daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 17th, 2013, 10:13 AM   #21561
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18308

I'm greeting you from Switzerland. Weather is wonderful.

But driving discipline is horrible, so many people hogging the left lane, it stressed me a lot, also pretty much traffic, even late in the evening. And in towns, cyclists are all over the streets, driving like crazy, almost no cycle paths on the sidewalk, they drive in the middle of the road, on tram tracks...
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 17th, 2013, 11:16 PM   #21562
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4006

Meanwhile (actually 2 years ago ) in Arad:

http://goo.gl/maps/lz2WN

bgd77 liked this post
Alex_ZR está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2013, 12:20 AM   #21563
Peines
Peter

Likes (Received): 99

bgd77 liked this post
Peines no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2013, 09:44 PM   #21564
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 896

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
About time! M25 finally open for business!
I highly doubt that it'll make any difference, especially not on the M25, I don't think that anything applies on the M25 .

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Why should they? I'm personally against all such discrimination towards beginner drivers (max 100 on motorways, not powerful cars, double penalities, no rental cars). You're a beginner for the first months, not 3 years.
I got my licence when I was 17, I can't rent a car till I'm 25, which is 8 years. It does sound like a long time but then I see how a good deal of young drivers drive...
DanielFigFoz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2013, 09:51 PM   #21565
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

If they were to enforce lane discipline strictly, you might not get these typical UK situations with freight on lane one, an empty middle lane, and practically stationary traffic on lane three.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2013, 09:59 PM   #21566
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2114

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Why should they? I'm personally against all such discrimination towards beginner drivers (max 100 on motorways, not powerful cars, double penalities, no rental cars). You're a beginner for the first months, not 3 years.
I may be a slow learner, but I really learnt how to drive after 10 years and an accident. Before that I could drive, but I didn't really know how to drive.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2013, 10:28 PM   #21567
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

Driving experience expressed in years doesn't tell the whole story. I know people who have a driving license for 6 years, but do not own a car (still live with their parents) and barely drive.

I'd say that 100 000 kilometers of driving experience makes you an experienced driver. But you never stop to learn on the road, even experienced drivers make mistakes, including me.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

bogdymol, Wilhem275 liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2013, 11:46 PM   #21568
bogdymol
bogdymod

Beeing an experienced driver count both km's driven and years of experience, but it's very important km/year ratio.

For example, I have an aunt that has her license for 20 years, but I've never seen her driving. But she is an "experienced" driver since she "drives" for 20 years without any accident of traffic fine.

On the other hand, I have a cousin that when he turned 18 he got his license and was hired as a driver in one of his friend's companies. He drove a lot of km's every day in entier Europe because this was his job... and soon he started to drive also trucks. It's clear that after 1 year he had more experience than many people get in 10 years of driving.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 01:14 AM   #21569
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

It depends also by the kind of driving you are accustomed to. Many people have driven for decades, but never or almost never outside their local area. Thus, they would have problems to drive in unfamiliar scenarios like motorways, big cities (if they live in small towns) or mountain roads (if they live in flat areas).
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 01:16 AM   #21570
italystf

@bodgymol
Today I saw an exhibition of the Frecce Tricolori in Lignano.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

bogdymol liked this post
Old August 19th, 2013, 03:17 AM   #21571
makaveli6
(:

Likes (Received): 1319

Greetings from Gdansk, just got here from Riga. Drove for the first time on any Polish motorway (A1). Those Polish truck drivers on 5xx roads are just crazy. I was driving on this very rural road somewhere near Ketrzyn in the middle of the night. I cant remember which number it was, but it was very narrow and the weather was very foggy (I couldn't see anything further than 5 meters away from me). And those truck drivers were just blasting these roads with 90km/h+ speed. It was a very scary experience, there were countless near head on collisions.

My clinched highways in Latvia (updated Jan 2018), Lithuania (updated Jan 2018) &
Poland.
makaveli6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 11:23 AM   #21572
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

My mother has had a driver license for approximately thirty years. She has driven no more than ten thousand kilometers in all her life, and all of them in her local environment, in some small towns and 1+1 roads between them.
(While my father had a license, my mother haven't driven at all, for several years. Nowadays my father has no license, my mother drives some 2,000 kms yearly).
But she's "experienced" :-)
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 12:35 PM   #21573
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Back home after 3575 km in 7 days in Romania, Hungary, Slovenia, Italy and San Marino. Awesome trip! I think I will share on SSC some pictures from the trip when I will have time.
I'm also just back from Stockholm, done over 4600 km in 12 days.
I'll post some thoughts later but for now most unexpected thing for me was pretty high rate of excessive speeding and road rage on Denmark motorways, by Danish drivers.

bogdymol liked this post
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 01:32 PM   #21574
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

I'm back from an 1850 km trip to Switzerland, Liechtenstein, France (Alsacia), Germany and Austria. Roadmap here

---

Meanwhile in Ingolstadt there's a hostage situation at the old town hall. Also priminister Merkel was expected today in the same are to hold a speech. Situation has nothing to do with her though, it seems a stalker escaped from psychiatry and went to the woman he stalked, that works in the town hall.

More in German here
Old August 19th, 2013, 02:03 PM   #21575
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
I'm also just back from Stockholm, done over 4600 km in 12 days.
I'll post some thoughts later but for now most unexpected thing for me was pretty high rate of excessive speeding and road rage on Denmark motorways, by Danish drivers.
Yes that always gets to me as well after returning from calm Sweden. These Danes are not pleasant drivers. Some are aggressive and fast, others are dead slow, none of them are really courtesies and lane discipline is never heard of.
Old August 19th, 2013, 02:14 PM   #21576
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
I'm back from an 1850 km trip to Switzerland, Liechtenstein, France (Alsacia), Germany and Austria. Roadmap here

---

Meanwhile in Ingolstadt there's a hostage situation at the old town hall. Also priminister Merkel was expected today in the same are to hold a speech. Situation has nothing to do with her though, it seems a stalker escaped from psychiatry and went to the woman he stalked, that works in the town hall.

More in German here
Where are you now?
Old August 19th, 2013, 02:14 PM   #21577
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Driving experience expressed in years doesn't tell the whole story. I know people who have a driving license for 6 years, but do not own a car (still live with their parents) and barely drive.

I'd say that 100 000 kilometers of driving experience makes you an experienced driver. But you never stop to learn on the road, even experienced drivers make mistakes, including me.
You never stop learning, you mean. ;-)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 02:16 PM   #21578
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2114

I'm back from a 200 km trip to Fassatal. Not really interesting per se, but I managed to climb 5 peaks in 3 days (40+ km on foot)
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 03:22 PM   #21579
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Where are you now?
I'm at work, in Gaimersheim Gewerbegebiet...
Old August 19th, 2013, 03:42 PM   #21580
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I'm back from a 200 km trip to Fassatal. Not really interesting per se, but I managed to climb 5 peaks in 3 days (40+ km on foot)
I though you were somewhere in Austria before realizing that Fassatal was the famous valley in Trentino between Moena and Canazei that we call Val di Fassa (where I spent summer holidays in 2010-11-12).
I never heard the German name in Italy, cause it's in Trentino, not Alto Adige and thus not bilingual.
Anyway, nice mountains there.

Tags
highways, motorways