daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 5th, 2013, 01:13 PM   #20481
bogdymol
bogdymod

Not all the exams at the university are like this. This was in fact maybe the easiest exam I had so far. And anyway, it's not at a very important subject.

Usually exams at my university last 2-3 hours in which we have few theoretical subjects, and maybe 1-2 problems to solve. None of them give you any answers. You have to give the answer yourself.

The last exam I had before the one I had yesterday was a 30-minutes theoretical test, and after that a 2-hours long problem to solve that involved a lot of calculations + engineering drawings.

I also had an exam that consisted in 2-hours long theoretical test (3-4 questions... don't remember exactly), and after that a 4-hour long test with 2-3 problems to solve (again, you had to solve the problems... there were no answers given). In the same day the teacher corrected the 2 tests, and if you passed you had another spoken test, where the teacher was answering a lot of questions regarding that subject and you had to answer fast to them, without having time to stay and think about that subject (so you had to know the subject almost perfectly).

Besides all this exams you still have to have attendance at classes during the semester, and to prepare for each subject some projects (which were not easy at all... mostly were tens of pages long and also had a lot of engineering drawings included inside). After the project was completed you didn't just give it to the teacher, but you had to present every little detail that it's inside the project.

So no, University in Romania it's not about having all the c) answers checked. This happened only one time at an unimportant subject. It was the exception.

But yes, there are some so-called "university-es" in Romania where passing a subject takes a lot less than in the University where I study.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

g.spinoza liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2013, 01:13 PM   #20482
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I was trying to explain the 0-30 mark system for a colleague here, she was thinking it was too difficult.
You mean the Italian system?
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2013, 01:54 PM   #20483
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21254

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
You mean the Italian system?
Yep.
Old June 5th, 2013, 02:25 PM   #20484
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Well the Italian mark system is not that difficult: 30 is the max vote (30 cum laude if the exam has been particularly brilliant), 18 the minimum to pass, anything below 18 is a fail.

Exams can be tough though.
Old June 5th, 2013, 02:30 PM   #20485
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21254

Quote:
Well the Italian mark system is not that difficult: 30 is the max vote (30 cum laude if the exam has been particularly brilliant), 18 the minimum to pass, anything below 18 is a fail.

I know it is not difficult to understand, but the girl was operating only on the American system and not getting it "why 30" or "why not use 3 out of 5 as passing mark". They are also not used to the final exam concept often as well.
Old June 5th, 2013, 02:48 PM   #20486
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

Krems an der Donau, Austria

Old June 5th, 2013, 03:17 PM   #20487
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Ok, but in Italy these kind of exams are considered too easy... university exams (at least in physics and astronomy, the field I know better) consist in problems to solve, with no correct answer given...

I'm not saying university in Italy is tougher than in Romania. It's just that seems weird, last time I saw a multiple choice exam I was in middle school...
The only time I had an university exam with multiple choices (it wasn't just multiple choices, also open questions were included, plus the oral few days later) our professor made them very ambiguous, by putting two similar answers that look like both correct but only one is.
Quote:
Pardon me, but if you make such an error, you don't belong to university...
I've heard about someone who failed an exam because (s)he forgot to write his\her name on the paper.
Quote:

When you fail, you usually don't get any mark, they only say that you failed.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2013, 03:25 PM   #20488
bogdymol
bogdymod

In Romania grades are from 1 to 10. You need minimum 5 to pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Something like this happens at my university: if you fail at an exam they write down grade 4 (doesn't matter if your test was worth 4,30 or 1,00).
Old June 5th, 2013, 03:28 PM   #20489
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Same in Spain, but we start from 0.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2013, 03:29 PM   #20490
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
It depends, at my university you could get 17 or less at written exams: it means you couldn't access to the oral exam and it was an automatic fail.
Old June 5th, 2013, 03:42 PM   #20491
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Same in Spain, but we start from 0.
In Romania at any exam (kindergarden, school, highschool, university etc.) you get the first point just by showing up at the exam. So if the test has 9 questions, they are marked with 1 point each, so the total is 1 + 9*1 = 10.

Of course, there still are exceptions. At my university I had some exams where you started from 0.
Old June 5th, 2013, 04:31 PM   #20492
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Quite an unusual method, since usually the minimum mark to pass is set above the half of the max mark.
In Italy at schools the min is 1, the max is 10 and you pass with 6 (>5), at the final high school exam you pass with 60 out of 100 (>50). At university exams with 18 out of 30 (>15) and at university degree with 66 out of 110 (>55).
So for every kind of test and exam in Italy, the rate min/max is 3/5.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2013, 04:44 PM   #20493
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

There are complaints about the "six culture" in Dutch education. A 6 (5.5) is the minimum to pass a test and many students score around that level.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2013, 04:54 PM   #20494
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A 6 (5.5) is the minimum to pass a test and many students score around that level.
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2013, 05:10 PM   #20495
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

To pass final high school exam in RO you also need at least 6, but the notes that make the final note must be at least 5.
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2013, 05:13 PM   #20496
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Quite an unusual method, since usually the minimum mark to pass is set above the half of the max mark.
In Hungary it is so: Marks are from 1 (worst) to 5 (best). The only mark you fail with is 1, i.e. with a mark of 2 you passed the exam.
However, it doesn't mean that 20% is enough for passing the exam. Usually it is so, or some similar way (percent/mark):
0-49%: 1
50-64: 2
65-79%: 3
80-89%: 4
90-100%: 5
So marking system is not linear (precise percent limits may vary a little bit, but basically are around the limits I wrote above).
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2013, 06:10 PM   #20497
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 898

I bought a video camera for £40 a while back but it was awful, so I want to buy another one but there's just so much choice! I really don't know which one to pick.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2013, 06:13 PM   #20498
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

Most cameras are advertised at "HD quality" these days, while they really only have HD resolution, but poor quality. Just about any camera can film at 1080p these days.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2013, 06:56 PM   #20499
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

First time holding a new euro bank note from 2013. The new €5,- looks nice!
(this one)
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2013, 08:26 PM   #20500
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

Grading systems... an interesting subject. England usually uses percents which then are translated into specific marks. It can vary however. Some exams use only pass/fail grades but I usually they aren't too important, let's say minor a module alongside vocational courses at college. At high school the grades range from A* to G, the only lower is U (unclassified) I think... It changes as college a bit (from A* to F). The pass mark is set at 40%. This also depends since one go to Sixth Form or choose from a range of vocational courses some of which will allow you to go to university. Some like fail, pass, merit and distinction. Depending on a number of modules one gets a grade like DMM or something like that.

Well when it gets to university it's somehow similar however each uni has a different reputation and so on, assesment is non universal like at college where you get a set of exam boards with certain standards. Usually a pass mark is set at 40% and this will get you a 3rd class degree. Then you have two types of second class dress (2:2 from 50% to 60% and 2:1 from 60% to 70%) and finally a 1st class degree from 70% onwards. Usually it is advised that students should aim towards 2:1 at least. I think a 3rd class degree is also divided into two separate categories but probably it's not that important if one scores so low after three years of studying (or not studying in this case)

Last time a closed question test was back in college. These were just set randomly by a tutor in one subject to keep people on track and refreshed. However the real exams were based on open questions which in reality meant writing a couple of essays in the frame of two hours and sometimes less.

Last edited by Mateusz; June 5th, 2013 at 08:35 PM.
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways