daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 9th, 2013, 04:28 PM   #21061
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
When I translliterated some cyrillic here, I did it the Spanish way, not the English one.
Many cyrillic words are transliterated in different ways in different languages. For example the Russian city is written Yekaterinburg in English, Ekaterinburg in Italian, Jekaterinburg in German and Iekaterinbourg in French.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 9th, 2013, 04:31 PM   #21062
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

In Hungary, too, it was usual until the 1960's to hungarianize foregin names. As Hungarian people use the names in reversed order (related to most of European nations), i.e. family name first, given name last, we not only gave a Hungarian name to foreign people but changed the name order, too.
The famous French novel writer was Verne Gyula, the German writer of Winnetou was May Károly, the first president of the USA Washington György. The famous Communist philosophists were Marx Károly and Engels Frigyes.
I laughed a lot when I read in a newspaper of 1938, the the Japanese ambassador in Budapest was called Nakamura István. I wonder how his Japanase name was translated to István (Hungarian for Stephen) :-)
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 04:34 PM   #21063
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post

Especially at a game against Real Madrid, even if only a friendly.
Nah, kidding, that was also in shops etc.

But it's interesting, I didn't meet someone here who recognized the language. Funny moment was at the clinic canteen in Ingolstadt where I frequently eat with my gf, and there was also another colleague coming from Moldova. I think we also spoke louder then the average. And some doctors sitting just besides us asked us when we sat up to leave, what language it is, it sounds like Italian, but then also like Czech, and they were very intrigued

Because cursing comes naturally in native language. And also the cursing in German is pathetic
The same thing when driving, like spinoza said...
Well, I have to admit that I usually swear in English at people here. Du blöde Wixer and Scheiss Hührenson is not quite the same oi you ******* popflop *******...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 04:49 PM   #21064
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
I laughed a lot when I read in a newspaper of 1938, the the Japanese ambassador in Budapest was called Nakamura István. I wonder how his Japanase name was translated to István (Hungarian for Stephen) :-)
スティーヴン
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 05:46 PM   #21065
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Talking about funny language issues, in Slovakia, we usually attach the suffix "-a/ova" to slovak female surnames. If my surname was Novak, the surname of my wife would be Novakova. Some people (especially newspapers editors) apply that also to foreign famous females, so cases like Britney Spearsova or Michelle Obamova is nothing rare.

But the ridiculous situation happens in case of actress Goldie Hawn. It can be transliterated as Goldie Hawnova, what sounds like "Goldie made of s**t" since hovno means s**t

Some funny issues are also related to some southslavic surnames like Kokot what literally means m**********r.

A second league team from Slovakia has hired a slovenian football player named Kokot but fired him day after. Since Slovak football is low-graded, some fans made fun of that and told, that we had lot of own m**********rs in our football teams, so we had not needed anyone more.

hofburg liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 06:26 PM   #21066
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Talking about footballers...
This one is pretty well-known in Italy even if he never played here.
The reason: his surname means s**t in Italian.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 06:34 PM   #21067
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 09:37 AM   #21068
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
And what about Nicholas N'Koulou? His surname meaning "in the butt". I read somwhere a jolly journalist went to the streets in Naples asking "allora, l'avete preso N'Kolou?" (so, did you get/take N'Koulou)

Or what about world famous Kakŕ (shi*ting)... "
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 10:12 AM   #21069
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

So, speaking about "the name of that town of Italy means something weird in Danish" now comes "the name of that athlete means something weird in Greek" topic? :-)
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 10:31 AM   #21070
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

"One thing led to another..."
(we were young and we would scream together songs unsung)
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 10:53 AM   #21071
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I wonder why is not known in Eastern Spain (including the Balearic islands), despite in Catalan "shit" is spelt the same way as Italian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
And what about Nicholas N'Koulou? His surname meaning "in the butt". I read somwhere a jolly journalist went to the streets in Naples asking "allora, l'avete preso N'Kolou?" (so, did you get/take N'Koulou)

Or what about world famous Kakŕ (shi*ting)... "
In Spanish Kaka sounds like "caca" which means "poo". And we have had two footballers with that surname playing in Spain.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 07:11 PM   #21072
volodaaaa

Currently, I'm planning a holiday in Greece with my fiancee. We would like to travel there by car. The only problem is, the official owner of the car I drive is my mother. Do you think it may be a problem especially on border checks?

A friend of mine had a negative experience on Ukrainian entrance check. His sister owned the car and was not present, so the border policeman did not wanted to let him in and sent him back to Slovakia because of that.

Old July 10th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #21073
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4016

In Serbia we have so called "autorisation to drive another person's vehicle abroad". It's issued by AMSS (Serbian autoclub) equivavelnt of Slovakian SATC. So contact your local SATC branch.
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 07:25 PM   #21074
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

I always drove into Serbia with my father's car. I was never asked about anything.
We have the same family name, but not the same name.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 10:06 PM   #21075
volodaaaa

Thank you guys. I still don't know why I am supposed to have any additional documents if I have green card, vehicle registration certificate and my surname in my ID card and passport is the same as my mom's (in green card and certificate).

Old July 10th, 2013, 10:09 PM   #21076
Lum Lumi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1531

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Thank you guys. I still don't know why I am supposed to have any additional documents if I have green card, vehicle evidence certificate and my surname in my ID card and passport is the same as my mom's (in green card and certificate).
Because your mother may have not given you permission to drive her car to a foreign country. Not saying that this is the case here, but that's one reason why you need to have written authorization from her, and notarized by relevant state-sanctioned officials.
Lum Lumi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 10:15 PM   #21077
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lum Lumi View Post
Because your mother may have not given you permission to drive her car to a foreign country. Not saying that this is the case here, but that's one reason why you need to have written authorization from her, and notarized by relevant state-sanctioned officials.
But why should be foreign police even bothered about that? The only person who may bother about that is my mum. Isn't it private affair? I will also borrow sun umbrella and deckchairs from my parents. Should I have permission to use them too?

Old July 10th, 2013, 10:18 PM   #21078
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

my car is still on my fathers name and I drove it everywhere, had some police checks in Austria, Italy and France, no problems, but I never drove outside EU
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 11:08 PM   #21079
bogdymol
bogdymod

I drove my parents car in Serbia, Hungary, Austria, Croatia, Slovenia and Italy without any special documents.

I also drove a car from my company in Romania without problems (car registered in Austria).
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 12:38 AM   #21080
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2305

Google Maps got a fresh new update.
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways