daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 7th, 2009, 10:17 PM   #2101
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Coldest was -20,8 in the Netherlands!
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 7th, 2009, 10:21 PM   #2102
Majestic
Systematic Chaos

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Coldest was -20,8 in the Netherlands!
What is even more amazing is that 20 degree temperature difference within your country
Majestic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 10:37 PM   #2103
DJZG
...rodjen na Balkanu...

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestic View Post
What is even more amazing is that 20 degree temperature difference within your country
yep... thats even more weird...
but that would be so crazy if something like that happened in luxembourg
Old January 7th, 2009, 10:52 PM   #2104
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Today on my bike was horrible, really. I got at school as a small yeti and it was f*cking slippery. Tomorrow it will be very slippery, since all snow melted and it is going to freeze tonight
Old January 7th, 2009, 11:07 PM   #2105
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3442

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestic View Post
You guys are crazy to cycle anywhere with those temperatures.
Lol. Had no choice. Otherwise Im too late on my school.
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 11:09 PM   #2106
DJZG
...rodjen na Balkanu...

yeah... don't cycle on this freezing time... where is the public transport dammit
Old January 7th, 2009, 11:21 PM   #2107
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It takes a staggering 49 minutes to reach my work 2 kilometers away with public transport. Dammit, crawling is faster.
Old January 7th, 2009, 11:53 PM   #2108
Majestic
Systematic Chaos

Quote:
It takes a staggering 49 minutes to reach my work 2 kilometers away with public transport. Dammit, crawling is faster.
Oh crap, your PT sucks balls really! In my city it's the best way to get around. I don't use it though. Instead I take a 25 min walk which saves me quite some money
Old January 8th, 2009, 12:08 AM   #2109
DJZG
...rodjen na Balkanu...

wow... 49mins? how is that possible... how do people travel with PT...
my daily routine is two bus lines and three tram lines and that takes me around an hour... distance is around 20-25kms...
Old January 8th, 2009, 12:20 AM   #2110
Timon91
Error

For me, the bus is quicker, it only takes 30 minutes. However, I only use it when it really rains hard, I still prefer biking. The bus is mostly late anyway, and the timetable sucks. For example, it arrives at school at 8:29. The bus is always two or three minutes late. So you are too late when you get that bus (when starting at 8:30), and you have to take a bus earlier, causing you to be half an hour to early. Furthermore, it's quite expensive. Really, biking is lovely. It gives me some exercise anyway, because I don't have any since the baseball season is over (not that baseball is very physical, but still )
Old January 8th, 2009, 12:28 AM   #2111
DJZG
...rodjen na Balkanu...

well that can suck real hard if bus lates and earlier would take you waiting in school for half an hour...
my bus timetable is every 25mins, and still sometimes sucks cause i come early... or when i'm going back home at evening i miss bus in one minute then wait for second one 25mins on a freezing wind...

still i live on hills and as soon as i leave house there is a huuge hill above me... with bicycle i always die till i climb up... then i lose all my will to cycle further and go back home... and thats only the first 400meters... and city is 5kms further with more hills to conquer... my road for cyclists is to die for
Old January 8th, 2009, 12:28 AM   #2112
Majestic
Systematic Chaos

It's good for you to have some sort of a biking culture in the Netherlands. In Poland it would be somewhat difficult for me to get around by bike. We still lack biking infrastructure (bike lanes and designated parking spots) and when driving a street you are most possibly to get killed by some attentionless driver. It's also risky to leave your bike anywhere outside as thefts are quite common. Fortunately more and more paths are being constructed and form what I've noticed people's bias is changing in favor of biking year after year.
Old January 8th, 2009, 12:34 AM   #2113
DJZG
...rodjen na Balkanu...

same thing here too... eastern countries didn't pay attention to biking before 90's... now our city is building tracks all over streets and lots of people are starting to cycling through city's traffic...
our future will be like netherlands i'm sure
Old January 8th, 2009, 12:35 AM   #2114
Timon91
Error

Poland has potential to become a biking country as well. Especially the flat northern part of Poland. And yes, separate biking lanes are needed. There is a very dangerous road in the centre of Breukelen where I go to school, because the bike lanes are too narrow over there. A few years ago, a teacher of mine almost got killed over there.

By the way, driving in a car through Amsterdam is a nightmare. Bikers all around you sneaking through. Bikers are sometimes more dangerous and reckless (don't look at me now )
Old January 8th, 2009, 09:34 AM   #2115
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Netherlands has some fortunate circumstances to encourage cycling.

1) The long history with cycling
2) Relatively short distances inside most cities (no megacities here)
3) Weather permits cycling most of the time
4) Geography also permits cycling
5) lack of alternatives for students (no schoolbuses or som'thng)

If you look at it around the world, there are not that many countries that have these circumstances. Cycling isn't much fun when it's moist and 35 C or freezing, or very windy, or hilly, or large urbanized areas etc. Count those and you'll see cycling will never get a large modal split in countries like the United States, Australia, Germany, Spain, Italy etc like in the Netherlands.
Old January 8th, 2009, 11:53 AM   #2116
DJZG
...rodjen na Balkanu...

thats true... when you look at country level netherlands is very convenient for cyclists...
but also you can look on lower level of cities... then you can consider some german and italian cities as cycle friendly...
i can make some examples from croatia... eastern parts of country are mostly flat, and some cities are known by a big share of cyclists in town... people like using them for smaller distances and where hills don't exist...

on the other hand... you can observe Vietnam and SE Asia countries, partly including china too, and they have very large amount of bicycles but still situated in very warm region, inside big cities like Ho Chi Minh or Hanoi, but processes there were different than european and people rely on bicycles cause there isn't a good alternative to a cheap travelling...
Old January 8th, 2009, 12:14 PM   #2117
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Funny, there's now 9 kilometer traffic jam on N201 and A2 near Vinkeveen due to iceskaters
Old January 8th, 2009, 12:20 PM   #2118
DJZG
...rodjen na Balkanu...

Quote:
Funny, there's now 9 kilometer traffic jam on N201 and A2 near Vinkeveen due to iceskaters
lol how is that possible? did they close down the road or what?
Old January 8th, 2009, 12:35 PM   #2119
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Too many people want to skate at the same time. It's near both Utrecht and Amsterdam.
Old January 8th, 2009, 12:47 PM   #2120
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
I don't have any since the baseball season is over (not that baseball is very physical, but still )
I've heard baseball is somewhat popular in The Netherlands...is that the case?
Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways