daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 16th, 2008, 10:03 PM   #21
micro

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by ailiton View Post
The logo did not come from a Chinese Character. Rather, it represents how the routes were aligned.

People are pretty much right about the straight line - it represents the part of the system from Prince Edward to Admiralty. The upper left part of the logo is Tsuen Wan to Sham Shui Po, upper right is Kwun Tong to Shek Kip Mei. The bottom part is the Island Line.
The genius in the logo is probably that it resembles both the line layout and the Chinese character.
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 17th, 2008, 06:45 AM   #22
UD2
A very cool person

Likes (Received): 31

Toronto Transit Commission

image hosted on flickr
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
UD2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 06:56 AM   #23
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

I didn't know the TTC had tokens - those look really good.
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 08:29 AM   #24
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
I didn't know the TTC had tokens - those look really good.
Just for a size comparison, they're about the same size as a dime. Not sure which one weighs more. The old ones, which were plain silver were withdrawn after a counterfeit ring had flooded the system with thousands of fake tokens. Apparently there are measures in place with the new tokens to prevent such an occurence, but they have been tight-lipped as to what these features may be. Some have speculated that there is indeed an RFID chip imbedded witihin the token. I don't think that anyone's bothered to chop one up to find out.

The other thing about tokens is that they are immune to fare increases, which affect the regular paper tickets (which need to be redesigned after each fare change). Of course, prior to an announced fare hike, people start hoarding tokens to the point where they are rationed at the vending machines days before the increase. All to save 10˘ on the price of a token.
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 10:22 PM   #25
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

I hoard tokens. It's the sensible thing to do if you are buying in large quantities. It's not illegal and it's smart.

I doubt the TTC has RFID in the tokens. That would be very costly and the TTC is nearly bankrupt -- even with high ridership and continually increasing fares. The truth of the matter is that is likely that the tokens have NO security features whatsoever. Every system in the world should get rid of tokens and tickets and just stick with smart cards and cash.

In fact, the TTC is wasting millions in managing the distribution of tokens and tickets (maintaining token machines, manufacturing tokens). Not to mention the fees associated with combating counterfeit tokens / tickets.
Old February 18th, 2008, 03:59 AM   #26
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18151

Taipei also uses electronic tokens.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 09:29 AM   #27
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

hey hker's, did HK ever use tokens for their trains? As far as I remember we used magnetic tickets, and then it was the octopus

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 08:35 AM   #28
allurban
All Urban

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybean View Post
Every system in the world should get rid of tokens and tickets and just stick with smart cards and cash.

In fact, the TTC is wasting millions in managing the distribution of tokens and tickets (maintaining token machines, manufacturing tokens). Not to mention the fees associated with combating counterfeit tokens / tickets.
Tokens are simpler and cheaper than smart cards and cash...there are fewer security issues and with an effictive design, it is very hard to copy or counterfeit tokens.

I think the chipcoin is still the best option...the portability of a token, the RFID chip, space for the logo, and the security of the plastic casing...combined with the reduced cost of maintenance (as compared to cash or magnetic strip cards) .....that is a good combination for me...

Cheers, m
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 12:36 PM   #29
hkth

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo View Post
hey hker's, did HK ever use tokens for their trains? As far as I remember we used magnetic tickets, and then it was the octopus
No, not even the former KCRC.

KCRC used paper tickets before electriy and double tracked. After using the ticket barriers, they used paper tickets with magnetic slips before fully using magnetics tickets.
Old February 20th, 2008, 11:26 PM   #30
micro

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by allurban View Post
I think the chipcoin is still the best option...the portability of a token, the RFID chip, space for the logo, and the security of the plastic casing...combined with the reduced cost of maintenance (as compared to cash or magnetic strip cards) .....that is a good combination for me...
And it cannot get wrinkles or break like the Octopus/Oyster type cards.

By the way, are there other cities that have named their cards after seafood?
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 04:19 AM   #31
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Likes (Received): 420

MARTA, Atlanta's transit system, was the first in North America to convert to a 100% smart card fare collection system. I liked the tokens, but the smart card system is better and more efficient.

MARTA Token
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/idogcow/9337387/

1996 Olympics MARTA Token
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stinkypeter/135397087/

Breeze Card Purchase - simple right?
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brettlider/270730849/
WeimieLvr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 04:43 AM   #32
Yörch

Likes (Received): 237

In Mexico City metro we don't use tokens. We've been using tickets since it opened in the 60's.

image hosted on flickr
Yörch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2008, 07:53 PM   #33
DENTROBATE54
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil View Post
Just for a size comparison, they're about the same size as a dime. Not sure which one weighs more. The old ones, which were plain silver were withdrawn after a counterfeit ring had flooded the system with thousands of fake tokens. Apparently there are measures in place with the new tokens to prevent such an occurence, but they have been tight-lipped as to what these features may be. Some have speculated that there is indeed an RFID chip imbedded witihin the token. I don't think that anyone's bothered to chop one up to find out.

The other thing about tokens is that they are immune to fare increases, which affect the regular paper tickets (which need to be redesigned after each fare change). Of course, prior to an announced fare hike, people start hoarding tokens to the point where they are rationed at the vending machines days before the increase. All to save 10˘ on the price of a token.
Another key reason for the rehaul, was that the old tokens were easily mistaken for dimes. Hence fare evasion could be masterminded by slipping a ten-cent coin in the fare box instead, with a TTC employee none the wiser.

Here's a before and after comparison:
DENTROBATE54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote