daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Miami

Miami » Development News | Also includes Broward and Palm Beach Counties

Old June 5th, 2010, 12:00 AM   #101

Likes (Received): 731

Could Miami River evolve into something like the Chicago River?

I was in Chicago the other week and I really like the way the city is built around the river with the bridges and the unique scrapers.

And I'm thinking; could Miami do the same? Could we evolve from low-rise buildings and marine industry to a city center like Chicago?

It should be noted that I appreciate the marine industry along the river in Miami, but I really don't think it needs to be so downtown.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
1772 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 5th, 2010, 06:31 AM   #102
victorino08

Likes (Received): 34

we can but not west of 12av. to my opinion marine fishing in the miami river is not the same as it was during the 80s... they had a big help thru drugs... but that is almost gone...who knows maybe the ativist are been funded by the drug cartels from colombia(marijuana, cocaine) some of europe(ectacy). i miss DIAZ!!! this current mayor sucks... i didn't voted although i regret it... but he won by a big margin ....
i read this last week http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/05/2...mi-rivers.html
victorino08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 07:39 AM   #103
Roark
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Yes, there are many similarities with the Chicago River and the Miami River. The award winning Miami Greenway plan (completed about 7 years ago) borrowed heavily on the Chicago riverfront.
Roark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 10:35 PM   #104
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 8712

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1772 View Post
I was in Chicago the other week and I really like the way the city is built around the river with the bridges and the unique scrapers.

And I'm thinking; could Miami do the same? Could we evolve from low-rise buildings and marine industry to a city center like Chicago?

It should be noted that I appreciate the marine industry along the river in Miami, but I really don't think it needs to be so downtown.
I merged this thread with a pre-existing thread on the Miami River. Anyway, in answer to your question, I thought that is what it was already doing.

My photo threads:

Last edited by QuantumX; June 6th, 2010 at 11:53 AM.
QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 09:18 AM   #105
Södermalm
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorino08 View Post
we can but not west of 12av. to my opinion marine fishing in the miami river is not the same as it was during the 80s... they had a big help thru drugs... but that is almost gone...who knows maybe the ativist are been funded by the drug cartels from colombia(marijuana, cocaine) some of europe(ectacy). i miss DIAZ!!! this current mayor sucks... i didn't voted although i regret it... but he won by a big margin ....
i read this last week http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/05/2...mi-rivers.html
I think by now it is obvious that Diaz was a horrible Mayor who left a huge mess to clean up. The financial mess is unfathomable, and IMO they should declare bankruptcy and start over.
Södermalm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 12:07 PM   #106
spellbound
Contents Under Pressure

Likes (Received): 3966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Södermalm View Post
I think by now it is obvious that Diaz was a horrible Mayor who left a huge mess to clean up. The financial mess is unfathomable, and IMO they should declare bankruptcy and start over.
Miami is hardly alone in being a fiscal mess these days. There's plenty of other big cities facing similar budgeting woes. I don't put Manny front and center in blame for that. Even with some local-specific screwups, it's still largely a product of the same national economic and real-estate malaise that was brewing for a long time and a recovery (even though it's evident in some sectors) that still has a long way to go.

Not saying he did a bang-up job in that regard, but this is a lot bigger than one guy...in Miami and elsewhere.

spellbound no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 07:24 PM   #107
Södermalm
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
Miami is hardly alone in being a fiscal mess these days. There's plenty of other big cities facing similar budgeting woes. I don't put Manny front and center in blame for that. Even with some local-specific screwups, it's still largely a product of the same national economic and real-estate malaise that was brewing for a long time and a recovery (even though it's evident in some sectors) that still has a long way to go.

Not saying he did a bang-up job in that regard, but this is a lot bigger than one guy...in Miami and elsewhere.
no other major city saw such large property value and tax base increases, not even close. considering how much more tax revenue is coming in, this is inexcusable.

also note that problems that had festered for years under diaz such as the causeway sex camp cleared up within a few months of him leaving.
Old June 6th, 2010, 10:18 PM   #108
theDirector

Likes (Received): 90

I am pretty much split right down the middle with this issue. On one hand, I see the redevelopment of the river front for residents and pedestrians to be a wonderful and revitalization of the river... on the other hand, I also see the need to keep the Marine Business moving forward and keep them there.
I live in Snug Harbor on the river, which is two blocks east of the SW 12 avenue bridge. It's absolutely amazing to see the freighters come down the river from my living room. However, there needs to be a clear... SUPER CLEAR... outline and provisions for the maritime companies. As a resident, it would be nice to see the companies invest a little on aesthetics of their facilities. They look very grimey and run down. However, take that into consideration before you purchase a place on the river. LOL.
Now, as far as downtown... That should definitely be residential or offices. No questions asked. Most of the ship yards are on the south side of the river (excluding Merrill Stevens) and the residents are on the north side; except when you start getting more west past NW 27th avenue. Then it is all just industrial.
The plan, really needs to be structured in a way to keep specific zones for residential/office and Maritime Companies. And, just as residents have to keep up there property, so should these Maritime companies. In addition, the Maritime companies should also be more pedestrian friendly (with keeping safety in mind) and not hinder or block the river walk. That is my idealist input. LOL. However, it'll never happen because most of the people in the position to handle this only see this issue as black and white (i.e. - residential and maritime), fail to understand or attempt to understand the gray and work together for the betterment as a whole.
theDirector no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 10:32 PM   #109
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 8712

Quote:
Originally Posted by Södermalm View Post
no other major city saw such large property value and tax base increases, not even close. considering how much more tax revenue is coming in, this is inexcusable.
But it's not all still coming. It slowly started to deflate in 2006. Property values in some areas are back to where they were in the 20th century.

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 10:42 PM   #110
Södermalm
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
But it's not all still coming. It slowly started to deflate in 2006. Property values in some areas are back to where they were in the 20th century.
Overall taxable property value is currently multiples higher than it was 10 years ago. There is absolutely no excuse for there to be a fiscal crisis.
Old June 7th, 2010, 12:04 AM   #111
Roark
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDirector View Post
I am pretty much split right down the middle with this issue. On one hand, I see the redevelopment of the river front for residents and pedestrians to be a wonderful and revitalization of the river... on the other hand, I also see the need to keep the Marine Business moving forward and keep them there.
However, there needs to be a clear... SUPER CLEAR... outline and provisions for the maritime companies.
Now, as far as downtown... That should definitely be residential or offices. No questions asked. Most of the ship yards are on the south side of the river (excluding Merrill Stevens) and the residents are on the north side; except when you start getting more west past NW 27th avenue. Then it is all just industrial.
The plan, really needs to be structured in a way to keep specific zones for residential/office and Maritime Companies. And, just as residents have to keep up there property, so should these Maritime companies. In addition, the Maritime companies should also be more pedestrian friendly (with keeping safety in mind) and not hinder or block the river walk. That is my idealist input. LOL. However, it'll never happen because most of the people in the position to handle this only see this issue as black and white (i.e. - residential and maritime), fail to understand or attempt to understand the gray and work together for the betterment as a whole.
I'd love to own a place in Snug Harbor, Spring Garden is great.

Somehow lost in this conversation is that the plan exists, and has existed for at least 7 years, and was commissioned by the Miami River Commission.
Politicians were able to override this very thoughtful and comprehensive plan though, and that is the concern of the marine industry.
The Miami River Master Plan clearly delineates the areas suitable for high rise and mid rise development and the area for Marine industrial. All properties are required to adhere to the Miami River Greenway plan...public or private. However, private property owners are not required to modify their property to adhere to the plan, but if they apply for any permits or property modifications that effect the riverfront, they have to have a 50ft setback.

If any of you have an interest in the Miami River, the MRC meetings are open to the public and include great volumes of information about the happenings on the River.
Coming in time for Opening Day....a water taxi from downtown to the Marlins Stadium.
Old June 7th, 2010, 12:44 AM   #112
Aceventura

Likes (Received): 672

That would be an awesome little booze cruise.

Aceventura no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 05:36 AM   #113
theDirector

Likes (Received): 90

Thanks Roark for the info. Yeah Spring Gardens is a great area.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/06/0...direction.html

Well, lets hope for the best.
theDirector no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 06:16 AM   #114
Roark
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDirector View Post
Thanks Roark for the info. Yeah Spring Gardens is a great area.
http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/06/0...direction.html
Well, lets hope for the best.
Yeah, sadly, I read the ANDRES VIGLUCCI article. Viglucci did not even mention the Miami River Commission or the Miami River Urban infill plan in his article.
Back in the days when I attended the Miami River Commission meetings, the Urban Infill plan and the Miami River Greenway plans were the pride of the MRC. This was back in 2003-2004.

As for the AIA Charette, I got that invitation a couple weeks ago and will be there, not sure that there will be much more to add than what the Kimley-Horn report and the consequent updates have already outlined. But it will be interesting to see what out of town experts can add to what has already been done.

Original plan...someone pass this on to the "journalist" that is writing stories about the infill on the Miami River.
Old June 7th, 2010, 11:14 AM   #115
Endeavor305
Registered Fool

Likes (Received): 1565

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roark View Post
Yeah, sadly, I read the ANDRES VIGLUCCI article. Viglucci did not even mention the Miami River Commission or the Miami River Urban infill plan in his article.
Back in the days when I attended the Miami River Commission meetings, the Urban Infill plan and the Miami River Greenway plans were the pride of the MRC. This was back in 2003-2004.

As for the AIA Charette, I got that invitation a couple weeks ago and will be there, not sure that there will be much more to add than what the Kimley-Horn report and the consequent updates have already outlined. But it will be interesting to see what out of town experts can add to what has already been done.

Original plan...someone pass this on to the "journalist" that is writing stories about the infill on the Miami River.
Cool. Thanks for posting the original plan. I wonder what big idea will come out of this latest study.

Endeavor305 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 11:02 PM   #116
Södermalm
BANNED

Quote:
One key task for the group: figuring out how the five-mile-long river, which bisects downtown Miami, can serve as a connecting thread -- perhaps through the use of water buses and taxis -- linking downtown Miami to the Jackson Memorial Hospital medical complex, the new Miami Marlins baseball stadium rising on the old Orange Bowl site and the under-construction Miami Intermodal Center, Miami International Airport's new ground-transportation nerve center.
It would be cool to have water taxi service up the Miami River from Downtown to the Airport and Intermodal Center.
Old June 8th, 2010, 12:37 AM   #117
mr jones

Likes (Received): 689

Up in Fort Lauderdale we have water taxi's along the New River and Intracoastal, they're just too slow to be used as a mode of transit. Unless the taxi's along the Miami River can go fast, they'll only be good for tourists sightseeing.

mr jones no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 12:56 AM   #118
spellbound
Contents Under Pressure

Likes (Received): 3966

There was a water taxi service years ago that served points all the way from downtown Ft. Lauderdale to Bayside. I used to see them pass by Haulover all the time but haven't seen them lately on my frequent trips back. Anyone know if it still exists?

spellbound no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 08:33 AM   #119
Endeavor305
Registered Fool

Likes (Received): 1565

I say bring back that hot air ballon ride they used to have at bayfront park, but only this time have it move up and down the river.

Endeavor305 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2010, 04:54 AM   #120
Roark
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr jones View Post
Up in Fort Lauderdale we have water taxi's along the New River and Intracoastal, they're just too slow to be used as a mode of transit. Unless the taxi's along the Miami River can go fast, they'll only be good for tourists sightseeing.
The difference between Ft. Lauderdale and Miami would be that there are tens of thousands of residences and offices at the mouth of the Miami River, those people need to go to and return from the Miami International Airport 5 miles up the river.
It will also come in handy with a professional baseball stadium about 2.5 miles up the river. Heavy density at each node will ensure that the river taxi will be viable as has been planned. Automotive taxis will remain more cost effective, but plenty of locals will take advantage of the novel and relaxing River route.

Last edited by Roark; June 10th, 2010 at 05:00 AM.