daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 17th, 2013, 10:46 PM   #22001
Lum Lumi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1531

How is it "bullshit" for people to want self-determination? Particularly if they've already had an independent state that was partitioned due to some agreement. One can argue the relative merit of their demands, but to dismiss it as "bullshit" is to be short-sighted and, quite frankly, needlessly dismissive of other people's rights to free speech/thought and assembly.
Lum Lumi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 17th, 2013, 10:54 PM   #22002
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Likes (Received): 9721

Trst can into freedoms from Italy again!
bozenBDJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2013, 10:54 PM   #22003
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Like Catalonia right now. I'm sure that bullshit will cease after the current crisis is gone.
Or Basque countries. Or Scotland.

In 1954, instead, the whole population of Trieste was happily celebrating the reunification with Italy!
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2013, 10:54 PM   #22004
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lum Lumi View Post
How is it "bullshit" for people to want self-determination?
Yeah, let's all of us have self-determination! I want my apartment to be an independent nation. Spinozistan!
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2013, 10:58 PM   #22005
bogdymol
bogdymod

What if your neighbours want to demolish their -stan? Your country will remain floating in air?
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2013, 11:00 PM   #22006
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
What if your neighbours want to demolish their -stan? Your country will remain floating in air?
I live on the first floor. And host no terrorists. And got no oil, aside from olive oil.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2013, 11:07 PM   #22007
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lum Lumi View Post
How is it "bullshit" for people to want self-determination? Particularly if they've already had an independent state that was partitioned due to some agreement. One can argue the relative merit of their demands, but to dismiss it as "bullshit" is to be short-sighted and, quite frankly, needlessly dismissive of other people's rights to free speech/thought and assembly.
Because it's not an entity like Kosovo, Scotland, Catalonia, Kurdistan,... that has its own history, its own language, its own tradition.
It's a city that had always been related with the Italian (Venetian) sphere. They just exploited a beaurocratic bug to try to avoid Italian taxes.

Same thing with Padania, it never existed as historical-cultural region neither as political entity neither as geographical entity (Pianura Padana exists, but not Padania that includes also Alps and Appennins). It's only a wanna-be state created by a political movement that's very controversial because of its xenofobic and backward ideology and that has a lot less supporter than those it used to have.
There are never been historically a "Padanian folk", a "Padanian culture" or a "Padanian language".

Of course in a free country every different opinion it's allowed, except violence and racial hate.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old September 17th, 2013, 11:14 PM   #22008
italystf

Interesting map: ethnic composition of Venezia Giulia in 1880:

Not the whole Istria was ethnically Italian, unlike most Italians now think. Fiume was about fifty-fifty Italians and Croats and around 30% of Trieste population was Slovenian.
Old September 17th, 2013, 11:31 PM   #22009
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Because it's not an entity like Kosovo, Scotland, Catalonia, Kurdistan,... that has its own history, its own language, its own tradition.
It's a city that had always been related with the Italian (Venetian) sphere. They just exploited a beaurocratic bug to try to avoid Italian taxes.

Same thing with Padania, it never existed as historical-cultural region neither as political entity neither as geographical entity (Pianura Padana exists, but not Padania that includes also Alps and Appennins). It's only a wanna-be state created by a political movement that's very controversial because of its xenofobic and backward ideology and that has a lot less supporter than those it used to have.
There are never been historically a "Padanian folk", a "Padanian culture" or a "Padanian language".

Of course in a free country every different opinion it's allowed, except violence and racial hate.
I think Lum Lumi was talking about Catalonia. Not that I'm taking a position on that or any other of these....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2013, 11:37 PM   #22010
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

There were Slovenes east of Poreč/Parenzo?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 12:53 AM   #22011
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

What about Romanians?
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 12:57 AM   #22012
Verso
Islander

Yes, Istro-Romanians.
Old September 18th, 2013, 12:58 AM   #22013
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
What about Romanians?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Istro-Romanians

That language it's virtually extinct now.

BTW, I had no idea about a former Italian community in Veglia\Krk (although I've been there). This island didn't became Italian after WWI.
Old September 18th, 2013, 01:06 AM   #22014
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4009

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
It's interesting situation here because "stan" in Serbian means "apartment".

g.spinoza liked this post
Alex_ZR está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 01:13 AM   #22015
Broccolli

Likes (Received): 936

0:43

Kjer se prepirata dva tretji dobiček ima (Where two are fighting a third gets the profit)

Nikola Tesla was Istro-Romanian ?

Verso liked this post
Broccolli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 01:29 AM   #22016
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

Quote:
Interesting map: ethnic composition of Venezia Giulia in 1880:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...8ethnic%29.JPG
Not the whole Istria was ethnically Italian, unlike most Italians now think. Fiume was about fifty-fifty Italians and Croats and around 30% of Trieste population was Slovenian.
yes, looks accurate. I love my region for it's national diversity
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 01:36 AM   #22017
Lum Lumi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1531

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Yeah, let's all of us have self-determination! I want my apartment to be an independent nation. Spinozistan!
I know you're trying to be humorous, but you've just made my point: if you can get others - including recognized states - to recognize your apartment as an independent state, then it's an independent state. It's not like places like San Marino or even the Vatican are much larger than some rich guy's bachelor pad. The point is the right to free speech, not that your apartment automatically qualifies.

Quote:

I understand it's not quite separate or specific enough as a region to be given the kind of serious consideration others may have been given, but my point wasn't that it deserved such consideration, but that those people are allowed to want such a thing. Wether they get it, or are subsequently recognized is another thing. In the case of Trieste, more than likely - not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I think Lum Lumi was talking about Catalonia. Not that I'm taking a position on that or any other of these....
I was talking about Trieste, but the same thing applies to Catalonia or any other region that may want to separate from a certain state. I'm not taking a position on whether they should be recognized; I'm merely arguing that those people have a right to protest and demand certain things as long as there's no hatred or violence against civilians involved. In any case, it's a complex topic so I'll bow out of this one from now on.
Lum Lumi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 01:38 AM   #22018
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Likes (Received): 9721

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ZR View Post
It's interesting situation here because "stan" in Serbian means "apartment".
A country 'destroyed' because of an apartment .
bozenBDJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 01:53 AM   #22019
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

uh, I missed the previous page. funny stuff
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 02:39 AM   #22020
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
What about Romanians?
Anyway, even better are Megleno-Romanians in Greece. It means "foggy Romanians" in Slovenian.

cinxxx, volodaaaa liked this post

Tags
highways, motorways