daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 12th, 2013, 07:32 PM   #21861
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2114

Oddly enough, aircrafts' altitude is still measured in feet worldwide.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2013, 07:36 PM   #21862
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

The Netherlands uses the Beaufort Scale (bft) for wind speeds, which is not an SI unit either. Severe wind gusts are given in km/h though, but no Dutch would know what kind of wind 6 m/s is.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 07:59 PM   #21863
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

That's international (not only Netherlands) because it's nautical. Sea people are always using weird units like nautical mile, knots, fathoms and whatnot.

To be precise, though, the Beaufort scale does not measure wind speed, it's only an empirical and subjective estimate of its effect. Let's say, Beaufort scale is to wind what Mercalli scale is to earthquakes: no one should seriously use that. It's like saying that "hot" is a measure of temperature.
Old September 12th, 2013, 08:23 PM   #21864
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Another situation where an Imperial unit is still used worldwide is the size of set TV screens. They're commercially measured in inches, although I've seen some labels with the conversion in centimeters too.

Sea distances aren't measured in km either, but in marine miles, that are different from Imperial road miles (1852m vs 1609m). 1852m it's 1/60 of the distance between two parallels.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 08:25 PM   #21865
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

So, what is your opinion?

In Hungary, many people discuss about a story these days.
An old man, supposed to be about 80, got on a bus. The driver asked him to show a ticket (in Budapest bus drivers have to check the tickets in several bus lines) and the man had nothing. He said he was older than 65 (in Hungary riding a bus is free for all people over 65) but had not any pass or document to prove it.
The driver asked him to leave the bus. He did not want to do it, sayin' he was old enough to ride free, and then the driver shouted and sent him off the bus.

So, what do you think did the driver well, or, on the contrary, it was a wrong behavior and he should have let the man taking the bus? Is the old man a a victim, or a bastard that want to take without having a pass?

In Hungary the story has a secondary importance, too, but before talking about it I would like to know how people from other countries see it.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 08:25 PM   #21866
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Another situation where an Imperial unit is still used worldwide is the size of set TV screens. They're commercially measured in inches, although I've seen some labels with the conversion in centimeters too.
Or disk sizes, hard or floppy.
Old September 12th, 2013, 08:27 PM   #21867
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
So, what is your opinion?

In Hungary, many people discuss about a story these days.
An old man, supposed to be about 80, got on a bus. The driver asked him to show a ticket (in Budapest bus drivers have to check the tickets in several bus lines) and the man had nothing. He said he was older than 65 (in Hungary riding a bus is free for all people over 65) but had not any pass or document to prove it.
The driver asked him to leave the bus. He did not want to do it, sayin' he was old enough to ride free, and then the driver shouted and sent him off the bus.

So, what do you think did the driver well, or, on the contrary, it was a wrong behavior and he should have let the man taking the bus? Is the old man a a victim, or a bastard that want to take without having a pass?

In Hungary the story has a secondary importance, too, but before talking about it I would like to know how people from other countries see it.
I can't see the problem here. If the rule is "show your ID to prove your age", the old man was wrong and the driver was right. The man could have been 62 but in bad shape.
Old September 12th, 2013, 08:31 PM   #21868
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Or disk sizes, hard or floppy.
I forgot that. I guess it's almost a decade since I last used one of those 3,5 inches black plastic square thing.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old September 12th, 2013, 08:34 PM   #21869
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I can't see the problem here. If the rule is "show your ID to prove your age", the old man was wrong and the driver was right. The man could have been 62 but in bad shape.
The driver shouldn't have shouted, though.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 08:41 PM   #21870
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3445

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post

Sea distances aren't measured in km either, but in marine miles, that are different from Imperial road miles (1852m vs 1609m). 1852m it's 1/60 of the distance between two parallels.
or tyres dimensions, or bicycle frames, or plank dimensions, or container dimensions
Old September 12th, 2013, 08:56 PM   #21871
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

I used to think golf holes were measured in yards only. This changed when I saw in a golf course near here that the hole info signs stated the lenght in meters.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 09:02 PM   #21872
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

Is an AU (Astronomic Unit) SI?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 09:03 PM   #21873
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Is an AU (Astronomic Unit) SI?
Not in the slightest bit.
As for length, only meter and its multiples are allowed.
Old September 12th, 2013, 09:05 PM   #21874
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Interesting video arguing why low speed limits are bad

[url]

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 09:28 PM   #21875
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Wheel rims are in " too, and some plumbing pipes.

Actually I'm iffy even about the concept of "km/h" (and mph too).

One of my utopian ideas it to convert vehicles speedometers from km/h to m/s.
For our uncivilized friends on the wrong side of the pond, the conversion would be from mph to "bare feet with untrimmed nails per sexagesimal fortnight"

The reason is to make drivers more aware of how much space they actually need to stop, because the important thing in driving is to know what will happen in moments, not in one hour.
Everyone can easily relate with a space measured in a few meters, or how long lasts a second, so even someone without scientific skills can easily figure a vehicle covering 14 meters in one second; thus understanding the difference between 14 m/s and 50 m/s.

Measuring speed in km/h has the only theoretical advantage of giving the idea of the time needed to cover a certain distance; but in fact the final average speed of a trip has really little to do with the driver's intention to keep a certain punctual speed.
Km/h and mph are useful to represent average speeds, but they're totally useless in figuring out the immediate dynamics of a vehicle.

As I driver, knowing that if I keep my speed I'll cover 50 km in 60 minutes is useless, since that speed won't be kept for more than a few minutes. We know it is the speed of urban areas only because it is a conventional limit, we're just used to it but the value has no real meaning to us.
Knowing that I'm covering 14 meters in the next second is much different, because I can actually see that distance as a point in front of me, and figure out that I will reach that point in a span of time which I know with precision.

It's just a problem of scale. The same reason we measure an athlete's lap as 41 seconds and not as 0,01139 hours...

And since psychologically it could be seen as "I'm going slower" (14 is much less than 50), speedometers should actually show "14,0", since 140 is much more than 50

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 10:24 PM   #21876
italystf

There was an internet joke about a guy caught driving at 179km\h in a 50 limit. He claimed that since the speed is measured in m\s in the SI he was OK because he was driving below 50m\s (that is 180km\h).

bogdymol liked this post
Old September 12th, 2013, 10:31 PM   #21877
bogdymol
bogdymod

Speaking about the SI and the americans not having SI: back in 2009 when I was in USA I was with my parents and we stayed at some friends. One day, my mom wanted to cook something 'romanian' and sent me to a supermarket (wallmart) to buy something (she made me a small list). When I got there I had some problems, because on the list she wrote 300 grams of X, 500 grams of Y, but none of the labels had grams on them, but oz or pounds.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 10:34 PM   #21878
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

A lot of consumer goods here have measurements in both systems. I thought most did.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 10:48 PM   #21879
italystf

Also here many liquid products have fl. oz. (fluid ounces) besides ml, probably because they're sold also in USA and UK.
Old September 13th, 2013, 01:06 AM   #21880
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

I remember having troubles cooking following an American recipe (can't remember what). I read about "teaspoon" and it didn't occur to me it was a unit of measure. I had teaspoons in different sizes and wasn't sure which one to use to measure the fluid...

Tags
highways, motorways