daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 11th, 2013, 02:03 PM   #21501
piotr71

I've bought some wines on my trip to Hungary...and few other countries:

Orionol liked this post

Last edited by piotr71; August 11th, 2013 at 02:16 PM.
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2013, 02:04 PM   #21502
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post

They saw you
so much aurorae. it's interesting how much of solar wind ends up in our athmosphere despite the magnetic field.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2013, 04:15 PM   #21503
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
so much aurorae. it's interesting how much of solar wind ends up in our athmosphere despite the magnetic field.
It's quite the opposite. Terrestrial magnetic field drives charged particles from the Sun towards the atmosphere. Particles kind of "orbit" around magnetic field lines and lose energy by emitting cyclotron radiation. Slowed down particles hit atmospheric atoms and voilà the aurora
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2013, 04:58 PM   #21504
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 780

You really shouldn't post things like that before people's caffeine has kicked in....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2013, 05:05 PM   #21505
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
You really shouldn't post things like that before people's caffeine has kicked in....
It's 4 PM here. I already climbed two mountains today and got back home.

I always am too eurocentric
Old August 11th, 2013, 05:08 PM   #21506
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
It's quite the opposite. Terrestrial magnetic field drives charged particles from the Sun towards the atmosphere. Particles kind of "orbit" around magnetic field lines and lose energy by emitting cyclotron radiation. Slowed down particles hit atmospheric atoms and voilà the aurora
thanks. so that slowed down particles are harmless for earth athmosphere?
Old August 11th, 2013, 05:13 PM   #21507
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
thanks. so that slowed down particles are harmless for earth athmosphere?
Solar wind, except during solar storms, is essentially harmless. Our magnetic field does an excellent job in repelling these charged particles - or attracting them towards the ionosphere. When they hit atoms in the ionosphere, they transfer another part of their energy to those atoms' electrons, exciting them. Since this excited state is not stable, after a while they un-excite themselves and emit the aurora radiation.

So when you see an aurora it's basically the atmosphere telling you "don't worry: I'm protecting you"
Old August 11th, 2013, 05:26 PM   #21508
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

And that's a great way to describe it

Through the ISS video I realize we (Italy) have an incredible amount of light pollution, compared to other Western European countries...

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2013, 07:26 PM   #21509
Fane40
Landes-40-SW of F.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post

Yes ! Tokaj !
A fabulous sweet wine !
Where are others from ?
Fane40 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2013, 09:30 PM   #21510
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
And that's a great way to describe it

Through the ISS video I realize we (Italy) have an incredible amount of light pollution, compared to other Western European countries...
we also have a light polution - a storm (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG0fTKAqZ5g#t=01m07s)

there was a fire on Kras, a cool photo of helicopter getting water:

http://www.rtvslo.si/okolje/foto-in-...-lucami/315051
Old August 12th, 2013, 04:58 AM   #21511
albertocsc
Translator and traveller

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Nice campaign held by a local chocolate producer from Romania:

PS: for those of you that don't know: many international artists that had a concert in Romania said "Welcome to Budapest" (instead of Bucharest), and 400 football fans that wanted to see last year's Europa League Final in Bucharest arrived by mistake in Budapest.
Rom means Rum in Romanian? Btw, I love that, particularly the ice creams
albertocsc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 05:02 AM   #21512
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Likes (Received): 9721

No wonder that campaign exist in the first place .
bozenBDJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 05:11 AM   #21513
albertocsc
Translator and traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post

I see a Georgian and a French bottle, and two more from Romania (that Vița one is made in Vincon?).

Last, Cricova wine is from Moldova, one of the best in the country. That is a nice winery in a nice village with splendid views. We visited it last month. Only bad part was that it was a little bit guarded.

Maybe when I upload my pictures, I will tell you more about this stuff.
Old August 12th, 2013, 12:31 PM   #21514
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18300

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapman:cz View Post
Please, be nicely welcomed in CZ Many roadworks are to expect so I recommend to plan your trip well ...

mapa.dopravniinfo.cz
www.tomtom.com/livetraffic

Returned yesterday evening from trip in CZ - map. Everything was nice.
Roads are pretty much in good or acceptable shape, although some could be better, including motorways.

I was stopped at the border crossing to Germany, but after greeting wit "Grüß Gott", waved to pass.

Last edited by cinxxx; August 12th, 2013 at 03:37 PM.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 02:47 PM   #21515
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

This is almost a year old but I found it now. A 18-meters truck followed the GPS and ended on the Gavia Pass in Lombardy, Italy (2621 m).
This is one of the most scary roads in the Alps, only 3 meters wide and no crashbarriers.
It's even dangerous by car, I cannot imagine a such big truck there.

Some years ago I was in Ponte di Legno (BS) and we decided to drive up there just to see how it was. But we realized that it was late and we had to go home so we didn't.
At home I watched a Youtube video about this road (there are many) and I said: "Better that we didn't go there"...
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

yabbes liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 04:02 PM   #21516
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Nice pic! I'd love to hear how did they remove the truck

Yesterday I drove SS 345 in its entirety, including the 7-km-long unpaved stretch, above 2000 m in Brescian prealps... It was scary at times, expecially when you encounter a SUV coming from the opposite direction on 2.5 m wide sections, or when you have to hit the brake in downhill sections just before a curve... on gravel, brakes are almost useless and when you see the edge of the curve coming towards you fast, you picture yourself on the ravine 500 m below...

The road in its wider stretch (my car also visible):

Barely visible here, zigzagging south, up to the big antennae:

This is Monte Bazena and SS 345 (paved here) going down from Passo Crocedomini to Breno:
Old August 13th, 2013, 11:16 PM   #21517
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fane40 View Post
Yes ! Tokaj !
A fabulous sweet wine !
Where are others from ?
Not every Tokaj is sweet. Those on the picture are not highest quality (high, but not highest). They are not made with so called "aszu", which is very particular and main ingredient used in sweet Tokajs. Sweetness of Tokaj Aszu
is measured in "puttonyos".

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertocsc View Post
I see a Georgian and a French bottle, and two more from Romania (that Vița one is made in Vincon?).

Last, Cricova wine is from Moldova, one of the best in the country. That is a nice winery in a nice village with splendid views. We visited it last month. Only bad part was that it was a little bit guarded.

Maybe when I upload my pictures, I will tell you more about this stuff.
Cricova sounds really impressive. What about this one:
Quote:
Stretching for 250 km, of which only 120 km are currently in use, the Mileştii Mici cellar complex is also the largest in the world. In 2007 Mileştii Mici wine cellars were noted in Guinness World Records 2007 Yearbook, for having the largest (2 million) wine collections in the world.
Quote:
that Vița one is made in Vincon?]
Yea, it's Vincon.
Old August 14th, 2013, 12:21 AM   #21518
albertocsc
Translator and traveller

I have not been to Mileștii Mici yet, but maybe next time I go to Moldova I could try to visit it

Every time I go there I spend time visiting wineries, so if you like any more Moldovan (or Romanian) wines, tell me and you can have it (or just some info) soon.
Old August 14th, 2013, 03:18 AM   #21519
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 780

Random Driving Question of the Day for Europeans:

I assume you have to renew your licenses from time to time? Does the current one come with a record of how long you've been driving?

Reason I'm asking is, I was killing time on line while waiting for my computer to run a scan and, since I've been vaguely hoping to take a European road trip in the near future, I just went on impulse to europcar.com (first rental firm that came to mind, probably because their green flags were all over the Tour de France course along with all the national, regional and, um, aspirational* ones) to see if I could get some idea of costs...

I came across this in their Terms and Conditions:

Quote:
2 PREREQUISITES: WHAT DO YOU NEED IN ORDER TO RENT A VEHICLE?
You must hold and produce a driving licence valid in the country where the rental takes place. The driving licence must have been issued by authorised authorities at least 12 months before the date of the commencement of the rental....
Problem! We renew our licenses every four years in Pennsylvania, my current one is only a few months old, and says so. (Fortunately, I never threw out the previous one.) I'm not expecting anyone here to know whether Europcar would be satisfied by my producing the old and new together, but is there no such thing as a respectable 49-year-old Dutchman with a clean, 30-year driving record but a license issued three months ago? Surely they wouldn't want to be turning such people away....

This may be a stupid question, but I haven't rented a car in years, and never outside the U.S.

EDIT: Obviously, when I really need to know the answer, I'll ask the rental company involved, and probably talk to the nice people down at the AAA (aaa.com) before that....

*By "aspirational" flags, I mean things like Catalan-independentist flags.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2013, 04:21 AM   #21520
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

The question is not stupid. I never thought about it only because my license is still "new", in its first 10-years round

So, I searched about the Italian system and discovered I will receive* a sticker with the new expiration date, to be applied on the old license.
Doesn't seem high-end tech, but it works... although I'd prefer a completely new plastic card.

So, the license will still show the date of original issue (and the ugly picture I took when I was maybe 16).

I have no idea about the systems of our EU fellows.

* Gosh, I have a serious problem with that: I continuously swap it with "recieve". I must Google that every time!

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways