daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 13th, 2013, 06:20 PM   #21901
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

That seems a good idea for certain people, it's a sort of "halfway" between freedom and jail.
There should be a such place in every large city, where people with antisocial behaviors (but who didn't committed crimes that justify a jail sentence) are forced to move. Those places shouldn't became lagers, of course, but rather rehabilitation centers where such people are assisted by psychiatrists. There should be a massive police presence around them, that prevent further troubles and check who enter and who leave.
It's not easy in the politically-correctness-dominated Europe, but usually this politically correctness is paid by honest people who feel unsafe because bad people are around unpunished. And, as usual, the Netherlands are progressive,...
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 13th, 2013, 06:23 PM   #21902
Lum Lumi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1531

Yes, next step is to start making them do hard labor for their freedom. That's pretty nice and progressive.
Lum Lumi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 06:36 PM   #21903
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
Now why would you bring that up and start a flame war again? I'm sure there are low-moderated threads on this subject in several skybars where you can take that shit....
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 06:37 PM   #21904
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Why do we talk about gypsies so often?

Road_UK liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 06:39 PM   #21905
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Why do we talk about gypsies so often?
They seem to be part of our daily life
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 06:43 PM   #21906
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

I haven't seen one in ages.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 06:44 PM   #21907
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Not yet found a place in Turin but I already have a couple appointments to see some flats. I think I'll go for Moncalieri or Nichelino, not Turin city, because I hope they're a bit cheaper and they still are very close to my workplace.

It is a public research institute called Inrim. Afaik it's not under CNR, but it depends directly from Ministry of Research and Education.
It's a nice area, many parks. Not far from the office there is tram 4, which runs through the city.

When choosing home, consider that a new suburban line has been activated around the Nichelino area (Nichelino-Moncalieri-Lingotto stations are covered by S2), linking the city center too.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 06:49 PM   #21908
italystf

I wasn't referring just to the gypsies but to every sort of criminal\troublemaker.
In Europe the justice it's usually very protective towards civil rights (i.e. one is innocent until proven guilty and self-justice isn't allowed). Most time this is positive, but sometimes this attitude facilitates criminals and damage victims. In fact too many times criminals and victims are put on the same level.
For example in Italy if you attack a thieve in YOUR proprierty you may get a harsher punishment than the thieve itself because physical violence it's a worse crime than theft. A bit unfair, isn't it?
To me democracy means that everybody is treated like deserves, not everybody is treated equally. So if you CHOOSE to behave in a certain way (being criminals or troublemakers IS a choise, while being white, blacks or Asian isn't), you should expect a punishment.
If the justice was more honest-citizens-friendly, crime levels would be far lower.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Verso liked this post
Old September 13th, 2013, 07:37 PM   #21909
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
It's a nice area, many parks.
True, many parks, but I didn't like that area very much. It seemed kind of run down. Nichelino, which borders the area to the south, is one of the ugliest places I've seen in Northern Italy.

Problem with the place is the presence of Mirafiori: many horrible houses built up for workers during the 60s and very few cafes and shops.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 07:58 PM   #21910
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I haven't seen one in ages.
Me neither. Just thousands of them Mostly in TV

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 09:13 PM   #21911
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Congratulations

I hope you don't have to commute 250 kilometers each way before finding a place to live in Torino.

I have several colleagues who commute 90 minutes one way, for relatively short distances (under 60 kilometers). They use public transport because the employer pays for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Won't they pay for fuel?
My cousin, civil engineer, who works for a German construction company, for about six month period of time had to travel from his place near Viersen to
Frankfurt (about 250km) After one week he got fed up, gave up car and decided to use train instead, until contract ended. I also commuted some longer distances to work, however it was only 80 km per direction, all the way up motorway and just 3 days a week.
Old September 13th, 2013, 11:39 PM   #21912
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
My cousin, civil engineer, who works for a German construction company, for about six month period of time had to travel from his place near Viersen to
Frankfurt (about 250km) After one week he got fed up, gave up car and decided to use train instead, until contract ended. I also commuted some longer distances to work, however it was only 80 km per direction, all the way up motorway and just 3 days a week.
When I was working in Bologna I had two coworkers, one commuting daily from Milan (more than 200 km), the other one from Verona (150 km). I think they spent more than half of their salaries in train travel.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 11:53 PM   #21913
albertocsc
Translator and traveller

Likes (Received): 49

My technical drawing teacher, an architect in Madrid, commutes to our city (185 km, 55 min) to give classes and help us with projects, three times a week in a High Speed Train.
albertocsc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 11:59 PM   #21914
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertocsc View Post
My technical drawing teacher, an architect in Madrid, commutes to our city (185 km, 55 min) to give classes and help us with projects, three times a week in a High Speed Train.
Except commuting by car, distance does not matter. Time is the most essential. Commuting within 55 minutes is completely normal. I used to commute 70 minutes everyday to my high school and I considered it normal. It was only about 13 km but public transport make commuting took a much more time (especially in winter).

Old September 14th, 2013, 12:21 AM   #21915
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Except commuting by car, distance does not matter. Time is the most essential. Commuting within 55 minutes is completely normal. I used to commute 70 minutes everyday to my high school and I considered it normal. It was only about 13 km but public transport make commuting took a much more time (especially in winter).
Money it's even a bigger issue than distance and time. You can get up earlier or return home later but if you spend too much for fuel\tolls or train you may have problems to arrive at the end of the month.
Old September 14th, 2013, 12:39 AM   #21916
italystf

Meanwhile in Vatican city:

The Pope and a priest from Verona (who was the driver) were shouted and stopped by Swiss Guards while trying the new Papamobile because they didn't fasten their seatbelts and drove wrong way (although there is not public motorized traffic inside the Vatican).
http://www.blogo.it/news/politica/re...lla-renault-4/

volodaaaa, Verso liked this post
Old September 14th, 2013, 12:44 AM   #21917
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Money it's even a bigger issue than distance and time. You can get up earlier or return home later but if you spend too much for fuel\tolls or train you may have problems to arrive at the end of the month.
No doubt, money is the most important and limiting factor responsible for commuting itself But it might be very individual in every particular case (e.g. whether employer donates your travel costs or whether you travel within an integrated transportation system with some benefits and discounts, etc.)

Old September 14th, 2013, 02:46 AM   #21918
Peines
Peter

Likes (Received): 99

Just a small tiny cat purring…

…just a small tiny cat purring…
Peines no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2013, 03:28 AM   #21919
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Forget Gibraltar, Road_UK: France has apparently annexed the Channel Islands: http://www.lefigaro.fr/culture/2013/...-decouvrir.php

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2013, 05:08 AM   #21920
albertocsc
Translator and traveller

Likes (Received): 49

Germany once did, why France can't?
albertocsc no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways