daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 8th, 2013, 08:29 PM   #21801
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 8th, 2013, 09:11 PM   #21802
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
If you have nothing else to do, this American trucker set up a website with real-time tracking (GPS) and real time 10s-interval camera spanshots of his trips http://bigrigtravels.net/broadcastpagewide.html
I assume (and hope) he's not taking the pictures manually. What I'd like to know is, how do you do that? 'Cause I'd like to start contributing trip pix to this forum but have no idea how to set that up.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2013, 09:30 PM   #21803
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I assume (and hope) he's not taking the pictures manually. What I'd like to know is, how do you do that? 'Cause I'd like to start contributing trip pix to this forum but have no idea how to set that up.
Oh, no.

He has equipment installed on his truck. A GPS tracker (there is a link on his webpage). He also probably have a decoder that sends images and videos with a cellphone connection, which is why he can broadcast pics and even videos (but the latter only on areas likely served with very good cell phone).

He essentially made his truck monitoring system public and put it on a website (fleet companies normally can have this info and this equip).
Old September 8th, 2013, 11:07 PM   #21804
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

There are a lot of storm chasers that are streaming live during severe weather outbreaks on the plains. You can see some highway driving in the hours before the storms, mostly the midwestern states.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 12:32 AM   #21805
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
If you have nothing else to do, this American trucker set up a website with real-time tracking (GPS) and real time 10s-interval camera spanshots of his trips http://bigrigtravels.net/broadcastpagewide.html
Nice! Bookmarked . Apparently he is now on westbound I-70 in Western Colorado.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 02:06 AM   #21806
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
There are a lot of storm chasers that are streaming live during severe weather outbreaks on the plains. You can see some highway driving in the hours before the storms, mostly the midwestern states.
So is it a webcam they have, and that this trucker has? I was interested in the idea of being able to just set a camera to take photos every ten seconds (or minute, or whatever...) that you can look through later for good ones, so you can focus on driving.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 06:46 PM   #21807
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Nice! Bookmarked . Apparently he is now on westbound I-70 in Western Colorado.
at around 21h CET he should be passing through Las Vegas
Old September 9th, 2013, 07:14 PM   #21808
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Certainly, there is an app for such purpose. All you need is an internet connection and working camera. To get more precise results, GPS is recommend to attach geotags on every shot image.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 09:51 PM   #21809
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
at around 21h CET he should be passing through Las Vegas
I watched Big Rig Steve last night from West of Grand Junction to the CO/UT border (it was already 00:30 here when he made there), and then today from Richfield UT, where he spent last night (already morning here), to the Clear Creek Canyon. Anyway, in 3/4 of hour he will be in Las Vegas. I have estimated that he will arrive to Rancho Cucamonga CA by 04:00 CEST.

Edit: Huh, he has taken exit 75 (off NV I-15) to Crystal. Time for a rest, I guess.

Edit2: Yup, a rest. Apparently he is having some issues with livestream: http://blog.18wheelsacrossamerica.net/ustream/.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

Last edited by CNGL; September 9th, 2013 at 10:09 PM.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 11:28 PM   #21810
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

For Scandnavian folk: what's the exact explanation of this?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 02:21 AM   #21811
riiga

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
For Scandnavian folk: what's the exact explanation of this?
We are very secular societies, and religion is a very personal thing that is kept out of discussions most of the time. Using religion as an excuse for something, or as a political platform, etc is very hard to do here and won't be looked upon very positively.

Last time I checked the statistic, here in Sweden regular church attendence (Sunday services) are down to about 1 % of the population. For the US I would estimate the same statistic as being well over 40 %...
riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 11:22 AM   #21812
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by riiga View Post
We are very secular societies, and religion is a very personal thing that is kept out of discussions most of the time. Using religion as an excuse for something, or as a political platform, etc is very hard to do here and won't be looked upon very positively.

Last time I checked the statistic, here in Sweden regular church attendence (Sunday services) are down to about 1 % of the population. For the US I would estimate the same statistic as being well over 40 %...
But I didn't understand why almost all Nordics are enthusiast about the USA but the Finns aren't.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old September 10th, 2013, 11:27 AM   #21813
italystf

Last year this bridge collapsed during a flooding.

Now I found on Facebook a scary pic taken by a driver an istant before.

He probably had to change his pants once at home.

After:

g.spinoza liked this post
Old September 10th, 2013, 11:28 AM   #21814
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Likes (Received): 9721

Anyone knows on which highway(s) these 2 photos were taken (AT and/ CZ) ?

image hosted on flickr

Road of Trees by acencen, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Welcome to Praha! by acencen, on Flickr
bozenBDJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 11:50 AM   #21815
italystf

The second one it's obviously there: https://maps.google.it/maps?q=Pr%C5%...321.37,,0,0.19

The first one can be pretty anywhere.
Old September 10th, 2013, 12:22 PM   #21816
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

^ That first one is either in Austria or in the Czech Republic (since his trip [so far] includes only those 2) .
Old September 10th, 2013, 12:34 PM   #21817
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

^ According to crash barrier condition, the first one is rather from Czech republic.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 03:02 PM   #21818
italystf

Meanwhile in Eraclea, Veneto

Wilhem275 liked this post
Old September 10th, 2013, 03:08 PM   #21819
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

How did the car drive around with that surfboard?
Old September 10th, 2013, 03:53 PM   #21820
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozenBDJ View Post
How did the car drive around with that surfboard?
I guess with 4 wheels and a driver
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways