daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 3rd, 2013, 11:29 PM   #20921
bogdymol
bogdymod

Hopefully it will note come next a bigger one. I never felt an earthquake.

I asked this question few weeks ago, and I ask again: do you guys know what happened to forum user seem? He dissappeared few months ago without saying anything.

Or he just changed his nickname to volodaaaa? Both are from Bratislava, SK.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2013, 11:40 PM   #20922
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Or he just changed his nickname to volodaaaa? Both are from Bratislava, SK.
FYI that is not me I have found this forum just few months ago.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 11:45 PM   #20923
bogdymol
bogdymod

So where is seem then? Did you hide him in the basement?

PS: welcome to SSC
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 11:48 PM   #20924
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
It was much worse vice-versa I mean Easterns driving in Western Europe
Interesting. In 1985 my father, after visting Prague and Bratislava by car, he went to Vienna and he knew a girl from East Germany that was studying there. She must have been the daughter of some big name in the party to be allowed to study in the West. Or maybe a Stasi spy. Or maybe she was West German and claimed to be East German to get money and gifts.

I don't know if, before 1989, we were allowed to visit Albania and Soviet Union by ourselves (i.e. without being part of a guided tour, like is now mandatory in N. Korea and Saudi Arabia). However I read in a newspaper that the ferry line between Trieste and Durres was estabilished in 1983, so it probably was possible.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 12:28 AM   #20925
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

I think it was hard to get into Albania even for neighboring Yugoslavs and Greeks. I was in Montenegro (very close to Albania) in 1986 (I was 3 ).
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 12:28 AM   #20926
lukaszek89
BANNED

Likes (Received): 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Interesting. In 1985 my father, after visting Prague and Bratislava by car, he went to Vienna and he knew a girl from East Germany that was studying there. She must have been the daughter of some big name in the party to be allowed to study in the West. Or maybe a Stasi spy. Or maybe she was West German and claimed to be East German to get money and gifts.

I don't know if, before 1989, we were allowed to visit Albania and Soviet Union by ourselves (i.e. without being part of a guided tour, like is now mandatory in N. Korea and Saudi Arabia). However I read in a newspaper that the ferry line between Trieste and Durres was estabilished in 1983, so it probably was possible.
She could cooperate with DDR Secret Service. During the commie times if you wanted to study abroad/or even to go abroad you had to ask for the passport-and to get it you usually had to aggree to cooperate with Secret Service(of course if you were interesting for them). Universities were heavily inflitraded. Besides Vienna had probably residents of the all Warsaw Pact coutries Secret Services-island of capitalism in the sea of communism.

Last edited by lukaszek89; July 4th, 2013 at 02:09 AM.
lukaszek89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 01:36 AM   #20927
Broccolli

Likes (Received): 936

Unbelievable... I missed 2 Bigfoots while walking by on close distance... I only recently discovered these impressive creatures on some old material. Filmed in the Forests of Šnickltj, known for it's Bigfoot sightings. Slovenia 2005.
Sorry for the crappy quality...

Broccolli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 02:04 AM   #20928
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

^ How did they get across the Atlantic? Did they buy plane tickets?

Btw, how do you add tags?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 02:29 AM   #20929
Broccolli

Likes (Received): 936

They have always been around, they are indigenous species, but because they were mating with close relatives, that weakened their immune system so now they are on the verge of extinction.
Broccolli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 03:31 AM   #20930
TurboEngine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Could Westerns drive their own cars in Romania, Bulgaria, Poland, Hungary before 1989?
Of course. Did you expect to be assigned a chauffeur?
TurboEngine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 04:39 AM   #20931
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboEngine View Post
Of course. Did you expect to be assigned a chauffeur?
Maybe foreigners were just not allowed to drive there altogether and had to visit the country only on organized trips, as was the case of USSR, China and still is the case of backward regimes in countries like North Korea, SAudi Arabia etc.

BTW, I was thinking... China doesn't allow foreigners to drive in China. Even if you have a visa you can't get a Chinese driver license, let alone use your foreign one. Should EU reciprocate (not allowing Chinese citizens to drive private cars in Europe)? The same would apply to other countries as well - if EU citizens can't drive in your land, you can't drive here.
Old July 4th, 2013, 05:34 AM   #20932
lukaszek89
BANNED

Likes (Received): 930

You were ok unless black Volga started to follow you.

lukaszek89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 06:01 AM   #20933
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 766

Quote:
Should EU reciprocate (not allowing Chinese citizens to drive private cars in Europe)?
That would be a giant step towards safety. At no cost, EU would put an immediate end to most DWA cases in its jurisdiction.

This is making me crazy, it gets better and better every time you see it

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

Verso, geometarkv liked this post
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 08:49 AM   #20934
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
That would be a giant step towards safety. At no cost, EU would put an immediate end to most DWA cases in its jurisdiction.

This is making me crazy, it gets better and better every time you see it

Old July 4th, 2013, 09:08 AM   #20935
volodaaaa

Quote:

Some people were allowed to study or move to West, but as you already mentioned, they were relatives of important and influent people (especially politicians).

Travelling to other Eastern countries was limited a bit, but West was something unreachable. I experienced a ridiculous situation since I lived on borderline with Austria. From nearest hill there were a great overview to Austria but it was impossible to get there.

Something like "the island of hope" was Yugoslavia. Since Tito and Stalin broke up, Yugaslavia had its own communist regime - in some ways a bit less strict (e.g. travelling).

Our (stalinist) politicians didn't like to allow other people travel to Yugoslavia, but it was traditional and popular holiday destination so there was rather higher chance to get permission than in case of other western countries.

Then, If you were in yugoslavia, it was no problem to escape wherever you wanted.

Old July 4th, 2013, 09:40 AM   #20936
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
BTW, I was thinking... China doesn't allow foreigners to drive in China. Even if you have a visa you can't get a Chinese driver license, let alone use your foreign one. Should EU reciprocate (not allowing Chinese citizens to drive private cars in Europe)? The same would apply to other countries as well - if EU citizens can't drive in your land, you can't drive here.
If so, how are possible the several Europe to China overland rallies that often we read about?
Also Japan doesn't recognize European driving licenses.
I don't think the EU can reciprocate everything. We would end up in many discrimination episodes (like Turkish muslims allowed to profess their religion here but Iranian muslims who cannot). Also because most Chineses in Europe are residents. Probably also foreign residents in China can drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Our (stalinist) politicians didn't like to allow other people travel to Yugoslavia, but it was traditional and popular holiday destination so there was rather higher chance to get permission than in case of other western countries.

Then, If you were in yugoslavia, it was no problem to escape wherever you wanted.
Why East Germans died to cross the wall if they could have escaped to the West via Yugoslavia? Why they had to wait Hungarians opening the Austrian border in summer 1989 to escape?
I don't think it was easy, probably it was full of Yugoslav soldiers on the borders with Italy, Austria and Greece.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 09:53 AM   #20937
volodaaaa

Quote:
Why East Germans died to cross the wall if they could have escaped to the West via Yugoslavia? Why they had to wait Hungarians opening the Austrian border in summer 1989 to escape?
I don't think it was easy, probably it was full of Yugoslav soldiers on the borders with Italy, Austria and Greece.
You had to pretend going to holidays to Yugoslavia. The competent offices has checked you and your whole family, relatives and friends whether you are not a "dissident" or just anti-communist. If the verification was succesful, you got a permission to have holiday in Yugoslavia. If not, you just could have sit home and wait.

The verification was not easy: only few irrelevant datails were enough to rejection. E.g. If you had a family on West, you have no chance to pass since you may have left and never went back. It is needless to say the summer holiday was not cheap as well.

For lot of people it was much easier just to cross borders and risk being killed.

Old July 4th, 2013, 01:37 PM   #20938
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

I think the Yugoslav border police didn't let people from other communist countries escape to Italy or Austria, right?
Old July 4th, 2013, 02:48 PM   #20939
volodaaaa

Quote:
I think the Yugoslav border police didn't let people from other communist countries escape to Italy or Austria, right?
Dunno. But most of the escapes were done through Yugoslavia, mostly by plane to US and Canada.

Old July 4th, 2013, 02:58 PM   #20940
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 3990

Quote:
At that time army guarded the borders, unless you think on border police at border crossings. There was no reason to prevent foreign citizen to leave Yugoslavia, unless he/she is violating border rules (crossing the border without passport or out of crossing).
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways