daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 13th, 2013, 04:02 AM   #21881
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
A little experiment: if, at the moment, you look at the Weather Channel's ten-day forecast for Philadelphia (http://www.weather.com/weather/tenda...+PA+19103:4:US), you see highs for Friday, Sunday and Monday of 75, 76 and 74. If you switch it to Celsius - an option they do give you - those three values become two: two 24s and a 23.

(Of course, it cuts the other way with miles and kilometers, but I'm going to pretend I didn't realize that.)

EDIT: Any way you measure it, those temperatures are much more reasonable for September than the 93F/34C we had yesterday, with high humidity.
I think the main problem with the Imperial system is not the granularity of the various units (i.e. there is nothing "better" about the length of 1 mile vs. 1 km - both are quite arbitrary).

I think the issue is rather with the entire system of measurement, and in particular how it handles things like conversions between different units, very small/large values, and reference points.

For example, in the metric system, expressing very small or large values can be done using prefixes that indicate powers of 10. This makes it easy to mentally perform arithmetic and conversions. On the other hand, converting inches to feet to yards to miles requires fairly complex arithmetic.

With regards to temperature, there is nothing inherently better about the Celsius unit compared to the Fahrenheit one, but I think that the reference values of 0 to 100 directly relating to the freezing and boiling points of water is more intuitive in everyday life, especially when it comes to the weather.

The other issue of course is standardization - there is of course the controversy of whether it is necessarily good to do things "the same as everyone else", but there are things that can be said in favour of using a globally standard system of measurement (can certainly avoid certain types of accidents).

I personally am more comfortable with SI measurements, since I was not born in North America, and Canada uses the metric system for distances/speeds and Celsius for temperature. However, since the Imperial system is still quite widespread here, I've learned to be comfortable with Imperial for certain measurements for which it is still more common (e.g. weight).

At the end of the day though, if one grew up with a certain system (e.g. Imperial), they are probably completely comfortable with it and just intuitively get a "feel" for the units, so it works for them. Try, however, to perform conversions from one unit to another, and you are in trouble. This is why SI is mainly used in science/engineering everywhere.

The other thing that many people in Canada find strange is that I prefer to use the 24-hour clock. It's quite funny because occasionally when people glance at the time display on my cell phone, they get amazed at the fact that I use "military time" .

Sponsored Links
Old September 13th, 2013, 06:31 AM   #21882
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

On a long term, not using SI as the "common" system may be a limit to scientific development, because students don't grow up with it but in many scientific fields they must use it.
Of course one can always learn it later, but there will always be a lack of confidence, as when an adult learns a new language from scratch.

My physicist friends, who work with US colleagues, tell me that of course those fellows use SI, but sometimes they feel a little estranged about units.

This could be a good point to begin introducing SI to kids in school (which probably already happens) and starting a serious program of conversion for the general public.

It seems that some think science could be communicated using imperial units, but I think this is as dumb as asserting the world shall use a common language different from English. It could, sure, but it would be an inefficient mess.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 01:57 PM   #21883
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Just received communication... I start my new job next monday :O
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 02:26 PM   #21884
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Congratulations. Have you found a place to live yet?
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 02:28 PM   #21885
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

Congratulations! I come back to Zaragoza in Monday too. More of the boring E07 motorway for me. But at least I will go either by bus or with a relative, who did what is considered impossible now here: Getting a job.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

g.spinoza liked this post
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 02:43 PM   #21886
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Congrats too! Is it a private or public research institute? (Maybe CNR?)

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 02:45 PM   #21887
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Quote:
Congratulations

I hope you don't have to commute 250 kilometers each way before finding a place to live in Torino.

I have several colleagues who commute 90 minutes one way, for relatively short distances (under 60 kilometers). They use public transport because the employer pays for it.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 02:54 PM   #21888
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post

Congratulations

I hope you don't have to commute 250 kilometers each way before finding a place to live in Torino.

I have several colleagues who commute 90 minutes one way, for relatively short distances (under 60 kilometers). They use public transport because the employer pays for it.
Won't they pay for fuel?
Old September 13th, 2013, 02:58 PM   #21889
bogdymol
bogdymod

Driving 500 km per day is too much for daily commute. I'm sure he will find proper accomodation in Turin area.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 03:04 PM   #21890
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1751

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Driving 500 km per day is too much for daily commute. I'm sure he will find proper accomodation in Turin area.
Proper commuting zone is within one hour isochrone. 250 km per direction is way too much for health and daily biorhytm

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 03:10 PM   #21891
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Right, one may commute 2×250km daily for a week, or perhaps for two weeks, until one finds a flat to rent, but no more.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 03:17 PM   #21892
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I do object to the term "imperial," though. The Empire is dead. Don't tell Road_UK. :-)
The Empire isn't dead, we just changed the name to Commonwealth. Speaking of which, when are you lot going to pay your back taxes?
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 03:36 PM   #21893
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Congratulations. Have you found a place to live yet?
Not yet found a place in Turin but I already have a couple appointments to see some flats. I think I'll go for Moncalieri or Nichelino, not Turin city, because I hope they're a bit cheaper and they still are very close to my workplace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
Congrats too! Is it a private or public research institute? (Maybe CNR?)
It is a public research institute called Inrim. Afaik it's not under CNR, but it depends directly from Ministry of Research and Education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Congratulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Proper commuting zone is within one hour isochrone. 250 km per direction is way too much for health and daily biorhytm
Commuting is out of the equation, not only for time but also for money. Back and forth is 40€ in tolls and about the same amount in diesel. Trains cost even more, 100€ for a round trip. I'm not willing to pay 80 bucks or more per day. I booked a hotel for few days at half that price.

However, my boss just mailed me, saying that they want to push my start day to november, since he and other people in the staff are currently abroad for service. So I'm waiting for (another) formal communication.

Thanks to you all for your support and interest!
Old September 13th, 2013, 03:44 PM   #21894
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
On a long term, not using SI as the "common" system may be a limit to scientific development, because students don't grow up with it but in many scientific fields they must use it.
Of course one can always learn it later, but there will always be a lack of confidence, as when an adult learns a new language from scratch.

My physicist friends, who work with US colleagues, tell me that of course those fellows use SI, but sometimes they feel a little estranged about units.

This could be a good point to begin introducing SI to kids in school (which probably already happens) and starting a serious program of conversion for the general public.

It seems that some think science could be communicated using imperial units, but I think this is as dumb as asserting the world shall use a common language different from English. It could, sure, but it would be an inefficient mess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Borg
You will be assimilated!

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Wilhem275 liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 04:03 PM   #21895
Road_UK
BANNED

Turin is nice. I used to go to the Iveco plant a lot. I think it's not far from where you'll be working: A4 from Milan until you get into Turin, past the Carrefour hypermarket - roundabout turn left. It's huge!
Grugliasco is also a regular of ours.
Old September 13th, 2013, 04:21 PM   #21896
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Turin is nice. I used to go to the Iveco plant a lot. I think it's not far from where you'll be working: A4 from Milan until you get into Turin, past the Carrefour hypermarket - roundabout turn left. It's huge!
Grugliasco is also a regular of ours.
If you mean Iveco at via Puglia, near Settimo Torinese... it's at the other part of the city!

But Turin is really nice!
Old September 13th, 2013, 04:59 PM   #21897
Road_UK
BANNED

It's on the Lungo Stura Lazio...
Old September 13th, 2013, 05:08 PM   #21898
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
It's on the Lungo Stura Lazio...
Yes, I meant that facility... maybe it has multiple entrances. However no, that's north Turin, my workplace is south.
Old September 13th, 2013, 05:22 PM   #21899
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:

Yes, I meant that facility... maybe it has multiple entrances. However no, that's north Turin, my workplace is south.
Ah ok... Yes that is the main goods entrance. After delivering I used to put my head down on the Carrefour car park and did my my shopping there after before heading towards France, Brenner, Switzerland or somewhere else for a reload...
Old September 13th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #21900
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

uups http://www.independent.ie/world-news...-29557503.html

Quote:
A ROMA family has become the first to be forcibly evicted by Dutch authorities and moved to a "scum village" constructed out of shipping containers on the outskirts of Amsterdam.
What does this remind me of.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways