daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Old April 9th, 2008, 07:28 PM   #1
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 35

[USA] United States | Non-Interstate Roads and Highways

With the creation of thread #2 for the interstates, I thought that this would be a good time to start a thread to discuss all of those other great roads in the USofA that just happen to not carry the snazzy red, white and blue signs.

To start it off, later today I will be checking out a public information meeting being held by the State of Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) regarding a planned WI 26 bypass freeway/motorway (likely to be mostly built to full interstate standards) of Watertown, WI. This project will remove significant amounts of traffic running between northeastern Wisconsin and the I-39 corridor in Illinois and far southern Wisconsin from the city's fairly narrow streets.

Mike

Last edited by mgk920; April 9th, 2008 at 07:34 PM.
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 13th, 2008, 02:05 PM   #2
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 336

Very good idea for a thead, hopefully I will be going to WI this summer so I might be able to check that out.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 06:02 PM   #3
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 2811

Yeah, a lot of US Highways were decomissioned in the past. Most numbers are still alive, but now as State Routes.

US 6
US 50
US 95
US 97
US 101
US 199
US 395

However, only the US 101 and 395 travel significant distances in California.

my clinched highways • highway pictures @ Flickr and Youtube
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 07:51 PM   #4
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 878

Good idea for a thread. I was going to start one for non-Interstate expressways, but this will do.
xzmattzx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 07:58 PM   #5
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Some projects in Delaware that we discuss off-and-on in the Delaware Development News thread:

US Route 113 could be upgraded to an expressway from Milford south to the state line. If this is done, US 113/DE 1 from Milford north to Dover AFB could be upgraded into an expressway as well. This would provide quick access to much of the state in the north-south directions. The biggest benefit would be that it would encourage drivers heading to the southern beach towns, like Bethany Beach or Fenwick Island, to take the new expressway all the way down to Selbyville, then head east. This would reduce the massive congestion along Delaware Route 1 in the Five Points, Rehoboth Beach, and Dewey Beach areas (named the second-most-congested getaway area in the nation).

US Route 301 from the Chesapeake & Delaware Canal to the state line will be relpaced with an expressway that will bypass Middletown, the fastest-growing city in Delaware. As the expressway is being rebuilt, it will be rerouted eastward just south of the C&D Canal, and will terminate at DE Route 1. This will allow for a continuous expressway from the Maryland line to I-95. A spur route expressway will connect the expressway to the Summit Bridge (DE Route 896) and to the Glasgow area.
Old April 14th, 2008, 09:29 PM   #6
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Strange, i see some posts are lost. 2 of mine, and one of FM 2258.

Old April 14th, 2008, 11:53 PM   #7
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
Strange, i see some posts are lost. 2 of mine, and one of FM 2258.
Yeah I saw that too. I noticed you answered my question but didn't see my post with the question.

It looks like when Interstates were popping up people were still "loyal" to the U.S highways. I kinda wish they things stayed that way today but I think most people who don't care about highways wouldn't care or notice that although you're driving on Interstate 70, you're also on US 85 and US 6. U.S. 6 seems to be one of those US Highways that spend a lot of time in the back country only to seemingly pop up onto a major Interstate for a while or in a big city then jump back off into the wild again. I remember driving on IH 84 in Connecticut and seeing that it was also paired with US 6 for a while.

Here are some old pictures I found from this website with U.S. Highways in California at the beginning of the Interstate boom:

http://www.kriske.com/highway/signs/signs.html

FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 06:29 AM   #8
Alex Von Königsberg
Legalise it!

Likes (Received): 0

Hmm, interesting. The second picture from the bottom shows two signs on the right (Lake Tahoe and Truckee) that are almost identical to those you can see now. Also, a long time ago, CA-99 used to be US-99. I wonder why they changed designation in California while leaving it US-99 in Oregon?
"I used to smoke marijuana. But I'll tell you something: I would only smoke it in the late evening. Oh, occasionally the early evening, but usually the late evening - or the mid-evening. Just the early evening, midevening and late evening. Occasionally, early afternoon, early midafternoon, or perhaps the late-midafternoon. Oh, sometimes the early-mid-late-early morning. . . . But never at dusk." - Steve Martin
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 12:51 PM   #9
mojaBL
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Interesting.
I don´t know a lot about this topic can someone explain what are the differnces between IS and US Highways? Quality? Traffric? How old etc.
mojaBL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 06:50 PM   #10
ChrisZwolle
Road user

US Highways are national roads without minimum design standards like an Interstate, which requires freeway standards. An US Highway can be any kind of road, from remote rural road to full interstate standard freeway.

Old April 15th, 2008, 07:11 PM   #11
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
US Highways are national roads without minimum design standards like an Interstate, which requires freeway standards. An US Highway can be any kind of road, from remote rural road to full interstate standard freeway.
I remember going on a camping trip in west Texas a while back and noticed that we were on U.S. 377 and crossing a very low and extremely narrow two lane bridge and then I remembered that the same highway in Fort Worth is a massive freeway with Interstate 30 and then 35W. So you're right, U.S. Highways can be anything. I'm not sure though if there are any gravel or dirt road U.S. Highways.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 07:34 PM   #12
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

There are oodles and oodles of state and local roads and highways in the USA, ranging from the lowliest dirt track up to MASSIVE freeways and tollways built to full interstate standards, too.

'Interstates' in the USA are built to design standards set forth by the Federal Highway Administration and AASHTO (American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials http://www.transportation.org) and they will not allow the signs (which they hold federal trademark rights to) to be posted on any road that they do not approve. There ARE 'substandard' roads that do have the signs, but they are either 'grandfathered' in under old standards or received specific design exceptions from either AASHTO or the US Congress (ie, I-70 in the Glenwood Canyon in Colorado received a Congressional design exception of an 80 km/h maximum speed and other 'tweaks' in order to be built at all). 'Grandfathered' substandard interstates will also have to be brought up to full modern standards whenever they are substantially rebuilt.

Mike
Old April 15th, 2008, 07:36 PM   #13
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
I remember going on a camping trip in west Texas a while back and noticed that we were on U.S. 377 and crossing a very low and extremely narrow two lane bridge and then I remembered that the same highway in Fort Worth is a massive freeway with Interstate 30 and then 35W. So you're right, U.S. Highways can be anything. I'm not sure though if there are any gravel or dirt road U.S. Highways.
US 41 is prohibited to trucks/lorries in much of Chicago (Lake Shore Drive), too, as are US 441 through Great Smoky Mountains N.P. and US 209 through the Delaware Water Gap.

Mike
Old April 15th, 2008, 07:36 PM   #14
ADCS
US American

Likes (Received): 2

Oh, and US Highways/Routes are exactly the same as State Highways/Routes/Roads, just with a fancy numbering scheme. The funding mechanisms are equivalent.
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 07:50 PM   #15
Xusein

Likes (Received): 2345

Here in Connecticut, a large percentage of the expressways are non-Interstate.

The main non-interstate expressways here, in black. They generally are the same as the Interstate Highways, except that they are narrower and for the most part, not built for interstate standards.

Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 07:59 PM   #16
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I just love this kind of bridges:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

I haven't seen that anywhere else in Europe.

Old April 15th, 2008, 08:05 PM   #17
Xusein

Likes (Received): 2345

They truly are beautiful...postcard potential.

However, they are rare. Living in the capital of Covered Bridges (New England), I have never seen one, and I've lived here for almost 10 years. They're mostly in the isolated parts of the area.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 08:49 PM   #18
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 1

I thought there were a lot of these bridges in east Canada (Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Newfoundland etc.) I haven't ever seen one in Massachusetts, New Hampshire or Maine, but I've been there a lot.
Old April 16th, 2008, 07:54 AM   #19
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Covered bridges are found in rural areas, like 10ROT mentioned.

I might be wrong, but I think the covered bridge capital of the U.S. is Indiana, not New England.

Covered bridges are pretty rare, as was also mentioned. We only have 4 in Delaware. One of those four was washed away from the one-two punch of Tropical Storm Henri and Hurricane Isabel in 2003, so we are really down to three now, it looks like.

Here are my pictures of two of the covered bridges in Delaware:

Smith's Bridge, on Smiths Bridge Road north of Rockland, and less than a quarter-mile from the Pennsylvania border. The original bridge burned down in the 1960s, and this current bridge was built in its place, but with no cover. The bridge was replaced again about 10 years ago, and the cover was added in around 2002 to make it a covered bridge like it was in the 1800s.

Ashland Covered Bridge, on Barley Mill Road in Ashland. The bridge was almost torn down recently, since it was becoming unsafe, but it was renovated instead.

Old April 16th, 2008, 09:44 AM   #20
Muttie

Likes (Received): 294

I would poo my pants crossing those bridges...they look kinda fragile.
Muttie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
united states