is the attention to detail which I think makes it look so attractive."

No formal application will be submitted to Croydon Council until detailed consultation has taken place with businesses, residents and councillors.

Mr Waterstone said: "We don't want to force this on people and we are not arrogant enough to think that it is perfect."

The intention is to listen to the views of people in the area and to get support for the development.

Mr Waterstone added: "Without that it would be foolhardy to push it forward. We know we still have a long way to go."

-
SE9 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2008, 12:10 PM   #126
mulattokid
BLAND

Likes (Received): 241

Thats classy!

Is it pure coincidence that a mans ******* resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
mulattokid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2008, 12:25 PM   #127
henry

Likes (Received): 3

Check out the model of future Croydon at the New London Architecture exhibition, this tower in particular by CZWG looks great. Its also very tall, I'd guess about 160m.
henry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2008, 04:46 PM   #128
gothicform
Bossman

this is one of the towers i was mentioning above. no idea why i am keeping some of them hush given they are on the bloody model!
Old September 26th, 2008, 05:02 PM   #129
london lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicform View Post
this is one of the towers i was mentioning above. no idea why i am keeping some of them hush given they are on the bloody model!
Have a look at the model & all the ones that are on it will be fair game as they are in the public domain- so spill the beans
Old September 26th, 2008, 05:46 PM   #130
Manuel

Likes (Received): 15

Yeah!
Old September 26th, 2008, 06:42 PM   #131
ZiggyRoXx

Likes (Received): 0

I dont get it....why is there such a demand for tall buildings in Croydon?.

I've never been there, so i cant really judge it.
ZiggyRoXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2008, 08:35 PM   #132
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 5773

Eat this!

Old September 26th, 2008, 08:40 PM   #133
Manuel

Likes (Received): 15

Oh my!!!
What's happening to Croydon?
Cherry Orchard road and Wellesley sq are cracking!
Old September 26th, 2008, 09:00 PM   #134
gazzab1990
SPAMMED

Likes (Received): 2

gazzab1990 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2008, 09:40 PM   #135
gothicform
Bossman

and that model has towers missing! i made a list of the west croydon projects on skyscrapernews!

Quote:

These include a 35 storey building on the Transport for London off Station Road, 19 and 11 storey buildings developed by Barratt immediately south of the TFL site, a 35 storey tower above West Croydon Station and a 27 storey building to the south west that it will share a public plaza with.

Howard Holdings are also working on what will potentially be three towers up to 50 storeys for the multi-storey car park off Wellesley Road, on the site of Lunar House the Pacific Group have 38 and 64 storey buildings masterplanned whilst Apollo House could be the site of a further 40 storey building.
Old September 26th, 2008, 11:56 PM   #136
Medo

Likes (Received): 349

Don't beat me up or give me a wedgie for what I'm about to say. Croydon will have the best skyline in London, even better than the City.
Medo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2008, 12:15 AM   #137
delores

Likes (Received): 171

From that model, it looks like east croydon station is redesigned, is that part of the plan? Looks very hong Kong Croydon, quiet like that fact its a free for all in building heights and experimental architecture. Not so sure about that new proposal by Piers Gough, I like some aspects but not the curves, they seem to spoil what would be a really good building. Also Make's residential buildings look a bit stodgy and fat? I imagined them to be alot less bulky to be honest.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2008, 10:05 AM   #138
Bob

Likes (Received): 10

*** CAUTION *** It says 2020 VISION *** CAUTION ***

I long to be disproved, but Croydon has a poor record of delivery on projects. I'm not sure why, but despite some of the most lax planning restrictions in London, despite a residential boom, huge retail element and strong office market precious little has been completed in the last 5 years.
Bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2008, 10:26 AM   #139
delores

Likes (Received): 171

Yea your right, I'm hoping fosters scheme will make developers want to build in Croydon. But until it happens I'm sceptical.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2008, 11:04 AM   #140
london lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
*** CAUTION *** It says 2020 VISION *** CAUTION ***

I long to be disproved, but Croydon has a poor record of delivery on projects. I'm not sure why, but despite some of the most lax planning restrictions in London, despite a residential boom, huge retail element and strong office market precious little has been completed in the last 5 years.
Totally agree.

Whilst you have to admire Croydon councils & private developers who are prepared to come up with large schemes ( you only have to look at the idiotic comments left on the various news reports on any large Croydon development gets published to see other anti highrise councils would use as justification to reject these schemes) but where & when is the investment going to come in.

Croydon council shot themselves in the foot by surporting Arrowcrofts Arena scheme which has delayed development at the key East Croydon site. Both Stanhope/Schroders were keen to get started on their scheme a couple of years ago & AIG, one of the key occupiers in the area were looking out for a large office scheme to consolidate staff & were getting increasingly frustrated. We all know what has happened to AIG & the general economy now so its doubtful that this scheme,which would be the template & catalyst for Croydon development will get off the ground.

I just don't see how all these other ambitious schemes will find office tenants & occupiers for the residential schemes.

It s a long term plan (hence 2020) but really needs some of these schemes starting soon. Wellesley square has been delayed to early next year but lets hope it picks up then.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: