daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 22nd, 2013, 10:24 AM   #21601
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

Who do you think is the main culprit that caused this?

1) Mother nature?
or
2) Cheapshit, cost-cutting and shoddy/defective construction work?

SCTEX repair may take weeks
Report by Jorge Cariño, ABS-CBN News
Posted at 08/22/2013 1:19 AM | Updated as of 08/22/2013 1:19 AM

BCDA President Arnel Casanova stands over a fissure at Pasig-Potrero bridge in SCTEX. (Photo by Jorge Cariño, ABS-CBN News)

A worker tends a railing on the side of SCTEX. (Photo by Jorge Cariño, ABS-CBN News)

By the way, for those that don't know what "lahar" is, you can check it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lahar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
A lahar /ˈlɑːhɑr/ is a type of mudflow or debris flow composed of a slurry of pyroclastic material, rocky debris, and water. The material flows down from a volcano, typically along a river valley.[1] Lahars are extremely destructive: they can flow tens of meters per second, be 140 metres (460 ft) deep, and destroy any structures in their path.

And this also raises another question:
If there were vehicles and/or people in that area at that time, would any injury or damage result as part of "ACT OF GOD/FORCE MAJEURE"?

Or will the operator/builder of the expressway be liable to pay for damages and other form of compensation to injured or affected party? (especially if it was found that there are defects in construction)

P.S.
Has this even happened recently in first world/developed countries?

Or is this mainly a third world/developing country thing? (i.e. which can be related to cost-cutting and cheapening of construction budgets)
Blackraven está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 22nd, 2013, 10:41 AM   #21602
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post

1) Mother nature?
or

P.S.
Has this even happened recently in first world/developed countries?

Or is this mainly a third world/developing country thing? (i.e. which can be related to cost-cutting and cheapening of construction budgets)
In Italy it happened, even recently:

Keep in mind that bridges are designed to withstand a certain level of stress, if the stress goes further, it may collapse.
(And lahar doesn't happen every day)
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 02:51 PM   #21603
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

The bridge above (on the Po river, SS9 border Lombardy - Emilia Romagna) is 100 years old.

This bridge in Sicily also collapsed few years ago.

This bridge in Friuli collapsed during tests before its opening (2004)

“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 02:52 PM   #21604
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
This bridge in Friuli collapsed during tests before its opening (2004)

This is interesting. Never heard before of a bridge colapsing during the final tests. Do you have more details?
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 03:57 PM   #21605
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
This is interesting. Never heard before of a bridge colapsing during the final tests. Do you have more details?
https://maps.google.it/maps?q=Tramon...44.41,,0,20.83
They built a new bridge (made of reinforced concrete) to replace the old single-lane medieval bridge made of stone. On 15th December 2004, after completation, they drove 3 trucks full of gravel over the bridge to test it. The bridge collapsed immediately but fortunately the 3 drivers survived. The bridge was later reconstructed and opened on 25th July 2009.
In 2011 4 men that were responsible for the project were sentenced from 8 to 16 months of prison.
The bridge is on the road SS552 that was under ANAS until 2008 and now it's regional (SR552).
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 04:13 PM   #21606
italystf

informazioneveneta.blogspot.it/2008/04/perch-crollato-il-ponte-chiavalir.html
The number of screws used was 1\4 of those needed.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 04:34 PM   #21607
bogdymol
bogdymod

Thank you for your answers
Old August 22nd, 2013, 05:27 PM   #21608
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

I always considered the testing of the bridges is rather tricky for the drivers of those trucks/tanks whatever.

Part of the dynamic testing of Nuselský bridge in Prague in 1974 were done by using rocket engines. Are there any other possibilities that don't required manned operation (besides remotely controlled vehicles now a days)?

Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 05:39 PM   #21609
bogdymol
bogdymod

Now the most used method of testing is filling the bridge with trucks (or trains) fully loaded. With modern construction technology, bridge colapses should not appear even if the bridge is overloaded. The engineers are mostly measuring the bridge deformations and checking if this are in the limit or outside the limit.

Example: test loading of Vidin (BG) - Calafat (RO) bridge over Danube a few months ago:

crimio, Suburbanist liked this post
Old August 22nd, 2013, 06:04 PM   #21610
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post

1) Mother nature?
or
To choose between 1 or 2, you must consider the religious background of the country where the problem happened...

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 06:30 PM   #21611
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Now the most used method of testing is filling the bridge with trucks (or trains) fully loaded. With modern construction technology, bridge colapses should not appear even if the bridge is overloaded. The engineers are mostly measuring the bridge deformations and checking if this are in the limit or outside the limit.
Yes, but 2004 is not that long ago, is it? I mean, is there any other way?
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 07:01 PM   #21612
bogdymol
bogdymod

Indeed, 2004 is not so far away and we can call it "modern construction era".

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
informazioneveneta.blogspot.it/2008/04/perch-crollato-il-ponte-chiavalir.html
The number of screws used was 1\4 of those needed.
This could happen because of 2 reasons:

1. The project designer had misscalculated or made an error in the design, so the number of screws was insufficient.
I doubt a little bit that this was the problem, because such projects are verified before construction starts by other engineers.

2. The company that built the bridge mounted just 1/4 of the screws from the project.
I also doubt this situation because on such a project there is always some engineer (that is not an employee of the constructions company) that checks every stage of the execution and who would make a report about any things done wrong. More, if it was a metalic bridge, the girdens and trusses come from the factory with the necessary screw holes (not too many, not too few, but the exact number of holes that need to have a screw inside).
Old August 22nd, 2013, 07:07 PM   #21613
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 897

They wanted to save money on screws and hoped they'd get away with it.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 09:40 PM   #21614
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3446

i don't remember road bridge collapses in Croatia, but there was a railroad bridge failure in 2009. that is freight railroad and it collapsed under heavy freight train, which miracleously succeeded to cross it. i wouldn't be at that engineer's situation feeling the bridge collapsing under his train.
the reason of the bridge failure is uncontrolled exploitation of gravel near the bridge.

Old August 22nd, 2013, 09:43 PM   #21615
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4006

This bridge in Serbia collapsed in 2005 under 69 tons crane:

Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 10:32 PM   #21616
italystf

The most famous bridge ever collapsed:

A similar, recent, oscillation episode in Russia, but they managed to repair it before collapse:

Bridge over Tagliamento river collapsed during a flooding on 4th November 1966 (half of Italy went underwater that day, including the terrible flooding in Florence).
Old August 23rd, 2013, 02:51 AM   #21617
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21248

A neat graph

Wilhem275, bozenBDJ, crimio liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 09:50 AM   #21618
bogdymol
bogdymod

Bucharest traffic:

Old August 23rd, 2013, 09:57 AM   #21619
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2114

So in Bucharest red lights never turn green?
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 04:58 PM   #21620
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Slovenian railway network. Gdynia, Paris, Ankara. Maribor, Udine and Verona are also a bit misplaced.

Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways